• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Foundation paid noted criminal fraudster James O'Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Welp, I know who not to pay attention to

If you don't wish to pay attention to me for calling out the bullshit propaganda O'Keefe started, that's fine by me.

It's still deeply held by regressives, which was all I said. Is it the wording I used that's a problem?

Maybe you inferred "regressive" as a mocking of progressives? I was highlighting right-wing buffoonery and nonsense.

If you don't wish to pay attention to me for calling about the bullshit propaganda O'Keefe started, that's fine by me.

It's still deeply held by regressives, which was all I said. Is it the wording I used that's a problem?
I'm pretty sure he just meant the people who took o Keefe seriously

Steel

Banned
If you don't wish to pay attention to me for calling about the bullshit propaganda O'Keefe started, that's fine by me.

There's a translation problem here. Regressive is a term commonly used by far right people to describe progressives. Sometimes that term is used for far right people.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not familiar with them or O'Keefe prior to these videos tbh so I won't speak on their validity.

All I know is that people that aren't engaging in unethical behavior dont discuss in detail themselves engaging in unethical behavior.

This would be a very interesting comment if someone was a Trump supporter. Just saying.

There's a translation problem here. Regressive is a term commonly used by far right people to describe progressives. Sometimes that term is used for far right people.

Liberals use the term regressive for describing Conservatives dialing backwards,
like when Conservatives want to repeal Marriage Equality, that is what the left labels the right as regressive (going backwards)

Foffy

Banned

I was using it for the far right. Would "enemies of reason" been a better phrase? It sounds more hostile.

Regressives summarizes them perfectly. They look back and downwards, especially to facts, trends, and reality.

I'm pretty sure it's your weird wording of things

for example:

what?

I assumed he thought I was believing the shit O'Keefe created with the non-scandal scandals of ACORN and PP, so I wanted to make it clearer that I wasn't in agreement with what he put out.

It probably didn't help that I "agreed" with a user who seemed to believe such stuff as truth, either. I only agreed because there's a problem of people believing untruths, not that the claims made were ever true.

I hope I am a bit clearer, now.

Steel

Banned
Liberals use the term regressive for describing Conservatives dialing backwards,
like when Conservatives want to repeal Marriage Equality, that is what the left labels the right as regressive (going backwards)

I know it's used on the left, my point is that it's also used as a derisive term on the right. The "regressive left" is not an uncommon thing to hear from spittle mouthed tea-partiers.

I was using it for the far right. Would "enemies of reason" been a better phrase? It sounds more hostile.

Regressives summarizes them perfectly. They look back and downwards, especially to facts, trends, and reality.

No, I get it, just pointing out why the other poster didn't.

Enzom21

I said right at the beginning that I wasn't familiar with O'Keefe. I'm by no means a politics buff and I would guess this guy isn't a household name.

I saw a lot of buzz about the video, watched it, and drew my own conclusion without being aware the sources history. After several people confronted me, I backed off and will look into it before I watch the other video. I don't know what else you expect me to do.

Straight for the personal attacks

It's not a personal attack, it's a statement of fact. Didn't you PM me that you had me on ignore? How are you seeing my post? Strange.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Do the original videos have music in the background that sounds like the score to a horror movie or did the bullshit news channel I ran across this on add that?
Nothing says credibility like cheap emotional manipulation.

Amir0x

Banned
No need to be so scathing. Plenty of people haven't heard of him and his reputation.

Ignorance backed by racism, bigotry, xenophobia and misogyny is what led to Trump's rise. It is time to stop allowing people to so casually get away with not doing basic homework about their sources by googling a simple name. BPoole can utilize a computer, and he has a functioning mind. And if he uses him anyway despite doing that basic research, then it's even worse.

So there's no excuse. The stakes are too high. I can see if it was some obscure figure coming out of the mists and he had nothing to do with politics and there's no way to look up the background. But that's not the case here.

As sleezy and misrepresenting as most of O'Keefe's stuff is, the latest video is actually pretty damning, and the contractor shown making those statements had to step down.

Kaiterra

Banned
As sleezy and misrepresenting as most of O'Keefe's stuff is, the latest video is actually pretty damning, and the contractor shown making those statements had to step down.

This thread's well worn how someone getting fired proves nothing in regards to O'Keefe videos, so with that out of the way, what specifically about the video makes it more damning than the others to you?

Steel

Banned
Ignorance backed by racism, bigotry, xenophobia and misogyny is what led to Trump's rise. It is time to stop allowing people to so casually get away with not doing basic homework about their sources by googling a simple name. BPoole can utilize a computer, and he has a functioning mind. And if he uses him anyway despite doing that basic research, then it's even worse.

So there's no excuse. The stakes are too high. I can see if it was some obscure figure coming out of the mists and he had nothing to do with politics and there's no way to look up the background. But that's not the case here.

It's easy for someone to even know vaguely O'Keefe's reputation and think that the video is true because the person got fired. Of course, they'd have to be unaware of precise particulars of O'Keefe's history. Like his getting people fired in the past for his videos when they had in fact done nothing wrong.

Someone who hadn't even heard of him and saw the video first would take some convincing to even believe that people pointing at O'Keefe's aren't merely deflecting because of bias.

Like this:

O'Keefe has gotten people fired on false, misleading videos in the past and been successfully sued because of it.

Arkeband

Banned
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out Joey Salads is one of Trump's illegitimate children who is being groomed to take over Veritas.

Expect a video from O'Keefe the day after the election. It's going to be the key piece for Trump's widespread voter fraud claim and evidence for his refusal to concede.

Goliath

I feel like I should point out, to those who are unaware, that all of these videos were not only selectively edited but outright lies since none of the content was true. O'Keefe is a liar and a felon (he broke into a senator's office to illegally wiretap her phone).

Just for context.

Yea, I just copied the NBC headline. I wrote a whole essay back in college about how bullshit he was and how easily his videos were disproved (it took all of two days reporting for CNN to disprove the Sherrod one).

Is it possible that you could elaborate on exactly what was faked on the planned parenthood tapes. Wikipedia doesn't do a good job of explaining the specifics or the controversy and with this statement " Planned Parenthood of Ohio issued a public response, saying the worker's words were ""a violation of any policy, and it's very upsetting." The CEO said". I would love another source that explains the situation better.

Is it possible that you could elaborate on exactly what was faked on the planned parenthood tapes. Wikipedia doesn't do a good job of explaining the specifics or the controversy and with this statement " Planned Parenthood of Ohio issued a public response, saying the worker's words were ""a violation of any policy, and it's very upsetting." The CEO said". I would love another source that explains the situation better.

http://www.snopes.com/pp-baby-parts-sale/

chessnut

I find it annoying how the focus on this story is about how sleazy this guy is, instead of focusing on the actual story. The dnc and the clinton campaign were involved in paying people to create violence.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I find it annoying how the focus on this story is about how sleazy this guy is, instead of focusing on the actual story. The dnc and the clinton campaign were involved in paying people to create violence.

Gotta shift the focus somehow. If you point how much of a scumbag the producer of these videos are, it lessens the impact of what's contained within.

Edit: Do note I am not arguing the validity of the accusations in these videos.

Ithil

I think you have missed the point.

Yes, I wonder why the focus would be on his history of lying and falsifying "evidence" and not his newest creation

Amir0x

Banned

There's still no evidence of that, even if you take this video at face value. Which would make you not particularly brilliant, but hey. It's your head.

He's a political operative who has been exposed as a fraud. He crafts political hit pieces by any deceptive means possible. That's not an opinion. Now, it's up to you how much that means to you.

The fact the guy is an established crook that fabricates evidence doesn't seem relevant to you ?

Who's shifting what, here ?

This thread's well worn how someone getting fired proves nothing in regards to O'Keefe videos, so with that out of the way, what specifically about the video makes it more damning than the others to you?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...c-operatives-james-okeefe-20161019-story.html
The result of all that was that the "Rigging the Election" videos got a skeptical reception — at first. But the video of Foval, a Wisconsin-based politico with a long resume, had him bragging about a litany of political dirty tricks. In the first video, he boasts of "conflict engagement in the lines of Trump rallies," takes credit for the violence that canceled a Trump rally at the University of Illinois in Chicago, admits he's paid "mentally ill" people to start trouble, and says there's a "Pony Express" that keeps Democratic operatives in touch, regardless of whether they work for super PACs or the campaigns not permitted to coordinate with super PACs.

In the second video, Foval spends five minutes discussing how voters might be brought from outside Wisconsin to commit voter fraud, buying cars with Wisconsin plates to avoid looking suspicious. "We've been bussing people in to deal with you f---kin' a--holes for fifty years and we're not going to stop now," he says.

Foval might be completely full of shit, but his words pretty much exclude him from working anywhere near a legitimate campaign.

The only saving grace is that he seems to be an isolated blowhard.

Just realized the Washington Post story is the same as the Tribune story. They've reported it in an even-handed manner, and even they describe his words as "tying a noose with his tongue".

joebruin

there's ample reason to automatically throw out this edited footage (based on past history) if he can't provide people with the originals so we can see the full context in which these videos were made.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Gotta shift the focus somehow. If you point how much of a scumbag the producer of these videos are, it lessens the impact of what's contained within.

Edit: Do note I am not arguing the validity of the accusations in these videos.

It doesn't lessen the impact, it should completely obliterate the impact of the video. This is what O'Keefe does. He records people secretly and then edits the video to make it seem like they are saying things they are not. If he releases the unedited video, you would be able to see what the entire conversations are actually about. Until then, he deserves no credibility what so ever.

Armaros

It doesn't lessen the impact, it should completely obliterate the impact of the video. This is what O'Keefe does. He records people secretly and then edits the video to make it seem like they are saying things they are not. If he releases the unedited video, you would be able to see what the entire conversations are actually about. Until then, he deserves no credibility what so ever.

He has refused to release the unedited footage. Thats how they got burnt in the past.

He is claiming the unedited footage will let democrats 'paint their own picture'. Some hardcore projection, just like the candidate he supports and is funded by.

BSsBrolly

Banned
He has refused to release the unedited footage. Thats how they got burnt in the past.

He is claiming the unedited footage will let democrats 'paint their own picture'. Some hardcore projection, just like the candidate he supports and is funded by.

Of course.

That's one hell of a nervy excuse. "I'm only going to present the video in a way that I want it to be seen. No reason to release of un-edited video so you can make your own determination."

Edit: that should be enough reason for people unfamiliar with O'Keefe to completely disregard the video.

There's sooooooooomething about Trump using funds from his charity, to pay a crook known for fabricating stories with heavily edited videos, and asking that crook to do an undercover video story on his opponent, that just doesn't sit right with me.

I mean, why would a known lying, thieving, tax evading, racist, xenophobic, sexist, woman abuser do something like that?

There's something going on here folks. Somethings going on. We're gonna find out and we're gonna find out big.

Believe me. People are talking.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

How is the fact that this guy is known for editing video to make it look like people are saying things they didn't actually say not relevant? It's absolutely relevant!

The only proof of such a thing is the O'Keefe video, so no there's literally no proof of such a thing happening. It's conspiracy theory bullshit.

The video shows on camera Democratic operatives admitting it, after the video surfaced, Robert Creamer stepped down and Scott Foval was fired. If it were any other election I'd be pissed but trying to dismiss video evidence as conspiracy is a little ridiculous.

TS-08

The video shows on camera Democratic operatives admitting it, after the video surfaced, Robert Creamer stepped down and Scott Foval was fired. If it were any other election I'd be pissed but trying to dismiss video evidence as conspiracy is a little ridiculous.

But he has a history of producing videos that end up being misleadingly edited. And people got fired for those too.

Armaros

If you spent even just 5 mins researching O'keefe, you would realize its 100% bullshit.

So many posters adamant on not doing any research, not even reading the entire thread and all the responses before posting.

O'keefe's previous videos shows ACORN and other groups 'doing shady stuff', why was all of it shown to be bullshit and he even settled a defemation lawsuit to someone he defamed and got fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom