• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

I'd tell you to finish the season but you'd probably just watch Pretty Little Liars or Drop Dead Diva and say you needed some airy summer watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
WJD said:
I also bought the first season of Chuck recently and watched all of that. Got to say I was pretty disappointed in it; I'd heard good things but the characters never seemed to click for me. I don't think I'll be carrying on with it.

Any more recommendations?

That's pretty much the same way I felt about Chuck after I finished the first season. To begin with, I only watched the show because it came on before Heroes (lol). After the season ended, I didn't really care about the show enough to remember it existed. The following season I started watching Heroes online, and missed season 2 of Chuck as it was airing. But due to all of the positive comments following the second season finale, I caught back up with it, and enjoyed it more than the first season by far. I would strongly recommend that you at least watch the first few episodes of season 2. Up to episode 5, I'd say. If the show doesn't hook you by then, it just might not be for you. But please give the phenomenal second season a chance. It's one of my favorite seasons of any TV show that I've watched.

RatskyWatsky said:
That's pretty much the same way I felt about Chuck after I finished the first season. To begin with, I only watched the show because it came on before Heroes (lol). After the season ended, I didn't really care about the show enough to remember it existed. The following season I started watching Heroes online, and missed season 2 of Chuck as it was airing. But due to all of the positive comments following the second season finale, I caught back up with it, and enjoyed it more than the first season by far. I would strongly recommend that you at least watch the first few episodes of season 2. Up to episode 5, I'd say. If the show doesn't hook you by then, it just might not be for you. But give the phenomenal second season a chance. It's one of my favorite seasons of any TV show I've watched.

This. Chuck Season 2 is amazing..

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just finished Breaking Bad season 1!

Amazing. Pretty much everything about the first season was exceptional through and through. Acting, writing, pacing, music, cinematography, etc. were all superb. Random thoughts:

At the end of episode 2 or 3, when the kids find the breathing mask in the desert....WTF? I thought that they established that they were in the middle of nowhere, so why are there two children playing ball out there? It's not too big of an issue, I suppose, but it's a little convenient/nonsensical.

The part where Jesse is...destroying the body with the acid in the tub..Ugh. And then the tub breaks and all sorts of..pulp goes everywhere. And then they flush it. Holy shit. I was gagging the entire time, lol.

The "intervention" scene was really fantastic. Writing and acting was especially strong in this scene, even for the sister and her douchey husband. Walter's speech was so heartfelt and well acted..wow. Although, after his amazing speech about wanting to die with dignity and on his own terms, etc. the next day he changes his mind? I don't really understand that.

Holy shit at the crystallized mercury exploding. Is that a real thing? I love that since Walter knows he doesn't have too much longer to live, he's a total badass. Standing up to Tuco, standing his ground. Damn.

I also really like that the show sort of teaches you about chemistry. I have no idea if any of it is actually accurate, but it's super interesting. The acid that'll melt through (pretty much) anything except for a plastic container? Etch-a-sketch powder eating through steel locks? Really cool.

What an incredible first season. What else can I say? I can't wait to start season 2.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Just started Entourage. Short eps so should get through it in no time, so far its been good.

The first season was pretty good. The show gets progressively worse though.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
i am shocked at how perfect GAME OF THRONES is. it's got the viciousness of DEADWOOD in a lord of the rings setting. amazing.

I love GoT, but come on duder, its not even in the same realm as Deadwood.

Solo said:

And neither are in the same realm as Sopranos.

I realize that wasn't part of the conversation, but in my rare visits to this thread I just feel like its my duty to make sure you've gone through the entire Sopranos.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
i'm three episodes in! cut me some slack. it wasn't a value comparison, just speaking about how ruthless everyone in it is.

three episodes of GOT wrecks all the sopranos i've seen though.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
i'm three episodes in! cut me some slack. it wasn't a value comparison, just speaking about how ruthless everyone in it is.

In that sense, sure, fair enough. But where Deadwood is a clear cut ahead is the writing, the performances and especially the production values. Probably my biggest gripe with GoT is that you really feel the budget constraints - very often it feels cheap and too much like a soundstage.

Sotha Sil said:
Okay, Fringe is awesome. It's pretty much a "how I learned to stop worrying and love the Walt" scenario. Silliness made me cringe at first; now they're just rolling with any grotesque idea they have in mind, and it's glorious.

I want to believe. I'm up to about half the first season trying to power through it, but it's just so bad.

GAF tells me it'll get better, but so far it's been terrible. They have to explain EVERYTHING to the audience multiple times it's incredibly annoying. My suspension of disbelief limit is fairly high, but here is broken multiple times. And I'm not talking about the supernatural stuff at all.

Minor spoiler:
That a trained agent for example would make a phone call planning to murder someone from his WORK landline is just facepalm worthy. And they somehow have to "hack" his phone to listen? Jesus, even at my work all my calls are recorded and I certainly don't deal with highly sensitive goverment information.
That's just one of the many facepalms I have to do at each episode.

I really hope it gets better GAF, don't let me down.

beelzebozo said:

three episodes of GOT wrecks all the sopranos i've seen though.

So I'm guessing you've seen no Sopranos then?

I loved the whole first season of GoT and can't wait for the second, but I think your off the cuff impressions are clouding your judgment.

bud

i'm a couple of episodes into season four of nip/tuck. last season's
carver
arc got more over-the-top as it went on, and its conclusion was utterly ridiculous. the moments christian and sean share are what i'm most interested in--and they're pretty great.

beelzebozo said:
i am shocked at how perfect GAME OF THRONES is. it's got the viciousness of DEADWOOD in a lord of the rings setting. amazing.

although it feels a bit stagey at times, it's pretty good.

WJD

RatskyWatsky said:
That's pretty much the same way I felt about Chuck after I finished the first season. To begin with, I only watched the show because it came on before Heroes (lol). After the season ended, I didn't really care about the show enough to remember it existed. The following season I started watching Heroes online, and missed season 2 of Chuck as it was airing. But due to all of the positive comments following the second season finale, I caught back up with it, and enjoyed it more than the first season by far. I would strongly recommend that you at least watch the first few episodes of season 2. Up to episode 5, I'd say. If the show doesn't hook you by then, it just might not be for you. But please give the phenomenal second season a chance. It's one of my favorite seasons of any TV show that I've watched.
Alright, you've convinced me. I'll give Season 2 a chance.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Scullibundo said:
So I'm guessing you've seen no Sopranos then?

I loved the whole first season of GoT and can't wait for the second, but I think your off the cuff impressions are clouding your judgment.

i've seen two seasons of SOPRANOS. i understand your skepticism. i think it's an okay show, but after two seasons i was completely burnt out on the show's mood, and was even tired of gandolfini playing tony. in a normal show like this, there are a series of betrayals and forged alliances and all that which under the surface are pretty calculated, but a good show understands how to obscure them and make them seem organic. THE SOPRANOS felt like nothing but an endless string of these things--someone having illicit sex, seemingly mundane home issues, someone betraying someone else and attempting to have them murdered. that's all well and good so long as i am interested in the characters, and to be honest, after two seasons without thinking i decided to move on to another show.

what i mean when i use the above comparison--that after three episodes i like GOT better--is that i've had a stronger emotional reaction to those three episodes and feel more tied to the characters. that's not necessarily going to be true for everyone, but i went into work today ranting about the little stupid prince motherfucker, wishing death upon him, extremely hooked.

bud said:
i'm a couple of episodes into season four of nip/tuck. last season's
carver
arc got more over-the-top as it went on, and its conclusion was utterly ridiculous. the moments christian and sean share are what i'm most interested in--and they're pretty great.

although it feels a bit stagey at times, it's pretty good.

you know, it does feel stagey. solo mentioned that too, and i think that's a great point. i never noticed though, because the plot and performances are that strong for me.

as to your nip/tuck watch, i always refer back to that first season as one of my favorites. it got harder to watch as i went.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
For some damn reason, I love Swamp People..... And I have no idea what is the reason I like it so much. Here is a clip of the dude with the best storylines and hilarious bobby bouche accent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzeYrjfN9s&feature=fvsr

Also been watching MAN vs WILD which is a great show too! Someone told me most of the stuff he does is fake but I don't see how. That Bear dude is crazy.

Shorty

Banned
Just finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights and enjoyed it A LOT. Now off to season 2 but I heard it's not as good? What about the other seasons, the show as a whole? Any impressions?

braves01

Banned
It's not quite up there with The Sopranos or Deadwood in any respect, but I've been watching a lot of Pawn Stars recently. It really hits the sweet spot between Antiques Roadshow and American Pickers and other shows like that in that it features a lot of interesting historical items as well as the cars, bikes, and other fun stuff.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
braves01 said:
It's not quite up there with The Sopranos or Deadwood in any respect, but I've been watching a lot of Pawn Stars recently. It really hits the sweet spot between Antiques Roadshow and American Pickers and other shows like that in that it features a lot of interesting historical items as well as the cars, bikes, and other fun stuff.

Started watching those too, Im becoming a reality tv dude! NOOOOOOO lol

big ander

Shorty said:
Just finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights and enjoyed it A LOT. Now off to season 2 but I heard it's not as good? What about the other seasons, the show as a whole? Any impressions?
Season 2 is very rocky, but there's enough great stuff in there to keep it from being awful. Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are downright spectacular.

Shorty

Banned
big ander said:
Season 2 is very rocky, but there's enough great stuff in there to keep it from being awful. Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are downright spectacular.
exactly what I needed to hear! nice avatar by the way.

Scullibundo said:
And neither are in the same realm as Sopranos.

I realize that wasn't part of the conversation, but in my rare visits to this thread I just feel like its my duty to make sure you've gone through the entire Sopranos.

Good man. Beelze you're a bro but you're just spitting straight blasphemy in this thread right now.

God tier:
Sopranos
Deadwood
The Wire

a tier or two below:
GOT

Dead

well not really...yet
Just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights

Was taken aback. It seems like theres a bunch of episodes missing between season 2 and 3. Its almost as if the 2nd half of season 2 was missing from the DVD set...

strasza

Neo Member
I'm hooked on Vampire Diaries at the moment, almost finished with season two. The interwebs are a scary place when watching a show like this. I accidentally saw a spoiler and it nearly killed me.

Another I finally caved on was Cougar Town. I'm mad I didn't sooner, it's awesome.

Well all the god-tier shows aren't flawless. Deadwood didn't get it's ending and The Wire had a really spotty fifth season (for me)

thekad said:
GOT has a couple more seasons to reach god-tier.

I don't think it will reach it. It's going to be middle b-tier at the end of it's run (are you guys tired of this word yet?)

Messi

Discotheque said:
Well all the god-tier shows aren't flawless. Deadwood didn't get it's ending and The Wire had a really spotty second season (for me)

The Wire is as close to flawless as one should get.

Season 2 was great, btw.

Dead

well not really...yet
wire season 2 is a lot better in retrospect.

Watching it, the new characters kinda grate (especially you know who) but looking back on the whole season and knowing where it was heading, it really holds up. Definitely a season that benefits from a rewatch.

I meant FIVE! My bad it was a slip. I like second season quite a bit actually, the union boss' end was sad to see.

Season 4 is about as good as a TV show will ever get I think.

big ander

I must have forgotten to post that I watched The League season 2 after putting it off forever. Great stuff, what a cable sitcom needs to be
Should be starting The Wire this week and I'm also going to get to Mad Men season 4 soon
Dead said:
Just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights

Was taken aback. It seems like theres a bunch of episodes missing between season 2 and 3. Its almost as if the 2nd half of season 2 was missing from the DVD set...
Blame the writers strike.

Dead

well not really...yet
big ander said:
Blame the writers strike.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that

So they literally just ended the season early and cut out episodes rather than restructure it?

Season 2 was okay, but the whole Landry thing was just stupid and useless

I've only seen season one of Mad Men so far. If the other 3 are as good as this then THIS is my favorite show currently running on tv right now. I liked it even more than Breaking Bad (which is still consistent)

thekad said:
MM > BB, definitely.

Stopped watching Boardwalk Empire around episode 5. Does it get any better?

If you don't like it after that many episodes you should probably quit. I loved it though.

And the introduction of the best tv performance of the year:

harrow.jpg

big ander

Dead said:
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that

So they literally just ended the season early and cut out episodes rather than restructure it?

Season 2 was okay, but the whole Landry thing was just stupid and useless
Pretty much. Season 2 was a mess overall. Good pieces, like I said
matt in the tub is one of the best moments of the series
but the network prompted the showrunners to make the show more exciting and soapy for season 2, nearly losing the down-to-earth quality that makes the show so sublimely great. Flat-out starting from a new year was the best way to recapture that, I think, so I'm glad they just didn't make those episodes.
Discotheque said:
I've only seen season one of Mad Men so far. If the other 3 are as good as this then THIS is my favorite show currently running on tv right now. I liked it even more than Breaking Bad (which is still consistent)
It took me a while to love it. I definitely thought season 1 and 2 were great and season 3 brings it all together. But that slow burn meant it wasn't as immediately captivating, where Breaking Bad had me way fucking hooked in the first 5 minutes.

Yeah the benefit of Breaking Bad is that it has so many memorable shock moments in it. I'm getting used to slow-burners now though so I loved Mad Men after I saw the pilot.

Dead

well not really...yet
big ander said:
Pretty much. Season 2 was a mess overall. Good pieces, like I said
matt in the tub is one of the best moments of the series
but the network prompted the showrunners to make the show more exciting and soapy for season 2, nearly losing the down-to-earth quality that makes the show so sublimely great. Flat-out starting from a new year was the best way to recapture that, I think, so I'm glad they just didn't make those episodes.
Oh yeah, that scene almost had me in tears. Absolutely amazing scene.

gdt

Dead said:
Oh yeah, that scene almost had me in tears. Absolutely amazing scene.

S3 will rock your face. It's my favorite season of TV, ever. S4 is pretty good (some stumbling in the middle) but it has the best episode of the show (probably), and S5 is balls awesome.

S3>5>1>4>>>2.

Edit: That is one of the best scenes of the show. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom