• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job’ Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation

androvsky

DAOSbjOUwAEqKI8.jpg

lmao everyone in the White House has been so brow beaten and defeated within just under 5 months of this administration you've now got members casually going on the record admitting everyone's historically incompetent

Read the rest of that quote. The official is saying the comms operation is competent, it's just they can't do anything with the President constantly shitting the bed on twitter.

Doomsayer

Read the rest of that quote. The official is saying the comms operation is competent, it's just they can't do anything with the President constantly shitting the bed on twitter.

That's what I got from that, too. It's still insane to me that people are still willing die on this hill with him.

Hazmat

Heh, yeah I am aware of that. I'm just surprised there was/is no process of moving it up the list, though I guess that could be something that would require a constitutional amendment.

That's one problem with the order of succession (and it would require a constitutional amendment to change). The bigger problem is that President pro tempore of the senate is essentially a ceremonial position. Mitch McConnell is the most powerful person in the senate, but the president pro tempore is Orrin Hatch. The majority party just gives the position to the senator from their party with the longest time served in the senate. That includes Strom Thurmond holding the position when he was, I shit you not, over 100 years old. Basically, if POTUS, VPOTUS, and the Speaker are in the same room and a bomb goes off we're fucked.

That's one problem with the order of succession (and it would require a constitutional amendment to change). The bigger problem is that President pro tempore of the senate is essentially a ceremonial position. Mitch McConnell is the most powerful person in the senate, but the president pro tempore is Orrin Hatch. The majority party just gives the position to the senator from their party with the longest time served in the senate. That includes Strom Thurmond holding the position when he was, I shit you not, over 100 years old. Basically, if POTUS, VPOTUS, and the Speaker are in the same room and a bomb goes off we're fucked.

I've always wondered how in the world does an asshole Mitch McConnell have so much power? Do people actually like this guy?

no we're not. the entire point by going by seniority is familiarity with processes involved with the executive branch. would hatch make a good president? who knows, but he would be more familiar with the processes and job duties than any of the secretaries of ______ trump picked or some new 1 year senator. or trump himself

johnsmith

remember me
DAOSbjOUwAEqKI8.jpg

lmao everyone in the White House has been so brow beaten and defeated within just under 5 months of this administration you've now got members casually going on the record admitting everyone's historically incompetent
That guy giving the quote is incompetent if he thinks firing an FBI director is something that just blows over in 24 hrs.

ElRenoRaven

I love seeing Trump defended on CNN by using this logic.Trump clearly doesn't believe what he says. Yup. Trumps a damn liar so obviously he didn't believe anything he said to the Russians. Literal Defense for Trump on Cnn. Can you guess by who? Rick Santorum.

Allard

Firing anyone with a term that is supposed to extend beyond his presidency is going to get attention even without a scandal, people are going to want to know why. He truly has the 'best' advisors.

That's one problem with the order of succession (and it would require a constitutional amendment to change).
Actually, the order of succession is not ruled by the constitution, but rather the Presidential Succession Act. It can be changed by Congress, and has been so multiple times. The most recent addition was the Secretary of Homeland Security, and apparently there was a fair bit of discussion about putting it higher on the list, but in the end they went with tradition.

Fun fact - apparently some law scholars think the act is unconstitutional, so any succession beyond the vice president may end up challenged in court. It also seems as if someone higher on the list becomes available, in particular a new Speaker is chosen, then the presidency reverts to them.

Allard

Actually, the order of succession is not ruled by the constitution, but rather the Presidential Succession Act. It can be changed by Congress, and has been so multiple times. The most recent addition was the Secretary of Homeland Security, and apparently there was a fair bit of discussion about putting it higher on the list, but in the end they went with tradition.

Fun fact - apparently some law scholars think the act is unconstitutional, so any succession beyond the vice president may end up challenged in court. It also seems as if someone higher on the list becomes available, in particular a new Speaker is chosen, then the presidency reverts to them.

Plus there is the fact once the succession is in place the new President can and is expected to appoint a new VP, likely new cabinet members which restarts the whole succession chain over again. Ryan or Pence would need to be 'impeached' or resign before being called up to take the presidency, in other words they would have to be taken out at the exact same time as Trump or the senate/house would need to deny their VP appointments.

What an amazing week wow

also saw a video Stephen A friggin Smith went to Fox and Schooled them (and ted nugent) on politics...amazing

If anyone is interested lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6yKUsGG7c

those Numbskulls actually think his social media account actually reaches, directly, 100 million people. A single tweet of his gets 50k likes. It has very low engagement. At this point there are more detractors hanging on his tweets ready to tear them to pieces than there are fans. His twitter account is like the booster stage that burned out but he won't jettison now it's pulling him back to earth.

Hazmat

no we're not. the entire point by going by seniority is familiarity with processes involved with the executive branch. would hatch make a good president? who knows, but he would be more familiar with the processes and job duties than any of the secretaries of ______ trump picked or some new 1 year senator. or trump himself

You're entirely missing my point, which is that President Pro Tempore is a terrible position to be high in the line of succession because they just throw the job at old people. In the days after 9/11 Republicans were ok with a (horrible) 100 year old man holding the position. Democrats were ok recently with a 90 year old having it.

You're entirely missing my point, which is that President Pro Tempore is a terrible position to be high in the line of succession because they just throw the job at old people. In the days after 9/11 Republicans were ok with a (horrible) 100 year old man holding the position. Democrats were ok recently with a 90 year old having it.

i was only responding to your claim that if the top 3 are gone we're fucked which i disagree with. i'm only saying that, imo, it's the only recourse to have. since the potus appoints secretaries himself, having a position based on seniority between that acts as a buffer. for example, would i rather hatch be president before any of trump's secretary choices? hell yes

B.O.O.M

Anderson Cooper is going nuts on CNN now thanks J Lord...why even invite THIS 'nutjob' to CNN in the first place? Boggles my mind

Hazmat

i was only responding to your claim that if the top 3 are gone we're fucked which i disagree with. i'm only saying that, imo, it's the only recourse to have. since the potus appoints secretaries himself, having a position based on seniority between that acts as a buffer. for example, would i rather hatch be president before any of trump's secretary choices? hell yes

I didn't mean that in our exact current situation we'd be worse off with President Hatch than Trump. I mean that the order of succession is terribly flawed because it goes: reasonable (VP), reasonable (Speaker), potential disaster with a 100 year old President whose only qualification is that the morons in his state keep electing him (President Pro Tempore), reasonable (Secretary of State) and so on.

Hazmat

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. This is what I get for looking up the 25th amendment for related but not identical reasons this afternoon.

Buckle

Whoever puts out the final leak that nails Trump, can we give them the nobel peace prize?

Maybe give them a fiefdom for slaying the dragon and averting nuclear devastation.

Top Bottom