• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Jay Sosa said:
Season 2 was a bit boring and his wife almost made me stop watching the show, so imho it get's a lot better. It also has one of the greatest episodes in TV history.

Are we talking about the Season 3 finale? I'm just judging by tv.com ratings here

AusQB

Just finished Lost a few days ago. I'm so late to the party that the house in which the party took place now has new owners.

I started it earlier this year while in the US and finished season four, but then had to leave. So I ordered the Blu Ray complete collection a week ago.

While I'm waiting for Big Bang Theory and Castle to resume, I haven't really watched much else, besides the pilot of Breaking Bad.

AwesomeSauce said:
Also if you ever get the chance, watch Terriers. One of the best shows ive ever seen and it still pains me deeply that it was cancelled after 1 season :_(

My favourite 'one and done' ever. I keep recommending it to people, and everybody who actually watches it loves it, but so many are put off by the fact it was cancelled, believing that to be a bad sign about its quality (these are the same people who adore Arrested Development and Party Down, and hate many of the most 'successful' shows on TV!)

The chemistry between all the characters was outstanding, the overall arc was intense and thrilling, the writing was witty and compelling at the same time, and the theme tune was an instant classic. I genuinely can't believe FX didn't give it more time given how much they owe Shawn Ryan for their current profile in original dramas.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
omgkitty said:
I also started watching Justified this week. I am almost done with season 1. I liked the first episode, but it got a little slow after that, but there have been a few good episodes. TBH, I wouldn't have kept going if I didn't have it on blu-ray. I am still not sure how I feel about the show yet. There are way too many people on the show and he just throws around names like they're nothing. Makes it hard to keep up. The main character also just seems to randomly figure things out half-way through the episode, usually off something somebody says randomly. I don't know....is it worth watching season 2? There are parts I really enjoy, and Olyphant is a very good actor, but some of the episodes are just straight up boring.

Which episode are you on? I'm currently going through Justified as well (just finished season 1) and I had similar feelings about the first...half...of season 1. The pilot was good, but the next few episodes were lacking. If it doesn't improve by around episode 7 or 8, it might not be for you. It does get much better though.

omgkitty

RatskyWatsky said:
Which episode are you on? I'm currently going through Justified as well (just finished season 1) and I had similar feelings about the first...half...of season 1. The pilot was good, but the next few episodes were lacking. If it doesn't improve by around episode 7 or 8, it might not be for you. It does get much better though.

That's right about where I am. I find the overall story of the show as interesting, it's just that some of the episodes are a little weak. I don't know...maybe I am just being weird. I went to wikipedia and looked at the episode synopsis' for the ones I have seen and I like a lot more than I remember haha....has anyone else noticed there are 2 True Blood actors who were on the show? The
judge who wears speedo's was Eddie (the gay vampire) from season 1 and the ex-wife of the bank robber where they dig up the floor boards in random houses plays Pam, Eric's assistant.
Just thought that was interesting, especially seeing as I just shot through 3 seasons recently. Also, the actress who plays Ava is GORGEOUS.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Someone console me, I decided to like Breaking Bad on Facebook and the pricks posted some Season 4 wallpaper on my news feed with a massive spoiler in it :( Don't want to elaborate too much in case I might've been mistaken and someone proves me right :( DAMMIT. Everything ever has always been spoiled for me.

I think they were wearing orange jumpsuits - only in Season 2 so now I know how the amazing Season 3 ending goes down :'(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Justified Season 2 episode 4:

Great intro with the Bennett family picnic thing. I like that Raylan gave the kids there "Justice is coming" coins. lol Can't wait to find out how Dickie got his limp. It seems to have something to do with the Bennett/Givens family history...I wonder what happened exactly?

An episode that finally goes more in depth with Rachel! Good stuff. The stuff with the Furby was strangely heartbreaking. At the end, when it got shot and was crying out in Chinese, was...hilariously sad.

The magician guy was crazy. His line about not being able to do magic anymore was great.

Great episode.

Episode 5:

The return of Dewy Crowe. Every time he shows up, I assume it's his last episode. How does he keep staying alive?

Great stuff with Boyd. The use of the cell phone as an eavesdropping tool was really clever. Ava not finding the his note immediately seemed a little tense-for-tense-sake. It was too obvious. The rest of the stuff was good. Not only is Boyd great at planning well in advance, he's also great at winging it.

Great stuff with the Bennetts again. Mags is just totally cold and matter-of-fact. She had no qualms about smashing her begging son's fingers. What are they up to though? They keep hinting at something bigger, but are always so vague.

The final scene with the little girl selling weed was good too. I hope they don't save the Raylan cellphone thing for the finale though. Calling him at the last minute sort of thing. That would be cliche.

Another great episode.

Episode 6:

Very tense opening scene with Boyd, Ava and the ATF agents.

Stupid Winona. And of course as she's leaving the bank to return the stolen bill, there's a robbery. Really?

Other than that...I liked the scene at the end with the old guy and Art.

Just an OK episode.

Episode 7:

They're really going to make this stolen money thing into something bigger? "I forgot the corner was ripped, sry! O ya I stole the entire bag 2 lolz!" They form a plan to try and put the--now found--bill back into the vault, but of course things go awry. The scene where the judge is trying to make Winona give the bag of money to the assistant was pretty awful. Raylan offers to take it, BUT! he's suddenly needed in Art's office! The following scenes where the guy in a bomb suit is juuuust about to open the bag but he gets the order to drop everything was...just so contrived. Everything regarding the mission to return the stolen money felt a bit contrived. At the end, the money is returned, but now Art is on to them, or soon will be. Hopefully their handling of the rest of this plot line is better than what we've gotten so far.

Boyd getting a new job as a security guy is very interesting. At first it seems as if he's just a bodyguard but then, at the end, it seems like the red headed woman he works for wants him to do...other things. They're being very vague about what's happening here though. About what exactly happened with the boulder killing the guy and his people suing the mining company. There's something about clean coal. The Bennetts, who have been absent for the last two episodes, are involved somehow. Just tell us what's happening already.

Overall it was a good episode. And while some of the scenes/plot felt a bit contrived, it was very tense.

omgkitty said:
....has anyone else noticed there are 2 True Blood actors who were on the show? The
judge who wears speedo's was Eddie (the gay vampire) from season 1 and the ex-wife of the bank robber where they dig up the floor boards in random houses plays Pam, Eric's assistant.
Just thought that was interesting, especially seeing as I just shot through 3 seasons recently. Also, the actress who plays Ava is GORGEOUS.

Yeah, there are also a lot of people from Lost and Deadwood. Ava is really hot. Much hotter than Winona.

Blader

Just finished burning through S1 and 2 of Parks and Recreation on Netflix. What a fucking great show, it reminds me so much of the brilliance of The Office S2 and 3. Excellent cast, plus the entire background community they've managed to build. And most of all, Andy/April scenes are just heartmelting-ly good.

Gonna start my Hulu Plus trial soon so I can start streaming S3.

Just finished Season 2 of X-Files and started on season 3. End of Season 2 and beginning of season 3 was really good. Overall, I thought season 2 was great and can't wait to get into more.

Zeliard

CrazyDude said:
Finished Rome, I am sad that it only got two seasons.

Yep, really could have used a lot more. I think HBO ultimately thought it was too costly so they scrapped it. Truly a shame. The Mark Antony & Cleopatra stuff in particular took a serious hurting due to those extreme time constraints.

I've personally been on a big sword & sandal'ish kick recently. Went through Rome, then Spartacus and its prequel season, and just recently ran through Game of Thrones. All three shows in less than a month. And I still want more, haha.

Edit: I also have to mention that it's amusing seeing all the reactions to the nudity and gore in Game of Thrones. After going through Spartacus, I'm as desensitized to that stuff on TV as I'll ever be. Game of Thrones doesn't even approach it.

I've been watching Reaper and Extras.

I liked the first two episodes of Reaper, but I'm concerned that it's going to be very formulaic like House ended up being. I really, really hope the show doesn't boil down to the kid juggling a crappy job, a crush, and his friends while sending a soul back to Hell every episode.

Extras is brilliant and it's probably one of the best comedies created in the last decade. Gervais' spectrum of comedy never ceases to amaze me. Not above a fart joke and not beneath a witty one liner.

jey_16

Banned
Finished Rome season 1 in a week and loved it. I actually kind of like that it's not focused on action but rather the drama, after one episode of s2, I already miss
Caesar

Finished watching Fringe Season 1 and 2. Damn was I right to stick with this show. Season 1 was a little rough at the beginning, but after a certain point I really got hooked. The characters really started to grow on me as well. John Noble was amazing as Walter Bishop. Sucks I have to wait till September to get the Season 3 Blurays.

I did get something spoiled early on though, which really pissed me off.
I went to IGN to see a game review, and there on the top of the page was this huge banner saying, "What lies in store for Fringe?" And I immediately noticed there were two Walters in the picture. I was half way through season 1 when I saw this too. Fucking spoilers.

Fringe is probably the best show on network television right now. I appreciate that they tried to replicate what The X Files did with Monster of the Week episodes and an overall mythology, but what worked for The X Files sadly worked against Fringe. It's interesting to imagine how ratings would be if Fringe was either all mythology episodes or all Monster of the Week type episodes. I never felt that Olivia or Peter were interesting enough characters for the show runners to alternate between the two types of episods like Mulder or Scully were.

~Kinggi~

Banned
eternaLightness said:
Just finished Season 2 of X-Files and started on season 3. End of Season 2 and beginning of season 3 was really good. Overall, I thought season 2 was great and can't wait to get into more.
Yes, YES. Are you fapping to the Duchovny?

<- he demands you fap.

Raistlin

Has anyone been watching Love Bites on NBC? I had been DVR'ing it since the pilot but didn't start watching the recordings until last week.

I must say, it's pretty funny and I dig the structure - 3 mini 'episodes' per week ... a set of loosely related characters going about their lives with the occasional interaction ... lots of cameos

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Blader5489 said:
Just finished burning through S1 and 2 of Parks and Recreation on Netflix. What a fucking great show, it reminds me so much of the brilliance of The Office S2 and 3. Excellent cast, plus the entire background community they've managed to build. And most of all, Andy/April scenes are just heartmelting-ly good.

Gonna start my Hulu Plus trial soon so I can start streaming S3.

I Love Parks and Recreation so much!

Enjoy S3 it was amazingly awesome and IMO was even funnier than the 2nd season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The rest of Justified season 2:

Episode 8 was good. The church meeting scene was really great. Raylan, Boyd and Mags all got great speeches. WTF @ the creature in the bag. It sounded scary, and it looked like Coover and Dickie were going to stick Boyd's head in there. Seriously, one of the most cringe inducing scenes of the series. Thank goodness Ava came to the rescue.

Episode 9: The Bennett whoop-dee-doo was great. From the tense meeting of Mags, Boyd and Carol, to the gleeful dance of Boyd and Ava. Everything was great. Thank goodness they didn't save the phone call thing for the finale. Coover is crazy and I thought he killed Dickie at first. Too bad he didn't. The whole scene where Raylan is struggling with Coover over the mine shaft was really well done. It was a relief when Raylan shot him.

Episode 10: What a great opening scene between Art and Raylan. Followed by a great scene between Mags and Helen. Johnny returns, yes! The shootout at the end was pretty cool, too bad Winona wasn't killed.

Episode 11: Poor Rachel, had to stay with Gary and Winona overnight. And it turns out Gary put a hit on Winona in order to collect the insurance money? Whatever dude. They really belong together. Belong off the show, that is. The scene between Ava and Helen was great. There was a certain finality to it somehow...Holy shit. No. They killed off Aunt Helen.

Episode 12: Incredible opening sequence with the slow mo and muted audio. The funeral was so sad. Goodness. The scene where Raylan is seemingly going to execute Dickie in the moonlit forest was great. His slobbering plea was really sad, and you almost wanted Raylan to spare him. I'm not particularly a fan of Jeremy Davies, but he really did a good job here.

Episode 13: The parley (parsley? parsnip?) scene with Mags and Boyd was really great. I totally guessed Johnny's house blowing up, though not when it did. I thought it would blow up when he was first going inside. Ava doesn't seem to have much of a problem with Boyd's criminal activity, aside from hookers. It's no surprise, given that she never mentioned having problems (or did she?) with her dead husband's dealings. Her getting shot blows, and I hope she isn't dead, but sooner or later, with the way she carried around that shotgun, I figured she would take a bullet.

Winona is pregnant. Great. So the scene in episode 2, where Raylan is rubbing her stomach was a bit of foreshadowing on the writers part. Not sure how I feel about that, other than wanting Winona to die in childbirth. Hopefully they don't throw some stupid twist in, like it being Gary's baby. The scene where she begs Raylan not to go back to Harlan was good.

I didn't ever expect Dickie to become the destructive force he became. Shooting Ava, killing his two recruits, killing Helen, etc. I didn't really think he was capable of those things. The baseball/pinata scene with Raylan was great. And that was the final scene of the season for Boyd. Interesting. Raylan showing up at the Bennett's house, which is surrounded by guys, with only Dickie to use as a shield, was ballsy. A bunch of machine guns fired right there at Raylan and he's only slightly wounded? lol And somehow after all of that, Dickie is still alive!

Doyle got what was coming to him: a sniper bullet to the apricot, courtesy of Tim. Art and the rest of the marshals rushing in to save the day at the end was a bit cliche, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense given Art's insistence that Raylan was on his own. Considering that the last scene with Art, before that, was the one with Winona, I'm assuming she told him all about the stolen money; that it was all her fault and that she got Raylan involved.

Those final scenes. Holy shit. Incredible. I struggle to articulate my thoughts on those final scenes.

Loretta pointing the gun at Mags:

Raylan: What would your daddy want you to do?

Loretta: I want him here to tell me!

Oh. My. God. I'm getting a little choked up just typing that out. lol What an incredible scene. Then Mags and Raylan drinking the apple pie....I knew someone would get poisoned, but I honestly didn't even consider that Mags would poison herself. I thought the season would end with Raylan getting poisoned, and since there was an ambulance already there, I figured he would be saved just in time. But when I realized she was poisoning herself and talking herself through it, just like in the first episode, my mind was blown. She played that scene out so well.

Other thoughts:

Glad Carol is gone; hopefully she's off the show for good.

It's great that Rachel got a backstory and more screen time, as well as Art, but Tim was still sort of left out in the cold. I figure they'll give him an episode next season.

The girl who played Loretta is a great actress, which is unusual for a child. She should get some sort of award or something. Speaking of awards, someone give Margo Martindale one as well. What an unforgettable performance.

Overall, Justified is now one of my favorite TV series. The first season was good and the second was incredible. Now the wait begins for the third season.

JaskoX1

Banned
Finished Entourage S1. yeah.

Those bastards get laid A LOT. But the 3 nuckleheads make off to be unappreciative jackwagons. The manager, Ari is funny. Oh and his assistant is hot as hell. E, annoying. And Turtle's attitude piss me off.

Shit, so many seasons.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
JaskoX1 said:

Those bastards get laid A LOT. But the 3 nuckleheads make off to be unappreciative jackwagons. The manager, Ari is funny. Oh and his assistant is hot as hell. E, annoying. And Turtle's attitude piss me off.

Shit, so many seasons.

I stopped watching halfway through season 4. I pretty much hated all of the characters except for Ari and his assistant. If you hate the characters now, nothing they do throughout the series (or at least the first 4 seasons) will change your mind. It remains the only series I've dropped.

JaskoX1 said:

Shit, so many seasons.

Yeah you're probably not gonna like it if you keep watching.

near

Gold Member
Just watched the first two episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm and I really enjoyed them both. I'm definitely sticking with this at least until the first season is over. The humour is so well socially toned. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
JaskoX1 said:

Shit, so many seasons.
They dont change that much but that was exactly my opinion after coming off of season 1. They definitely humble them up a bit for the future seasons, as to not be so sickening. I enjoy the series mainly for the hot chicks and Ari, who is awesome.

TripOpt55

I finished up Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1 and 2 recently. Good show. Wasn't all that satisfied with the ending to Season 2, but it is a fun show to watch. I guess I will check out Season 3 when the DVD comes out.

I'm going to be picking up Season 3 of Damages this week. I really like that show, but with no DirecTV, I need to wait for DVD's now I guess.

sruckus

~Kinggi~ said:
They dont change that much but that was exactly my opinion after coming off of season 1. They definitely humble them up a bit for the future seasons, as to not be so sickening. I enjoy the series mainly for the hot chicks and Ari, who is awesome.

Exactly. I really wasn't a fan of season 1, but stuck with it and later seasons are much better IMO. It still is what it is, though. It's not The Wire or The Sopranos, etc.

As for Curb, glad you're enjoying it. Wish I got to watch the latest season last night, but my tuning adapter decided to not work so no HBO last night. Stupid TiVo. So getting rid of it and it's random issues.

Melchiah

I got eight channel package a while ago, and I've watched mostly Sci-Fi channel's Star Trek series; Voyager and Deep Space Nine. Although the fact that the latter is a B5 rip-off sometimes annoys me.

Others I've watched recently:
Oz (currently going through season 3)
King of the Hill
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dexter - finished Season 1.

Now i know where all this buzz comes from. SO good.

JaskoX1 said:
Probably going to watch season 2 then.. yeah. leverage, spooks,
or Justified - don't knoww

I love Leverage, especially the first two seasons. Its gone down hill, but for a while it was like a mini-Ocean's movie every week. Now I watch for the characters. Nate and Hartisan are awesome. The others are good enough that I'll watch for the first two.

Koburb

Banned
New HBO Canada miniseries called The Yard. It is OZ with kids, first episode of six aired on Friday.

big.jpg

NSFW

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6T5RPsyRhY&feature=channel_video_title
Nick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDG0btVU5g&feature=channel_video_title
Alistair Raps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAUTUgtNMFw&feature=related

omgkitty

Anyone here watching Suits? I think it's quickly becoming one of USA Network's best shows. Then again, almost all of their shows are great (minus In Plain Sight).

omgkitty said:
Anyone here watching Suits? I think it's quickly becoming one of USA Network's best shows. Then again, almost all of their shows are great (minus In Plain Sight).

I was a little skeptical during the previews of it, but I've read more than a couple of people saying this is a good show. I think I'll check it out when I have some time.

omgkitty

Net_Wrecker said:
I was a little skeptical during the previews of it, but I've read more than a couple of people saying this is a good show. I think I'll check it out when I have some time.

When I first started hearing about it and seeing images, I thought it was simply going to be a ripoff of White Collar, but it's actually very good and it's the only current USA show I can't wait to see the next episode of.

I finished watching Six Feet Under recently.

Great show. I knew nothing about it before watching it. I saw Dexter right before Six Feet Under so it was strange seeing Michael C. Hall as an emotional character at first haha.

As much as I liked it, seasons 3 and 4 (and 5 to a lesser extent) seemed way too different than the amazing first two seasons. A lot of plot points stretched out for far too long and felt melodramatic. But the good outweighed the bad.

The "that's not my dog" scene in season 4 was... Holy shitttttt.
And the finale was amazing. The last scene caught me off guard.

JaskoX1

Banned
Vince just buys his boys, EACH, an aston martin. And they don't even overreact, just stay cool.

I would fucking stare and drool all day long if someone just handed me an aston martin.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
6 episodes in and I'm still waiting for the awesomeness that is supposed to be Friday Night Lights season 3. So far its just been filled with rampant stupidity from just about every character.

I really wish someone would shoot Mopey Matt in the face. Hopefully he grows a pair at some point.

JoJoShabadoo said:
I finished watching Six Feet Under recently.

Great show. I knew nothing about it before watching it. I saw Dexter right before Six Feet Under so it was strange seeing Michael C. Hall as an emotional character at first haha.

As much as I liked it, seasons 3 and 4 (and 5 to a lesser extent) seemed way too different than the amazing first two seasons. A lot of plot points stretched out for far too long and felt melodramatic. But the good outweighed the bad.

The "that's not my dog" scene in season 4 was... Holy shitttttt.
And the finale was amazing. The last scene caught me off guard.

100% agreed. Season 5 redeems the show, but some of the relationship dynamics in seasons 3 and 4 were downright tedious.

Drewsky

Brian Fellows said:
6 episodes in and I'm still waiting for the awesomeness that is supposed to be Friday Night Lights season 3. So far its just been filled with rampant stupidity from just about every character.

I really wish someone would shoot Mopey Matt in the face. Hopefully he grows a pair at some point.
You watch your damn mouth! Matt is the best.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The anime series Noir:

Nothing too great. It took forever for the story to get going; at around episode 10 of 26. The eyecatches are super annoying; they're very loud and grating. There are an insane amount of flashbacks, at least 5 per episode, which is totally unnecessary. The overarching conspiracy/storyline is pretty cool, but they take way too long getting to it, and when they finally do, the series ends.

Overall the series was decent. Great atmosphere and music. Everything else was just OK.

Drewsky

besiktas1 said:
Just finished s7 of Seinfeld.. smh Costantaza SMH... hahaha
Seinfeld has been a part of my life for so long that I can't imagine watching it season by season like that for the first time. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

decaf

Would it be frowned upon to post a huge list of American TV shows I have seen for recommendations for what I've missed out on / what to watch next?

Okay folks, please give me some recommendations on which American TV show I should watch next (I have not included British TV shows or animation as, believe me, I'm on top of those). I'm not just interested in new stuff - would like recommendations for any old US TV shows I may have missed out on too.

Shows I love(d)
Justified
Breaking Bad
Jericho
Millenium
The X-Files
Dexter
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Wire
The Shield
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Freaks & Geeks
Flight of the Conchords
Party Down
Parks & Recreation
House
Damages
Arrested Development
Burn Notice
Prison Break (Season 1)
Seinfeld
Veronica Mars
Police Squad!

Shows I like(d)
Generation Kill
Oz (Seasons 1-4)
Modern Family
Frasier
True Blood
Spin City
Sliders
3rd Rock From The Sun
Scrubs (S1-4)
Fresh Prince
That '70s Show (S1-7)
Cougar Town

Shows I intend to finish
Deadwood (On S2)
Mad Men (on S2)
The Twilight Zone (on S1)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (on S1)
The Larry Sanders Show (on S2)
Californication (on S1)
Treme (on S1)
Monk (on S3/S4)

Shows I intend to watch
Twin Peaks
The Sopranos
West Wing
Boardwalk Empire
Undeclared
Six Feet Under

Shows I got bored of
Oz (Season 5+)
Prison Break (Season 2+, but I think I watched it until the end, or at least the final season... something involving
a big pipe
)
30 Rock (Loved Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan, but couldn't stand Tina Fey)
Lost (got about 10 episodes in. I decided it was something to do with
invisible dinosaurs
and left it at that)
Heroes (got about 15 episodes in and lost interest)
Carnivale
Community
Scrubs (S5+)
Weeds (S3+)
My Name Is Earl (S2+)
Better Off Ted (S2+)

Shows I have no interest in watching (I find them grating)
The Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dutch Mafia said:
Sports Night.

I saw this on Netflix Instant and tried watching it. I got about 3-4 minutes when I realized there was a laugh track. I wasn't too impressed anyway but that really killed it. Sorkin to a laugh track is a hideous, horrible thing.

Spire said:
I saw this on Netflix Instant and tried watching it. I got about 3-4 minutes when I realized there was a laugh track. I wasn't too impressed anyway but that really killed it. Sorkin to a laugh track is a hideous, horrible thing.
They dropped the laugh track in the second season. It was never intended to have one, but ABC forced one on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom