• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

caffeinedreamer said:
Would it be frowned upon to post a huge list of American TV shows I have seen for recommendations for what I've missed out on / what to watch next?

Okay folks, please give me some recommendations on which American TV show I should watch next (I have not included British TV shows or animation as, believe me, I'm on top of those). I'm not just interested in new stuff - would like recommendations for any old US TV shows I may have missed out on too.
snip
Oof. Quite a list there, so I don't have many suggestions but:
-Continue Scrubs. I know a lot didn't like seasons 6 and 7, but 8 is fantastic.
-You...did what with Lost? What? No.
You're so so so so so wrong about what you think it is.
Watch it.
-Tina Fey annoys you that much on 30 Rock? The show is pure farce, so I don't take anything very seriously on it. She's a caricature just like everyone else on it, and a damn funny one at that.
-Fringe is about as good as tv sci-fi gets. Starts slow, but hits its stride hard in seasons 2 and 3.
-Louie on FX. It's not even fair to call the show a comedy because it does some of the most serious and insightful stuff on the air. But sure, it's hilarious at the same time.
-Terriers was a one and done this past year but it was one of the better seasons of TV I've seen. James and Logue are spectacular actors and their chemistry is amazing.
-HIMYM may have that pesky laugh track, and it's certainly become a decent show at best, but I think it's first 3 or so seasons were relatively smart and very funny.
-Journeyman: another one-season show, but it's quite wonderful.

All I can think of at the moment.

decaf

Cheers big ander, I'll have another go with some of those. I'll certainly check out Fringe, Louie, Terriers and Journeyman (will probably need more US iTunes cards though - I seriously doubt any of these are available to rent in my neck of the woods).

caffeinedreamer said:
Okay folks, please give me some recommendations on which American TV show I should watch next (I have not included British TV shows or animation as, believe me, I'm on top of those). I'm not just interested in new stuff - would like recommendations for any old US TV shows I may have missed out on too.
Friday Night Lights should definitely be your next priority.

Others i think you'll enjoy:
Wonderfalls
Pushing Daisies
Battlestar Galactica
Farscape

omgkitty said:
Anyone here watching Suits? I think it's quickly becoming one of USA Network's best shows. Then again, almost all of their shows are great (minus In Plain Sight).

I'm watching it. Show's awesome thus far.

decaf

Spotless Mind said:
Friday Night Lights should definitely be your next priority.

Others i think you'll enjoy:
Wonderfalls
Pushing Daisies
Battlestar Galactica
Farscape

I have wondered about watching FNL... does it matter if I have no interest in American Football whatsoever?

I've seen Wonderfalls, which was great - exactly my kind of show (Canadian though, right)? ;)

I watched the miniseries and the series following that for Battlestar Galactica. Some of the characters were interesting... I just find space, and spaceships really boring. I have the same feeling about Farscape too to be honest... sorry!

big ander

caffeinedreamer said:
I have wondered about watching FNL... does it matter if I have no interest in American Football whatsoever?

I've seen Wonderfalls, which was great - exactly my kind of show (Canadian though, right)? ;)

I watched the miniseries and the series following that for Battlestar Galactica. Some of the characters were interesting... I just find space, and spaceships really boring. I have the same feeling about Farscape too to be honest... sorry!
Ooh, how did I forget FNL. Do that first. It's spectacular.

caffeinedreamer said:
Doesn't matter in the slightest. It's a wonderfully heartfelt and genuine character drama. This post from 4 years back sums up my thoughts pretty well. I'm still as enamoured with it as i was during season 1!

caffeinedreamer said:
It was filmed in Canada, but it's a US/Canadian co-production, so it counts! ;) Since you loved it, you should give Pushing Daisies a try, since it''s from the same creator. It oozes charm and is unlike anything else i've ever watched, on tv at least.

Fry

Is 'Louie' any good? Thinking about getting the first season, but no so sure I'm a fan of that type of comedy.

Mileena

Banned
caffeinedreamer said:
Would it be frowned upon to post a huge list of American TV shows I have seen for recommendations for what I've missed out on / what to watch next?

Supernatural

big ander

Fry8 said:
Is 'Louie' any good? Thinking about getting the first season, but no so sure I'm a fan of that type of comedy.
See if you can find an episode and watch it, not like watching out of order would hurt the show. It's a peculiar show and I don't think it works for everyone, but many find it fantastic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fry8 said:

I'm not a huge fan of that type of comedy either, but I still like the show. There's a good split between the pure comedy moments and the serious, reflective stuff. Try finding an episode to watch online. Hulu has three episodes.

caffeinedreamer said:

Rome

Spartacus - the first few episodes are AWFUL, but it gets much much better.

Lost - It really isn't the show you think it is, and it's a show worth watching for at least the first three seasons.

Band of Brothers

Pushing Daisies

John Adams

Tell Me You Love Me

Chuck - At least the first two seasons.

Big Love - The first three seasons are good, but the fourth was sort of terrible. The fifth was pretty good, but had to deal with all of the crap season 4 introduced, so it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Other shows that I haven't seen but are supposed to be good:

Terriers
Friday Night Lights
Sons of Anarchy

Most recent show i've seen has been Luther. I can't believe more people aren't talking about this show! If you have Netflix, season one is on there. It's a really great drama!

big ander

Salazar said:
Starting Supernatural season 6 while I wait for the next Game of Thrones eps on iTunes.

Feels pretty good, man.
Waiting for episodes? Is iTunes behind on episodes for some reason?
Triple Oceans said:
Most recent show i've seen has been Luther. I can't believe more people aren't talking about this show! If you have Netflix, season one is on there. It's a really great drama!
Been on my list for a while, I hear it's great.

Triple Oceans said:

I'm definitely going to check out Luther soon.

Anyways, I just watched ALL of Louie in the last 2 days....pretty damn good show, will definitely keep watching. Surprised at how sincere some of the episodes seem. The episode with the high school bully? The Jesus episode? I was engaged in a way I didn't think I would be.

Never paid much attention to FX shows before, is that Wilfred show worth checking out? It looks kind of funny.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kitschkraft said:
Never paid much attention to FX shows before, is that Wilfred show worth checking out? It looks kind of funny.

Yep, it's quite good. Not amazing, but still worth checking out, I think. It's not laugh out loud funny though, it's more of an 'amusing' type of comedy.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of starting on House. I haven't heard anything bad about it until now.

Dr Eggman said:
I'm thinking of starting on House. I haven't heard anything bad about it until now.

I watch it on and off, and as with most medical and detective procedurals, it simply gets worst as time goes on due to the (necessary I suppose) escalation of plot points.

I feel like you'd be better off just checking out the reruns whenever they are on...

But I personally never saw the point in *following* these types of shows, so maybe it's just me. I just feel like the "crime of the week"/"disease of the week" nature of these shows allows for casual viewing.

K1LLER7 said:
watching misfits series 1, great so far really worth a watch :)

Same. I think its alright. So far I don't think its lived up to the hype though. Its not on the same level as Who/Sherlock/Luther like I was expecting it to be

MetalFearSolid said:
Really..I heard the last season the show had was terrible..

I love me some Olivia Wilde...but her character is like, ridiculous.

And it seems like the producers hooked her up early for next season and for more money than the other cast members....and we all know who is leaving....so I can assume that Wildes new star power is going to result in the show balancing even more towards her.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dr Eggman said:

It's pretty good. Watch the first season first, and then go from there. The last great season is season 4. There are some really good episodes in seasons 5, 6, and 7, but they're few and far between. The show has been showing it's age for quite a while so hopefully next season will be the last.

Kitschkraft said:
I love me some Olivia Wilde...but her character is like, ridiculous.

And it seems like the producers hooked her up early for next season and for more money than the other cast members....and we all know who is leaving....so I can assume that Wildes new star power is going to result in the show balancing even more towards her.

Actually, I've read that due to her upcoming film roles, she won't be as prominent next season as she was in seasons past. (excluding last season, where she was in like 4 episodes) She, Taub, and House were the only regular cast members whose contracts were originally signed for season 8. (The other cast members have since signed on for season 8, leaving Cuddy as the only non returning regular.)

K1LLER7

brucewaynegretzky said:
Same. I think its alright. So far I don't think its lived up to the hype though. Its not on the same level as Who/Sherlock/Luther like I was expecting it to be
I'd never heard of it before until a thread was made on gaf. liked the concept and the actors were decent too. The guy who plays nathan is brilliant.

Might give sherlock a watch :p

JaskoX1

Banned
Finished Season 7 of Entourage.

Can honestly say I enjoyed the show. But It may just be because it's the middle of summer and I don't have anything else to do.

8th season premiers today?

I started rewatching Friday Night Lights a couple of weeks ago and I just finished Season 1. :)
It stills brings a tear to my eye and Coach's speech at halftime during the State Final is great. The pilot episode is the best pilot I've ever seen and I doubt it will beaten soon in my eyes.

I'm dreading the sideplot of Season 2 and Julie's teenage revolt but I still like Season 2 anyway.

Friday Night Lights is my favourite show and Season 1 might just be the greatest season of television I've ever seen besides perhaps something from The Wire or Arrested Development but they're completely different shows so they can all co-exist up in the stratosphere together.

TripOpt55

Does GAF ever do a voting thread for Top TV Shows each year like they do for Games of the Year? I mean maybe you'd make the "year" start in September so you wouldn't split so many network seasons in half, but that would be kind of fun. Of course, for all I know its been done and I just somehow missed the thread.

Anyway, I've been watching Damages Season 3 on DVD. It hasn't quite grabbed me like the first two seasons, but I am still enjoying it.

Zeliard

Dr Eggman said:

The first couple of seasons are quite good, especially Hugh Laurie.

I ended up stopping completely near the end of the season that Kal Penn was on, though, which I think was the 5th. That season as a whole was pretty bad. The show just became contrived and uninteresting, and House the character became repetitive. They had tried to fix that by changing up the cast but all the new people were boring.

Still worth watching it for the first season or two.

theDeeDubs

Salazar said:
Starting Supernatural season 6 while I wait for the next Game of Thrones eps on iTunes.

Feels pretty good, man.

While no where near as good as season 5, I still really enjoyed season 6. The cast has developed such a rapport with each other, it's still fun to watch even in the lesser seasons.

I've been watching V season 2 and Breaking Bad from the beginning. V is ok but has almost too much cheese for me. Breaking Bad is as good as everyone said it was. I have to fast-forward through some of the sickness parts though. They were the reason I put the show off in the first place.

Zeliard

-Red_Mage- said:
I've tried so many times to get into The Wire and just can't :(.

Watch several episodes in a row - like the first 5, straight. The Wire is a slow burn. They just throw you in there and expect that you'll keep up.

Many say they give up after the first two or so episodes because all of the jargon, the huge cast, the detail etc gets to them and they can't keep up. But if you keep watching everything will come together very nicely, and all of the characters become extremely distinct and identifiable, even the small ones.

theDeeDubs

Zeliard said:
Watch several episodes in a row - like the first 5, straight. The Wire is a slow burn. They just throw you in there and expect that you'll keep up.

Many say they give up after the first two or so episodes because all of the jargon, the huge cast, the detail etc gets to them and they can't keep up. But if you keep watching everything will come together very nicely, and all of the characters become extremely distinct and identifiable, even the small ones.

I've watched all of season 1 twice. I just don't like the cast for some reason. I keep trying because coming across a TV show LTTP with several seasons is like finding a gold mine to me.

Zeliard

-Red_Mage- said:
I've watched all of season 1 twice. I just don't like the cast for some reason.

Ah, well that's a different matter. To be perfectly honest, I have never heard that before. :D

It's funny, actually - Season 2 starts off with new people at first down at the docks, which is actually jarring to many who expect a direct continuation of the Barksdale stuff from Season 1. The main character of Season 2 doesn't even show up in Season 1. It's possible you could have the opposite reaction.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
-Red_Mage- said:
I've tried so many times to get into The Wire and just can't :(.

^ like the dude above me said, when i first tried to watch it i gave up also, went back to it when i was bored one day and never looked back.

Its going to be a pain in the ass getting my girlfriend into the wire because of the overwhelming first episodes.

its so fucking good.

i really felt life wasn't worth living when i finished it, i felt like no show could take its place. it pretty much ruined tv for me because it was that good.

Luckly i got into the shield and that sort of filled its place.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Donthizz# said:
Started watching Star Strek Enterprice, on the last season now..really enjoying this..

I love enterprise with all my heart, really blew my mind with the great expanse n shit.

So good, but i'm like the only person i know who enjoys it.

Nemesis_

Recommendations guys?!

I've got all these to watch and not sure where to go next. Breaking Bad is probably my next choice but I would prefer some opinions of series' other than Breaking Bad, if possible. The fact that LOST has finished and concluded makes it a bit more appealing to me but I honestly don't know what to expect.

NurseJackie.jpg

369px-Breaking_Bad_logo.svg.png

800px-The_Borgias.jpg

Being_Human_2011_Intertitle.png

Being_Human_title.jpg

400px-Lost_main_title.svg.png

800px-Game_of_Thrones_2011_logo.svg.png

Wiktor

I've recently went through the whole Wire in the Blood. I've watched episode every day till I was done :)

So damn good. The atmosphere, the acting, the villains and crimes as well as the progresion of each case were all extremely well done. Plus the most important part - Tony Hill character played by Robson Green, so much fun to watch. Absolutely brilliant, but in convincing way. He was extremely intelligent, but actually had to work for everything. Even if the rest of the show would be rubish he would be able to carry it on his own shoulders.

Such a shame it got canceled. I guess I still have novels to look forward to.

And I honestly don't see how the american remake has any chance of working unless they also give two episodes to each case.

theDeeDubs

Zeliard said:
Ah, well that's a different matter. To be perfectly honest, I have never heard that before. :D

It's funny, actually - Season 2 starts off with new people at first down at the docks, which is actually jarring to many who expect a direct continuation of the Barksdale stuff from Season 1. The main character of Season 2 doesn't even show up in Season 1. It's possible you could have the opposite reaction.

It's worth a shot then.

elfinke

After having the 3 seasons' boxes sit on top of the DVD player in the bedroom unwatched and unloved, we finally made an effort to load up Arrested Development this weekend.

It's thoroughly excellent!

dvdjamm

I'm up to episode 7,Season 1 of Archer...Great show. I know it's animated,but Lana is so hot,even with her Johnny Bench sized fingers,lol. I remembered the pic of Bench from when I was a kid,so I know the writers went way back for that joke...It would be interesting to see a live action version of it so George Clooney could go to town as Archer,Matt Damon as Cyrus,Aisha Tyler as Lana,Jessica Walter as Malory and so on...

I'm really enjoying Feherty on the Golf Channel...David Feherty interviewing some of the greats of golf (Tom Watson,Johnny Miller,Lee Trevino) as well as some celebrities that are total golf fanatics (Don Cheadle,Charles Barkley). The show needs to be an hour long,though.It's the damn Golf Channel...You have a chance to do a sit-down interview with Tom Watson and the show is only a 1/2 hour long? Anyway,I do know that if they get a chance to interview Tiger,it will be a week long 5 parter in time for sweeps.

Has anyone watched Season 2 of Human Target? Season 1 was great,but I read up on the changes and was kinda meh about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom