• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple Your Switch Battery Life: The Best Portable Chargers Tested! (Digital Foundry)

Souzetsu

Heads up: Anker's PowerLine 10FT USB-C to USB-A Cable is on sale. $9.99 with promo code USBC8167.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZIPYPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, 2-Pack of Anker PowerLine 6FT USB-C to USB-A Cables for $13.99 with promo code USBC8166.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTUJ4Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These have the same note that it doesn't charge the Switch at full speed, but that is referring to the USB-C PD spec AFAIK. I have used the 3FT PowerLine+ with my Switch and it charges up just fine when I'm playing Zelda connected to either my Anker wall charger or power brick. I don't expect these cables to perform differently.

shiyrley

Banned
USB standards are such a mess. Is there even a difference between USB-C and USB-A in their potential output? Isn't the difference in if it's 3.1/3.0 or older for USB-A, and the letter is essentially only to denote what type of plug it is? Or are there things in a C-to-C that can't be replicated in A-to-C? I should know this since I have several devices with USB-C but this shit is confusing.
USB A can do 5V 2.4A max, regular USB C can do 5V 3A max, USB C with USB-PD can do a lot of voltage/amps combos

The RAVPower 26800mAh battery is on sale right now. $35 down from $50. Already almost 70% claimed. Grab one while you can. Link here.

Dammit they even dropped the price another $2 to $33. I would have bought that had I not just bought the Anker PowerCore 10000 for only $8 less than the ravpower.

It's ok though my next battery needs to have a type-c port.

mugwhump

My 2.1A 20100mah phone powerbank works. I think it's close to the minimum wattage though. If I play zelda on low brightness with the bank hooked up, the switch's battery will slowly charge... but if I play on max brightness its battery will slowly drain. So it looks like 2.1A is right on the borderline.

LiK

one note...that's the regular USB version (with Micro USB input) & not the USB-C one from the video

should still be a good choice for people though

Yea, I picked it up thinking it's for Switch but no biggie. Def up using it for phones and tablets on the go.

Poppyseed

Got the Anker Powercore 10,000 that Eurogamer recommended. However, it's not charging fast enough while I play! So my battery life is decreasing (slowly) while playing Fast RMX.

What am I missing?

*edit*

Scrap that, I guess my battery dropped a percent right after plugging in, but it's now rising (VERY SLOWLY). Fast RMX at full brightness is barely charging via the Powercore 10000. 2% in a half hour.

Let's try Binding of Isaac...

Got the Anker Powercore 10,000 that Eurogamer recommended. However, it's not charging fast enough while I play! So my battery life is decreasing (slowly) while playing Fast RMX.

What am I missing?

What usb-c to a cable are you using? You might have a shitty cable. The PowerCore is 5v/2.4amp so I think that's enough to slow charge it. So it might be the cable.

ZOONAMI

I feel like if you just do airplane mode and min brightness this is unnecessary all together unless you're going on a 16 hour flight or something.

Most planes these days have chargers too so I dunno

Poppyseed

That's what that one does. It adds 5 hours of play time before it depletes.

Actually what usb-c to a cable are you using? You might have a shitty cable. The PowerCore is 5v/2.4amp so I think that's enough to slow charge it. So it might be the cable.

See above..

(Also it's a Cable Matters cable - works fine).

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have the RavPower brick featured in this video, it's really fantastic. Eager to use it on a cross-country flight next month.

URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI"]RAVpower 26800[/URL] - $50 - Currently unavailable at Amazon. Has USB-C. Adds 10 hours 20 minutes play time. Includes USB-C/USB-C cable. Does not include wall adapter for charging the Ravpower.

So is this considered a good/great option (when available to purchase)??

Yeah as long as you don't mind the size. It's got a usb c port though and it'll give over 10 extra hours play time.

I think if you want the best available (or at least most popular) you'd get either the PowerCore + 20100 or this one.

Yeah as long as you don't mind the size. It's got a usb c port though and it'll give over 10 extra hours play time.

I think if you want the best available (or at least most popular) you'd get either the PowerCore + 20100 or this one.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Would a wall charger with USB-C port be a better option than a normal usb wall charger that came with my iPhone?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised about the Anker Powercore 10000mAh... early reports (and speculation) were indicating it might not be enough to charge the switch while playing... turns out it's a very fine solution. I actually bought one when Pokemon GO was hitting big and I really needed some on-the-go power for my phone, and it's mostly been sitting unused for a few months... i'm all set!

Poppyseed

I'm pleasantly surprised about the Anker Powercore 10000mAh... early reports (and speculation) were indicating it might not be enough to charge the switch while playing... turns out it's a very fine solution. I actually bought one when Pokemon GO was hitting big and I really needed some on-the-go power for my phone, and it's mostly been sitting unused for a few months... i'm all set!

Yep, it's aces. Quite frankly I'd recommend it over ANY others, not just for the simple fact that it weighs only 180 grams. In fact, you could buy TWO of them and have VERY close to the 26,8000 Ravpower in terms of extended Switch life (the Powercore is more efficient than the Ravpower), AND they'd both combined weigh less than the Ravpower!

I cannot imagine I'd ever need anymore than the Switch + 10,000 Powercore in terms of battery.

Good to hear. Makes me glad it's the one I got. Plus it's so much smaller than these other ones. 5 extra hours should be plenty for me.

Poppyseed

Good to hear. Makes me glad it's the one I got. Plus it's so much smaller than these other ones. 5 extra hours should be plenty for me.

5-6 hours of Zelda PLUS the Switch's built-in battery. And don't forget if you're NOT playing Zelda, and are playing something that doesn't hammer the battery as much, you'll likely get even more time.

Winning!

Jubbe

Anecdotally, using a Xiaomi Mi Power Bank 2 10,000mAh power bank I was able to play Zelda for a whole 8 hour flight.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got that 30.000mAh one from anker with usb c and lightning 2.5a quickcharge 3.0

33 euro's flash sale on amazon.de

So I'm thinking of purchasing a Switch next month and I'll definitely need a portable battery to increase my on-the-go play time. After watching the video I've decided to go with the anker 10000mAh battery mainly because I love it's form factor (small and light so it can be easily carried around). However I'm a bit confused on what cable to get. Like do I need a usb C to usb A cable or a usb C to usb C cable? I want the battery to increase my play time. Can someone recommend me on what cable I should get? Also this may seem like a silly question but when is the best time to plug in the battery? Like do I need to connect it when my Switch is at 100% or can I do it when the Switch it at 10-20%?

So I'm thinking of purchasing a Switch next month and I'll definitely need a portable battery to increase my on-the-go play time. After watching the video I've decided to go with the anker 10000mAh battery mainly because I love it's form factor (small and light so it can be easily carried around). However I'm a bit confused on what cable to get. Like do I need a usb C to usb A cable or a usb C to usb C cable? I want the battery to increase my play time. Can someone recommend me on what cable I should get? Also this may seem like a silly question but when is the best time to plug in the battery? Like do I need to connect it when my Switch is at 100% or can I do it when the Switch it at 10-20%?
Check out bensonapproved.com for a usb-c to usb-a cable.

The one I bought was this one.

The reason you want usb-c/usb-a in your case is because the Anker PowerCore 10000 has a usb-a port and the switch of course is usb-c. If you were to buy a different battery with a usb-c port that's when you'd want to buy a usb-c/usb-c cable. USB-C is faster than USB-A and if I remember right puts out up to 3 amps whereas usb-a can only go up to 2.4 amps.

As for when to use it I'm not sure it matters but I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about answer for sure.

Okay, I seriously wanna give up on this, but knowing myself, I can't let it go. USB-C charging is a confusing mess of options and unratified standards, it feels like you're taking chances whenever you're buying a charger and HOPE that it works with the Switch.

CZvN5Oil.jpg

Apple USB-C-to-USB-C cable (model A1739), Xiaomi ZMI QB820 20,000 mAh powerbank with USB-PD, Anker PowerPort+5 wall charger with USB-PD (model number A2053), Tronsmart U5P wall charger with USB-PD.

Let's get the cable out of the way. The USB-C cable? Check! Approved by Benson and Nathan.

Now the rest of the components are a complete "test your luck" kinda deal. Here's what I needed and what I found out.

What I need:

1. A wall charger that fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks or USB-A wall chargers made for cellphones)

2. A wall charger that fast-charges the QB820 powerbank via USB-C PD. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks or USB-A wall chargers made for cellphones)

3. A powerbank that fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD, fast enough to counter battery drain while playing Zelda with maximum screen brightness, maximum volume on headphones and WiFi on. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks with USB-A)

What I got:

For #1, it was between the Tronsmart and the Anker. Looking at both of them, the both have the same charging outputs (5V3A, 9V3A, 15V2A) with the Anker having the additional 20V1.5A. The Switch fails to charge on the Tronsmart while works on the Anker. Either the Anker has the additional circuitry that the Switch detects and allows charging while the Tronsmart didn't, or the Anker's 20V1.5A charging output is the only charging power output recognised by the Switch, the other three didn't (5V3A, 9V3A, 15V2A). Am surprised that the 15V2A didn't work on the Tronsmart.

For Point #2, again it's between the Tronsmart and the Anker. This is what's confusing me. The Anker straightaway works. The Tronsmart doesn't initially, but when I swapped the Anker for the Tronsmart right away, it then works charging the QB820. WTF!!? I tested again, by unplugging the Tronsmart wall charger and replugging it into the QB820. Doesn't work again. Plugged the Anker, works straightaway, and swapping it with the Tronsmart, the same as earlier on.

Point #3, the QB820 powerbank. It fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD fast enough to top up the Switch's battery while playing Zelda at max screen brightness and max volume on headphones with WiFi on. Also works in this case, the Anker 26,800mAH with USB-PD powerbank model, although I'm basing that on anecdotal reports on Reddit and forums I read.

TL;DR version: QB820 powerbank fast-charges the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the Switch. Tronsmart U5P doesn't charge the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the QB820 powerbank. Tronsmart U5P Fast-charges the QB820 powerbank (with a workaround).

Watched the video and decided to grab the Anker PowerCore 10000. Now I know in the video they said I can use the Pro Charging Cable for this but I wanted GAF's expertise/backup.

I have the Switch Pro Controller, is it safe to charge my Switch using that cable coupled with the Anker PowerCore 10000?

Or should I get a cable along the lines of this USB-C to A

Ok Gaf the video has probably convinced me to look at the Lumsing for my phone but also for the chance I do buy a switch. Is this a good enough product to buy or should I buy something else.

Nice thanks. Maybe I'll get that Anker if I need something like it down the line.

Watched the video and decided to grab the Anker PowerCore 10000. Now I know in the video they said I can use the Pro Charging Cable for this but I wanted GAF's expertise/backup.

I have the Switch Pro Controller, is it safe to charge my Switch using that cable coupled with the Anker PowerCore 10000?
You can use that cable that came with the Switch Pro Controller as far as I know, but it is slower than many other better cables you could buy. Go to www.bensonapproved.com and pick a cable from there. I got the NeckTech USB 3.1. Personally I would just avoid any usb 2.0 cables because why buy one of those when you can buy a usb 3.0/3.1 cable?

Edit: I have no idea of the actual cables qualities themselves though so if anyone knows a good one that bends/folds nicely without being all plasticy and stiff let me know.

Nice thanks. Maybe I'll get that Anker if I need something like it down the line.

You can use that cable that came with the Switch Pro Controller as far as I know, but it is slower than many other better cables you could buy. Go to www.bensonapproved.com and pick a cable from there. I got the NeckTech USB 3.1. Personally I would just avoid any usb 2.0 cables because why buy one of those when you can buy a usb 3.0/3.1 cable?

Edit: I have no idea of the actual cables qualities themselves though so if anyone knows a good one that bends/folds nicely without being all plasticy and stiff let me know.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and ordered the NeckTech USB 3.1 as well, reviews seem really stellar and it supports up to 3 amps, while the Switch only needs up to 2.1 amps.

chekhonte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47zvIJ8A4P0

So for those who cant watch

little size, middle price battery gets 5 hours with max bright /wifi on / medium sounds , 5.50 min with half bright

middle size, cheap price battery gets 6-7 hours

big battery gets 10-12 hours

these are without using switch own battery so add 2 hours and 20 min + big battery you can get something like 15 hours straight . Amazing , though they look like xbox 360 power brick

The opening sound effects in the video just scared the living crap out of my cat.

TI82

Banned
Just got this, ordered on Monday and arrived to my (very distant) location today. Seems nice has two USB and a USB c will give a review if I remember. If I don't post anymore it means it blew up 👻

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222351504389

This thing rules. It charges my phone so fast.

But it will not charge the switch consistently. It will charge for a second and then... Just stops. Then a few seconds later charges again. It's just annoying.

Is this the usual issue with these chargers, ones that don't work with the switch? Even turning it off and charging it starts the device up...

Edit: it charges with USB A to USB C through the QC and 3.1 ports just... Not through the native USB c...? What the heck lol

Moltenix

Got my eye on one of these two powerbanks, any thoughts?

(1) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B012S6IHQC/

(2) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01G4RPVCO/

Yes, i'm aware that these aren't the usb-c variation but from what i've read, they should be sufficient for charging slowly while sleeping or at the least, extending the life of the Switch while playing (even if it may not necessarily charge it)?

(1) seems like the better deal, more capacity and slightly cheaper right now. Both choices have the option of getting this wall charger for free, would this be safe for using on the Switch as well?

(A) https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018S3EVH8/

Alternatively, option (1) also gives the choice of this wall charger for free. Would this be better than option (A)?

(B) https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00OT797VI/

baconcow

TL;DR version: QB820 powerbank fast-charges the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the Switch. Tronsmart U5P doesn't charge the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the QB820 powerbank. Tronsmart U5P Fast-charges the QB820 powerbank (with a workaround).

Thanks for all that information. Did you look into the RAVPower 20100 or 28600 mAh with USB-C and Quick Charge 3.0? Digital Foundry used the 28600 version in their testing and said they were able to charge the Switch while playing Zelda. I was wondering what the advantage of the Xiaomi one is, considering it is twice the price here in CAD. I notice you mention PD (power delivery) a lot, but apart from what it stands for, I don't know what it is. Is PD a requirement for good charging or is Quick Charge 3.0 not good enough? Both the USB-C Anker and RAVPower powerbanks specify that they can charge the Switch while playing. Would these not be adequate? I find the overabundance of choices to be the worst thing here, as they all seem similar.

FX-GMC

Thanks for all that information. Did you look into the RAVPower 20100 or 28600 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0? Digital Foundry used the 28600 version in their testing and said they were able to charge the Switch while playing Zelda. I was wondering what the advantage of the Xiaomi one is, considering it is twice the price here in CAD. I notice you mention PD (power delivery) a lot, but apart from what it stands for, I don't know what it is. Is PD a requirement for good charging or is Quick Charge 3.0 not good enough? Both the USB C Anker and RAVPower powerbanks specify that they can charge the Switch while playing. Would these not be adequate?

From my experience testing charging devices and the Switch, if you want to charge at a decent rate while playing games you need a USB-C source (USB-PD required?) that provides 15v 2a. Anything USB-A will give 5v 1.5a which may or may not be enough to charge and play depending on the game and how much power it uses.

I've tested two Ravpower 26800 USB-C banks that don't have USB-PD and both delivered 5v 1.5a over the USB-A or USB-C ports. I believe one was a QC 2.0 and one was a QC 3.0.

baconcow

From my experience testing charging devices and the Switch, if you want to charge at a decent rate while playing games you need a USB-C source (USB-PD required?) that provides 15v 2a. Anything USB-A will give 5v 1.5a which may or may not be enough to charge and play depending on the game and how much power it uses.

I've tested two Ravpower 26800 USB-C banks that don't have USB-PD and both delivered 5v 1.5a over the USB-A or USB-C ports. I believe one was a QC 2.0 and one was a QC 3.0.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I have seen any USB-C that do 15V.2A (let alone anything with 15V). I was also looking at the RAVPower USB-C banks (20100 & 28600) and they seem to have an USB-C output of 5V/3A max. I like the design of the Anker PowerCore+ 20100, but it also only does 5V/3A and has a higher price than the RAVPower 20100 ($82 CAD versus $56 CAD; our Canadian prices are bad) but the built (aluminium) and design look far nicer. I have read people have charged their Switch while playing with them, but have not heard a lot of other feedback like number of recharges. I also have no idea how much of a difference USB-PD would make with the Switch.

Top Bottom