• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs the republican pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

URbzt4e.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If he ran independent he has no reason to care about being attacked for going back on his word. He'd know he'd never win if he did that anyway. All that would matter to him would be screwing the GOP nominee over and letting him bask in the limelight for another few months.

The only question is how much he wants to look like an outsider in order to win the nomination. Clearly the GOP likes outsiders right now, but with how hard Jeb is attacking him for being too outside, I guess it might help for him to look a little more like a team player by signing this pledge.

If he ran independent he has no reason to care about being attacked for going back on his word. He'd know he'd never win if he did that anyway. All that would matter to him would be screwing the GOP nominee over and letting him bask in the limelight for another few months.

The only question is how much he wants to look like an outsider in order to win the nomination. Clearly the GOP likes outsiders right now, but with how hard Jeb is attacking him for being too outside, I guess it might help for him to look a little more like a team player by signing this pledge.
Is Jeb really successfully attacking Trump though? Trump put out an Instagram vid with Jebs mom saying that she didn't want Jeb to run.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
He was the meme candidate at first but now it seems like all the other candidates are memes. Either he is smart or the competition is bad. Good for him either way.

Yo what? Has the party seriously never done this before? I thought maybe I'm just now hearing about it because I'm more into politics this season.

Man the GOP is wacked out these days.

Voters in primaries have been asked to sign loyalty pledges before. But I'm not aware of any Presidential candidate having to do this before. They are obviously doing this just because of Trump.

Lorcain

I think the republican party should change their pledge to a secret blood oath and tattoo branding, solemnly sworn and administered during an evening ceremony held inside the Reagan library, with Cheney as the Oathmaster. Bush Jr could do the branding.

Signing some imaginary contract is not going to get him to not run as an independent. Trump playing the Reblicans like a fiddle.

He's been playing everybody like a fiddle. He's lying through his teeth and will lie through his teeth until he loses or is elected.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
afaik its non-binding, so going independent was going to be a big F YOU anyway, so it'll be an even bigger one now.

AGITΩ

Doesnt say that he cant run as VP and be the true face of whatever candidate he wines and dines for the "presidential" seat for 3rd party.

Loopholes.

xbhaskarx

I think people are reading this wrong. He's not signing because he would just break it at some later date, or because of any "loopholes"... He's signing now because he won't need to break it. His campaign folks looked at all the numbers and determined that his likelihood of winning the Republican candidacy is high enough that he can now sign this pledge. If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have signed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think people are reading this wrong. He's not signing because he would just break it at some later date, or because of any "loopholes"... He's signing now because he won't need to break it. His campaign folks looked at all the numbers and determined that his likelihood of winning the Republican candidacy is high enough that he can now sign this pledge. If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have signed.

or maybe because they would leave him off the South Carolina primary ballot if he didnt

old

I hope he got something out if it, otherwise he just conceded a bunch of leverage for no reason.

4Tran

The funny thing is that this pledge does nothing to hurt Trump in the case he does decide to run as an independent. All he has to do in that case is to say that he was willing to support the Republican nominee if he was treated fairly by the RNC, and that the reason he didn't get nominated was because they were out to get him. And the best part about this is that Trump would be entirely correct if he were to use this tact.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The funny thing is that this pledge does nothing to hurt Trump in the case he does decide to run as an independent. All he has to do in that case is to say that he was willing to support the Republican nominee if he was treated fairly by the RNC, and that the reason he didn't get nominated was because they were out to get him. And the best part about this is that Trump would be entirely correct if he were to use this tact.

or he can say

he tried to go somewhat "establishment" and didn't like the "establishment"

It's a win win for trump

4Tran

or he can say

he tried to go somewhat "establishment" and didn't like the "establishment"

It's a win win for trump
It gets even better. If Trump actually wins he nomination, all of the pledge signees will be bound to endorse him. Even the ones he just insulted! This RNC move shows how ineffectual they are at attacking him.

APF

Bad move by the GOP. In the current climate, him lying and breaking the pledge will only increase his credibility with people likely to vote for him. The conversation will turn to how he played the establishment and that sentiment has a lot of hold with the electorate.

6e6dca0241.png

conspiracy theory: gop leadership saw that jeb! is a sinking ship. so they decided to reach out to trump and build up relations again, as he is the leading candidate. in return for him signing the pledge, they'll put their support behind him instead of jeb!. jeb! found out and as a result, instead of holding back against trump because he knew that attacking trump was a mistake if gop leadership was going to make sure trump never got the candidacy, started to run attack ads against him and trump signed the pledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom