• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution (XBLA) New Screens + Trailer Tomorrow

see5harp

I'm sure you can create your own levels but to upload or download other levels I'm sure you'll need Gold. I don't think the custom levels are the appeal of this game for the majority of fans, it's just a nice bonus for a $15 game.

U2NUMB

I'm sure you can create your own levels but to upload or download other levels I'm sure you'll need Gold. I don't think the custom levels are the appeal of this game for the majority of fans, it's just a nice bonus for a $15 game.

Depends on how good the rating system is. The best levels should float to the top and with the sales of the first Trails on XBLA the pool of good levels could be high.

Either way I am all for everything that is happening in this game.

Edit: Grabbed this shot showing the community made maps area.

trialsevolutiontracks.jpg

szaromir

Banned
I think this time they'll be a major attraction since they'll be kept on MS's/RedLynx' servers and each will hold leaderboards and ghosts of the best 1000 runs or so. Not sure if it's going to require Gold, I had a gold subscription when I played Trials HD so I had all services available, I'd love some clarification from the developer on the matter.

derFeef

Depends on how good the rating system is. The best levels should float to the top and with the sales of the first Trails on XBLA the pool of good levels could be high.

Either way I am all for everything that is happening in this game.

Edit: Grabbed this shot showing the community made maps area.

trialsevolutiontracks.jpg

I guess Supercross is Mulitplayer, and Skill Game is the weird all-you-can-imagine stuff?
Man I really hope that is also playable in multi.

Haunted

Supercross looked cool. Too bad I don't have gold.

Not interested in the editor stuff.

Looking forward to the new trial levels.

derFeef

I'm less hyped after seeing the trailer. I can't be the only one who thinks the LBP turn isn't needed.

I think you can pretty much ignore the editor stuff if you want to. Basic trials stuff looks still stellar and multiplayer should get anyone excited, even if its not that crazy/hard.

Chris R

I think you can pretty much ignore it. Basic trials stuff looks still stellar and multiplayer should get anyone excited, even if its not that crazy/hard.

I'm just hoping that the time they spent adding in the stuff I'd never even look at doesn't detract from the parts I'd use, because it did look pretty in depth.

Haunted

I'm just hoping that the time they spent adding in the stuff I'd never even look at doesn't detract from the parts I'd use, because it did look pretty in depth.
Well, yeah.

Of course they could've probably spent more time creating tracks and trials if they weren't concerned with the editor stuff, but you know. Bullet points.

edit: and leveraging their pretty active community more could pay off in the long run.

derFeef

Well, yeah.

Of course they could've probably spent more time creating tracks and trials if they weren't concerned with the editor stuff, but you know. Bullet points.

edit: and leveraging their pretty active community more could pay off in the long run.

How many tracks are there?

szaromir

Banned
Well, yeah.

That's just idiotic. They already had a robust level editor from Trials HD, now that they made a new engine (which they had to do to allow different graphical themes and more DLC) they explore new possibilities with new engine and arrived at the current state. I imagine the editor evolved organically, not because the guy from the marketing department told to.

Anywho I don't think the shipped game will be content starved.

Atomski

I'm less hyped after seeing the trailer. I can't be the only one who thinks the LBP turn isn't needed.

Blows my mind people can complain about this. The level editor was great in Trials HD but there was no easy way to share games besides your friends. This new editor is a dream come true being able to upload stuff. I can only imagine some of the awesome tracks people will make.. hell I am sure there will end up being a neogaf thread dedicated to it.

Chris R

Blows my mind people can complain about this. The level editor was great in Trials HD but there was no easy way to share games besides your friends. This new editor is a dream come true being able to upload stuff. I can only imagine some of the awesome tracks people will make.. hell I am sure there will end up being a neogaf thread dedicated to it.

I'm not complaining about being able to share trials tracks with people, I was talking about the shooter/fps/ect stuff in the trailer.

edit: But just to be clear since some people are having issues understanding, I'll only be disappointed if the EXTRA stuff takes away from the core stuff that I loved about Trials HD. If the core game (IE the part I'll be playing) is just as good if not better than Trials HD I won't even care about the extra stuff. I just don't want to see the core suffer at the expense of the additional features.

jenkki

Neo Member
Hi guys, Jenkki from RedLynx here. My NeoGaf registration came through just a couple days ago, so good timing. :)

First, thanks for all the positive feedback! And thanks to OdysseusVA for starting the thread. I thought I'd answer a few questions that came up:

1. "doesn't look good"
The screen shots in first post don't look very good, because they are not official, and they seem to have spread from a forum into several news stories. The official new screens that went out with that trailer to the press are for example here:
http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/02/trials-evolution-gameplay-trailer-release-date-unleashed/
or here:
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/121/1217826p1.html
other official ones here:
http://redlynx.com/trials-evolution

2. "abandoned PC" / "Maybe the next one after this will be PS4/Next Xbox/PC"
Can't speak about future plans as you understand, but we are a multi-platform developer.

3. "Any word on if the user track sharing system is more than just what your friends built?"
Track Central is an integral part of the game, can be seen in the new trailer from 1:22 on. No need to have people on your friends list, you have access to EVERYTHING anyone has built, and can search, look at top-rated tracks, RedLynx picks, your friend's creations, or create your own custom searches, filtering by difficulty setting, mp/sp tracks, etc.

4. "I hope the leaning back and forth is analogue this time. As much as I loved Trials HD it felt like it would've benefited more from gradual leaning instead of the on/off style lean."
The control scheme is same in Trials HD and Trials Evolution.

5. editor capabilities
:)

6. "So excited! When does this release allready?"
Spring 2012 as in the trailer. When we get closer to launch and know the actual date, we can share it.

7. "Holy balls at that trailer. No way this is 15 dollars right? Gotta be 20 at least with that much content. "
We haven't given a price except to say we expect it to be in line with the previous game.

8. "BTW, who's the band in that clip?"
We have some great voice and music talent which will be shared.

9. "hope the editor isn't a pain in the ass to use with a pad."
There are two modes for the editor: LITE is easy for quickly laying down fun tracks, PRO lets you do more advanced things, whether extremely sophisticated tracks or your own skill games, as shown in the trailer. Our level designers use Xbox controllers and the exact same editor that comes with the game to create the tracks and skill games.

10. "I hope the sharing system is solid and everything can be played in multiplayer/over LIVE."
User created tracks can be played Multiplayer over Live. The actual file size of a track is less than 10kb, so downloading should be a snap.

11. "How many tracks are there? "
Right now we are at about 60 to 70 tracks.

12. "I imagine the editor evolved organically, not because the guy from the marketing department told to."
Definitely that. I didn't tell them what to do with the editor :)

As said, best to check out the trailer on the Dashboard, or a gaming site that has it up in high-def. We also made a high-res version of the trailer available here:
http://download.redlynxtrials.com/download/trials_evolution_gameplay_trailer_1.mov
WARNING! 800 MB.

Thanks for your feedback!

Atomski

I'm not complaining about being able to share trials tracks with people, I was talking about the shooter/fps/ect stuff in the trailer.

I am sure they just showed that to give people an idea of how robust the editor is. I doubt you will see nearly as much of that content compared to normal tracks and skill games.

BigMack

Surely there is going to be a way to see ALL the maps people put up, right?

Also hope there is a way to click on a gamertag and see all of the maps that person has uploaded (for when you find someone who's tracks you really like.)

jenkki

Neo Member
jenkki, can you elaborate on the kind of options you guys have for offline multiplayer? Any forge-like multiplayer editing/creating of tracks too?

Hi Enzo,

The editor doesn't support multiple authors, however four player, local offline multiplayer is fully supported. We are big believers in living room gaming. That mode has the same tracks, mostly the same options (no need for lobbies, etc.), as online, just that your scores are not recorded to online Leader Boards.

You can use in-game or user-created tracks in multiplayer mode, both offline and online.

4 player looks glorious!
I tell you this thread & the Reckoning thread are reminders of just how awesome NeoGAF is.

Thanks for posting Jenkki.

PaulLFC

Hi guys, Jenkki from RedLynx here. My NeoGaf registration came through just a couple days ago, so good timing. :)
Welcome, really looking forward to Evolution, Trials HD was amazing. Couple of questions though - firstly how many user-created tracks can we save, both ones we create ourselves locally, and ones downloaded from online? Is there a limit to the number of tracks that can be saved? Also, what is the limit for the number of objects you can place within a user-created level? Lastly I assume Evolution will retain the friend leaderboards in single player that made Trials HD so addictive?

jenkki

Neo Member
Welcome, really looking forward to Evolution, Trials HD was amazing. Couple of questions though - firstly how many user-created tracks can we save, both ones we create ourselves locally, and ones downloaded from online? Is there a limit to the number of tracks that can be saved? Also, what is the limit for the number of objects you can place within a user-created level? Lastly I assume Evolution will retain the friend leaderboards in single player that made Trials HD so addictive?

Hi Paul!

The user-created tracks only take up 10 kilobytes or less of space, because they are essentially small data files telling the program where objects are, what logic is attached, etc. So storage space really shouldn't be an issue - we haven't encountered any yet.

You can put a lot of objects into a level before performance starts to lag, it really depends on the object itself, how complex it is, and how much logic you put into it, and how many effects. The level designers were joking around last week, "Don't make a level with 1,000 exploding basketballs using flame effects!" Beyond that, I would defer to someone on the programming team for more specifics, but as you can see in the video the level designers have put in large numbers of objects.

Friend-filtered Leader Boards absolutely are a part of it, no way we take that away :)

Going to log off now - late here in Finland :) - but a good place for these kind of questions is also our forum, www.redlynxgame.com where developers also can answer the more technical questions better than I can.

Thanks all for your interest, and I'll bookmark this thread.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hi Enzo,

The editor doesn't support multiple authors, however four player, local offline multiplayer is fully supported. We are big believers in living room gaming. That mode has the same tracks, mostly the same options (no need for lobbies, etc.), as online, just that your scores are not recorded to online Leader Boards.

You can use in-game or user-created tracks in multiplayer mode, both offline and online.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

And I never expected as sort, because that's a huge undertaking, but having user-created tracks in offline multiplayer is going to be awesome. And I believe in and support anyone who believes in offline gaming, so y'all got my purchase. Keep up the good work :)

Hi Paul!

The user-created tracks only take up 10 kilobytes or less of space, because they are essentially small data files telling the program where objects are, what logic is attached, etc. So storage space really shouldn't be an issue - we haven't encountered any yet.

You can put a lot of objects into a level before performance starts to lag, it really depends on the object itself, how complex it is, and how much logic you put into it, and how many effects. The level designers were joking around last week, "Don't make a level with 1,000 exploding basketballs using flame effects!" Beyond that, I would defer to someone on the programming team for more specifics, but as you can see in the video the level designers have put in large numbers of objects.

Friend-filtered Leader Boards absolutely are a part of it, no way we take that away :)

Going to log off now - late here in Finland :) - but a good place for these kind of questions is also our forum, www.redlynxgame.com where developers also can answer the more technical questions better than I can.

Is this game going to be harder than Dark Souls?

Seriously tho - it looks so fantastic. I cant wait. I would pay full price for a retail release. cant believe this is going to be a XBLA game.

PaulLFC

Hi Paul!

Thanks for the replies, this game is sounding better and better all the time, definite buy for me as soon as it's released!

Spiegel

I need this game.

New Alan Wake AND new Trials released only a few months apart and both looking really great?
XBLA just won the first half of 2012.

Top Bottom