• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple Your Switch Battery Life: The Best Portable Chargers Tested! (Digital Foundry)

I'm pretty confused and maybe I got scammed. But I saw THIS listed on Amazon for $16 (normally $50-75) and bought it. Who knows what they'll end up shipping me and if it'll destroy my Switch/Pixel.

The thing that makes me nervous about the Anker PowerLine+ cable is this listed on their site...

This cable will not charge Nintendo Switch, Nexus 5X or 6P, Moto Z, Huawei Mate 9, Helio X20/X25, or OnePlus 3/3T at full speed.
The USB-C connector may not fit perfectly with Nintendo Switch, Sony XZ or LG V20

Something to worry about?

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a feeling this is the best Switch charger around:

It uses a USB C cable to charge and is incredibly small for a 10,000 mAH bank. Might even be able to strap it on the back of the Switch somehow.

is the pro version worth it, over the regular?
i'm still undecided, fi i should upgrade or not

TAS

The thing that makes me nervous about the Anker PowerLine+ cable is this listed on their site...

This cable will not charge Nintendo Switch, Nexus 5X or 6P, Moto Z, Huawei Mate 9, Helio X20/X25, or OnePlus 3/3T at full speed.
The USB-C connector may not fit perfectly with Nintendo Switch, Sony XZ or LG V20

I saw that last night when I was ordering. Still went ahead with the purchase along with the Powercore 10000. Anker makes solid products and I've never had a problem with them so I'm not worried.

I own that RAV power one from when it went on sale a few weeks back. Back to back 20 hour flights drove me to do so. Don't own a switch yet though so good to know it gets top marks.

linkboy

I have a Nexus 6P. The Nexus 6P won't rapid charge over a USB-C to USB-A cable, only USB C to C cables. That's what I'm assuming when it says it won't charge at full speed.

The only C to A cables that I have are the ones that came with my Pro Controller and I only use them as a way to hook my phone up to my computer (which they work very well, thank you Nintendo).

All of my other cables are C to C.

Bought the same powercore. ~9 hours total Zelda unplugged at medium brightness is plenty for me, and only 180g. Perfect. Cannot fathom the point of the huge 26,800 units unless you're nowhere near an outlet for days.

Hey, see you bought the same one (Anker PowerCore 10000 from the video). I was looking and Amazon does now have the black one available, and for $5 cheaper at that. So I cancelled and reordered. Thought you may want to as well if you had ordered from Amazon.

I've been using the 20100mAh Ravpower and it works great. No problems whatsoever so far. It also has enough power to charge the switch while BotW is running.

edit - it also fits perfectly in the Sheikah Slate accessories pouch, with enough space left over for the joy con grips, a pair of earbuds, and a usb c cord.

Have that one as well. Fits in my butter fox case nicely too.

Salaadin

I went with the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 after reading a bunch of reddit impressions. Its not featured in this video but it seems to do the trick. Its bulky but it does the trick.

TankRizzo

Banned
My Anker 20100 mAh Type-C charged my Switch great.
The only problem is once the Switch hit 100%, the battery automatically switched modes and then began to charge off of it.
Damn. I have this one. Would it Change if you disconnected the cable, press the button, and reconnect?

I went with the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 after reading a bunch of reddit impressions. Its not featured in this video but it seems to do the trick. Its bulky but it does the trick.

That looks like a good one. I almost got it but I just don't need one that big. The 10000 does not have a usb-c port, which sucks, but it's literally half the length and weight of the 20100 (which makes sense of course). It's good though because it looks like yours has USB-C and includes a usb-c/usb-c cable as well. The other thing though I was worried about is this:

My Anker 20100 mAh Type-C charged my Switch great.
The only problem is once the Switch hit 100%, the battery automatically switched modes and then began to charge off of it.
Is that a normal thing and how do you fix it? Would the Powercore 10000 likely have that issue also?

nubbe

I would imagine that the reason Switch starts to recharge USB-C devices is because it is designed to charge the Joycons.
It could maybe be fixed with a firmware update.

Salaadin

Is that a normal thing and how do you fix it? Would the Powercore 10000 likely have that issue also?

It's how the 20100 is designed. Not sure if it affects the 10000.

The 20100 only charges itself through its USB C port. You have to tell it when you're plugging in a USB C device by pressing a button prior to plugging the device in. If Luigi87 is correct, then it looks like the 20100 returns back into its default 'charge itself' state once it finishes charging whatever USB C device is plugged into it.

To get around it on the 20100, just use one of the regular USB ports and the included USB A to USB C cable.
Or, just don't plug in when you're at 100%.

linkboy

That is known and not the point.
It doesn't need to transfer power over the C port. But it could be doing that because it need to charge the Joycons by design.

It does if Nintendo wanted to stay compliant with USB-PD specifications.

KingV

I don't have that specific one, but have a different one that only supports 5V/2Amps.

My experience is that I can drain the power pack, but the switch will trickle discharge while playing. It doesn't provide enough juice for the power to go up while playin, but it discharges very very slowly compared to normal use (a couple percent an hour).

So if you wait until 5% power to plug it in, you won't get much more usage, but it will work pretty well if you plug it in at like 50%+.

I usually just plug it in when I first start playing on a flight or whatever.

One day I'll get a better battery pack, but not pressed about it now. I'm still getting 6+ hours.

If these could be added to the OP it'd probably save people some time.

Anker PowerCore 10000 - $23.99
The smallest and lightest reliable battery. Adds around 5 hours play time. Does not include necessary usb-c to usb-a cable to charge Switch. Does not include wall adapter to charge the PowerCore.

Lumsing 15000mAh
- $21.99
Cheapest. Has USB-C. Recommended to use usb-c to usb-c cable and not the QualComm quick charge port. Adds 6 hours 20 minutes play time. Includes Type-C cable. Does not include wall adapter for charging the Lumsing.

RAVpower 26800 - $50 - Currently unavailable at Amazon. Has USB-C. Adds 10 hours 20 minutes play time. Includes USB-C/USB-C cable. Does not include wall adapter for charging the Ravpower.

And if you don't have them lying around here are a couple wall outlet adapters to charge the batteries. I haven't tested these they're just popular/well reviewed on Amazon:
Aukey 2.4A - $8.99. Two ports.
Amazon Basics 2.4 amp - $6.99. Single port. Or you can buy a 2 pack for $11.

Would the USB wall plug charger from an iPad Air be able to charge the Anker 10000? (or any of these)

I'm no expert (the opposite really) but yeah I think that's fine. I just posted a couple of 2.4amp adapters since a lot of the regular ones you have with your phone or whatever are only 1 amp. I think regardless it'll charge, it may just take forever if you're using something crappy like a 1 amp.

Note that I may also not know wtf I'm talking about and using a 2.4 amp could fry your battery. So wait for someone to verify that is even true.

Luigi87

Damn. I have this one. Would it Change if you disconnected the cable, press the button, and reconnect?

That looks like a good one. I almost got it but I just don't need one that big. The 10000 does not have a usb-c port, which sucks, but it's literally half the length and weight of the 20100 (which makes sense of course). It's good though because it looks like yours has USB-C and includes a usb-c/usb-c cable as well. The other thing though I was worried about is this:

I'm uncertain as to both, as I've only charged it once (don't really wanna undock much until I get my tempered glass protector). It may just be an issue with the way the Anker's logic works when the Switch hit full charge and stops charging, or maybe it was a one time thing, I don't know for certain yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
is the pro version worth it, over the regular?
i'm still undecided, fi i should upgrade or not

For the Switch? Not really. Only benefit from a technical standpoint is Quickcharge, which the Switch doesn't support. For me, the main positive is the form factor. The Pro is just so tiny and thin that it's far more portable than any other 10,000 mAh battery pack I've used. It's perfect for the Switch for me since it fits nicely in my carrying case and really doesn't add much bulk if I need to keep it in my pocket. Plus, since it charges by USB-C, I can just plug it into my Switch dock's USB-C cable, which is convenient.

Here's another Lumsing that someone may like. I think it's called the Lumsing Grand A2 Plus. It's an inexpensive 13400mAh USB-C (and a quick charge usb-a which you don't want to use for the Switch). It's also relatively small. I'd like to see that one tested. I'd imagine it'd give 5.5 hours or so of play time just going off the other Lumsing from the video in the OP. No real idea though.

The more I reread the thread I see two types of usage from everyone and it may be getting lumped together:

Group 1: looking for full ability to fast charge Switch while playing. And in these cases, it's almost a must to find a PD spec battery and verified USB c to C cable.

Group 2: looking for the minimum requirement to get extra juice on the go. Doesn't have to be fast charge. In this case, even a 2A device is good enough to supply minimum battery to the switch. It just won't top up the switch.

Am I getting it right, or should I just toss out all my batteries now?

Luigiv

Would the pro controller cable be safe to use with these power banks?

Yes. The pro controller cable is just a standard USB-A to USB-C cable (and a fairly high quality one at that), so it's not going to do anything that any other USB cable wouldn't do.

Edit: On closer inspection, the USB-A end of the cable appears to be a 2.0 connector not a 3.0, so that will limit it's data speed capability, if you use it for that. Not sure about power delivery (USB 2.0 and 3.0 use the same pin for power regardless but I'm not sure if the cable is actually capable of carrying the full charging capacity or not). Either way, worst case scenario, charging speeds will be slow but still completely safe.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes. The pro controller cable is just a standard USB-A to USB-C cable (and a fairly high quality one at that), so it's not going to do anything that any other USB cable wouldn't do.

Other than charging at a slightly lower rate, that's correct. The cable with the Pro controller seems to cap off around 1.5A iirc, and a normal A to C cable can do slightly over 2A on the Switch (potentially more on other devices). Whether the difference between 1.5A and ~2.1A is worth buying a new cable or not depends on the person's needs I suppose.

If these could be added to the OP it'd probably save people some time.

Anker PowerCore 10000 - $23.99
The smallest and lightest reliable battery. Adds around 5 hours play time. Does not include necessary usb-c to usb-a cable to charge Switch. Does not include wall adapter to charge the PowerCore.

Lumsing 15000mAh
- $21.99
Cheapest. Has USB-C. Recommended to use usb-c to usb-c cable and not the QualComm quick charge port. Adds 6 hours 20 minutes play time. Includes Type-C cable. Does not include wall adapter for charging the Lumsing.

RAVpower 26800 - $50 - Currently unavailable at Amazon. Has USB-C. Adds 10 hours 20 minutes play time. Includes USB-C/USB-C cable. Does not include wall adapter for charging the Ravpower.

And if you don't have them lying around here are a couple wall outlet adapters to charge the batteries. I haven't tested these they're just popular/well reviewed on Amazon:
Aukey 2.4A - $8.99. Two ports.
Amazon Basics 2.4 amp - $6.99. Single port. Or you can buy a 2 pack for $11.

Thanks for this man, very helpful.

I want the big one

514p5a1moLL._SL1000_.jpg

So I bought this Anker PowerCore 20100 a year ago for my trip to Japan...

Will this work to charge the Switch? If I get a USB A to USB C adapter? Or is that dangerous?

Would the pro controller cable be safe to use with these power banks?

http://bensonapproved.com/ if you're looking for a good cheap cable. Make sure it's usb 3 and not slower 2.0

Will this work to charge the Switch? If I get a USB A to USB C adapter? Or is that dangerous?
Yep that'll work. Same thing though. Get a usb 3.0/3.1 cable though and not a slower 2.0.

Edit: omg the rare triple post. I'm done I can't get this right.

The more I reread the thread I see two types of usage from everyone and it may be getting lumped together:

Group 1: looking for full ability to fast charge Switch while playing. And in these cases, it's almost a must to find a PD spec battery and verified USB c to C cable.

Group 2: looking for the minimum requirement to get extra juice on the go. Doesn't have to be fast charge. In this case, even a 2A device is good enough to supply minimum battery to the switch. It just won't top up the switch.

Am I getting it right, or should I just toss out all my batteries now?

Yep I think this is right. I'm just looking to extend the play time some. I just got the small and cheap PowerCore 10000 to add to my play time. 5 extra hours on top of the couple the Switch itself gives is plenty for me.

I'm using these as my own setup. Quoting myself from the powerbank thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232273393&postcount=348

Quoted post in that link has detailed voltage, amps and wattage readout from USB-C PD power meter tested from a Chinese website, plug that link in Google Translate.

My requirement is "fast enough to charge the Switch while playing Zelda at max brightness, max volume on headphones, with WiFi on". Most powerbanks without USB-C PD only either stall the battery drain , match it, or trickle charge it under that condition, because it's only supplying 5V 2.4A at max to the Switch via USB-A. Qualcomm Quickcharge, or any other forms of RapidCharger formats that works for mobile phones aren't recognised by the Switch, and may even end up damaging the Switch unless circuitry protection is built into the powerbank to detect that. Once that happens, the powerbank will mostly defaults back to the lowest safe charging rate of 5V with amperage of either 0.9V (standard USB-A charge rate from a PC USB port) up to 2.4A (maximum it'll go I believe via USB-A), giving at max 12W of power. 12W may or may not be enough (depending on complexity of the games and the power it devours) to either stop the battery drain, or at most slowly trickle charge it.

Been using it for about a week now, and true to its specs, my battery charge has never dropped below 100% while playing Zelda and Fast RMX outside of home. Been marathoning Zelda looking for shrines, and my playtime clocks in the double digits (16 hours at one time, was 12 hours a day back), and I had more than half of that playtime on tabletop mode with the QB820 doing charging duty. I was interested with the Anker 26,800mAh USB-PD powerbank model, but Anker wasn't interested in entertaining shipping to my side of the world, so I had to look for other alternatives. For wall chargers, I'm currently waiting for the Anker PowerPort 5+, should be here next Monday. The Tronsmart U5P charger pictured earlier, for some odd reason does not charge the Switch or the QB820 powerbank. Banking all hope on the Anker PowerPort 5+.

I've also tried to see if I can charge the Switch while docked with these third party charging options: the QB820 causes the green LED charge light to blink on the dock, but no charging notification, the Tronsmart U5P charger doesn't either.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any blown Switches or any bodily harm that happens should you choose to emulate my setup here. I wish someone more knowledgable than me, like Benson Leung or Nathan K can verify this setup as safe to use.

I am posting that disclaimer again, just to cover my ass. Benson and Nathan seems to be more concentrated on the Google Pixel than the Switch. The setup works for me, and I hadn't had any problems so far, but other variables may differ (I live in a 22o-240V/50-60Hz power rating outlet, unlike US or Japanese 110V ones, for example).

foltzie1

I'll have to find the links, but there have been a couple adapters and power banks that were ruled out by the Google guys as being risky and should be avoided. So I'm assuming there is potentially some risk.

Monoprice, Anker, or Amazon Basic. No need to overpay.

Not true. Go by the list verified by the two Google guys and there are reasons to get the more expensive cables. Like not all USB C cables support PD.

Those brands all comply with the USB-C spec and are fine with Benson (one of the Goole guys)

Also, the USB-C defines that cables should support PD by default. So if the cables are proper cables they should be fine.

I'll have to find the links, but there have been a couple adapters and power banks that were ruled out by the Google guys as being risky and should be avoided. So I'm assuming there is potentially some risk.

Not true. Go by the list verified by the two Google guys and there are reasons to get the more expensive cables. Like not all USB C cables support PD.

I believe those risky adapters, chargers and powerbanks flaunts the USB-PD rules by combining QC standards into the USB-C supplying USB-PD power into the same port. Also beat in mind that the Google Docs spreadsheet made by them takes into account what is safe and what is not for the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, which takes 18W with strict adherence to the USB-PD power rules else they will either brownout the Pixel phones, the chargers or both. The official AC charger for the Switch states 15V 2.6A at 39W, the 9V 2A at 18W charge rate used as reference for the Google Pixel/XL in that spreadsheet may or may not be enough to charge the Switch while undocked/portable.

this is the exact one I'm using right now. I guess I can be your guinea pig. Seems to be working ok for me, no idea in the long run. But I know that I'm already not getting QC or PD out of this.

Top Bottom