• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — allies in coal country are livid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary: "I have a solution, but it'll take hard work."
Voters: "Fuck off."
Trump: "MAGIC PIXIE DUST JOBS!"
Voters: "Fuck yea-wait, now I can't afford food."

Put it on a commercial for the 2018 elections. Cold hard reality is roaring back with vengeance and its only gonna get colder and harder so the sooner people get it the sooner it can be fixed.

Sure the allies are furious, but what about the voters? I'm sure they'll keep voting repub as long as they keep trumpeting the whole 'brown people = bad' bullshit.. Fuckit, let them suffer.

jelly

So, how does FOX News spin this when they tune in after realising it's all gone?

Is there any chance of, I made a huge mistake, vote differently next time?

Unison

They dicked over not only themselves, but millions of others. Shaudenfreude is excusable here. Recommended, even. Society shouldn't tolerate toxic stupidity.

I think we need to keep in mind that these cuts will still negatively affect people who didn't vote for Trump in those areas, though. Certainly gloating as many in this thread are doesn't do anything to help our cause politically... Turning the rust belt into the new South, politically, probably only creates further ideological entrenchment.

I say this as someone who grew up in Carbon County, PA, one of the areas affected by the ARC, so maybe I am more sympathetic than many (even though I did a massive purge of Facebook "friends" from High School during this last election cycle, so I understand the impulse to write off small-minded, uneducated, or blatantly racist people).

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
C78RK9P.gif

Where is this gif from? It's absolute perfection.

Nipo

Look at some point you gotta take responsibility for your own actions. They were warned and they did it anyway. I'm not gonna cry over some idiot who presses the do not press button and gets screwed.

Must be nice to be able to judge people so surely from a place of privilege. Have you spent any time in Appalachia? Talked with these people you are so quick to condemn? Maybe that should be the minimum level of effort instead of just reading think pieces in the atlantic before gleefully condemning millions

Slayven

Must be nice to be able to judge people so surely from a place of privilege. Have you spent any time in Appalachia? Talked with these people you are so quick to condemn? Maybe that should be the minimum level of effort instead of just reading think pieces in the atlantic before gleefully condemning millions

We seen the rallies, they were shouting "Build the wall" the loudest

Maybe you should be there right now easing their suffering instead of trying to assert your moral superiority on a message board

Nipo

Maybe you should be there right now easing their suffering instead of trying to assert your moral superiority on a message board

Thanks i spent two years there after college with Americorps. I think the country and the left would be better if more people did the same.

Got

Banned

nah, they're dumb ass cunts and they deserve what's coming their way.

As far as people who didn't vote for the shit-storm those racist cunts in Appalachia voted in and for, they'll get my sympathy and support.

Besides, you're doing a good enough job coddling those assholes so keep it up for the rest of us who don't give two fucks for their self-inflicted plight.

I have to admit, you have a point. This is an area which blamed Democrats for the fall of the coal industry. The Dems never gave them a reason to believe or hope things would get better for them and Trump comes along telling them the coal business will be booming again. They voted for Trump because they had hope that he would deliver on his promise. False hope, but it was still hope any way.

Veezy

que?

I'd say I'm not gleefully condemning millions. I live in Tennessee, so I have a bit of experience with the reality and struggles of these people.

That being said, this is the group that votes for reduced funding, for "right to work" laws, for reduction of rights for women and LGBT+ groups, and consistently supports policies that directly lead to more struggle for them.

They had this coming. This is their reality now. They were warned, showed the info, rejected it for god or country or freedom or founding fathers or glory of the south or whatever, and now they elected somebody who's going to make water and air worse for all of us, has a literal Nazi as a head strategist, and is directly making life more dangerous for friends of mine in the military. I can empathize with their pain, but they will get no sympathy from me.

Got

Banned
Thanks i spent two years there after college with Americorps. I think the country and the left would be better if more people did the same.

Cool, join back up and go help them, oh wait Trumps budget wants to destroy the Americorps program those dumbasses you helped, utilized before. whoopsie daisy.

avaya

They dicked over not only themselves, but millions of others. Shaudenfreude is excusable here. Recommended, even. Society shouldn't tolerate toxic stupidity.

Exactly, this is a silver lining for me. No empathy whatsoever for these people at all.

Yes, I have.

