• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so is chuck a comedy? or an action show? i've heard things here and there about it, but if someone could fill in the blanks for me and let me know what to expect i'd be much appreciative.

danootz

Californication
I put it off because I was never a big Duchovny fan but boy, I was missing out. Just finished the first season. So good. So many laugh out loud moments. Quick witted and the characters are all so human.

Another show I put off. At certain moments the action is great but often times I find it more frustrating. They keep the pressure of suspenseful moments going too long. You need to have a breather every once in a while. And holy crap, could they make Kim make more stupid decisions? Some of the plot developments get ridiculous.

Breaking Bad
I think I'd choose this show as the best I've seen in a while. When is the 2nd season coming??????!!

Solo

beelzebozo said:
so is chuck a comedy? or an action show? i've heard things here and there about it, but if someone could fill in the blanks for me and let me know what to expect i'd be much appreciative.

Chuck is 100% distilled win. Its at times an action show, at times dramatic, and always hilarious. Its an upbeat, fast-moving, youll-have-a-smile-on-your-face-the-whole-episode show. On top of that, it has so much goodness in terms of 80's references, geek-dom references, awesome music, and so on. Then there is the amazing cast, filled with extremely talented and extremely good looking people (Yvonne *drool*). The writing really brings it all together, and most Chuck fans will tell you that its the most consistent show on television, and keeps getting better and better. Its really a show in its prime right now, all the cylinders are firing. I only have 3 *must see* shows right now - Chuck, Dexter, and Lost - and Chuck holds priority over those two.

Costanza

Banned
Solo said:
Chuck is 100% distilled win. Its at times an action show, at times dramatic, and always hilarious. Its an upbeat, fast-moving, youll-have-a-smile-on-your-face-the-whole-episode show. On top of that, it has so much goodness in terms of 80's references, geek-dom references, awesome music, and so on. Then there is the amazing cast, filled with extremely talented and extremely good looking people (Yvonne *drool*). The writing really brings it all together, and most Chuck fans will tell you that its the most consistent show on television, and keeps getting better and better. Its really a show in its prime right now, all the cylinders are firing. I only have 3 *must see* shows right now - Chuck, Dexter, and Lost - and Chuck holds priority over those two.
:D

Solo

I would say if you're not hooked by about the third episode, then its not for you. I believe that was about when I fell fully in love with it. Definitely give it a go! Im 99.9% certain you wont regret it.

EDIT: the first few episodes of S1 are a bit more standalone-ish, but they really start building an overarching mythology later in the season, and especially in S2.

I was going to write something up, but Solo said it better than I can. Here's a bit about Chuck from a couple 2008 top 10 lists.
Chicago Tribune said:
“Chuck,” NBC: Week in and week out, this delightful and well-crafted spy dramedy brings a smile to my face. The “retail clerk as secret spy” premise allows for lots of zingy action, but it’s the silly antics of Chuck’s friends at the Buy More electronics store that greatly increases the delight quotient. Still, without the sweet, smart sincerity that Zachary Levi brings to the title role, the show would just be (highly enjoyable) fluff. As it is, his mutual crush on his spy handler, Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski), gives “Chuck” unexpected and welcome dramatic heft.
IGN said:
Season 1 was cut short thanks to the writers' strike, but Season 2 found Chuck as fun and clever as ever. Detractors might disparage that the show can be a bit formulaic, and it's obviously not very weighty, but that's kind of the point – because what's important is that this is one of the most purely entertaining series on television these days. A talented ensemble cast, including Zachary Levi, Yvonne Strahovski and Adam Baldwin, work together incredibly well, telling fast-paced and funny stories. Meanwhile, while it might not be Romeo & Juliet, there's still a surprising amount of pathos to the Chuck/Sarah relationship and all the obstacles placed in front of it. Filled with geek-friendly references and jokes and great guest stars like Gary Cole and Melinda Clarke, Chuck offers a highly enjoyable hour of TV each week, filled with humor, sex appeal and action. What's not to like?
Definitely give the show a few episodes to get going in S1. For me it didn't really hit full stride until the middle of the first season. The front end of S1 is good, and then it gets awesome by the middle. S2 is gold.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wait, Chuck has Buster? I might consider watching it.

My friend BJ got me into Battlestar Gattaca. I never ever ever ever thought I would get into it but he told me what happened in the last couple of episodes and then I was like, "That is a good science fiction concept" and sure enough, it is a fucking well made science fiction drama. I am so sad that I am probably not going to get any work done just so I can finish watching this show.

Regular shows that are still on that I watch that is still in season: Countdown with Keith Olbermann, the Office, 30 Rock, Colbear Report, and the Daily Show.

Off-season: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Breaking Bad.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd heard some mention of chuck on the /filmcast (memles may have mentioned it? not sure), and i was curious, but someone was sort of a downer on it, saying it was sort of like alias but not as good.

and i didn't like alias.

but i'm definitely on board to give it a chance. don't take my not having watched it as a sign that i was ever skeptical, per se; i'm just perpetually late to the party on great television and always playing catch up.

Solo

Memles is a big Chuck fan, beezlebozo! I never watched Alias, but from what I did see of it, Chuck is nothing like it at all.

Ceres

Banned
Solo said:
Memles is a big Chuck fan, beezlebozo! I never watched Alias, but from what I did see of it, Chuck is nothing like it at all.

Having seen Alias (and liking it), it is absolutely nothing like Alias. I know the basis for the analogy but it's about as accurate as saying Chuck is like Venture Bros because both involve someone playing the role of a bodyguard.

Well shit, now I have to watch Chuck too, since Speed Racer only confirmed that I my opinions coincide with Solo's an unhealthy amount.

Solo

Remember how I had NO confidence that you'd like SR, Juice, and you ended up loving it? Well, I'm VERY confident you'd love Chuck.

Well, I was just thinking the other day that a certain program on my computer was not being utilized...now it has a purpose to serve.

Ceres

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Well, I was just thinking the other day that a certain program on my computer was not being utilized...now it has a purpose to serve.

Once you get to season 2, watch it on Hulu so it gets hits. :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm kinda pumped. i love discovering great new television. something magical about that feeling of finishing the first episode of a show and realizing you have another ten-to-twenty to scope out.

Solo

Oh man, you guys are in for a treat. I cant wait until you experience some of the Nerd Herd antics. Jeff and Lester especially have me rolling with laughter pretty much every episode.

Current viewing:
Chuck S2 - my favorite show right now. More people should give it a chance
Damages S2 - hasn't quite hit the highs of S1, but it's still an enjoyable thriller
BSG S4.5 - finishing off a great sci-fi show
Lost S5 - great popcorn entertainment and water cooler fodder
30Rock / Office - can't miss the Thursday night laughs

Coming up:
Dollhouse S1 - I have a bad feeling about this, but I'll check out the first few
Kings S1 - I'm intrigued by the premise and Ian McShane is awesome
Breaking Bad S2 - so excited to have this show back on in March

Older stuff:
Dexter S3 - been warned that it doesn't live up to the first two, but I'll check it out
Weeds S4 - I'll catch up with this at some point
FNL S1 - never watched it, but it's come highly recommended from friends
Mad Men S2 - still have this saved up on TiVo

Memles

As Solo says, I AM a big fan of Chuck, and the Alias references were only positive: while it is true that some of the /Filmcast folks were down on the show at first, I know at least Devindra has come around to the show's charm, and I have never not been on board.

The Alias comparison is all about its balance between the personal and the professional: its missions are themselves entertaining, and the comic antics themselves enjoyable, but there is a real heart to these characters that (especially for Chuck as a lead) make for a much more engaging cast dynamic. The show has some of the best casting on television, and every week surprises me more and more with its ingenuity.

Really looking forward to its return, even if it will make my Mondays even more ridiculously crowded.

Older stuff:
Dexter S3 - been warned that it doesn't live up to the first two, but I'll check it out
Weeds S4 - I'll catch up with this at some point
Mad Men S2 - still have this saved up on TiVo

Good attitude going into Dexter, no need to RUSH on Weeds even if I did prefer it to Season 3, you are in for a treat with Mad Men's second season presuming you enjoyed the first, and HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU NEED SEEN FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS YET?! Be prepared to be caught up to the end of season three by the time it finishes airing on NBC, it's that damn good.

Solo

Cornballer said:
Older stuff:

I can chime in on these two, being a viewer of each since the beginning. I personally felt S3 of Dexter was better than S2. Much more fleshed out, and better acted/conceived villain. Jimmy Smits really steals the show. As for FNL, S1 is near flawless. Its so genuine, down to earth, and at times incredibly uplifting or heartbreaking. I thought S2 was a major downward slide, and I havent seen S3 yet. But S1 is one of the best blind-buys a person could make.

I've been wanting to get into Chuck for a while. Tricia Helfer's appearance makes me want to watch it right now!! Was gonna wait for the dvd, but it hasn't been released here yet. I might watch it through other methods.

beelzebozo said:
i'm kinda pumped. i love discovering great new television. something magical about that feeling of finishing the first episode of a show and realizing you have another ten-to-twenty to scope out.
*cough* Friday Night Lights *cough*

Solo

If beelzebozo, Juice, and Spotless get into the GAF Chuck crew, I would have to blast a song of celebration from my Zune.

....just kidding, I have an i-pod.

:D

All right, I'll bump FNL up to the top of the list. I think I can stream it through Netflix. Dexter will be after that. I have on demand free Showtime for the next month, so I need to finish watching it before then or else I have to wait on the dvds

Andy Barker PI

I bought all 6 episodes off of Amazon for my video player. Such a shame it got cancelled so early. The affair episode is still my favorite

If I knew he was coming into a office I would dress up alittle, and I wasn't the only one

...but he was smelly...

Those were pheromones Andy!

The Dresden Files

A cancelled sci-fi channel show. Its based on some books I've never read (good?) I've been renting the DVDs from my local blockbuster for 99¢ each. He's a wizard and he helps the police - pretty much sums up the show right there. I'm really liking it so far, up to episode 7. Dresden is getting alittle too kind/generous for my tastes though. Wish he had a little more "jerk" in him like the first few episodes. Also if nothing evolves between him and the detective I will be pissed

master15

judge-judy.jpg

I don't know why, but the last two weeks I have been watching a shitload of Judge Judy. Maybe it's her sharp tongue, or I just like seeing clueless idiots caught in the act of lying. All I can say is I am addicted :(

danootz

Coming up:
Dollhouse S1 - I have a bad feeling about this, but I'll check out the first few
Kings S1 - I'm intrigued by the premise and Ian McShane is awesome
Breaking Bad S2 - so excited to have this show back on in March

YES! Breaking Bad is back?! Psyched now.

Oh yeah, I always watched the first season of Super Jail last week. So good. So much like Liquid Television stuff.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Spotless Mind said:
*cough* Friday Night Lights *cough*

wasn't wild about the first three episodes i streamed on netflix. . . don't see the genius (yet?). is it one of those "takes some time to sink in" things?

beelzebozo said:
wasn't wild about the first three episodes i streamed on netflix. . . don't see the genius (yet?). is it one of those "takes some time to sink in" things?
Most definitely. It doesn't come out of the gates screaming "must watch!". It's more subtle, realistic and slow building. The character development and interactions are an absolute delight the more you watch.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thanks guys. this thread is already bearing fruit! i'm popping out at lunch tomorrow to grab chuck and f.n.l. seasons.

Costanza

Banned
beelzebozo said:
thanks guys. this thread is already bearing fruit! i'm popping out at lunch tomorrow to grab chuck and f.n.l. seasons.
I'm pretty sure Chuck's S1 DVD is on sale for $14.99 at Target this week.

Solo

beelzebozo said:

You are a good man, and these shows shall reward you!

Well, I won't be starting Chuck immediately, as I need to finish watching Breaking Bad (the first two episodes were great), and I also have Freaks and Geeks to watch. But then Chuck, for sure!

Mifune

Mehmber
Flight of the Conchords - Took advantage of the Best Buy half-off sale around the holidays. Only two episodes in, but I like it a lot. I'm normally not a "funny band" kind of person, but it's hard not to like these dudes.

The West Wing - Slooowly making my way through the first season. It's brilliant and exhausting and, looking at the long road ahead of me, intimidating as well.

Firefly - I've been on the last disc of this show for what seems like forever. Loved it at first but some of the cutesiness started to grate. "Janestown" is one of the most embarrassing hours of television I've watched in a while. Then you have the Whedon-penned/directed eps which are great. Incredibly uneven.

30 Rock - Just made it to the end of the first season. Love.

I've gotta check out Chuck based on all the praise in this thread. And Mad Men and BSG and the list goes on.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
last episode of season one of MAD MEN! the show's certainly taken an interesting turn. not sure if i like where it's going or not.

Memles

beelzebozo said:
last episode of season one of MAD MEN! the show's certainly taken an interesting turn. not sure if i like where it's going or not.

You will like where it's going.

Recently finished Mad Men Season 1.

The first episode almost gave up on it. Decided to give it a bit more time like I did with The Wire. Gave me the same feeling - Fantastic show!

Don Draper is interesting, cant wait to see where Season 2 goes. Go Peggy!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rabid Wolverine said:
Go Peggy!

maybe it's because i was once overweight and took it off, but peggy's transformation over the first season of this show is just disgusting to me. again, maybe a sign of great writing: as much as i love her as a character, i simultaneously find myself not respecting her inability to take care of herself physically.

beelzebozo said:
maybe it's because i was once overweight and took it off, but peggy's transformation over the first season of this show is just disgusting to me. again, maybe a sign of great writing: as much as i love her as a character, i simultaneously find myself not respecting her inability to take care of herself physically.

As mentioned watch the Season Finale :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my god, i'm such an idiot :lol

of COURSE.

man, don's last ad pitch of the first season is beautifully written. probably my favorite moment of the show thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom