• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Next up:

dvuw5qg.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
When you're at someone's birthday party and everyone says you should be fired for kneeling to a national anthem.

Why did I grow up in such a stupid part of this country

Same just happened at a gathering of my in-laws.

Then they started talking about how Trump is terrible and they cannot understand people who vote for him.

It was...uhh...something.

Surfinn

The NFL can limit players speech no? It's a job. If they find it to be a distraction they can fire you. It's why I find these angles misguided. This is about what's right on a human level.
If lots of players protest then they aren't doing shit, aside from petty fines, I'm sure. So hopefully most of the big names participate

Calion

When you're at someone's birthday party and everyone says you should be fired for kneeling to a national anthem.

At a party, and someone dropped the gem that the players “are too stupid for kneeling, and have no idea what they’re doing”. “Stick to sports” was bingo’d too.

"You can have free speech on your own time" sounds like the rumblings of a dictatorship tbf.

Yeah but they can't do shit. Trump is seeing time and time again that his loud intimidation tactics may give his supporters a hardon, but it doesn't do anything for actually getting things done. Look at how well things are going with North Korea despite him constantly threatening them. Then he pulls this stunt and it immediately backfires.

TraBuch

Banned

Then they started talking about how Trump is terrible and they cannot understand people who vote for him.

My dad thinks Trump is a fucking idiot but also fucking hates seeing all these athletes kneel. I try to explain their point of view, but all he sees is that millionaires are being disrespectful to the flag.

The NFL can limit players speech no? It's a job. If they find it to be a distraction they can fire you. It's why I find these angles misguided. This is about what's right on a human level.

Yes, the NFL can, the problem here is that they haven't, yet the government is stepping in and telling them they should. That's a clear violation of the free speech protection provided by the 1st Amendment.

Zolo

For what it's worth, this is why I think genuine supporters of Trump are basically lost causes. Even a certain # of people who agree with some of what he says politically can still recognize he's an assholish conman.

My dad thinks Trump is a fucking idiot but also fucking hates seeing all these athletes kneel. I try to explain their point of view, but all he sees is that millionaires are being disrespectful to the flag.

you should let him know the flag is an inanimate object and doesn't have feelings

The NFL can limit players speech no? It's a job. If they find it to be a distraction they can fire you.

Just wanted to address this part of your post. The problem now is that if they take some kind of action, it won't be seen as them doing it on their own. It will be seen as them caving to pressure from the White House and the very President who was very critical of the actions of these players in the first place.

If the NFL does what the President wants it will be seen as him basically successfully ordering the players to bend to his will and getting the last laugh in this dispute. If it somehow actually went that far I wonder just how the players and public will respond.

Trying to force people to stand during national anthems, forcing punishments for those that don't, "free speech on your own time".

Those are dictatorship acts.

So far it's all talk. There are actual people being held as political prisoners and executed under real dictatorships around the world. Not to mention we still have elections, in case anyone forgot.

RDreamer

It becomes an actual free speech issue when you have the government pressuring businesses to fire people for political speech.

Anytime Paris comes on CNN i cant believe its real. There's no way people like that, especially somewhat educated ones, and black at that...exist right? That has to be a TV persona. My god I literally cannot

Boke1879

The ONLY thing that makes me mad though.

Is that it took Trump calling them bitches to make them kneel today and not all the injustices or Kaep's original message.

Ri'Orius

Literally in violation of the first amendment. Holy shit.

Suggesting Congress make a ruling would violate the First. Suggesting NFL owners do so doesn't.

If Starbucks wanted to fire employees who say Merry Christmas that'd be well within their rights. No different for another employer regulating its employees' behavior while on the clock (and even off it for public-facing roles).

That said, I love that now it's disrespecting the military and first responders. Soon Trumpets will be claiming it disrespects puppies and children, too.
What I don't love is that a nontrivial number of people will agree with this nonsense.

Exile20

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but I just found out the ENTIRE Steelers team is staying in the the locker room for the anthem. That is fucking awesome

Via NYT notifications
Well that how it was before 2009 until the government paid these NFL teams to come out and stand for the anthem.

TraBuch

Banned
The ONLY thing that makes me mad though.

Is that it took Trump calling them bitches to make them kneel today and not all the injustices or Kaep's original message.
Kinda rubs me the wrong way too. All of this happening today is in response to Trump, but before that, most of them talked about how much it sucked that Kaep was being blackballed, but they weren't actually taking action.

It feels like today's kneeling has taken away from the original message. Instead of being about equality and police brutality, it's now a "Fuck you" to Trump.

Boke1879

I was just telling my parents how the NFL players are cowards compared to NBA. They got to get called a bitch to do something.

And Ray Lewis? Vouches for Trump, mocks Kaep. Hell stopped him from joining the Ravens. His ass is kneeling today.

The NBA is just so far ahead and my only conclusion is that the Culture of the NBA and NFL are vastly different.

It's such bullshit that conservatives want athletes to shut up about politics, but shit-stains like Mnuchin can spew their verbal diarrhea about athletics and they're all silent.

I long for the days when wearing a tan suit was the worst thing the president did for the whole year.

This motherfucker is threatening to blow North Korea off the face of the earth while twitter beefing with the NFL.

Mueller please find enough dirt to get his ass out of office.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Have you ever considered sacrificing the social comfort of this birthday party and calling out the bullshit you hear rather than standing silent and letting morons speak unopposed?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tumaini Carayol‏ @tumcarayol

Nick Kyrgios just took a knee before his warm-up vs Federer. He's not American and there was no anthem, but that's how you show solidarity.

YaBish

Proud to be a Steelers fan. Even if Villanueva felt like he had to be there.

I knew that the team that instituted the Rooney rule wouldn't let me down.

Agkel

Tumaini Carayol‏ @tumcarayol

Nick Kyrgios just took a knee before his warm-up vs Federer. He's not American and there was no anthem, but that's how you show solidarity.

That is good and all but I truly hope this doesn't turn into the "#taketheknee challenge".
There is a message behind taking a knee that goes beyond a big "fuck you trump" and we must not let that message get pushed to the back.

CCS

Banned
That is good and all but I truly hope this doesn't turn into the "#taketheknee challenge".
There is a message behind taking a knee that goes beyond a big "fuck you trump" and we must not let that message get pushed to the back.

He is half-Malaysian from a country which treats immigrants and refugees like shit, so I imagine he appreciates the message.

Top Bottom