• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trigger Happy Havoc Dangan Ronpa: Early 2014 for US and Europe

Hmmmmmm, it's quite hard to safely research this game. I really don't want to be spoiled, but I feel like there are a lot of spoilers out there in the open. (One thing has been semi-spoiled for me already...)

Stay off the internet folks.

Heya, longtime lurker, basically first-time poster (haven't posted since 2006, holy crap).

Anyway, I'm the script editor on Dangan Ronpa and since I think it's super duper level awesome and I'm positively giddy that people are looking forward to it so much, I thought I'd throw out a couple quick things.

- The plan right now is to have dual audio, so unless something crazy happens, that should be set.

- We're working on casting right now. Yes we're taking it very seriously, and yes some of these characters are a very big pain in the butt to try and find the right actor.

- We were/are aware of the fan translation, but we determined pretty early on that for a number of reasons, doing everything in-house was the way for us to go. I don't think I can really get more specific than that.

- I don't know what the timeline looks like, but it will be coming to Europe.

- I can't say anything about physical/digital cuz we haven't started working on that, but if you look at our history, pretty much the only things that have been digital are later PSP titles (with the exception of Clan of Champions, which...yeah).

- I can't really say anything about the sequel either, but I can say that everyone should buy copies of Dangan 1 for all their friends and family.

- With how much exposure the story already has, I'm sure our version will disappoint a few people no matter what we do, but everyone working on the game is super pumped about it and we hope our effort comes across, even for those who don't necessarily dig it.

If people have any other questions, I can do my best to answer, but no promises on that end!

Appreciate all the hard work. Going by your enthusiasm, it seems you're confident you have a great game being developed.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hmmmmmm, it's quite hard to safely research this game. I really don't want to be spoiled, but I feel like there are a lot of spoilers out there in the open. (One thing has been semi-spoiled for me already...)

Stay off the internet folks.

I only looked stuff up after I finished it, and yeah. I will say that people should stay away from looking at even official artwork and even the list of voice actors since I have seen some things that can be considered spoilers.

Aytrial

I starting play Danganronpa a couple of days ago since I couldn't figure out exactly how it played by researching and I...actually ended up finishing it today.

tumblr_ljwk3guBjt1qagu2oo1_500.gif

I want more. Nay, I need more! Plus, I really want to try out the additional features of the Vita release now. I hope NISA gives us a definite release date soon.

Labrys

Website is up. I'm not completely sure if they're just splash screens but these are the translated "specialties":
Sayaka is Pop Star
Celes is Gambler
Leon is Baseball star
Togami is Affluent Progeny
Mondo is Gangster
Sakura is Martial Artist
Hagakure is Clairvoyant
Fukawa is Writer
Asahina is Swimming Pro
Junko is Fashionista
Chihiro is Programmer
Naegi is Lucky Student
Ishimaru is Moral Compass
Yamada is Fatty

Now, like I said, I dunno if these are the specialties, but is "Fatty" for Yamada really necessary? His Japanese title was "Doujin Writer", and the translation they used on their website was "Otaku". Neither of those have anything to do with being fat.
...It probably sounds really whiny, but Yamada's one of my favorite characters, and there's more to him than being the "fatty comic relief". I'd honestly rather see him treated better.

Aytrial

I think "Nerd" or "Geek" would've been more appropriate for Yamada if "Otaku" wasn't going to be used. Fatty is just more of an insult and doesn't imply any particular specialty. All of the other specialties I find are acceptable interpretations when compared to Project Zetsubou's translation.

kewlmyc

Website is up. I'm not completely sure if they're just splash screens but these are the translated "specialties":
Sayaka is Pop Star
Celes is Gambler
Leon is Baseball star
Togami is Affluent Progeny
Mondo is Gangster
Sakura is Martial Artist
Hagakure is Clairvoyant
Fukawa is Writer
Asahina is Swimming Pro
Junko is Fashionista
Chihiro is Programmer
Naegi is Lucky Student
Ishimaru is Moral Compass
Yamada is Fatty

Now, like I said, I dunno if these are the specialties, but is "Fatty" for Yamada really necessary? His Japanese title was "Doujin Writer", and the translation they used on their website was "Otaku". Neither of those have anything to do with being fat.
...It probably sounds really whiny, but Yamada's one of my favorite characters, and there's more to him than being the "fatty comic relief". I'd honestly rather see him treated better.

I'm fine with everything but Fatty and Gangster. Fatty doesn't really describe his profession and Gangster doesn't work since there's an actual gangster (mafia) in the second game. Mondo is more a thug than a gangster.

After finishing chapter 1, I just want to say people are in for a treat. This has the potential to be another Zero Escape series in the sense it brings more awareness to semi-standard visual novels. This really deserves to succeed in the west and I wish NIS the best of luck. I will definitely be picking it up once I get a Vita (or even before that).

Definitely not feeling fatty. Affluent Progeny and Moral Compass sound a little odd to me, but I think they still work well enough. Otherwise these are pretty good.

Squire

Banned
I'm fine with everything but Fatty and Gangster. Fatty doesn't really describe his profession and Gangster doesn't work since there's an actual gangster (mafia) in the second game. Mondo is more a thug than a gangster.

Sort of arguing semantics there.

I imagine "Fatty" will be changed if they care about the reaction it seems to be getting. I just don't think it'll fly.

Squire

Banned
Sorry, my mind just jumps immediately to mafia when someone mentions gangster.

Sure, I can understand that. There is of course actually a difference between the two terms, but they're both thrown around so generally they've become ostensibly synonymous slang.

Aytrial

After finishing chapter 1, I just want to say people are in for a treat. This has the potential to be another Zero Escape series in the sense it brings more awareness to semi-standard visual novels. This really deserves to succeed in the west and I wish NIS the best of luck. I will definitely be picking it up once I get a Vita (or even before that).

I believe with enough advertising and word-of-mouth, Danganronpa has the potential to be quite the hit like VLR for the Vita. Between the two, I enjoyed Danganropa a lot more as I found the characters far more relatable (especially Naegi, poor guy is almost like me in many respects).

Houk

NISA
I'll have to look into it more when I'm in the office tomorrow, but the files we were supplied with to do the website translation used the term 'debu' for Hifumi, which basically means 'fat person'.

As pointed out, the current JP website does say otaku, so that might be something that got updated without updating our reference files. So maybe we can look at changing it around.

That being said though, 'otaku' and its possible translations don't exactly carry much better connotations in English than fatty, so we'll see.

Either way, like I said on our official forums, his in-game title will be in line with the Japanese, so I don't think anyone has too much to worry about in that regard.

As for Mondo, 'Gangster' won't be his final title, but his full title is a little long to fit on a website splash page, and this was an acceptable shorthand for us for now.

Eusis

I'm actually sorta disappointed they changed that given that's essentially what it said on the Japanese site. Yeah, it'd have been terrible to put in game, but as some gag at the end of a character reel it seems fine albeit crass and somewhat insensitive.

Squire

Banned
I'm actually sorta disappointed they changed that given that's essentially what it said on the Japanese site. Yeah, it'd have been terrible to put in game, but as some gag at the end of a character reel it seems fine albeit crass and somewhat insensitive.

I think that's exactly what made it not fine for some people.

PK Gaming

Will I get it, Will I get it?

Yes I will, Yes I will ♪

This is something i've been looking forward to for a long ass time

Houk

NISA

After looking at it, the final version of the Japanese site did seem to have "otaku" so if for no other reason than to be accurate to that, we decided to change it.

Eusis

I think that's exactly what made it not fine for some people.
Given the game I do wonder how much mattered. Still, when it's not something like South Park in tone it's probably useless offense, especially with this:
After looking at it, the final version of the Japanese site did seem to have "otaku" so if for no other reason than to be accurate to that, we decided to change it.
Ah, yeah, then it's pretty black and white.
I wonder if the same thing happened when they originally had 'debu' up :/
This would make it strangely fitting.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can i say that the title is really stupid and that ruin the mood? Trigger "happy" havoc? There's nothing happy in this game, and there's no trigger, those word bullets have no gun!
If that title is a taste of the translation work... I don't want to think about this! I'm super happy for being finally able to play daganronpa! XD

Tizoc

Can i say that the title is really stupid and that ruin the mood? Trigger "happy" havoc? There's nothing happy in this game, and there's no trigger, those word bullets have no gun!
If that title is a taste of the translation work... I don't want to think about this! I'm super happy for being finally able to play daganronpa! XD

Far as I can tell 'Trigger happy' is more representing and referring to the 'Havoc'.
WHY MUST 2014 BE SO FAR AWAY!

zeopower6

Are you not aware of the phrase "Trigger Happy"?

Squire

Banned

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
English is not my mother language, i though that the actual way to say "trigger happy" was "trigger easy" lol.
Anyway i'm still not convinced by the title.

Labrys

I'm happy we're getting Island Mode, it seems to be a fun little addition.
Also, sorry if I sounded a bit whiny/complainy before, I honestly was just looking for reasoning. I still trust how you guys are going about the translation, a little bump isn't gonna change that, ahah.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, "Fanboy" is much better, and I think would probably even work better than "Otaku" in this case as it clearly identifies the type of person without specifically calling out one type.

zeopower6

Yeah, "Fanboy" is much better, and I think would probably even work better than "Otaku" in this case as it clearly identifies the type of person without specifically calling out one type.

Isn't 'otaku' normally used in a general sense in Japan? Like one of the girls from ClariS is a 'Disney otaku' or you could be an otaku for various other things that don't really refer to anime/manga exactly.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Isn't 'otaku' normally used in a general sense in Japan? Like one of the girls from ClariS is a 'Disney otaku' or you could be an otaku for various other things that don't really refer to anime/manga exactly.

It is, but in America "otaku" specifically refers to anime/manga fans.

Top Bottom