• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

I guess I didn't think it was likely Rodgers would kneel but he's a hell of a lot more likely than Brady if you're looking for one of the white faces of the sport. I wouldn't be surprised if he's afraid of any scrutiny about him personally given the way his public and private life have played out during his career.

This is a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. in response to white moderates who sit on the fence and want to maintain the status quo during times like this. I'm sure this was not quoted to describe Trump.

I know.

The post was originally in response to J-Rezz, who is not a moderate.

Ernest

Banned
The real unfortunate thing about this is that by making it an anti-Trump thing, the original purpose of Kaepernick taking a knee has been obscured. He was protesting police brutality, not Trump.

Linkura

The real unfortunate thing about this is that by making it an anti-Trump thing, the original purpose of Kaepernick taking a knee has been obscured. He was protesting police brutality, not Trump.

Trump couldn't help himself by making it about him. Everything always has to be about him.

J-Rzez

Point being, it is stupid to think that sports is ever escapism because guess what, real life is a part of sports too.

Those people view sports for the wrong manner then. But to each their own.

Oh my freaking ass.

The people that want "politics out of sports" would be just fucking fine if Trump himself came on just before a game and said shit that pissed off liberals they hate. They don't want an escape from politics. They just don't want to think about feeling bad for the privilege they have or the bullshit this country does sometimes. They don't want politics out of sports. They want shit that doesn't agree with their worldview out of sports.

I'm just going to tell you this. You're going to have to understand it. These people exist and have just as many rights as people that adamantly pick one side strong or the other.

You NEED to understand this is a thing. If you want proof, just look at the last election. Things are different from 10, 20, 30, 40+ years ago. Adapt to give those people an answer, to get them to support you, or you're not getting anywhere, again.

Calling these people ignorant or racists just because they don't agree with one heavily leaned side's view is not going to win you favor. Instead, it's going to embolden one side, and cause resentment with the middle ground. Like it or not, that's the cold hard truth.

I'm just going to tell you this. You're going to have to understand it. These people exist and have just as many rights as people that adamantly pick one side strong or the other.

You NEED to understand this is a thing. If you want proof, just look at the last election. Things are different from 10, 20, 30, 40+ years ago. Adapt to give those people an answer, to get them to support you, or you're not getting anywhere, again.
But that assumes that adaptation earns support, rather than earning indifference and the feeling of “everyhing’s fine now”

Calling these people ignorant or racists just because they don't agree with one heavily leaned side's view is not going to win you favor. Instead, it's going to embolden one side, and cause resentment with the middle ground. Like it or not, that's the cold hard truth.

Sounds like your whole position is "there are a lot of indifferent, offended or just straight up hateful white people out there so just lay back and take it or else."

You're clearly one of them so

More like that's what you would like to happen because it's more convenient for you and your beliefs. I don't give a shit that a bunch of white losers don't have a shred of empathy when it comes to the treatment of PoC

RDreamer

I'm not denying people claim they want politics outta their fucking sports, but I'm telling you that most of them are lying sacks of shit. That's a cold hard truth. I've met them. I know them. I've seen them applaud politics at this same shit. These are the fuckers who wanted politics out of their music and were pissed at the Dixie chicks, yet cheer every right wing nutfuck that shit on Obama. They love them some Ted Nugent and now we might get Kid fucking Rock the Senator. They don't want politics out of their shit. They want politics that they don't agree with to go away.

The rest of your post is unrelated gibberish as far as I'm concerned. I didn't call them ignorant. I didn't call them racist. I don't give a fucking shit about the political implications. I'm telling you who they are and what they want. I grew up with these sorts of people. I lived with them. I still live amongst them. I see them every day. I know what they're about.

They're privileged. It's the same thing as when someone sees a gay couple and thinks they're rubbing their sexuality in their faces but don't blink an eye when a straight couple kisses. Their worldview is normal and doesn't register to them. Things outside that worldview do register. That's what I'm talking about. Politics that they agree with don't register with them as politics. Politics that they don't agree with registers and pisses them off. I would bet you any money that a large portion of these sorts of people would applaud some sort of blue lives matter demonstration during their precious political free football zone. It's not about politics. It's about challenging their fragile worldview.

cdyhybrid

Good on you, Seattle.

Also goddamnit, now I gotta deal with cdyhybrid bragging about having the most morally upstanding team in the league for the rest of the season.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that the military pays the NFL to have all this shit at their games.

You mean my Warriors? Or my Cavs?

FyreWulff

We will not negotiate with domestic terrorists.

Has nothing to do with right/wrong or even about "to each their own" (which is weird because this is a fundamental reality about sports ever since the early 1900s, it's not an opinion that can just be discarded). It has everything to do with realizing that sports isn't just pigeon-holed into being just one thing, which is what people who cry about escapism fail to realize.

So I can sum it up:

People are tired of politics and want an exit from it, even for just a little bit. Sports is an outlet for some people. This is why they're upset. It's not causing the desired effect, in which it's symobilism is catered towards a group of people that's probably not in the majority of the sport, and instead it's enraging the opposite group, and also starting to piss off fence sitters.

To be fair, the national anthem is not "just for the military" as some think. It's respecting the country itself that grants people the freedoms and opportunities they have. So it's insulting the thing that gives people these freedoms. Instead, the players should make a mark by speaking out to media post-game and throughout the week who will happily give them a soap box for clicks/views. It also doesn't help that this country is what gives them this opportunity for their career, which they're collecting checks from which is infuriating people. So, another good point would be for MORE of them to give their lions share of their earnings away to groups in need, not buy that new Lambo, boat, house. Not take a picture of themselves standing in front of a closet full of new sneakers never used sitting in their boxes.

So that's the gist of it all.

What % of your income do you donate towards groups that aim to tackle systemic racism in policing?

You know, what with all the disrespecting of the flag / anthem going on, I can't help picture certain members of the crowd going overkill with the respectin' during the anthem.

STANDING UP SUPER STRAIGHT
HAND GRIPPING HEART
EYES STRAINING TO GET EVERY LAST FLAG DETAIL IN
EAGLE!

Indoctrination is out of control.

linkboy

I'm not denying people claim they want politics outta their fucking sports, but I'm telling you that most of them are lying sacks of shit. That's a cold hard truth. I've met them. I know them. I've seen them applaud politics at this same shit. These are the fuckers who wanted politics out of their music and were pissed at the Dixie chicks, yet cheer every right wing nutfuck that shit on Obama. They love them some Ted Nugent and now we might get Kid fucking Rock the Senator. They don't want politics out of their shit. They want politics that they don't agree with to go away.

The rest of your post is unrelated gibberish as far as I'm concerned. I didn't call them ignorant. I didn't call them racist. I don't give a fucking shit about the political implications. I'm telling you who they are and what they want. I grew up with these sorts of people. I lived with them. I still live amongst them. I see them every day. I know what they're about.

They're privileged. It's the same thing as when someone sees a gay couple and thinks they're rubbing their sexuality in their faces but don't blink an eye when a straight couple kisses. Their worldview is normal and doesn't register to them. Things outside that worldview do register. That's what I'm talking about. Politics that they agree with don't register with them as politics. Politics that they don't agree with registers and pisses them off. I would bet you any money that a large portion of these sorts of people would applaud some sort of blue lives matter demonstration during their precious political free football zone. It's not about politics. It's about challenging their fragile worldview.

Exactly.

These people want minorities to know their role. They want them to know that minorities are subservient to them.

That's why they fly off the handle anytime someone who is a minority speaks their mind, or protests in some way, shape or form.

*applauds*

Calderc

You know, what with all the disrespecting of the flag / anthem going on, I can't help picture certain members of the crowd going overkill with the respectin' during the anthem.

STANDING UP SUPER STRAIGHT
HAND GRIPPING HEART
EYES STRAINING TO GET EVERY LAST FLAG DETAIL IN
EAGLE!

Indoctrination is out of control.

Yeah as a Scot I have to say I find the flag and anthem thing kinda baffling. It's not like the military or American electricity is powered by how hard you sing the anthem or stand for the flag.

Kneeling during the anthem is the most minor form of protesting there is so Trump and his awful minions getting so heated over it is just beyond comprehension to me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Pete Carroll brought this point up today on face the nation and said this was a good time to remind people of what the original protest was about.

Now win the game plz Pete. Gg touchdown!!!

(Now that was weird timing)

besada

Banned
I don't really care if some sports fans want a safe space where they can't be confronted with the consequences of their votes and apathy. And I'm unconvinced the argument is anything other than poorly concealed concern trolling anyway.

It's another variation of "Shut up or we'll get more Trump" which ignores the actual reasons Trump won and his consistently falling numbers. In short, bullshit.

What % of your income do you donate towards groups that aim to tackle systemic racism in policing?
Now you know damn well...

I find it hilarious how he's telling people to be tolerant and coddle his beliefs, yet he's on the offense against everyone else's. Yeah, let's just pack up and protest on the moon so we don't rock the boat.

Apparently negative peace is greater than legitimate justice, and we NEED to understand this.

JABEE

Torrey Smith on if he’s surprised by Trump’s comments

5DYXs65_d.jpg

Other comment:

kY8UAwz.jpg

Now you know damn well...

I find it hilarious how he's telling people to be tolerant and coddle his beliefs, yet he's on the offense against everyone else's. Yeah, let's just pack up and protest on the moon so we don't rock the boat.

Apparently negative peace is greater than legitimate justice, and we NEED to understand this.

I mean in a past thread the dude said he views protesters as human garbage because they don't "move society forward to a harmonious state".

I still remember back in the day when Bill was running and there was a picture of Hillary at a protest burning a flag. That really pissed me off at the time and I thought that she was a horrible person for doing so. 20 or so years later, Trump has made me think about that time and how wrong I was, and how much my perspective has changed since then. Any form or protest is cool with me, and I wish anyone who actively takes part in trying to fix this mess the best of luck and my full support.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Pretty much.

This is also the same person who goes on and on about supporting the troops, but doesn't want to spend any tax dollars to actually support them.

aka, they're a bunch of hypocrites.

It's the same here in Canada. Morons who pine for the days of Harper and love our troops despite the fact that he axed veteran benefits and support.

It's impossible to argue with these people with anything resembling facts because they will just completely ignore them.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Pretty much.

This is also the same person who goes on and on about supporting the troops, but doesn't want to spend any tax dollars to actually support them.

aka, they're a bunch of hypocrites.
I wouldn't say that's accurate; Generally, the military is the only thing they're okay with their taxes supporting and with balooning government budgets on.

The hypocritical bit is more that they think the best way to support our troops is to increase US military action and conflicts, which, uh, tends to kill a bunch of our troops.

Top Bottom