• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
in the spirit of the "Movies You've Seen Recently" thread, i thought it might be prudent and useful to start a thread in which:

[a] a wide range of television shows without necessarily requiring the in-depth discussion of an official thread
people can discuss shows they're just catching up with
[c] suggestions can be made regarding new shows to watch
[d] we can just generally keep up with what everyone's been scoping out on tv.

i'm as much a fan (if not more so) of good television as i am good film, so if my intentions seem self-serving, they probably are. but consider this a place to just keep us up on what's been on your docket lately, and maybe give us a few words about your reaction to it, and why we should check it out, too. new shows, old shows, foreign shows, common shows, obscure shows. . . whatever! everything from leave it to beaver to gossip girls is fair game.

i'll keep my own viewing out of the o.p. and save it for a regular post.

so what great television have you been watching lately? what do you think of it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
House; best series ever. And more people need to watch Burn Notice... its as close to GTA Television we'll ever get (besides Cops).

Memles

Watched the United States of Tara pilot last night, but I've got too much catchup to do for me to watch much else: that five hours of 24 isn't going to watch itself, after all.

And in case anyone REALLY wants to know what I've been watching even if I'm not popping into this thread, my other outlets are my television criticism blog and my Twitter feed. Anyone else have places where they talk about the TV they watch? I don't think I could live without them, in a way.

glaurung

I have been watching the first three seasons of the X-Files.

The further into the series (there are nine seasons overall), the more the quality seems to fluctuate. Some friends have told me that beyond season four it becomes an absolute borefest, but I harbor hope for it not to happen.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my latest viewings:

quantum leap, season 1.

jil0nc.jpg

the first season of this show is, in my experience with later seasons, a little more cheesy than what was yet to come from it. the ideas aren't as developed, and a lot of the episodes play out in a structurally pretty similar fashion (sam thrown into new body, problem arises, sam dumbfounded, comes through after great determination to solve issue and leap as soon as he gets comfortable). still, there are some very genuine emotional moments. the first instance of this is in the second half of the pilot, when sam gets a chance to call his dad, who has long been dead in his time. great stuff.

mad men, season 1.

25660sg.jpg

people had been telling me about this show forever, and i'm finally catching up. two more episodes in the first season to go. what i like best is that, like many things lately, it is content to exist in the grey areas of characters. many shows are more than willing to let good people do seemingly bad things in the name of "getting things done," but really mature writers are also okay with letting seemingly reprehensible characters do good things, and show you the inner turmoil there. i'm thinking in particular of paul campbell. the women are obviously victims of the time here, but campbell is a great example of a guy who is also a victim of the social mores and trends. he's trapped in his own early 60s stupidity.

anyway, it's a great show, and i recommend it wholeheartedly.

I'm excited that Flight of the Conchords is back.

Also, my wife and I started watching How I Met Your Mother. It's surprisingly good.
Anyone else like this show?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching all of the Kenny vs Spenny episodes. Most of them are great but some are a little dull. Then I finished the second season of Deadwood. I hope the ending isn't too abrupt in the third season.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I actually just finished up the entire Stargate SG-1 series. It was way better than I thought. Also had a ton of laughs, especially episode 200. That was some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen in my life.

underbelly.jpg

Watched the entire series in one day. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. The only other time I've loved a series like this is BoB.

Can't wait for the second series of both now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bearcatjosh said:

i really need to give this show a chance. i watched a bit of an episode on hbo, but i think it's one of those "must be watched on dvd to be fully enjoyed" shows for me, like curb.

beelzebozo said:
i really need to give this show a chance. i watched a bit of an episode on hbo, but i think it's one of those "must be watched on dvd to be fully enjoyed" shows for me, like curb.

Probably so. All of the episodes are completely related.

Memles

bearcatjosh said:

Also, my wife and I started watching How I Met Your Mother. It's surprisingly good.
Anyone else like this show?

Love the show to death - it's the best sitcom currently on television, which sure isn't saying much but nonetheless is the type of thing that I feel needs to be celebrated.

Are you watching the new episodes first, or are you watching up from the beginning? I'd suggest catching up, the later seasons mean even more when you've seen the earlier ones.

harSon

Banned
I've been watching The Wire, I'm roughly half way through the 4th season and it's nothing short of amazing. I plan to watch Battlestar Galactica after finishing up the series.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
51cpn4FiPeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Lately I've been making a habit out of catching Made In Spain whenever it's on PBS. Cooking shows make up the vast majority of my television viewing since I don't have cable and don't care for anything that's on the main networks, and this one has become a favorite. Andres' enthusiasm and passion for the food and the areas it comes from falls nicely in line with Lidia Bastianich and Rick Bayless, and each episode has a nice balance of culture, scenery (Spain is soo pretty in HD) and cooking, and even the music is really good. A few years of exposure to this sort of PBS programming has really made the Food Network seem contrived and fluffy...

Fordzilla

2hdw7sl.jpg

I recently watched the first episode of The Beast with Patrick Swayze on A&E. The first thing I did when it was over was set up a TiVo season pass because it was totally bad ass. Swayze blew up a Lincoln Navigator with a land to air missle launcher.

I got caught up on BSG right before the (half-)season premiere. The half-season finale was absolutely amazing. The final shot was incredible. Half-season premiere wasn't too bad either.

I've been watching Band of Brothers again, this time on my newly acquired Blu-ray set. Still the best television production I've ever seen, and the interactive field guide on the Blu-ray set makes it even better. Training films and propaganda films from back then, military information, short bios on the soldiers, so much cool stuff. Watching it for the first time in a while, I can really appreciate some of the shots in the show now, particularly in the Bastogne episode I just watched last night.

Busty

Banned
Fringe.

A shameless mix of Lost and the X-Files by way of a procedural drama like House or CSI. But unlike 99.99% of other shameless genre 'mash ups' it actually works.

High production values. Great performances from the male leads (the father and son) and some great humour and one liners in the scripts. And a compelling (if overwhelming) mythology that relies on science fact rather than science fiction.

There have been a few missteps with dull and slightly generic episodes. But in saying that they are only ten episodes into their first season so it's early days. And the tenth episode was good.

Worth checking out......

Memles said:
Love the show to death - it's the best sitcom currently on television, which sure isn't saying much but nonetheless is the type of thing that I feel needs to be celebrated.

Are you watching the new episodes first, or are you watching up from the beginning? I'd suggest catching up, the later seasons mean even more when you've seen the earlier ones.

We watched the new episodes the last two weeks...the first time by mistake. Yesterday, intentionally.

We have season 1 coming via Netflix because I hate not knowing character backstory. Glad to hear that it's always been good.

jjasper

Psych marathon I DVRed the other day. Really like the show. Also watching Band of Brothers on Blu Ray. God it is amazing.

HylianTom

Banned
I recently watched every episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia online, mostly via Hulu. Between my partner and OT-GAF urging me to give it a chance, I finally couldn't resist any longer. The first season was pretty good, but it finally won me over when Danny Devito arrived for season two.. then it got hysterical. (thanks to GAF for nudging me into watching this show)

My first shift of every week is on Friday night from 7PM to 7AM. While I'm there, I DVR Little Britain on BBC-America. It's probably one of my favorite comedies on TV right now. Very demented, this show has scripts that would never, ever be allowed on network television here in the U.S. Once I'm settled into bed on Saturday morning, getting ready to go to sleep, I'll put it on and watch it before finally turning the TV off. It's a good ending to my first work day each week.

Otherwise, I watch the usual suspects.. The Office, 30 Rock, My Name is Earl, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Keeping Up Appearances, Top Gear.. I'm sure there are more I've forgotten..

Ceres

Banned
Old shows/seasons:
Lost s4
Babylon 5
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348944

New episodes:
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
Flight of the Conchords
Lost
(starting tomorrow)
Fringe (tonight)
Chuck (February)

Not sure what to say, I only watch tv shows that I enjoy so..... They're all good?

I also watched the new episode of Scrubs last week but I don't watch the show regularly. I may continue this time around since it's actually in HD (I only have seen occasional repeats since originally watching the first season).

Costanza

Banned
Busty said:
Fringe.

A shameless mix of Lost and the X-Files by way of a procedural drama like House or CSI. But unlike 99.99% of other shameless genre 'mash ups' it actually works.

High production values. Great performances from the male leads (the father and son) and some great humour and one liners in the scripts. And a compelling (if overwhelming) mythology that relies on science fact rather than science fiction.

There have been a few missteps with dull and slightly generic episodes. But in saying that they are only ten episodes into their first season so it's early days. And the tenth episode was good.

Worth checking out......
Yep, Fringe is great.

edit: Actually, almost all of the shows mentioned in this thread are great.

PeepShow.jpg

I picked up the first season of Peep Show. Why had i not watched this sooner?!?! I love the execution of the first person perspective and voiced-over thoughts. Hilarious stuff.

FridayNightLights_S1.jpg

I'm also currently rewatching Season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Utter goddamn perfection. Tami and Eric Taylor are the most believably written and acted couple i've ever seen in a show. Their chemistry is amazing and they have so many hilarious moments together. The rest of the ensemble is fantastic as well.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Costanza said:
Yep, Fringe is great.

edit: Actually, almost all of the shows mentioned in this thread are great.

i watched eight episodes of fringe and kind of lost faith. is the first season over? did they take it somewhere pretty interesting? i wasn't all that enthused with the main plot they had going, with the "pattern" or what have you.

Jasoco

Banned
Ben watching through Futurama for the past few days. Am up to "The Honking" near the end of Season (Volume) 2.

BobLoblaw said:
I actually just finished up the entire Stargate SG-1 series. It was way better than I thought. Also had a ton of laughs, especially episode 200. That was some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen in my life.
That one time episode in season 4 where Jack and Teal'C repeat the same six hours over and over and over again was a funny one.

Orellio said:
605_band_of_brothers_468.jpg

Never seen it before. I just watched the first two episodes yesterday.
I've been going through BoB as well; I'm on part six.

AlexMogil

Arrested Development. Never watched it, bought the DVD set from Amazon based on recommendation from everyone here.

Love it.

Watching like four episodes a night.

Oreoleo

Dax01 said:
That one time episode in season 4 where Jack and Teal'C repeat the same six hours over and over and over again was a funny one.

I've been going through BoB as well; I'm on part six.

I thought Schwimmer was pitch perfect in the first episode. I almost wish he could've stuck around a few more episodes, but I guess that's not the way things went.

I've been watching Buffy. Never really watched it before aside from the odd rerun on Sunday afternoons.

I'm up to season 6 right now. I've kinda fallen in love with the show. Great, unpretentious fun with clever writing and a likable cast.

Acting can fall short sometimes, namely Eliza Dushku and Sarah Michelle Gellar. Giles is a badass though, was sad to see him leave the show.

oh and Big Love season 3 just started. Great show!

Another Mad Men viewer here. Friends got us the S1 Box for Christmas, and now we're working through S2 (which hasn't really grabbed me yet, 4 episodes in).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
*gets on soap box*

Watch Chuck, you bastards!

*dismounts*

scott bakula is joining the cast! might be enough for me to jump on board.

THUD: quantum chuck

EW.com's Michael Ausiello has recently posted a quick bit of news that has me looking forward to the return of a show I already look forward to anyway: Scott Bakula is slated to appear on Chuck as Pops (I'm fairly certain that won't be his actual name) Bartowski. According to the article, "Chuck made a promise to his sister, Ellie [Sarah Lancaster], that he was going to find their dad in time for her wedding," Schwartz explains. "And it's something that Chuck becomes consumed with pursuing during the second half of the season. "But when he finds him, he's not necessarily a guy who wants to be found," Schwartz continues. "He's living in a trailer, he's disheveled, he's paranoid and he's claiming constantly that Ted Roark (Chevy Chase) -- who he used to work with -- stole all his ideas from him. And Ted Roark has now become this super-successful software billionaire, and Chuck's dad has become an eccentric, living in the shadows."

Costanza

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i watched eight episodes of fringe and kind of lost faith. is the first season over?
10 have aired so far and new ones start tonight.
did they take it somewhere pretty interesting?
Fuck yes. The midseason finale is incredible and gives the pattern mythology a ton of potential.

I've been watching the first season of Californication and the third season of Dexter lately. Gotta love those Showtime shows.

*waits for new episodes of Weeds*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom