• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple Your Switch Battery Life: The Best Portable Chargers Tested! (Digital Foundry)

Cuburt

Now these are the type of tests I've been wanting to see. Much appreciated.

The real world tests are at least a little more conclusive than 90% of the speculative talking I've seen online.

From what I've seen the Switch seems to cap charging speeds for most chargers anyways, with PD being slightly better in some circumstances? It at least makes the choice easier for people who don't know what to get, so their choice mainly comes down to how much battery capacity you want/need. That and many powerbanks that you may already have should be fine because you will only get a trickle charge while playing no matter what battery you get.

Wait, this is a thing? As in, any power bank could potentially fry your Switch, or only specific models?

USB-C compliance to the standards is the wild wild west right now. So there are more things out there that has a chance of frying your system than there are things that won't. You really need to be careful about which items you buy and which have been verified to be compliant. Just because someone tried it once for a day and worked isn't proof of compliance.

Cuburt

Wait, this is a thing? As in, any power bank could potentially fry your Switch, or only specific models?

Well there has been lots of talk about how the quality of USB-C cables are important since some may not have the proper wiring to charge due to USB-C requirements being new and not consistent across all cables, or something like that. I don't know exactly, I just know that people were saying that with USB-C specifically the quality of the cable does matter right now.

Also, USB-C uses Power Delivery as it's quick charging standard while many chargers have Quickcharge 3.0 which is Qualcomm's proprietary quick charging solution which is not compatible with USB-C standards so I think people were saying there could be a potential incompatibility problem there. I don't if it will fry your Switch, but it isn't designed to work with QC3.0, and at the very least may not charge properly even if it doesn't fry your Switch. At least that's my understanding from reading what others said about it, it might just be that if your charger has QC 3.0, it's better to use the USB port that doesn't use it to be on the safe side.

This stuff is really really irritating to me. I've been looking for half a day and I still dont know what exactly to get. I just want a list of cables and chargers that will work and not fry my Switch.

shiyrley

Banned
I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen a battery case for the switch yet

Though I'm sure that'll be coming at some point

Nyko made a grip for the original 3DS.

large.jpg

I don't think it sold well because they never made it for later models. In fact I saw them for $5 at Best Buy. That's how I got a second one which is still in box somewhere.

Cyanity

Banned
I've been using the 20100mAh Ravpower and it works great. No problems whatsoever so far. It also has enough power to charge the switch while BotW is running.

edit - it also fits perfectly in the Sheikah Slate accessories pouch, with enough space left over for the joy con grips, a pair of earbuds, and a usb c cord.

BTA

I got the slightly smaller RAV one when it was on sale (like a lot of people here seem to - I did get it because it was posted in a thread on here, after all) and though I haven't had much reason to test it out yet, it's been helpful enough already. I'm surprised to hear they're that good though, huh! I was surprised yesterday when I managed to get the Switch charging from it while it was charging, though I'm hesitant to do that again (I only did it because I packed the near-dead battery instead of the AC charger for some unknown reason).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I bought the Ravpower 26800 with the Anker USB c to a cable but now the internet is telling my switch will explode.

Why is this so hard?

Cuburt

So I bought the Ravpower 26800 with the Anker USB c to a cable but now the internet is telling my switch will explode.

Why is this so hard?

Honestly I don't think it is.

Personally, I think people are blowing hypothetical situations out of proportion. Not saying that there couldn't be compatibility issues that can cause real problems and some products will be better made than others, but I think if you are getting reputable cables and powerbanks that aren't known to cause issues with other electronics, you should be fine.

DayEnder

"Buy a stand that raises the Switch off your table" seems to be the only advice I can give you there.

It's kinda sad how the Wii U gamepad has an AC port on the bottom for the charging cradle and the top for normal charging while playing but the Switch only has on on the bottom , which is awkward for charging while playing it and makes it almost impossible to charge it while using the kickstand.

Dang. What I figured, but buying a second stand to take with you isn't practical for a scenario like on a plane... or truly on the go. Also, it just adds to the accessory clutter.

I always keep a small power bank in my bag to use with phone/devices anyways, but needing a Switch specific stand just seem like a poor design choice. Thanks for the replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not completely true. This applies to power adapters and portable batteries too.

Is there a single case anywhere of a USB-C to USB-C power bank frying a Switch, I'm not aware of one. Or a single case of USB-A to USB-C even, that doesn't involve cheap cables that don't met the standards.

I'm not doubting it could happen, somehow, it's just look at the size of the thread over the dock issue that is very isolated, you'd think if Switch's were being destroyed by power banks left and right there'd be a quite sizable thread about it too...

Luigi87

My Anker 20100 mAh Type-C charged my Switch great.
The only problem is once the Switch hit 100%, the battery automatically switched modes and then began to charge off of it.

I've got a USB C -> C powerbank with 15k mah capacity. Tested it last night with Zelda, and was glad to see it charging whilst playing.

Poppyseed

I dont know what is even going on anymore but I ordered the Anker PowerCore 10000 without quick charge since that's apparently bad for the Switch? Amazon only had that one in white of course but I don't care at this point.

And then this to charge the PowerCore.

Bought the same powercore. ~9 hours total Zelda unplugged at medium brightness is plenty for me, and only 180g. Perfect. Cannot fathom the point of the huge 26,800 units unless you're nowhere near an outlet for days.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Adamator

I just ordered the Anker Powercore 13000:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9QVE4Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would I be wrong to assume that this will work just as well (if not better) as the Anker 10000? The 13000 is around the same price as the Anker 10000 and has two USB slots for charging two products at a time, which could come in handy on the go.

Wondering myself about this exact same same one. I'd assume it's just as good as the 10000 or a bit better.

cilonen

I've got an Imuto 20000mAh that works brilliantly. Played it all evening (5-6h) last night and only used about 40% of it's capacity

McSpidey

One thing I would have liked to have seen tested is how fast the Switch charges from being flat to full on each powerbank across USB-C 3+amp powerbanks and USB-A to USB-C 2 amp powerbanks.

I have the most basic of basics 2000 battery and it doesn't charge up the switch while its being used but it does slow down the depletion, so the little stick gives an extra 45 minutes of play time or so which is not bad for how little I paid for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This guy's like a real-life superhero.

Bought the same powercore. ~9 hours total Zelda unplugged at medium brightness is plenty for me, and only 180g. Perfect. Cannot fathom the point of the huge 26,800 units unless you're nowhere near an outlet for days.

Agreed. I bought a ravpower 21000 one and it's great, but much heavier than my current newtrent 7000mah one (well duh). So much so that I don't think I'd take it out in my bag because along with laptop, switch, other things it'd get really heavy. Slightly regretting buying it, although it was a good price. Should have gone for a 10000 or so

Is there a single case anywhere of a USB-C to USB-C power bank frying a Switch, I'm not aware of one. Or a single case of USB-A to USB-C even, that doesn't involve cheap cables that don't met the standards.

I'm not doubting it could happen, somehow, it's just look at the size of the thread over the dock issue that is very isolated, you'd think if Switch's were being destroyed by power banks left and right there'd be a quite sizable thread about it too...

I'll have to find the links, but there have been a couple adapters and power banks that were ruled out by the Google guys as being risky and should be avoided. So I'm assuming there is potentially some risk.

Monoprice, Anker, or Amazon Basic. No need to overpay.

Not true. Go by the list verified by the two Google guys and there are reasons to get the more expensive cables. Like not all USB C cables support PD.

Zafir

Some good recommendations for someone who is just looking to find a good power bank without needing to know the finer details. Doesn't really go into charging speeds, where the Ravpower one should very easily beat the other two due to it supporting USB-C PD assuming you use a USB-C to USB-C cable in the right port.
I'll have to find the links, but there have been a couple adapters and power banks that were ruled out by the Google guys as being risky and should be avoided. So I'm assuming there is potentially some risk.

That's just the power adapter that is included with that ravpower power bank. That, and the one they sell separately incorrectly tell how much power they can offer and thus can cause devices to be fried.

As long as you don't use the charger that it comes with, the power bank itself is fine(albeit not perfect), and Nathan K actually mentions this himself.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Thank you to everyone who alerted the thread about the USB cable issue. Got a Switch on the way and the A to C cable I had bought to charge it made no mention of whether it managed the power draw correctly. Replaced it with the Anker cable recommended by Benson.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
USB standards are such a mess. Is there even a difference between USB-C and USB-A in their potential output? Isn't the difference in if it's 3.1/3.0 or older for USB-A, and the letter is essentially only to denote what type of plug it is? Or are there things in a C-to-C that can't be replicated in A-to-C? I should know this since I have several devices with USB-C but this shit is confusing.

Top Bottom