• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Foundation paid noted criminal fraudster James O'Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Personally I'd be pretty pissed that I paid 10 grand for some video of inciting violence at rallies. I mean that's the best fake video he could come up with? Trump got fucking robbed.

Armaros

I'm more concerned with the content of said videos than I am with the fact that the Trump Foundation paid O'Keefe to go undercover

You are concerned with a felon's and a serial liar's video content over possibly illegal donations that might have paid for said videos?

So do you take stock in the ACORN, NPR or Planned parenthood videos as well?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm more concerned with the content of said videos than I am with the fact that the Trump Foundation paid O'Keefe to go undercover

You do realize O'Keefe is famous for faking videos to make people who disagree with him politically look bad right? Sherrod, ACORN, Planned Parenthood, he's faked numerous videos over the last eight years. There's 0 reason to take anything he says at face value, he's lied too many times for anyone to trust him without outside corroboration.

You do realize O'Keefe is famous for faking videos to make people who disagree with him politically look bad right? Sherrod, ACORN, Planned Parenthood, he's faked numerous videos over the last eight years. There's 0 reason to take anything he says at face value, he's lied too many times for anyone to trust him without outside corroboration.

You don't have to take his word at face value though, just the own words of the two Dem strategists who have since stepped down. I don't exactly see how misleading editing can explain away some of that stuff

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/18/undercover-video-shows-democrats-saying-they-hire-/

BPoole

Concerned as in concerned that people are taking the video at face value?
There is crystal clear video evidence of these people admitting to doing these acts. Paid video or not, there must have been some truth behind what they said since both Foval and Creamer are no longer employed.

If these were baseless accusations they wouldn't have resigned or been terminated immediately like they were.

Did you watch the videos? These guys go on and on about unethical things they have done that wouldn't make sense under any other context.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You don't have to take his word at face value though, just the words of the Dem strategists who have since stepped down.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/18/undercover-video-shows-democrats-saying-they-hire-/

There is crystal clear video evidence of these people admitting to doing these acts. Paid video or not, there must have been some truth behind what they said since both Foval and Creamer are no longer employed.

If these were baseless accusations they wouldn't have resigned or been terminated immediately like they were.

Tell that to Shirley Sherrod, who had to step down despite being 100% innocent of what she was accused of doing. Or ACORN, who had to shut down despite not doing what O'Keefe edited his video to make it look like they did. Hell, if Planned Parenthood hadn't been as strong politically as they were they'd have been done too despite being innocent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did you watch the videos? These guys go on and on about unethical things they have done that wouldn't make sense under any other context.

All this tells me is you aren't familiar with O'Keefe's body of work in the slightest. He's famous for his lies and deceptive editing. Unless someone else can prove this is real, there's no reason to believe it at all given his history. There's a reason no one else is touching this.

BPoole

Tell that to Shirley Sherrod, who had to step down despite being 100% innocent of what she was accused of doing. Or ACORN, who had to shut down despite not doing what O'Keefe edited his video to make it look like they did. Hell, if Planned Parenthood hadn't been as strong politically as they were they'd have been done too despite being innocent.

What do those events have to do with this one? Care to explain why these guys were explicitly talking about being responsible committing voting fraud and paying people to start violence at political rallies if they weren't in fact doing so?

Armaros

You haven't answered my question

Do you believe the ACORN, NPR and Planned Parenthood videos? The same person made them with the exact same type of footage and the same style of editing.

Steel

Banned

In the anti-planned parenthood footage that was later debunked he asked them about a hypothetical and edited out the question and also edited out the part where they mentioned that they were talking about postage fees.

The same trick would work here. If, before the video started, Keefe asked the guy how he'd stir up shit at Trump rallies if given the money and chance, that would make the video entirely different.

Chumly

What do those events have to do with this one? Care to explain why these guys were explicitly talking about being responsible committing voting fraud and paying people to start violence at political rallies if they weren't in fact doing so?
Same thing happened with all of the other videos okeffe made. Deceptive editing to cause a controversy. There is absolutely no reason to even remotely consider these videos as even a single shred of proof. I'll wait for real evidence.

I'll ask you a question. Why would anyone who isn't looking for conspiracy theories think that these videos actually show what they claim to show? Considering the history of how these videos are made.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Try reading this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...peratives-lose-jobs-after-james-okeefe-sting/

O'Keefe is famous for selectively editing videos to make it look like people say things they actually aren't. You keep ignoring this fact.

In the anti-planned parenthood footage that was later debunked he asked them about a hypothetical and edited out the question and also edited out the part where they mentioned that they were talking about postage fees.

The same trick would work here. If, before the video started, Keefe asked the guy how he'd stir up shit at Trump rallies if given the money and chance, that would make the video entirely different.

Exactly. You can't just assume someone like O'Keefe is on the up and up given his past. Let's be real, O'Keefe is no better than a conman. Trust him is like trusting the guy who stole from you five different times.

Andrew J.

The evidentiary value of James O'Keefe's videos is less than nothing. They should be taken as proof of the opposite of what they purport to demonstrate.

Nothing could convince me more that these people have done nothing wrong.

BPoole

You haven't answered my question

Do you believe the ACORN, NPR and Planned Parenthood videos? The same person made them with the exact same type of footage and the same style of editing.

I'm not familiar with them or O'Keefe prior to these videos tbh so I won't speak on their validity.

All I know is that people that aren't engaging in unethical behavior dont discuss in detail themselves engaging in unethical behavior.

gdt

I'm not familiar with them or O'Keefe prior to these videos tbh so I won't speak on their validity.

All I know is that people that aren't engaging in unethical behavior dont discuss in detail themselves engaging in unethical behavior.
Look up the history behind this guy. Same shit as the PP tape. Idiots lapped that up too.

Edit: people never finish well when they start with "all I know is"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

So you know nothing about his past of deceptively editing videos, but when confronted with numerous examples as to why he isn't to be trusted you just brush them aside? Dude, you need to do some fucking research on this guy. That or you just want to believe it and don't care about reality.

Armaros

So do yourself a favor, stop 'just asking questions' and do some research so you stop embarrassing yourself.

BPoole

The evidentiary value of James O'Keefe's videos is less than nothing. They should be taken as proof of the opposite of what they purport to demonstrate.

Nothing could convince me more that these people have done nothing wrong.

Then why did one get fired and the other resign?

You are ignoring what everyone is telling you about O'Keefe. HE FAKES VIDEOS. He baits people into hypotheticals and then edits tapes to fit his right wing nutjob agenda. He has been sued for this and arrested for this.

giphy.gif

that's what we've been trying to tell you

He heavily edits his videos to create context. I mean... that's kind of the entire reason you edit something - to give it the context you want.

You aren't responding to the core criticism people are making. The argument you're trying to make - that there's no "good" context therefore editing it doesn't make a difference - has been demonstrably wrong over and over again with his other works. You're asking people to take something at face value despite a severe credibility deficit.

Chumly

You seriously need to read up on O'keefe. You are literally his target audience. Being spoon fed bullshit and then you just want to "ask questions".

adj_noun

Sure, O'Keefe's other patent medicines all turned out to be mixtures of grain alcohol and paint thinner, but he says this one can cure my rheumatism.

Red

If Republicans were confident in the content of this video, it would be a bigger thing. O'Keefe has made false allegations in the past, and politicians are aware of this. They are aware that relying on these tapes as evidence is a risky move. Even if the allegations here are true, without undoctored footage, it is impossible to know for sure.

Amir0x

Banned
The just asking questions crowd already arrived eh. James O'Keefe is a fraud, and anyone who uses his videos as evidence of anything is a not a rational human being worth arguing with. Shame them for being embarrassments to the human race for being so profoundly dumb.

So why did the ACORN director lose his job and then get paid 100K by keefe in a defamation lawsuit later?

Yeah, I just read up on these incidents and it's obvious now that nothing in these videos should be taken at face value no matter how seemingly incriminating. Unfortunately, not only are the crazies all over it but even a lot of people who I thought were reasonable anti-Trump Republicans seem to be unquestioningly promoting the video.

Steel

Banned
The just asking questions crowd already arrived eh. James O'Keefe is a fraud, and anyone who uses his videos as evidence of anything is a not a rational human being worth arguing with. Shame them for being embarrassments to the human race for being so profoundly dumb.

No need to be so scathing. Plenty of people haven't heard of him and his reputation.

BPoole

I legitimately did not know O'Keefe's background. I don't have as much time to spend on the internet these days as I used to so I was not aware of his past.

But anyway, thanks for motivational post. I hope one day I can be a shining beacon of the human race like you are.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I just read up on these incidents and it's obvious now that nothing in these videos should be taken at face value no matter how seemingly incriminating. Unfortunately, not only are the crazies all over it but even a lot of people who I thought were reasonable anti-Trump Republicans seem to be unquestioningly promoting the video.

Part of the problem is with the rise of the internet anyone can pretend to be a journalist. Before the internet it was the editors at major stations, newspapers, and magazines who made sure stuff like this didn't spread like wildfire. Essentially making sure only legitimate stories got out there and limiting the reach of conspiracy shit and outright lies. The internet makes that impossible, which means people now need to learn media literacy. People need to learn who to trust and who not to trust. The problem is no one teaches it, partly because it'll be seen as partisan.

For all the good the internet has done, it's done a hell of a lot of damage too.

I legitimately did not know O'Keefe's background. I don't have as much time to spend on the internet these days as I used to so I was not aware of his past.

But anyway, thanks for motivational post. I hope one day I can be a shining beacon of the human race like you are.

We spent like a page explaining about him to you, but you just ignored all of it until the end of the conversation. A lot of people spread shit like this then feign ignorance when confronted with the fact the source is not to be trusted.

Enzom21

Or you know, you can get your information from sites that aren't breitbart or infowars... who are we kidding, you're always going to believe what you believe. Your post history speaks for itself.

BPoole

We spent like a page explaining about him to you, but you just ignored all of it until the end of the conversation. A lot of people spread shit like this then feign ignorance when confronted with the fact the source is not to be trusted.
I said right at the beginning that I wasn't familiar with O'Keefe. I'm by no means a politics buff and I would guess this guy isn't a household name.

I saw a lot of buzz about the video, watched it, and drew my own conclusion without being aware the sources history. After several people confronted me, I backed off and will look into it before I watch the other video. I don't know what else you expect me to do.

Or you know, you can get your information from sites that aren't breitbart or infowars... who are we kidding, you're always going to believe what you believe. Your post history speaks for itself.
Straight for the personal attacks

Foffy

Banned

Me too.

The narrative on ACORN and Planned Parenthood is still strong in the regressives ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom