• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Finished up Star Trek The Next Generation and its subsequent films. I just finished the first three episodes of Deep Space Nine last night.

beelzebozo said:
my god, i'm such an idiot :lol

of COURSE.

man, don's last ad pitch of the first season is beautifully written. probably my favorite moment of the show thus far.
:D

(don't feel bad, i felt exactly the same way as you)

cwmartin

leverage is sweet, in a kind of "we're robin hood and funny" sort of way. actually that doesnt sound sweet at all. Well just watch it.

Blader

The TV shows that I just started watching recently:

The Shield - Pretty cool show. Started out slow, but quickly got better and better. I think the season I'm on right now though (S4) is a bit of a step down, but I trust things will start ramping up again soon.

Extras - Meh. I like Ricky Gervais, and think he's pretty damn funny when doing stand-up or something like that, but the show is kind of hit or miss for me. I'm onto series 2 now, and only two episodes (Kate Winslet and Patrick Stewart) really stand out to me as really funny; though the Orlando Bloom scenes were pretty good too.

Doctor Who - Also meh. I've only been watching the Eccleston series so far, and I don't see what the big deal is. I might get some flak for saying this, but the show kind of strikes me as a UK equivalent of Power Rangers. Don't know why, that's just the kind of impression I get.

Battlestar Galactica - Only watched the miniseries so far, but it's much better than I thought it'd be. Think I'll be investing more in this, especially since so many people have praised it.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - FUCKING GENIUS. I can't lavish enough praise on this show, I'm absolutely in love with it, and haven't been this hooked on a comedy since Arrested Development. Larry David is my hero.

glaurung said:
I have been watching the first three seasons of the X-Files.

The further into the series (there are nine seasons overall), the more the quality seems to fluctuate. Some friends have told me that beyond season four it becomes an absolute borefest, but I harbor hope for it not to happen.
No, that happens after season six. The story arc after that is AWFUL, especially in seasons 8 and 9. I still think every season is worth watching though, because an awful episode/season of The X-Files is still better than most television shows.

I've been going through my Arrested Development DVDs for the third time. Currently on season two right now, and I've been watching the new season of 24 and will soon be watching the new season of Lost tomorrow. After I wrap up AD on DVD, I'll watch The Simpsons seasons 9 & 10 on DVD, then watch Battlestar Seasons 3 & 4 (haven't seen these two seasons, haven't even watched the show in over a year), and then some It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia season 1, Bones season 1, and How I Met Your Mother season 1. I'll be busy for a while.

Blader5489 said:
Curb Your Enthusiasm - FUCKING GENIUS. I can't lavish enough praise on this show, I'm absolutely in love with it, and haven't been this hooked on a comedy since Arrested Development. Larry David is my hero.

The season 2 finale is classic.

Coop

Blader5489 said:

The Shield - Pretty cool show. Started out slow, but quickly got better and better. I think the season I'm on right now though (S4) is a bit of a step down, but I trust things will start ramping up again soon.

The 5th season is the best season of the show. It's unbelievable. The show gets next over the next couple of seaons

Blader5489 said:

Season 5 is the best, with Season 7 (last season) being pretty damn good as well, so you still have more awesomeness ahead of you.
Battlestar Galactica - Only watched the miniseries so far, but it's much better than I thought it'd be. Think I'll be investing more in this, especially since so many people have praised it.
Most people think the first episode is a big step-up from the miniseries -- not me, from what I remember -- but if you liked the miniseries, you will definitely enjoy the show.
Pretty much. And the ending of Season 6 is AMAZING.

Blader

goldsoundz said:
The season 2 finale is classic.

Last episode I watched was "The Doll." So good. :lol

I think my all-time favorite Curb scene so far, though, was when some Jewish guy was badgering Larry about being a self-loathing Jew, and asked "Where is your heritage? Where is your Judaism?" And Larry starts looking around, yelling "Judaism, where are you?! Where are you Judaism?" :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Blader5489 said:

Oh, they'll be ramping up but not in a very pleasant way. Season 5 is one of the best seasons of television ever but it marks the beginning of the end.

I actually don't think someone can fully appreciate The Shield until they've seen most of the seasons and realize the scope of the show and how Shakespearean it is. It's a tragedy chronicling
the fall of the strike team
over seven seasons and the events of the pilot episode are the first nail in the coffin.

master15

Blader5489 said:
Extras - Meh. I like Ricky Gervais, and think he's pretty damn funny when doing stand-up or something like that, but the show is kind of hit or miss for me. I'm onto series 2 now, and only two episodes (Kate Winslet and Patrick Stewart) really stand out to me as really funny; though the Orlando Bloom scenes were pretty good too.

I'm suprised to hear that since I find his stand up to be generally his weakest material (Still very funny). Season 1 was right up there with the Office for mind, especially the episode with Les Dennis (I think in some cases it certainly helps to understand the history of the celebrity they are lampooning). I will say however the Christmas special felt especially forced.

Join the club. One of my favourite comedies and for good reason. The epsiodes are just so brilliant and I can watch them over and over again. Season 2 in particular is so perfectly written and one of my favourite season story arcs.

Blader5489 said:

I wasn't a big fan of Extras either, but i implore you to persevere through to the two-part Christmas special, as it's fantastic.

As for me, I'm currently watching through Roseanne with my girlfriend, and we have almost finished series 6. This series has been my favourite so far as it has all the episodes i watched as a kid when i originally got into the show. Next will be Jericho.

I'm also considering getting back into Lost, i stopped watching halfway through series 3 but it seems to be getting good again so i might catch up on that. Is it worth it?

Tamanon

Banned
I'm really enjoying Leverage, if only for the sarcasm and the Ocean's Eleven music.:lol

Plus they just mentioned World of Warcraft out of nowhere.

Memles

Charmicarmicat said:
I'm also considering getting back into Lost, i stopped watching halfway through series 3 but it seems to be getting good again so i might catch up on that. Is it worth it?

Yes. Yes it is. So very, very worth it.

effzee

I just watched Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. The first 2 seasons.

Its hilarious but they seem to be getting dumber with every episode. On top of that I do not think its a show I can watch back to back to back. I had the same feeling with Seinfeld. It was brilliant but if I watched more than say 2 episodes in a row I just start getting furious and hate the characters.

My favorite episode so far is the Abortion one.

Sybari

Neo Member
Shadowlink123 said:
I think Supernatural is the only show I am watching now.

Me too. I've kind of avoided it up until now - I tend to avoid things that people I hype up too much for me. They're all like "omg it's the best" and well... from watching only the first series, I think they're right. I find it rare for a show to be centred on so few characters (so far), and for them to be completely likable and interesting at all times. (Plus they're so damn cute!). The effects are too awesome. The last episode of the series had me completely on edge.

The only problem I have with it is that I haven't slept much at all since I started watching it :lol

Blader

Charmicarmicat said:

Second half of S3 and all of S4 are the very best of the show.

nyprimus2

Monday
Big Bang Theory (maybe my favorite show right now, until Lost starts back up at least)
How I Met Your Mother (still going strong)
Two and a Half Men (show is running out of steam but I still enjoy it)
Worst Week (very funny new show)

Tuesday
Nip/Tuck (still awesome)

Wednesday
Lost (words don't describe it)

Thursday
Kath and Kim (funny dumb humor)
My Name is Earl (more dumb humor, sometimes I skip out on this one)
The Office (tied with Big Bang right now behind Lost)
30 Rock (funny show with likable characters, up there with The Office and Big Bang and HIMYM in terms of comedies)

Friday
Friday Night Lights (usually DVR this and I've been watching season 3, I watched the 1st episode ever and vowed to get the DVD's and I never did, got to get on that)

Saturday
SNL (it's been a good season besides this past episode with Rosario Dawson where ever sketch played off her Hispanic heritage)

sscrew

Well my list is going to be pretty long, as all i do every day after work is watch tv shows. :lol

Current/Recent Shows:
LOST
Chuck
Smallville
Supernatural
Dexter
Psych
Bones
How I Met Your Mother
Burn Notice
Breaking Bad
The Mentalist
Criminal Minds
Leverage
True Blood
Entourage
Fringe
The Big Bang Theory
Prison Break
South Park
My Name Is Earl
Numb3rs
Two and a Half Men
Stargate Atlantis
Heroes

Cancelled Shows I re-watch often:
Arrested Development
Buffy
Angel
Firefly

The top list is in a rough order of preference... although to be honest the higher shows are pretty hard to put in an order. I love them all equally. I am addicted to watching tv shows and everyday after work i am watching the latest episodes of the shows in the top list... and once im done with that i tend to re-watch the shows on the bottom list, or catch up on shows which i've missed. The most recent show i've started catching up on is Criminal Minds.

effzee said:
I just watched Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. The first 2 seasons.

Its hilarious but they seem to be getting dumber with every episode. On top of that I do not think its a show I can watch back to back to back. I had the same feeling with Seinfeld. It was brilliant but if I watched more than say 2 episodes in a row I just start getting furious and hate the characters.

My favorite episode so far is the Abortion one.
They only get dumber. Season 1 is still the best season overall, and that episode is definitely one of the my favorites.

sscrew

Crap, forgot to add Weeds to the list.

Just started the first season last week (got it on Blu-ray ages ago). Waiting on Amazon to ship out the second season... i wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much.

Blader5489 said:

Season 4 is my personal favourite, so many thing worked so well for me during that season, the primary one being Glenn Close's addition to the cast. I personally think season 2 and 3 are the weakest, not bad at all, but they left a lot to be desired. The rest are varying degrees of holy shit awesome.

sscrew said:
Current/Recent Shows:

No offense but only like 4-5 of those shows are any good, with maybe a few being only decent. You watch so much yet you're missing some of the very best tv has had to offer over the past few years.

Buttchin

Burn Notice: Seasons 1 and 2...

Different show, i kind of like to think of it as if macgyver and james bond had a son michael weston would be that child.

stopping a hearing/listening device with a female massager... come on thats brilliant lol... (though macgyver would do it with a turkey bastar, paperclip and a tube sock)

Bruce campbell is funny as weston's friend and fiona is ummmm weird and borderline sociopathic... at the very least a card carrying member of the NRA.

Pysch: All the seasons recently watched plus watching the latest season

im a sucker for shawn and gus' banter back and forth. I've gotten over the oh how will he fake being psychic tomfoolery and just like the characters. Plus maggie lawson is pleasing to look at.

Monk: All the seasons recently purchased (yay for black friday deals all the season for 45 bucks) Monk as a character is ok.. this one i typically watch cause i enjoy upbeat mystery/cop shows. I watch them more for the cases and less for monk himself though every few episodes he does get me laughing for an entire episode.

(i like USA networks offerings what can i say, they are upbeat and funny instead of dark, gritty and realistic)

Scrubs: New season. mostly cause i feel like i should....

top chef: Girlfriend enjoys it, got dragged in kicking and screaming, ended up liking. i will not delve further into the shame lol (bravo realty shows tend to hook me in)

Top gear: Its amazing and if you havent watched the show ever before in your life do it. Go to finalgear.com download the torrents to get the full episodes with no commercials and the original soundtracks they are just better. JC driving a ford fiesta inside a mall while getting chased by a baddie in a stunning black corvette during one of there "sensible roadtests". IF that doesnt peak your interest nothing will. (maybe them converting a car into a space shuttle and then firing into the sky?, trying to make amphibous vehicles and attempting to cross the english channel?)

Penn and Teller BS:
I enjoy watching people get debunked on youtube and its basically just that same premise. even when i disagree with them they typically find a way to get boobs involved in any topic so you gotta like them for that.

Secret diary of a Call Girl:
me and girlfriend started watching as a joke, both ended up enjoying. Yeah i hold my head in shame

sscrew

The Storyteller said:
No offense but only like 4-5 of those shows are any good, with maybe a few being only decent. You watch so much yet you're missing some of the very best tv has had to offer over the past few years.
I enjoy watching those shows and don't really care what other people think of them though.... with all these shows airing on different days and times of the year, it makes it much easier to wait for the shows that i absolutely love. (ie. Smallville, LOST, Dexter etc. which seem to take forever whenever there is a break). Some of them i just watch because i enjoyed them at one point and don't have the heart to give them up (ie. Heroes)

I realise i'm missing out on some great shows, but whenever i finish catching up on one show, i choose another to catch up on.

KR3W

Banned
I've been watching Nip/Tuck S1-S4.

I started watching S5 last year, and I loved it. I think S4 is terrible, though. Worst season so far.

The Storyteller said:
Season 4 is my personal favourite, so many thing worked so well for me during that season, the primary one being Glenn Close's addition to the cast. I personally think season 2 and 3 are the weakest, not bad at all, but they left a lot to be desired. The rest are varying degrees of holy shit awesome.
Yeah, i'm a big fan of season 4. It was interesting to see Vic trying to hone back his corrupt methods and have a real sense of purpose. He was at his most sympathetic in this season. It seems a lot of people were turned off by Glenn Close being stunt casted, but i think she was fantastic and her seizure policy arc was strong. She was much better than Forest Whitaker, who i felt hammed it up a bit too often.

I agree on your overall view of the seasons. Season 5-7 are nonstop amazing and it has the best conclusion of any show i've ever watched.

CajoleJuice said:
Most people think the first episode is a big step-up from the miniseries -- not me, from what I remember -- but if you liked the miniseries, you will definitely enjoy the show.
I enjoyed the miniseries, but still had reservations. Watching 33 for the first time was just... wow. Absolutely amazing episode that totally sold me on the show. Still remains one of the best of the series.

AlkalineSolo

Neo Member
Breaking Bad Just finished the first season. HOLY CRAP! the best show i've seen. ties the shield actually for best show. Bryan Cranston definitely deserved that emmy he won. if you havent seen this show. go get it on itunes. its only 7 episodes, but it is seriously amazing.

Californication Really impressed with the first season so far. through the first disc and its really really funny, although a little unbelievable at times.

Lost Finally caught up on lost after starting from season 1 3 months ago. Pretty damn awesome.

Cush

The girlfriend and I just got Friday Night Lights - we should be starting that soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to finish off season four of The Office and I'm thinking of watching season four of Coupling since it's on Netflix streaming, but from what I'm hearing, maybe I should push that off?

My girlfriend has been on a huge Bones kick and I've got to say, I'm really enjoying it - great cast and interesting cases, though some of the recreation stuff they do is a bit much. We've been jumping around since we're DVRing it but the Gorgomon arc has been awesome so far.

For those watching season one of The West Wing, please post back when you watch Celestial Navigation - that episode is especially hilarious.

Season four of The Shield - I really liked it. Glenn Close was great - what's the problem? Anthony Andersen was awesome too. I'd say the biggest issue I had was that there are so many storylines going on, we don't get enough followup on character development from previous seasons. What happened to Julien being gay? What about Dutch getting in touch with his dark side? I take it from the comments of others that I have more awesomeness in store in seasons 5-7?

By the way, does anyone watch Reaper or My Boys? I've seen a couple of episodes of each and really liked both.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Cush said:
Season four of The Shield - I really liked it. Glenn Close was great - what's the problem? Anthony Andersen was awesome too. I'd say the biggest issue I had was that there are so many storylines going on, we don't get enough followup on character development from previous seasons. What happened to Julien being gay? What about Dutch getting in touch with his dark side? I take it from the comments of others that I have more awesomeness in store in seasons 5-7?

Julian gay storyline is never really brought into focus again, although it's hinted at here and there. The Dutch dark side was a one time thing and ended when he realized he'd be duped by the cuddler rapist. And seasons 5-7 are the best of the show.

smurfx

get some go again
well i watch the simpsons almost everyday on fox. right now they are playing all the good episodes (season 3-7) and i'm tuning in.

I started watching Deep Space Nine from the beginning a few months ago, I'd only ever seen bits of the show from the later seasons and I always liked what I saw. But damn these first two seasons are a bitch to get through, I'm gonna start up on it again as I left it somewhere in the middle of season 2. Hopefully I'm not gonna feel like watching it is a chore anymore, once I hit season 3.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sooperkool said:
Welcome to the club, Beezle. ;)

glad to be here. loved the first season of mad men. very impressive.

last night, watched:

x-files: "clyde bruckman's final repose."

2i1jme0.jpg

it's fairly common knowledge that this is one of the more loved x-files episodes, and with good reason. peter boyle's performance as bruckman is funny, heartwarming, with a strong undercurrent of burden. i love when he's sitting and talking about his pie. "this is real cream. not the phony stuff. i know the difference. also, this chocolate. . . very rich. you sure you won't join me?"

fantastic stuff. one of my favorite episodes, probably somewhere behind "bad blood." i'll probably watch that tonight.

The Storyteller said:
I started watching Deep Space Nine from the beginning a few months ago, I'd only ever seen bits of the show from the later seasons and I always liked what I saw. But damn these first two seasons are a bitch to get through, I'm gonna start up on it again as I left it somewhere in the middle of season 2. Hopefully I'm not gonna feel like watching it is a chore anymore, once I hit season 3.

the first two seasons are better when they're viewed straight through. regardless, all that character development pays dividends in later seasons. just enjoy getting to know everyone and stick with it.

my favorite star trek show, by far.

Rahk

I just finished watching Life On Mars US and liked it a lot. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. It ended on a cliffhanger at episode 7 but is continuing next week.

Currently watching 30 Rock S1, Arrested Development S2, The Wire S2.

Need to catch up on a lot of shows too. Dexter S3, Chuck S2, Californication S2, Fringe and The Mentalist.

So many awesome shows.

Cush said:
By the way, does anyone watch Reaper or My Boys? I've seen a couple of episodes of each and really liked both.
I finished watching Reaper a while ago and thought it was quite a good show. Looking forward to the next season.

Costanza

Banned
Cush said:
Reaper is fantastic. We have one of the producers posting on GAF, too.

I tore through the first three episodes of Friday Night Lights S1 last night. Good show so far. The acting is solid, and the coach and his family definitely anchor the show. It gets a little melodramatic sometimes, but it's believable, so it works for me. Most of it has been somewhat predictable so far, but I'm enjoying the ride.
Cush said:
I watch Reaper. It's a lot of fun and grew a lot during the first season. I forgot to mention it in my list above.

The Storyteller said:
What Beezlebozo said: it's better if they are viewed straight through.

I just finished "The West Wing" episode "In Excelsis Deo." I thought it was a very good episode.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
chud just posted some information about a batch of new fox pilots. maybe you guys might be interested in some of them. the last one sounds kind of neat.

Next Batch of Canceled Shows Picked Up at Fox

If it runs true to its history of axing promising or beloved shows, Fox is wasting no time in getting the next batch lined up. The Hollywood Reporter has a story about a collection of seven pilots that Fox has picked up. They break down like so:

The Station, a single-camera pilot from 20th and Ben Stiller's Red Hour Films, revolves around a covert CIA operative and his workmates who are embedded in a South American banana republic with a mission to install a new dictator.

The Unit meets Moon Over Parador. Kooky.

Walorsky, a single-camera pilot from 20th TV/American Work, is in the tone of the 2003 comedy "Bad Santa" and centers on a lazy ex-cop-turned-security guard patrolling a mall in Buffalo, N.Y., who is forced to grudgingly step it up after he is assigned an idiot partner.

The legacy of Paul Blart: Mall Cop is instantaneous.

Two Dollar Beer, a multicamera pilot from 20th/3 Arts, is set in Detroit and revolves around a blue-collar couple and their extended family and friends.

Sounds just like...well...everything.

Sons of Tucson, a single-camera pilot from 20th and J2TV, is channeling the spirit of Slums of Beverly Hills. It centers on a charming but misguided hustler hired by three rich young brothers to act as their "father" while their real one serves time for a white-collar crime.

Sounds like Slums of Beverly Hills.

Maggie Hill, from 20th and Imagine, is about a brilliant female surgeon who thrives despite enduring adult-onset schizophrenia. "Shark" creator Ian Biederman penned the script and is exec producing with David Nevins.

Grey's Anatomy meets A Beautiful Mind.

Human Target, from WBTV, DC Comics and McG's Wonderland, is based on the DC Comics title. It centers on Christopher Chance, a mysterious security-for-hire who assumes the identities of people in life-threatening danger, becoming the "human target" on behalf of his clients.

The Pretender meets The Equalizer.

Untitled Reincarnation Project, from WBTV, revolves around past-life investigators who use the concept of reincarnation to solve mysteries of their clients' previous lives in order to resolve their problems in the present.

Sounds interesting, sort of an X-Files meets Cold Case. Which means Fox will probably kill it very quickly. This makes a total of four comedies and three dramas. These will join already picked up pilots, Eva Adams and Boldly Going Nowhere.

No word on when the wrap party for Dollhouse is scheduled, if you believe the gloom and doom hype.

as a huge fan of the x-files, like i said, the last one has me interested. it's my contention that television NEEDS a show like the x-files: well-written supernatural mystery show with a good sense of humor and two leads with great chemistry. serialized, ideally. right now we have FRINGE, which is pretty interesting, but takes itself too seriously sometimes for its own good and lacks the cast chemistry that was crux of x-files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom