• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TumbleSeed |OT| A Friend in Need is a Seed Indeed

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Count me in the people who love this game. What could enhance it is to have a dedicated menu showing all abilities. For its own sake, maybe reduce the number of it, so that it's easier to remember what they do.

I will definitely give this a try again post patch. I'm glad the Dev basically confirmed everything I thought about the game.

It was difficult in the way bad NES games were, and not the way good NES games were.

The dev's blog was encouraging. I loved the aesthetics of the games, and really wanted to like it, but the joy of succeeding felt a lot more metagame (the joy of simply succeeding in a hard game) rather than in-game (the joy of using mechanics).

Can't wait

Make me feel guilty for not buying it... yet.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

I'm totally someone that was a little tepid on the game for a lot of the reasons they listed in the post mortem. The GB Quicklook was pretty meh IMO (but in the games defense, they aren't the best with hard games or games with weird controls), and pretty much the only thing I had heard about the game from impressions and reviews was just that it was hard.

I've got a vacation coming up, so I might pick it up before I head out for that.

NateDrake

The game kicked my ass but I kept playing it and playing it. I put it down because other stuff came out that was more fun, but it is something I want to return to. Hopefully they are able to alter the perception of the game and find a new audience once those changes are added.

I don't know I really enjoy it. The thing with being too hard, isn't that it's just hard, Isaac is hard, Spelunky is hard, but they have a rewarding progression. Tumbleseed after the first level is like nope. Which hey if that's what they wanted, they succeeded. It's not bad, I don't know how to make it easier- add more lives, more powerups and less enemies?

Overall though I was impressed at PAX East, and I still play it every once in a while on Switch, shame it got bashed down. If it was too easy though, reviews would've said it's a throw away 30 minute game for 15$, so it was a catch 22 for them anyway. Tough Spot to be in.

Their post is exactly what I thought

0.2% Beat the game
0.8% Reached tne Summit
1.8% Reached the Snow
8.3% Reached the Desert
41% Reached the Jungle

Doesn't say when its coming to Switch- I sure hope it does, that'd be a bummer.

ryushe

I don't know I really enjoy it. The thing with being too hard, isn't that it's just hard, Isaac is hard, Spelunky is hard, but they have a rewarding progression. Tumbleseed after the first level is like nope.
This was exactly my problem with the game.

I really like Tumbleseed (well, the starting area), but the fact remains: it's just too hard and I'm glad the developer is aware of it.

I actually really enjoyed my time learning the first area and how to approach it, but soon after that, it became too much the manage way too quick.

There's now half a dozen new powers to learn, half of them being entirely too situational to be useful and and the other half useless, new enemies, most of which are honestly BS, all on top of a new dangerous environment to traverse. It's all too much. Not only that, you have a teleport function that's honestly at odds with itself, because if you enter the second area without gaining the crystals/seeds from the previous one, you will be woefully unprepared and eaten alive.

Like I said, I really enjoy Tumbleseed and I still play it from time to time. Heck, it's actually my second favorite Switch game, so I wish nothing but the best for these guys but man, the difficulty curve from the first area to the second is a steep one indeed.

Chauzu

I don't know I really enjoy it. The thing with being too hard, isn't that it's just hard, Isaac is hard, Spelunky is hard, but they have a rewarding progression. Tumbleseed after the first level is like nope. Which hey if that's what they wanted, they succeeded. It's not bad, I don't know how to make it easier- add more lives, more powerups and less enemies?

Overall though I was impressed at PAX East, and I still play it every once in a while on Switch, shame it got bashed down. If it was too easy though, reviews would've said it's a throw away 30 minute game for 15$, so it was a catch 22 for them anyway. Tough Spot to be in.

Their post is exactly what I thought

0.2% Beat the game
0.8% Reached tne Summit
1.8% Reached the Snow
8.3% Reached the Desert
41% Reached the Jungle

Doesn't say when its coming to Switch- I sure hope it does, that'd be a bummer.

I'm in the top 1.8% at least then! Lol

ryushe

Honestly, now that I think about it, the game just has too many enemies to deal with at a given time. Not only that, most of them track you which really suck. I think I'd be ok with one super enemy/boss at each summit that you could bypass, but if you beat them, the reward for doing so would be substantial.

aeiowu

Neo Member
Hey all, thanks for all the well-wishes. They mean a lot. And also for the earnest feedback, they help us make a better game.

If any of you manage to give the new update a go on Steam (and you were a player that sorta bounced off) I'd love to hear about your experience with the latest. Also, lmk if you have any questions about the details of the update or anything else. Cheers!

The Wart

Nice to hear! I really enjoy the game and still bust it out once in a while, but I've more or less given up on ever getting past the snow area.

I'm in the top 1.8% at least then! Lol

tumblr_nkogz6REgT1r0yf5ho1_500.jpg

:)

BizzyBum

Dude... I got this awesome power-up that told me it would go around the screen and kill enemies for me. Sweet! I'm also finally on the last part before reaching the summit for the first time. I'm in the town beforehand in a store and this fucking thing hits me and kills me because I had one heart.

You gotta be fucking kidding me, would be nice if it mentioned it could hurt you as well. What a bogus way to die that high up...

quabba

That update sounds great, if it teaches me to how to play game better and I can get further I'll give it another shot.

JonnyKong

Do we have a date for when the update hits the Switch version? I've been looking forward to giving this game a go for a while, but I'm definitely waiting until then.

Bought this today. Thought I'd try it before and after the update.

The main problem for me is that there's no differentiation of the things you'll collide with and the things you won't. Which is just confusing.

Maengun1

Did the update make the game a lot easier? Either that or I got way better since the last time I played lol

Either way I'm enjoying jumping back into this, love free updates

Yeah, I'm very interested in impressions of how the patch changes are for this game.

The patch+the 33% discount means I'll most likely be picking this game up very soon along with that Slime-san game.

Good week for the Switch! :D

ryushe

So yeah, played this for about an hour yesterday post update and yup, this game is infinitely better now if only for the fact you can now pick up an aura before a run. That single change made all the difference in the world.

This is not even counting the end of each run having a boss fight of sorts, Adventure mode, Quest that matters, Daily and weekly challenges and a 2 -player mode.

Thank you Aeiowu. My 2nd favorite Switch game just got so much better.

dock

I tried for a while but I still found the systems too complex and the control too annoying. I think there's a wonderful game here, just it remains fiddly and obtuse not what I was expecting.

Tell me what you think.
This is the hardest game I've played in a while. Nothing unbalanced about it or anything, I'm just terrible. It's pretty fun though, and I like the charm it carries. It's also the perfect game for me to play at work, so that's a bonus as well.

Worth it.

This game is fuckin tough but it's so cool and creative. Finally get to experience HD Rumble with my JoyCons and it's so friggin' awesome how it feels like you're rolling a marble between the two controllers. The controls are difficult to get the hang of but I feel like with more time and practice they can be mastered and then I'm sure the game would get really crazy to try and speed run or something. It's kind of like Snake Pass, something totally new to me.

This game makes me feel like HD Rumble and Split Controls are the GOAT controller method that everything should eventually become, the feel of the ball rolling between the two JoyCons adds so much immersion and helps with the timing of the paddles to avoid holes and stuff. It's crazy, I want every game to have cool HD Rumble now.

jariw

Don't miss the the new local 2-player mode on the Switch! It's a capture the flag battle mode, and an REALLY fun way to get some training on the controls. I think it requires 2 sets of joycons or an additional pro controller, though.

Don't miss the the new local 2-player mode on the Switch! It's a capture the flag battle mode, and an REALLY fun way to get some training on the controls. I think it requires 2 sets of joycons or an additional pro controller, though.

It is very fun. Played it last week.

It supports any control configuration, with a single Joy-Con it's left stick, with X and B doing what the right stick does.

The crazy thing about playing in multiplayer is the lack of rumble - it feels so wrong! The HD Rumble really adds to the game.

Top Bottom