They blame Democrats for everything that's wrong and credit Republicans for everything going well.

Here's a recent example:

SKZwA7j.jpg

Source.

Trying to persuade other people isn't fruitful, we're too polarized for that now.

If only the president wasn't trying to destroy that program.

Your assertion that you're better or somehow more clued in than people who aren't crying for these people kind of hobbles your point

You're right about privilege-I have the privilege of not having racism blind me to reality. I have the privilege of melanin and and a non traditional name to show me how much of a perceived threat I am.

These are grown men and women who are responsible for their own actions. Voting is a right to be exercised responsibly.

hypernima

Banned

I'm sure when coal was booming, and things were good in Appalachia, they had the utmost empathy for other places in the U.S.A that had social ills.

Same about how they cared about the drug epidemic before it hit their doors.
Their votes now condemn millions, but also themselves too.

I didn't vote just to make my life better, but others. They voted just for them. And it's looking to backfire on them. They should have been more conscious with their vote, and they were not.

No, they made their (death) beds. Now it's the time to lie in them.

In the age of computers in pockets, they could have easily educated themselves with better people to vote for. They didn't.

No society need to tolerate such self destructive, toxic, dangerous stupidity.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This about the hardest I've ever laughed about someone's misery.

Fat4all

Banned
I've lived in WV for practically my whole life. Between the dying coal industry and the drug problem, it's been getting worse all the time. But no matter what anyone says, they keep thinking coal jobs would come back to be like they used to be.

It's pretty depressing.

I really love WV, but it's chocking the life out of itself.

It makes me said to see so many people who consider themselves liberals take joy in the suffering of others.

https://youtu.be/8CrOL-ydFMI

Why? Why the fuck is it the liberals job to worry about these fucking people? No matter how much liberals try to help these people, they always fuck it up.

Seriously, fuck that sentiment. It's a total fucking copout. Hur hur, "thought you were the tolerant left" bullshit argument racist/bigots spew online.

Sorry for not giving a shit about people that won't give a shit about how their voting affects my family or friends. Actually no, I'm not sorry.

These people DESERVE everything coming to them.

Breads

Banned

I guess the only one privaleged enough to make assumptions about people they don't know dick about is you, right?

Please, since you're so superior to everyone here on a gaming forum, explain to us why these idiots deserve more sympathy from me than the black men getting murdered by police and the Muslims worried that if they ever leave the country they might not be allowed back in.

Edit: Banned. Well, I'm sure he'll be on Reddit bitching about GAF. I just hope he remembered to have a different username there, unlike the last dude.

Ryzaki009

lmao

Maybe they could've done the same? Alas they were too eager too and that boomerang came around and hit them in the face. They played themselves.

Oh just realized bannhamer. Welp point still stands.

m0dus

Banned
They elected someone who's entire business history has been shafting employees and workers, thinking he would suddenly care about them. Surprise!

I'm sympathetic to them, because they are in a genuinely hard place and were desperate. But they also got conned by an obvious con.

He isn't even a particularly good or devious liar either. That's the really sad part of it. They were swindled, and it wasn't a particularly complicated or clever con.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Maybe point your ire at the GOP and media machine that gleefully encouraged these already depleted communities to seal their fatees. Instead of ridiculously insisting that judgment requires some sort of literal reenactment of an entire life.

You think he did NOT consider that poverty and ignorance played a part?

And why do you assume he's speaking from a place of privilege? What's that poster's income and background?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So, how does FOX News spin this when they tune in after realising it's all gone?

Is there any chance of, I made a huge mistake, vote differently next time?
If obama didn't make you needy in the first place you would be fine

shem935

Banned
This mythical sympathy that trump voters somehow deserve for fucking everyone over is puzzling. Especially to those who claim personal responsibility to be a cornerstone.

And don't hit me with that bullshit "You don't even know them". I live in kansas for 21 years, I have a pretty fucking good idea of the people who would vote for trump.

jwhit28

This mythical sympathy that trump voters somehow deserve for fucking everyone over is puzzling. Especially to those who claim personal responsibility to be a cornerstone.

And don't hit me with that bullshit "You don't even know them". I live in kansas for 21 years, I have a pretty fucking good idea of the people who would vote for trump.

Yeah, I think we are about to go through the Kansas experiment on a national scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom