• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — allies in coal country are livid

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a person who lives in Appalachia I am fine with wanting them to suffer but Its should be understood that you can care for someone while wanting to see them suffer for their mistakes. Once we get back in power than I am done with wanting to see them suffer and will want them to be helped again but until than let them suffer away as I'm not directly harming them it's a self inflected wound they brought upon themselves.

DrMungo

I've talked to enough of these Trump supporters. If he told them to drink a tall glass of coal waste just to stick it to "them libtards" we wouldn't have enough glasses to pass around. These cuts were as obvious as day but they were too busy chanting "build the wall" to actually pick up an article and read it.

Good. Maybe when they start to suffer they'll finally vote like they have some common sense.

For that to happen it will take them to realize they were wrong, that's a very longshot if you ask me, it's more likely they will shift their blame to something or someone else that doesn't involve owning up to their mistakes.

Sianos

10gxkt5.jpg

Yes they voted for an obvious charlatan.

Yes they believed promises that a child wouldn't.

No they're not clever.

Yes racism and jingoism played a role.

The real question of course is why didn't Hillary lie to them more enthusiastically?

The worry was that people would see through the lies if they were promised something that upon further examination seemed implausible.

I think the results demonstrate that this worry was not a valid concern.

I think if we do not intervene, they'll go on to disprove their own bootstraps theory, or at least suffer a hit to their self-esteems if they consistently follow their own logic.

So I was watching a news report about the whole meals on wheels program being cut and they showed this old lady who is handicapped and depends on the program, she voted for Trump and still supports him even after this. How are we supposed to feel sympathy for these people? They are supporting a guy who can end up killing them, when will they stop supporting him? How can all these people be conned by this fucker?

Almighty

Fuck these people and good riddance.

The Republicans various proposals are already setting the stage to fuck me and those I know one way or the other, so I just hope those dumb fucks who voted for this shit pay for their stupidity hard.

norm9

So I was watching a news report about the whole meals on wheels program being cut and they showed this old lady who is handicapped and depends on the program, she voted for Trump and still supports him even after this. How are we supposed to feel sympathy for these people? They are supporting a guy who can end up killing them, when will they stop supporting him? How can all these people be conned by this fucker?

It's that pride.

big_1409271171_1382470099_image.jpg

alternade

Fuck em. They chose this beyond all the warnings we gave them. They wanted a wall and to stick it to Obama/Hillary. At this point I really don'y value their lives over people who voted against this asshole and will still suffer. I've said since day one, were all going down, but I hope its them first.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Those who are defending these people need to understand that we all have to suffer because they voted for this moron. That is why people are happy about this. It's comforting to know that those responsible for his victory will also have to suffer along with everyone else.

Also that conservative media will not be as effective with a Republican in office. It's hard to blame the other guys for your policies when your party is the one with a President in office. It was incredibly infuriating watching these people blame Obama for the actions of a Republican congress.

These are the people who spend all of their remaining cash trying to knock over the milk bottles that are welded together at the carnival.

You got fucking played by the most obvious carnie conman fuck in American history.

No sympathy.

Mr_Moogle

The scary thing is the only Trump supporters I sympathise with are the rich ones. At least some rich dude voting Republican actually has some shred of logic to it. It still disgusts me but at least I can understand it. When I hear about poor people voting Republican it always just boggles my mind.

Cool, I live in a distressed county according to the map.

Make no mistake about it though, these yokels would've voted for Trump no matter what.

SURGEdude

I'm sympathetic to the people stuck there who didn't vote for this creep.

But the ones who did? Take some personal responsibility guys.

ezrarh

Getting rid of healthcare and government subsidies to the region means the only thing left will be heroin. The coal jobs aren't gonna come back.

Mr. X

Some kind hearted soul who doesn't vote Trump will bail her out.

Took away their healthcare and their funding. They earned it.

What was her justification? That's just crazy

etrain911

If they have to suffer for their votes, so be it. Sometimes you have to let the kid touch the hot stove so they learn not to touch it again.

What was her justification? That's just crazy

She didn't say, the reporter was saying that when she was wrapping up the story.

I just don't understand what she stands to gain from voting for Trump? She was in a wheelchair, she is getting food delivered daily, and they showed a young lady helping around her house, what else does she need from life that she wasn't getting under Obama and then Hillary?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If they have to suffer for their votes, so be it. Sometimes you have to let the kid touch the hot stove so they learn not to touch it again.

Thing is, blue collar workers have been burning their hands on the GOP stove every other eight years since the Southern Strategy realized racism is much more potent than math and longer lasting than memory.

McLovin

First it's the poor, old, and/or sick people. Now the clean coal people. It's almost like he's going out of his way to fuck over his supporters. Only ones he's looking out for are the rich lol.

Apathy

First it's the poor, old, and/or sick people. Now the clean coal people. It's almost like he's going out of his way to fuck over his supporters. Only ones he's looking out for are the rich lol.

We just call people like that Republicans

She didn't say, the reporter was saying that when she was wrapping up the story.

I just don't understand what she stands to gain from voting for Trump? She was in a wheelchair, she is getting food delivered daily, and they showed a young lady helping around her house, what else does she need from life that she wasn't getting under Obama and then Hillary?

To feel superior to those gays and hippies and darkies and Mexicans.

I don't get why there are still people here who are saying we should be empathetic.

Trump is not a genius con man who fooled these poor, innocent, hard working, salt of the earth white working class people.

They voted for him because they are racists. Simple as that.

How else do you explain how poorly Republicans continue to do among minorities who are in the same economic situation as these people?

Bit-Bit

I'm not a liberal so fuck those folks who voted for Trump not thinking that he was serious about getting rid of ACA and that he could possibly bring back the coal industry from death.

Reap what you sow.

Bit-Bit

I don't get why there are still people here who are saying we should be empathetic.

Trump is not a genius con man who fooled these poor, innocent, hard working, salt of the earth white working class people.

They voted for him because they are racists. Simple as that.

How else do you explain how poorly Republicans continue to do among minorities who are in the same economic situation as these people?
Can we stop with the narrative that Trump won because of the racists? If so then where were the racists the last two times when an actual black guy was running for president!?

Trump won because people fixated on the Clintons as THE crooked establishment. Spend any time in the South and you'll know how much people hated Clinton.

Got

Banned
Can we stop with the narrative that Trump won because of the racists? If so then where were the racists the last two times when an actual black guy was running for president!?

Trump won because people fixated on the Clintons as THE crooked establishment. Spend any time in the South and you'll know how much people hated Clinton.

Nah, they were either racist or okay with racism and sexism and misogyny and bigotry as being part of their platform in pursuit of economic stability.

Incarmine

Banned
We should not be wishing suffering on anybody.

I think they want to suffer though. They probably have all this insecurity and fear they want to mask with hatred, and if everything's going well they have nothing to hate, so out of pride they keep voting against their own interests.

ErichWK

I think the older people get the less they like to think they are wrong .

Fuchsdh

Yeah, at this point I can agree with this sentiment. Too much shit is at stake during these elections. Hillary should have just lied her ass off to these people in retrospect. Tell them what they want to hear. Shit worked wonders for Trump.

Yeah it's kind of sad, but we have reached a point where some people are immune to the truth. It's pretty horrifying, really.

Some people were always just gonna' vote for the white guy, but given the number of people who originally voted Obama, there's clearly a big enough group that's out for change moreso than the racial pecking order. I guess you can try straight up lying to them, but I'm not sure how effective a strategy that is either.

I guess what makes me despair most about this is if young people just went to the goddamn polls we wouldn't have to spend all this time hemming and hewing about people who are complete fools.

I think the older people get the less they like to think they are wrong .

I think it's mostly an issue of isolation. This lady is probably not having intellectual debates and talking with a diverse set of viewpoints. She's not out there seeing the world. That makes it much easier for the TV to cater to her biases and warp her reality.

Bleepey

Can these uneducated fucks survive on my laughter?

Liberals come across cold and callous cos idiots because they are laughing at idiots who voted for a politician kept their promises elections have consequences. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Those liberals who wanted to pay for your healthcare to ensure you live shouldn't shed tears or show pity

The scary thing is the only Trump supporters I sympathise with are the rich ones. At least some rich dude voting Republican actually has some shred of logic to it. It still disgusts me but at least I can understand it. When I hear about poor people voting Republican it always just boggles my mind.

Actually it's logical too. Most poor GOP voters can barely read and write. Add to the fact that racism is passed on from generation to generation and when Obama became president, it basically ignited a fire in their hearts to defeat him no matter the cost. There is also the fact that fake news became so common on social media and even on TV that it was hard for them to realize what's going on. It's pretty complicated, and sadly no matter what Trump does and says they have their own media sources now that tells please bow down while we fuck you raw. They will happily take it because of their ideals. It was never about important policy or electing a strong competent leader. It was about electing someone who shares a few things common with them. The whole rust belt is out of touch with the rest of America. They feel left behind in everything and voting for someone who seems familiar in a way made sense to them. Now, with the new budget cuts some people will realize what they have done, but some also have egos and will pretend that everything is ok. They would rather lose benefits than to have a woman or a black man be their president.

I grew up in West Virginia. I've lived more of my life in Maryland, but if someone asks me where I'm from, I say West Virginia. I'd always imagined we'd retire there. The last three elections have really soured me on that idea. It's true I was raised by hippies, but I never noticed much racism as a kid. I'd never even seen a Rebel flag until college, and we made fun of the redneck who hung it in his dorm room. But it's overt now, and it made me sad and/or angry to see so many of my old friends turning to Trump, for racist, sexist and economic reasons. And now WV is going to suffer even more.

See also:

timetokill said:

Ac30

I feel the exact opposite way. Rich, educated individuals voted in an immoral, incompetent manchild, just so their taxes would be lowered. They knew he was an asshole and they still voted for him. The poor and destitute were tricked and/or wanted to believe he'd bring their jobs back - they, at least, had somewhat understable reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom