• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy shit, looks like WE TV is going to pick up the 'Untitled Richard LaGravenese/Tony Goldwyn Project' that went to pilot for AMC.

AMC Networks’ female-focused WE tv is looking to follow in the footsteps of siblings AMC, IFC and Sundance Channel by moving into original scripted series. I hear WE is getting help in its plans from AMC, whose untitled Richard LaGravenese/Tony Goldwyn drama project is eyed to become WE’s first scripted series. (The cable network also is exploring other scripted ideas.) I hear WE is considering a nine-episode order to the LaGravenese/Goldwyn project, originally ordered as a pilot by AMC last year.

It is a legal thriller centered on a District Attorney (Damon Gupton) who uncovers new evidence that prompts the reinvestigation of a sensational murder case. It explores race, capital punishment, personal morality and how people struggle with the shades of grey found in the absence of a simple, ordered moral universe. I hear the potential series order is contingent on finding a showrunner as David Manson, who ran the pilot at AMC, has since moved to Netflix’s House Of Cards as executive producer.

With its Black lead and several supporting characters, the LaGravenese/Goldwyn series would fit with WE’s lineup of mostly African American-centric reality shows including Braxton Family Values, Mary Mary, Tamar & Vince, L.A. Hair and Glam & Gold.

Source.

Looks like it's time to start paying attention to WeTV!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Outlander’ Greenlighted To Series By Starz

I’ve learned that Starz has given a series order to Outlander, a drama based on Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling fantasy/romance/adventure series of books. I hear the project, from Battlestar Galactica developer Ron Moore and Sony Pictures TV, has received a 16-episode order, with production slated to begin in October in Scotland where the books are set.

Scottish highland adventure! Ron Moore! 16 episodes?! Now where's mah Incursion?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
WGN America Greenlights Its First Original Scripted Series, Brannon Braga’s ‘Salem’

Tribune’s WGN America is officially an original scripted programming player. Two months after Matt Cherniss was named president and general manager of WGN and indicated he would be looking for a scripted series to define WGN, the superstation has greenlighted its first original scripted series, drama Salem. The project, from Star Trek and 24 alum Brannon Braga, Adam Simon (The Haunting In Connecticut) and Fox21, has received a straight-to-series 13-episode order and is slated to begin production in the fall for a 2014 premiere.

Salem, originally developed for FX, is set in the volatile world of 17th century Massachusetts and explores what really fueled the town’s infamous witch trials and dares to uncover the dark, supernatural truth hiding behind the veil of this infamous period in American history. The show, which centers on an epic romance, is said to deliver a new vision of witches who are real though they are not who or what they seem. Braga and Simon created the series and will serve as executive producers alongside Prospect Park’s Josh Barry and Jeff Kwatinetz.

Clevinger

GbYfJwm.jpg

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Joins Cinemax Pilot 'Quarry'

:eek:

:D

beat

Also not quite dead yet: Craig Robinson's show and John Mullaney's show.

http://splitsider.com/2013/07/craig...d-after-all-may-get-picked-up-for-mid-season/

NBC has just extended the cast options and ordered three more scripts, making it likely to be picked up for a potential mid-season spot.

http://splitsider.com/2013/07/it-lives-fox-may-pick-up-mulaney-after-nbc-passed-on-the-pilot/

NBC passing on John Mulaney's pilot for 'Mulaney' was one of the biggest surprises of this year's pilot season [...] But it turns out that the show isn't dead, as Fox has ordered a new version of the pilot script. If they like it, they'll pick the series up for a short six-episode season. If it gets picked up there may be some recasting, although both Mulaney and Short will stay on board.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So apparently Cinemax is getting a 10 episode series directed by Steven Soderbergh (he's directing every episode!!) and starring Clive Owen, called "The Knick".

The setting: downtown New York in 1900, a tumultuous time of massive change and great progress. The series centers around the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses and staff at Knickerbocker Hospital, who are pushing the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics.

How am I just now hearing about this? Source

Clevinger

So apparently Cinemax is getting a 10 episode series directed by Steven Soderbergh (he's directing every episode!!) and starring Clive Owen, called "The Knick".

That sounds similar to the late 1800s/early 1900s John Hopkins Medical School show David Milch has always wanted to make and we'll never see.

;_;

io9 reviewed a few pilots that they saw recently:

http://io9.com/which-new-show-will-rock-your-tv-set-first-impressions-828600560

The ones they reviewed are

- The Tomorrow People (CW, seems eh, I'll stick to Arrow)

- Almost Human (Fox, Gonna be fucking BALLER)

- The 100 (CW, I'm skipping it)

- Intelligence (CBS, I'm interested. I'll give it a shot since CBS struck gold with Person of Interest)

- Star-Crossed (CW, I think I'll skip it).

I hope there's a scene where he has to operate while having sex.

nsfw gif

Great movie. Would watch a sequel.

Zaph

No real clue how 'pilot season' works, but is it time to start worrying about Steven DeKnight's new show?

It should have been picked up months ago. No idea what's going on there. I'm sort of worried.
I checked yesterday, and it sounds like it's shelved indefinitely based on his Twitter feed.

DeKnight's Twitter Feed said:
Creatively, no. Just too complicated and expensive to move foward at the monent. RT @jackraphael2: @stevendeknight Hi Sir, heard that there's a problem goes with Incursion?

On pause. Crossing me wee feelers that it will still get made. RT @browner105: what!! no incursion!! Say it ain't so Steve??

Working on last 2 Incursion scripts. Starz wants all of season one finished. RT @yellybell333: @stevendeknight what's going on with you since Incursion is on hold?

No. Incursion is a special case because Starz already bought the show and we were in production. A pilot script and a bible laying out where the show is going is the norm. RT @DobbyStyles: @stevendeknight Is it Wise to have all episodes Complete when trying to sell your Show? Asking for myself.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
WE TV Officially Greenlights LaGravenese/Goldwyn Drama As First Scripted Series

WE tv has picked up its first scripted series with a 10-episode order to The Divide, written by Richard LaGravenese (Behind the Candelabra) and co-created by LaGravenese and Tony Goldwyn (Conviction), for a 2014 premiere.

The Divide was originally developed and ordered as a pilot last year by WE sibling AMC, which didn’t pick it up to series but left it in contention. The project’s series order by WE tv had been contingent on finding a showrunner as David Manson, who ran the pilot at AMC, had moved to Netflix’s House Of Cards as executive producer. Veteran John Tinker (The Practice) has now been tapped for the job and will serve as executive producer alongside LaGravenese and Goldwyn.

The Divide is described an exploration of personal morality and probes how truth coexists in the modern justice system alongside ambition, ethics, politics and race. As an impassioned case worker with The Innocence Initiative, Christine Rosa (Marin Ireland) delves into the case of a death-row inmate she believes was wrongly convicted of a young family’s heinous murder 11 years earlier. She chases down new evidence in a search for the truth and confronts an equally passionate district attorney, Adam Page (Damon Gupton), whose view of justice is colored by shades of grey.

“The Divide is the kind of compelling, high-quality storytelling that we think will set the right tone for our entry into scripted drama, a significant step in our network’s evolution,” WE tv President and General Manager Kim Martin, said. “We are also very pleased to be following our first scripted series order with three projects in development being driven by an incredible array of award-winning creators.”

It lives!

Formal announcement on this today: Cinemax Announces New Series 'The Knick' Starring Clive Owen & Directed by Stephen Soderbergh
Academy Award® winner and Emmy® nominee Steven Soderbergh (“Traffic,” “Side Effects,” HBO’s “Behind the Candelabra”) will direct Academy Award® and Emmy® nominee Clive Owen (“Children of Men,” HBO’s “Hemingway & Gellhorn”) in the entire ten-episode season of the CINEMAX original series THE KNICK, which begins production in New York in September.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
For some reason I had it in my mind that The Knick took place in the 1990s not in 1900. I was thinking "Medical drama in the 1990s...that's kinda weird, we haven't really come that far." Haha. 1900s is far more interesting, we'll get to see a truly brutal and dirty era of medicine.

Info on "Halt & Catch Fire" and "Turn"
AMC said:
New York – July 26, 2013 – AMC announced today series orders for the scripted dramas “Halt & Catch Fire” and “Turn.” This is the first time the network has ordered two scripted series concurrently. Production on each is scheduled for 4th quarter 2013 with both expected to premiere on AMC in 2014.

“The simultaneous greenlights today are the first in network history and underscore AMC’s growth and commitment to original scripted programming,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s EVP of original programming, production and digital content. “Each of these projects takes the audience into a unique world through compelling characters told with an original voice. We are so fortunate to be working with such exceptional talent on these series and can’t wait to bring them to viewers.”

Set in the early 1980s, “Halt & Catch Fire” dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnerships are challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie. From AMC Studios, “Halt & Catch Fire” is created by Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers from a pilot directed by Juan Campanella (The Secret In Their Eyes). Jonathan Lisco has joined the series as showrunner and Mark Johnson (“Breaking Bad,” “Rectify,” Diner, Rain Man) and Melissa Bernstein (“Breaking Bad” and “Rectify”) from Gran Via Productions also serve as executive producers. The series stars Lee Pace (Lincoln, “Pushing Daisies”) as Joe McMillan, Scoot McNairy (Argo) as Gordan Clark, Mackenzie Rio Davis (Smashed) as Cameron Howe, Kerry Bishe (Argo, Red State) as Donna Clark, Toby Huss (Cowboys & Aliens) as John Bosworth and David Wilson Barnes (The Bourne Legacy, “You Don’t Know Jack”) as Dave Butler.

Based on the book “Washington’s Spies,” written by Alexander Rose, “Turn” is set in the summer of 1778 and tells the story of New York farmer, Abe Woodhull, who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America’s fight for independence. “Turn,” also from AMC Studios, was developed and written by Craig Silverstein (“Nikita”) who also serves as series showrunner. The pilot was directed by Rupert Wyatt (Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes). Barry Josephson (“Bones,” Enchanted) from Josephson Entertainment is executive producer. The series stars Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, King Kong, The Adventures of Tintin) as Abraham Woodhull, Kevin McNally (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) as Judge Richard Woodhull, Burn Gorman (The Dark Knight Rises) as Major Hewlett, Daniel Henshall (The Snowtown Murders) as Caleb, Seth Numrich (“The Good Wife”) as Ben Talmadge, Angus MacFadyen (Braveheart) as Robert Rogers, JJ Feild (Captain America: The First Avenger) as Major John Andre, Meegan Warner as Mary Woodhull and Heather Lind (“Boardwalk Empire”) as Anna Strong.

The announcement comes on the heels of the network’s recent pilot order for “Line of Sight,” a co-production from Fox Television Studios (FTVS) and AMC Studios from writer, creator and executive producer Blake Masters (“Brotherhood,” “Rubicon,” 2 Guns). This August, AMC premieres its newest original series, ‘Low Winter Sun,” from writer, executive producer and showrunner Chris Mundy (“Criminal Minds,” “Cold Case”), a co-production from Endemol Studios and AMC Studios.

Top Bottom