• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs the republican pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart move by him. This increases his goodwill with the GOP, making it more likely that he'll just win the nomination, making the pledge irrelevant. If he doesn't win the nomination.... fuck them and their pledge, he can do what he wants. It's literally a win win.
Which makes me wonder why this "Pledge" business happened to begin with. It's all targeted at Trump, but the GOP has to realize there's nothing binding him other than his word and if he backs out due to not getting the nomination it'll look bad for them since he has such a vast amount of support.

Donald "People are praying for me" Trump upon not winning the nomination:

6PlRXhI.jpg

C'mon Trump, we need this from you

Flo_Evans

I wonder what trump got.

His whole threat to go independent was to prevent a brokered convention IMHO. I think he would still go independent if he 'wins' the primary but the delegates choose someone else.

FyreWulff

I wonder what trump got.

His whole threat to go independent was to prevent a brokered convention IMHO. I think he would still go independent if he 'wins' the primary but the delegates choose someone else.

It was literally win win for him.

They can't persue it as an attack ad angle (or harder to) since he signed it..

If he loses the nom, he can still go third party if he wants.

If he wins the nom, all the other candidates have now publically pledged to endorse him.

harmonize

lmao his promise isn't worth the paper and printer ink his john hancock sized signature was written on. If he wanted to, he could easily turn this into a positive for himself in the case that he doesn't win the nomination by going on about how the RNC begged him to sign due to the lack of confidence in the eventual nominee being able to beat an independent trump, and that it was a "good business decision" to give the establishment an empty promise that would benefit him in the long run. His base would eat that pseudo-savvy mentality up.

Anyone mind explaining WHY this contract isn't legally binding? Just curious.

My hope would be that it's because everyone has a legal right to run for office, but I have a feeling that isn't true...

rjinaz

Anyone mind explaining WHY this contract isn't legally binding? Just curious.

My hope would be that it's because everyone has a legal right to run for office, but I have a feeling that isn't true...

Because it's not a legal document. It is literally just a paper with a "promise" that is signed. I could print out a similar paper right now and sign that I won't visit gaf tomorrow. Obviously there is more weight to this pledge, but in the end, Trump can back out of his word without any legal implications just like I could.

kess

Aha, what a cheesy looking pledge. No notarized seals or fancy engraving? I bet Trump was using an extra wide Sharpie so his signature would bleed through on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom