• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbowl

My wife and I:

Currently working through Mad Men season 2. Great show, best thing I know of on TV right now. Highly recommended.

We're back into Flight of the Conchords, but the first new episode didn't really do it for us.

We recently finished up Freaks and Geeks - enjoyed it for the most part. We gave up on Dexter after watching the same story for 3 or 4 episodes in a row.

I'm also working my way through Star Trek the original series (remastered). Never seen the show before, but I like it! Thinking about starting up Skins and Battlestar Gallactica

beelzebozo said:
Bradley_Whitford.jpg

"well sorry doesn't put the delicious triscuit cracker in my mouth, does it carl?"
Josh is my favorite character so far!

Ceres

Banned
beelzebozo said:
chud just posted some information about a batch of new fox pilots. maybe you guys might be interested in some of them. the last one sounds kind of neat.

Next Batch of Canceled Shows Picked Up at Fox

I don't know about the article title. All but the last one sound horrible which probably means they'll do great with the general populace and the last one will be canceled after 5 episodes.

Cush

Julian gay storyline is never really brought into focus again, although it's hinted at here and there. The Dutch dark side was a one time thing and ended when he realized he'd be duped by the cuddler rapist. And seasons 5-7 are the best of the show.

Oh, woops, I'm kind of bad remembering what happens with certain storylines. Actually, with The Shield, each time I start a season, I struggle to remember what happened in the previous season (though they do a pretty good job reminding me with the "previously on" scenes). Did the resolution to that Dutch storyline happen in season four? Can you remind me what happens?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Reaper and My Boys. Reaper looks tempting but I'm looking at what I'm actually in the middle of, and I may need to put it on the back burner. That's cool that one of the producers posts here.

I just finished "The West Wing" episode "In Excelsis Deo." I thought it was a very good episode.
Josh is my favorite character so far!

Josh rocks! I especially love the back-and-forth between him and Donna. Dax01, you're just about to Celestial Navigation, which has one of my favorite Josh storylines. (Well, I've seen the first two seasons so far.) I'm curious how you'll like it.

Looking over my DVDs and Netflix again, I'm actually in the middle of five shows - three I've seen before and two are new to me. The former are season three of The Simpsons, season two of That 70s Show, and series one of The Office (UK). I'm working through season four of The Office (US) and season two of House. The Office (US) has been pretty good so far and House is awesome - so good.

By the way, are Netflix episodes cut at all? I was watching the first episode of The Office (UK) last night and I felt like something might have been missing.

dogbowl

By the way, are Netflix episodes cut at all? I was watching the first episode of The Office (UK) last night and I felt like something might have been missing.

I doubt that they've bben cut. The original, UK Office is vastly different from the US version. Different production, style, type of humor and presentation. (and much, much, much better IMO)

For an interesting excersice, watch Ep1 of the UK series and then EP 1 of the US series. Its the same script word-for-word but they are still 2 quite different shows.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just watched the third episode of battlestar galactica. pretty interesting stuff. i kind of groaned a little when apollo had his big moment with the activist/terrorist guy, though--you know, the "and then you'll get your elections" thing. the blond female fighter pilot is a fantastic character though, and i think i could watch the whole show just to follow her.

beelzebozo said:
just watched the third episode of battlestar galactica. pretty interesting stuff. i kind of groaned a little when apollo had his big moment with the activist/terrorist guy, though--you know, the "and then you'll get your elections" thing. the blond female fighter pilot is a fantastic character though, and i think i could watch the whole show just to follow her.

The season vastly improves in the second half, and I agree about Starbuck (she's the person in my avatar!) although many don't, the opinions of her are very polarizing

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think she's awesome. and though until now i've watched the first few episodes on a netflix disc, i want to pick up the first season of it today.

i've had a lot of trouble finding CHUCK season one ANYWHERE around here :(

Currently watching Doctor Who (S3 + 4) and Torchwood. God, Torchwood is so awesome. Highly recommended.

Once i'm done with those two, I'm planning to rewatch battlestar galactica 1 - 4 1/2** and season 3 of Supernatural.

**EDIT: When are they going to air the last eps of S4?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what's the story with doctor who? i'm completely unfamiliar with it. what kind of show is it, and where should a newbie to it start if he were interested?

beelzebozo said:
what's the story with doctor who? i'm completely unfamiliar with it. what kind of show is it, and where should a newbie to it start if he were interested?

It's a British sci-fi show about an alien called the Doctor who travels through space and time with human companions using the TARDIS, a ship camouflaged to look like an old police box from the 60s. The original series run from 1960 to 1990, i think. They brought it back in 2005 as a super modern and americanized :)p) version of the original, and it is good
Torchwood is a dark and gritty spin-off of DW, which is sort of like a British version of the x-files (sort of).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
british version of the x-files, you say? that sounds amazing. is it serialized? and again, what's the best place to start if i want to get into it? are the newer series better than the old, generally speaking?

beelzebozo said:
british version of the x-files, you say? that sounds amazing. is it serialized? and again, what's the best place to start if i want to get into it? are the newer series better than the old, generally speaking?

DW has only 4 seasons along with some specials and Torchwood has only had 2 seasons. Each season consists of ~13 episodes. Both shows are serialized and their stories are interconnected (think Buffy and Angel). The best place to start is getting the first 4 seasons of the new DW (2005-2008).
Torchwood deals with a lot more adult themes than DW, such as sexuality (and homosexuality) and the existance of the after life and such, so it's not really for anyone.

Torchwood is absolutely awful in every way. It's like a cross between the X-Files and Angel, except with not a lick of quality to it and the most unlikable ensemble ever. Steer clear of it.

Doctor Who is loads light hearted, time bending fun. It's rather campy a lot of the time, but it is often quite brilliant. Particularly the Steven Moffat written episodes. My avatar is from the episode "Blink", which is definitely one of the standouts.

Spotless Mind said:
Torchwood is absolutely awful in every way. It's like a cross between the X-Files and Angel, except with not a lick of quality to it and the most unlikable ensemble ever. Steer clear of it.

NO, YOU SUCK :mad:

Like i said, Torchwood might not be for everyone. I personally like it A LOT, buy I can understand the hate.

But you are right, "Blink" is definitely one of the best eps of Doctor Who S3.

beelzebozo said:
that's from the newest doctor series with david tennant, spotless? i'll probably just start there.

NONONONO. You simply CAN'T miss christopher eccleston as the 9th doc. He is simply... fantastic! Go from the 2005 1st season. You will not regret it.

Darko

Two Judd Apatow shows.. He should go back to TV cause both were excellent.

Freaks and Geeks
FREAKS_AND_GEEKS.jpg

Undeclared

undeclared.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't like freaks and geeks. something must be wrong with me. i love apatow's other work, but i think that show is just boring and tries too hard.

Torchwood is awful, its hard to even be subjective about this, it feels like a fact.

Doctor Who is a lot of fun, definitely give it a try beezle. You could dive into the show at any time, but If your not in the mood to wade through a 25 season backlog then you should probably start with the new series which finished its fourth season last year. The show can be incredibly inconsistent though, usually at least 4-5 of the 13 episodes a season are varying degrees of suckage, with the rest being good to holy fucking crap awesome. Even the sucky episodes can be mindless fun though, so I guess it depends on your level of tolerance.

beelzebozo said:
that's from the newest doctor series with david tennant, spotless? i'll probably just start there.
I'd recommend starting with Christopher Eccleston's 2005 Season 1, but it's not really a show where it matters too much where you jump in. The seasons mostly consist of standalones and 2-parters, with a main story thread that kind of lingers and is teased throughout the season before paying off towards the end. The quality can differ drastically from episode to episode, but i find that's part of the fun.

Edit: I echo everything The Storyteller said. :p

How can you people find it in your heart to resist captain jack's pansexual charm?
jack06.jpg

Seriously, I believe you can watch the series for free from bbc.co.uk
See it for yourself before you dismiss it. (After you watch the first 2 seasons of Doctor Who of course, or else it won't make much sence.)

donkeymonkey said:
How can you people find it in your heart to resist captain jack's pansexual charm?
Because Barrowman is a TERRIBLE actor and he possesses none of the charisma needed to portray a character like Jack as intended? :p

I watched the whole series and it is really only worth watching for the trainwreck factor. I won't begrudge you your enjoyment, but honestly, other shows do what it tries to so much better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Currently watching

- House - probably my favourite show of the moment.

- CSI:NY just started here in the UK so watching that - don't watch any other CSIs but love this one. And it has the best theme tune on TV (did they bring the proper version back? Last season they messed it up I seem to remember)

- 24. Got into this with season 6. Hated it. Currently up to hour 4 in the UK and still don't like it. Will give it a few more episodes before abandoning it. Its just so badly put together and written. Just seems so desparate.

- Lost. Well not starting until Sunday in the UK, but love it anyway.

- scrubs. Not sure if I'll stop after Zach Braff leaves, but its fun to watch anyway.

- chuck. loved season 1. Haven't started season 2 yet. Its just so light on its feet you can't help but like it.

- BSG. Nice and dark. Less sci-fi more one big therapy session.

previous faves:

- IT Crowd. Graham Linehan can do no wrong. Loved this season, made my wife 'the internet' for Christmas :). Also see Father Ted and Black Books.

- Spaced. Just fantastic.

- West Wing. Quality television from start to finish. Yes it was affected when Sorkin left, but even the poor episodes were still head and shoulders above most TV.

- Twin Peaks. I seem to be the only one that didn't care who killed Laura Palmer. I was too busy basking in the gorgeous characterisation.

- Stargate (both). Can't believe there is no more O'Neill or Rodney. And still can't imagine Universe working out. Anyway, most of it is infinitely rewatchable, and sky put it on all the time.

Need to check out:

- Curb your enthusiasm. Watched the first episode but its one of those shows that doesn't get properly scheduled in the UK so I end up missing it. Plus I know my wife would hate it so that takes more effort to watch.

- Arrested Development. See above.

- Flight of the Conchords. Same. If they don't get decent coverage in the UK I find it difficult to get traction.

- The Wire. Borrowed season 1 from a friend so will try it out. He did warn me that the first few episodes are a little dry and need persevering with.

- Mighty Boosh. Watched one episode from season 1 set in a zoo and it was meh. Then saw a youtube clip from season 2/3 (flying carpet?) which was fucking hilarious. So I need to check this out.

- Firefly. I bought this from itunes and still haven't gotten around to watching it. really liked serenity though and the loss of the Stargates means I have a scifi void to fill.

- Star Trek. Curious about enterprise and DS9. Liked NG.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think i'd like HOUSE more if it seemed there were real lasting consequences episode to episode. it seems really formulaic and serialized, even if hugh laurie is great in the role. there are some shows that thrive on being serialized--x-files was a hybrid, but it needed to be MORE serialized--but HOUSE seems like it would be quite a bit better if it dedicated itself to long, season-length arcs.

Blader

beelzebozo said:
i think i'd like HOUSE more if it seemed there were real lasting consequences episode to episode. it seems really formulaic and serialized, even if hugh laurie is great in the role. there are some shows that thrive on being serialized--x-files was a hybrid, but it needed to be MORE serialized--but HOUSE seems like it would be quite a bit better if it dedicated itself to long, season-length arcs.

Uh...it does. I guess they aren't as noticeable because they're more character-driven than plot-driven, but House has always been more about the doctors than the actual cases.

Darko said:
Two Judd Apatow shows.. He should go back to TV cause both were excellent.
Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared
I love both of those shows. They're such a good high school / college combo that ring very true to real life. Great casting in both, as well.
mrklaw said:
- chuck. loved season 1. Haven't started season 2 yet. Its just so light on its feet you can't help but like it.
S2 really ups the ante for that show. You're going to enjoy it. :D
- The Wire. Borrowed season 1 from a friend so will try it out. He did warn me that the first few episodes are a little dry and need persevering with.
That's a good attitude going in. It takes a while to get some momentum and a lot of people have trouble with the language at first. Stick with it and it'll pay off.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Blader5489 said:
Uh...it does. I guess they aren't as noticeable because they're more character-driven than plot-driven, but House has always been more about the doctors than the actual cases.

really? my impression from the five or six episodes i watched is that it's got the same problem as a show like monk or csi: even though the details may vary, the basic structure of the show is the same. patient with illness that is nearly impossible to diagnose comes in, the other doctors argue with house about his unorthodox methods, he makes snide comments, but ultimately it's his surly nature and attention to detail that always allows him to hunt out the clues and make the right diagnosis. in monk, it's that his neuroses allow him to collect information at a freakish level of detail, and his comic bumbling antics are both his flaw and his greatest asset.

i don't know. maybe i'm just worn out on formulaic television. it's heartening to hear they do try to have season-long story arcs, though, as it's the sign of a more mature tv show that has some faith in its audience's ability to process information week-to-week.

The Storyteller said:
Torchwood is awful, its hard to even be subjective about this, it feels like a fact.

This.
The second series of Torchwood is better, but the first series ...wow, painful... The cliffhanger was the only decent thing.

Definitely start with the first new Doctor Who season with Ecclescake.

Blader

beelzebozo said:
really? my impression from the five or six episodes i watched is that it's got the same problem as a show like monk or csi: even though the details may vary, the basic structure of the show is the same. patient with illness that is nearly impossible to diagnose comes in, the other doctors argue with house about his unorthodox methods, he makes snide comments, but ultimately it's his surly nature and attention to detail that always allows him to hunt out the clues and make the right diagnosis. in monk, it's that his neuroses allow him to collect information at a freakish level of detail, and his comic bumbling antics are both his flaw and his greatest asset.

i don't know. maybe i'm just worn out on formulaic television. it's heartening to hear they do try to have season-long story arcs, though, as it's the sign of a more mature tv show that has some faith in its audience's ability to process information week-to-week.

Yeah, the actual cases are formulaic, but the more serialized stuff comes with the doctors. The show is more about character development than plot development.

Working through "Lock, Stock..." right now. Pretty good show, though it's easily the most "adult" show I've ever seen. So this is what TV in Britain is like, eh? nice.

I know I'm 9 years late.

Blader

beelzebozo said:
i feel you. i'll give it another chance eventually and post back here.

Have you only watched S1? Barring the second-to-last episode, S1 is definitely the worst. The show becomes a lot better and more serialized with each season.

Kastro

Banned
Watching Season 2 of Friday Night Lights.. so fucking good. I didn't even find the subplot in Mexico nearly as bad as people warned me about.

WWTRD

gdt

Totally agree with the serialization of House. Even though every week we get a new case (usually, sometimes a case stays for 2 or 3 episodes) the show really is about the doctors and they grow and connect and have lasting interactions through the series.

Costanza once posted that House is really about the long term diagnosis and treatment of House as a person. I really like and agree with that notion.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Cush said:
Oh, woops, I'm kind of bad remembering what happens with certain storylines. Actually, with The Shield, each time I start a season, I struggle to remember what happened in the previous season (though they do a pretty good job reminding me with the "previously on" scenes). Did the resolution to that Dutch storyline happen in season four? Can you remind me what happens?

At the end of their long interrogation the cuddler rapist tells Dutch that the reason he kills can be explained by the look in a things eyes right as they die. So Dutch, in his frustration at not being able to get in the head of this serial killer, strangles a stray cat and when it dies he realizes the killer just bullshitted him and he had ate it up. That was pretty much it, the cat strangulation was the first and the last scene involving dark Dutch.

beelzebobo said:
as a huge fan of the x-files, like i said, the last one has me interested. it's my contention that television NEEDS a show like the x-files: well-written supernatural mystery show with a good sense of humor and two leads with great chemistry. serialized, ideally. right now we have FRINGE, which is pretty interesting, but takes itself too seriously sometimes for its own good and lacks the cast chemistry that was crux of x-files.

Nah, television needs the X-Files itself. I think if David and Gillian signed up for a relaunch of the show and they had the mythology focus on 2012, it could work. I love the X-Files dearly but I've always felt like it was unfinished. Part of that is probably due to the ragged way the show ended, I think there is plenty of story left to tell with Mulder and Scully though. I know it'll never happen but man I'd love it if it did. I think it would actually pull down pretty great ratings as well, regardless of whatever the movie did at the box office.

Costanza

Banned
I just started watching The Office UK off of Netflix streaming. The first episode was absolutely terrible, but the second was really good.

CiSTM

Banned
Slowly trying to get through second season of Xena with my GF. But Xena has nothing against Kevin "Fucking Hercules"Sorbo... Well except nice tits.
29dgw3d.jpg

Kastro

Banned
Costanza said:
I just started watching The Office UK off of Netflix streaming. The first episode was absolutely terrible, but the second was really good.

let me guess.. you saw the US version first right?

Cush said:
Josh rocks! I especially love the back-and-forth between him and Donna. Dax01, you're just about to Celestial Navigation, which has one of my favorite Josh storylines. (Well, I've seen the first two seasons so far.) I'm curious how you'll like it.
It's just "Dax" if you don't mind, and that episode is two episodes away. I'll post impressions.
mrklaw said:
Unless you are a completionist, skip Enterprise (it's bad), and jump right into DS9. If you want more after that, move on to Voyager. Voyager isn't as good as DS9 or TNG, but it is certainly way better than Enterprise.

Ceres

Banned
Costanza said:

So I take it you really hate the first episode of the US version?

CiSTM

Banned
mrklaw said:

If you wan't more NG then go for Voyager. If you wan't something deeper with coherent story arc then go for DS9. Enterprise is garbage so skip it.

Costanza

Banned
Ceres said:
So I take it you really hate the first episode of the US version?
Ricky Gervais's accent ruined the first episode for me. It just sounded like he was mumbling his way through the lines and I couldn't understand shit (it was fine for all the other characters)

I guess I've either gotten used to it or he "fixed" it after the pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom