• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Healthcare bill will be revised to gain GOP support for Thursday vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the CBO basically saying that the freedom caucus was right that literally nothing would be better than this shitty bill was the final nail in the coffin

RPGCrazied

Why are the freedom caucus saying no? I think its because this bill doesn't get rid of Medicare and Medicaid fast enough. They probably want those programs gone all together.

KoopaTheCasual

Knew it wouldn't pass.

There's no chance in hell Ryan sends this to the floor tomorrow only to get publicly humiliated when this bill dies.

It's going to be pulled before the end of the day.

zethren

Banned
Why are the freedom caucus saying no? I think its because this bill doesn't get rid of Medicare and Medicaid fast enough. They probably want those programs gone all together.

They want a straight repeal. Anything that resembles Obamacare or does not completely remove it's features is a solid "no" from them.

RPGCrazied

They want a straight repeal. Anything that resembles Obamacare or does not completely remove it's features is a solid "no" from them.

Yikes. So I guess they want preexistence conditions and people 26 or under stay on parents plan gone?

These people are villains.

tuffy

Knew it wouldn't pass.

There's no chance in hell Ryan sends this to the floor tomorrow only to get publicly humiliated when this bill dies.

It's going to be pulled before the end of the day.
Pulling the bill without a vote would also be very humiliating after all the public buildup about it.

Tea party is going to Tea party. They want to know how to pay for it without increasing taxes and they want to cut anything that looks like welfare...

That makes any healthcare reform impossible and it definitely does not equate to maintaining healthcare at all. Who would of thought that the hardcore new republican representatives that have never actually created policy outside of saying no would continue the same way they have started in DC.

Entire situation is silly and sad all at the same time.

KoopaTheCasual

Pulling the bill without a vote would also be very humiliating after all the public buildup about it.
True, but they're definitely in a damned if you don't, (more) damned if you do, situation.

I see them trying to say, "oh we gotta add a few more clauses! it has nothing to do with everyone hating it. we just want it to be perfect!"

They are still salty about death panels and will vote against anything that doesn't include them.

DR2K

Banned
I just can't believe this bill isn't passing because it's not horrible enough for some old white men

xmgoZqW.gif

Surfinn

What a fun game of chicken congress and the White House are playing with people's lives.

I hope Trump and the rest crash and burn.

"If you don't vote on this bill that makes our party look like we're doing our job, you're fired."

24 million Americans, a chunk of whom voted for Trump, will be out of insurance, but..

Mission Accomplished

Letting that happen wouldn't benefit him at all. His party has full power and he's supposed to be the master negotiator.

Of course it would Trump literally has only ever been about himself. Throw the no votes under the bus publicly, claim he tried and people are playong unfair. That is a win to Trump.

Balphon

That seems to be the desired outcome for Trump- leave things as is and then gloat and blame Obama and Ryan at every piece of bad news.

While Trump is never not looking for a scapegoat, a failure here is as much his as it is Ryan's. The buck stops at his desk whether he wants it to or not.

Rked

While Trump is never not looking for a scapegoat, a failure here is as much his as it is Ryan's. The buck stops at his desk whether he wants it to or not.

clearly, you haven't met obnoxious republican supporters that will spread misinformation like wildfire and make excuse after excuse.

jay

In what sense does the buck stop anywhere? Remember, Donald Trump is currently president so we all need to rethink our assumptions about how things work.

Who needs healthcare anyway?

Laughter is the best medicine, none of which is in short supply with this administration.

I think you've confused "laughter" with "throwing the remote through the TV in a violent fit of rage every time I watch the news." But getting the dander up probably kills cancer, so we're good either way!

Balphon

In what sense does the buck stop anywhere? Remember, Donald Trump is currently president so we all need to rethink our assumptions about how things work.

His Party has complete control of government, he ran on a platform of "Only I can fix it," and as if that weren't enough he's already endorsed this bill.

At some point he has to deliver. And that reality is even more pronounced when you're talking about something like ACA which Republicans have characterized as the end of civilization for the past 7-odd years.

Assuming Trump is politically bulletproof and omnicompetent is just as bad as underestimating him.

That would be great, though, because Obamacare will get better over time.

No. It will rot on the vine.

Obamacare was always meant to be a living, breathing form of legislation that would be improved upon over time. Mistakes would be corrected. Eventualities would be worked around. However, the Republicans have other plans. Never give an inch and never try to improve. It's the primary reason Obamacare is showing some real strain right now. There is an active Republican campaign of watching it die while looking the other way.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That would be great, though, because Obamacare will get better over time.

Without federal support, it will not. It will get worse and their "Obamacare is failing" narrative becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only hope is that voters remember who it was that had a chance to avoid it happening.

No Plan B = Let Obamacare kill itself so Trump can be like, "See, you voted no, not my fault."

It is so obvious.

Obamacare isn't really going to completely collapse like they're planning. There isn't a set day where the entire thing just collapses. It likely wouldn't ever truly completely collapse, even without touching it.

It really doesn't matter if Obamacare dies or not. It's not a problem for the dems in 2020. The power to fix it, replace it, whatever was within the power of the Republican party + Trump who had full power. That's all that matters.

The idea of "leave it alone and let them dems own it" is stupid.

Maxim726X

Hahahaha, wtf?!

What do they think is going to happen? There are too many republicans on record as of this afternoon saying that they are voting against this thing. It currently (as of this moment) has zero chance at passing? Why play chicken now?!

Doesn't really have a choice.

If this does fail, he'll blame House Republicans. He already threatened them with this yesterday.

Trump will complain about the swamp etc etc again, and his supporters will continue to worship him.

Zolo

If this does fail, he'll blame House Republicans. He already threatened them with this yesterday.

Trump will complain about the swamp etc etc again, and his supporters will continue to worship him.

Yeah. To a lot of Trump supporters, Trump is a pure babe untouched by the evil of politics.

His supporters will always be vocal. He'll just lose what independent support he had and some of his republican voters won't vote and he'll lose the election and that's that. Some massive regret uprising rage isn't necessary to oust him.

Trust me, he's holding the L badly in 2020 if he doesn't start getting major policy through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom