• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Everyone should be watching FNL. Such a stellar show. Certainly in my top 4 (I can't narrow it down much further dammit). It also went out on top too, never seen anyone else say otherwise.

thekad said:
Stopped watching Boardwalk Empire around episode 5. Does it get any better?
The pace picks up considerably towards the end of the season. They spend a lot of time world building and developing characters on the front end. It looks like it'll pay off even more in S2 (judging on how it's set up and the teaser trailer), but if you're not enjoying it at all there's not too much of a reason to keep watching.

Still making my way through Millennium season 1. Just finished episode 14, The Thin White Line...

That ep contained one of the best "interrogation" scenes I've ever seen on a non-premium network series. Just 10 minutes of tense conversation with the buzzing of florescent lights in the background. Perfectly executed.

dorkimoe

Salazar said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

The dude who plays Smash does a fucking great job. This season is killer already. Buddy is a dick.

Quoted for when you see how awesome buddy is :)

I started 8 simple rules (just to have some comedy to watch and i love john ritter and have a crush on kaley cuocco) . This show is awesome. Season was was hillarious, the kid is such a troll.

DONT watch the episode where he died :( it was like someone cut a million onions in front of me. Ive always been a john ritter fan though. *pointing out thats not a spoiler since it was real life*

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brucewaynegretzky said:
Ok I'm watching Twin Peaks. On episode 3. Seriously what is so great about this show? Every character is a over exaggerated stereotype and everyone is overacting.

i didn't get it either.

brucewaynegretzky said:
I just feel like its trying really hard to be "deep" but is just being cheesy in the process. Solving crimes by dream? I think I may have just been expecting a real crime drama.

Twin Peaks is anything BUT a normal crime drama.

It's weird, very weird. Sit back and watch it unfold.

~Kinggi~

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Ok I'm watching Twin Peaks. On episode 3. Seriously what is so great about this show? Every character is a over exaggerated stereotype and everyone is overacting.
No i think thats the interpretation everyone has. I thought the same thing. Trick to the show is that it is not to be taken seriously. Its pretty evident they were trying to be comedic.

brianjones said:
deep ? no

its basically a really good soap opera

you dont find any of the characters or setting or atmosphere charming?

Charming... maybe. Quality storytelling... No. When I watch something that was so popular I expect it to be high quality. Not comically poor quality. I'm gonna try adjusting my attitude.... see if that changes my perception of the show.

Raistlin

I'm wondering, has MTV finally figured out how to make some competent scripted shows? I'm actually really digging Teen Wolf (which I expected would be a raping of my childhood) and Awkward.

Teen Wolf actually has a pretty good premise, and while it hasn't quite lived up to its potential, it's been quite good and holds a lot of promise. Most importantly, I think the casting is fantastic. There really isn't a sour note there. Oh, and Crystal Reed has inarguably the cutest dimples ... ever (I should probably post her in the celebrity crush thread - lordy she's gorgeous).

While Awkward is only 2 eps in, I'm surprised by the writing so far. It reminds me of cast-limited Freaks and Geeks, but without the shackles of FCC regulation. I was impressed with how crass - in a realistic manner (unlike what I've heard about Skins) - the dialog and situations actually are. Hell, in two eps you can already piece together an accurate picture of the main character's boobs lol.

Duderz

Banned
I'm thinking of blind buying Treme for the end of the year HBO sale that Best Buy usually has - GAF, I love The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Lost, Game of Thrones, and I know Treme is pretty much on its own. How do you guys like or dislike it?

Duderz said:
I'm thinking of blind buying Treme for the end of the year HBO sale that Best Buy usually has - GAF, I love The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Lost, Game of Thrones, and I know Treme is pretty much on its own. How do you guys like or dislike it?

Treme is amazing, but it's very different from your typical drama. There are overarching stories, but much of it is just following the characters, listening to conversations filled with music/cooking jargon, and watching live performances. STUFF does happen, but the pacing is different from everything out there. VERY rewarding series though, with incredible direction and incredible acting from EVERYONE on the show. Give it a shot.

Duderz said:

It's fantastic. There are a lot of people who dont like it though, which is usually because they find the show slow (I don't), or the music/culture of New Orleans doesn't interest them. If it does, you'll love it. The first episode was difficult to get into but it really clicked for me from the second episode onwards. Oh and it's not really like any of the shows you listed, even The Wire. So you could easily find it a bore/chore like a lot seem to.

treme's solid but i don't know if i would buy it. i don't think it has much replay value.

i think i enjoy it more watching on a weekly basis than i would marathoning it

Salazar

Friday Night Lights Season 3.

Lord forgive me. I want to do filthy, filthy things to Janine Turner.

It doesn't matter that she's old. It doesn't matter that she's incredibly right wing and incalculably stupid. Nor even that she is more botox than flesh.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Duderz said:

The Blu Ray is top tier stuff, as far as picture and sound quality. And the extras, especially the music commentary, make up for the HBO premium. The way to experience this show is straight through, a marathon session if you can.

gdt

Salazar said:
Friday Night Lights Season 3.

Lord forgive me. I want to do filthy, filthy things to Janine Turner.

It doesn't matter that she's old. It doesn't matter that she's incredibly right wing and incalculably stupid. Nor even that she is more botox than flesh.

I had no idea she was a right wing nut.

This is the video I found on her site.

http://vimeo.com/25247236

lol

No wonder JD turned out to be such a dick.

gdt

Crimson Clown said:
Watched the Babylon 5 pilot earlier. Pretty good. Seems like BioWare got quite bit of inspiration for ME from it.

Man, the pilot sucked fucking ass. Some good stuff in S1 though, but overall it's pretty bad. S2 and on is amazing though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Breaking Bad season 2:

Whoa, this season was a roller coaster. Random thoughts:

Tuco capturing Jesse and Walter, and then the old guy with the bell. WAS. INSANE.

The severed head stuck on the back of a turtle. Holy crap, that was so gross/scary. Oh yeah, it's a surprise bomb! And the aftermath...yikes. I hope Walt and Jesse eventually have to deal with the Mexican cartel.

Saul is an interesting character, as is the new drug lord/taco store owner. I wonder if he'll still deal with Walter now that he knows his brother is in the DEA.

The junkie girl that choked on her own vomit while Walter just looked on...It was the smart thing to do, for someone in his position to let her choke, but it was still sad. It would have happened eventually though, and thankfully she wasn't able to drag Jessie completely down with her.

From the beginning of Skyler getting her old job back, I figured an affair with her boss (/ex flame?) wouldn't be too far off. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen, but I think that since she now wants Walter gone, (since she found out about his second cell phone, fake trips, etc.) added on top of his already emotional distance the past few weeks, it's only a matter of time.

A lot of deaths this season too. Tuco and his friend, the ATM guy, the drug dealer who was working for Jesse, the junkie girl.

Incredible. So much stuff happened this season, it's crazy to look back at all of it. Bring on season 3!

Finally finished Friday Night Lights season 5 through Hulu. Was a little turned off when I was watching it live and then I got rid of DirecTV so yeah, kind of forgot about it.

Overall I enjoyed the series. Wish characters weren't thrown away every now and then but what can you do.
Wish we saw more Jason and him still rooting for the Panthers? Where's his coach loyalty. And never seeing Epic again made me a little sad despite her name.

Zeth

Half way through the final season of The Wire for my second viewing of the series. (First for gf). I appreciate even more the second time around. Brilliant entertainment.

Ate up Eastbound and Down. Wish there was more of it watch. Hilarious.

Also watching Louie right now. Looking forward to starting The Shield asap to see how it compares to The Wire.

Donthizz#

Zeth said:
Half way through the final season of The Wire for my second viewing of the series. (First for gf). I appreciate even more the second time around. Brilliant entertainment.

Ate up Eastbound and Down. Wish there was more of it watch. Hilarious.

Also watching Louie right now. Looking forward to starting The Shield asap to see how it compares to The Wire.

Shield is really fast paced compared to wire..and its really good

zychi

Banned
Just curious about this.

Do you guys tend to revisit a show after a watch?
If not, assuming you purchased them somehow and aren't streaming them/doing it another way, what do you do with the dvds/blurays?
Do you keep them in your collection or sell them after?

The only show I own right now is Lost, and that's because I want to go through it again in a few years. I've sold off my Sopranos dvds, Wire dvd, Breaking Bad, and Fringe blurays. I'm the type of person who watches something once and is done with it. With a few exceptions like my top 10 favorite movies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i had far less luck enjoying THE SHIELD than i did THE WIRE. SHIELD felt very much like that edginess was being forced. i have heard it's a wonderful show if you can get into it, but i have been incapable of doing so thus far.

THE WIRE seems very natural and real. THE SHIELD seems more contrived and stylized than NIP/TUCK.

zychi said:
Just curious about this.

if i like it, i watch it over and over and over, because the material always supports closer examination and does not tire with familiarity.

Rage Kage

Neo Member
I saw an episode of The Suits yesterday. Good humor, but I feel like it was totally unrealistic. Harvey is a dick but not a super dick.

Rage Kage said:
I saw an episode of The Suits yesterday. Good humor, but I feel like it was totally unrealistic. Harvey is a dick but not a super dick.
He seems like the perfect amount of dick for a partner at the firm...if that is what he is. I would have that hair in an instant, no question. That mole on his forehead just screams authority.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
zychi said:
Just curious about this.

If not, assuming you purchased them somehow and aren't streaming them/doing it another way, what do you do with the dvds/blurays?
Do you keep them in your collection or sell them after?

The only show I own right now is Lost, and that's because I want to go through it again in a few years. I've sold off my Sopranos dvds, Wire dvd, Breaking Bad, and Fringe blurays. I'm the type of person who watches something once and is done with it. With a few exceptions like my top 10 favorite movies.

I like to save special features and commentaries for rainy days.

Also, I lend them to family and friends. I've introduced so many people to The Wire...

really depends on what kind of show it is

ive seen sopranos, mad men, breaking bad, deadwood, the wire multiple times

i havent felt the urge to rewatch something like six feet under though

of course good comedies like the office and simpsons are infinitely rewatchable

and yeah they are generally great for lending out.. unless it's blu-ray

Solo

zychi said:
Just curious about this.

Very rarely. Which of course always gives me buyer's remorse whenever I buy a TV season on Bluray. It comes down to a matter of time/care. I find its a daunting task to devote 20 hours to something you already did before. Its the reason why I know deep down I should only buy movies on Bluray, not shows - its no big deal to sit down and revisit a movie for 2 hours.

I say all that and yet there are certain shows I can't help myself from buying. FML.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zychi said:
Just curious about this.

While I'm pretty obsessive about re-watching films or even re-reading books from time to time, i rarely re-watch a television series unless it's a comedy series, because of the time investment offered, that said I'm sure in the next two or three years I'll get a strong urge to re-watch some of my favorites like the wire and friday night lights.

Speaking of which, my parents actually re-watch television shows quite often in comparison to me, they re-watched the entirely of LOST, currently working on FNL all over again, and my dad has probably watched the entire series of Babylon 5 back-to-back over 3 to 4 times.

If I do a re-watch of The Wire anytime soon (next two or three years), I don't know if I'll be able to go through the majority of season five. I'll be able to watch the last two or three episodes. But the other? I dunno.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
beelzebozo said:
i had far less luck enjoying THE SHIELD than i did THE WIRE. SHIELD felt very much like that edginess was being forced. i have heard it's a wonderful show if you can get into it, but i have been incapable of doing so thus far.

I'm towards the end of S3 of the Shield right now. I do agree that the edginess often feels forced, and the extreme machoness turned me off at first, but it's grown on me. It's just so damn entertaining, even if it's mores shallow than I like. There hasn't been a single boring episode yet, which leads to me watching like 3-4 episodes at a time.

Plus, Dutch is awesome. I probably prefer him cause I can't really relate with a megabro like Vic, but I enjoy the way he masks his insecurity with a smarmy attitude. So far the characters outside of the Strike Team, mainly Dutch, Claudette and Aceveda, have had the most depth and development.

Typically, I'll rewatch a show with the girlfriend if I liked it enough. It's a nice way to revist a good show. Right now we're watching Six Feet Under and we did The Wire before.

overcast

Borrowed Freaks and Geeks from a friend. Going through that for the first time. Just watched the Pilot, which was excellent. Excited to watch the rest of the series. Just got out of HS so it should be incredibly nostalgic/touching.

So I'm on episode 16 of Season 3 of X-Files and I have to say this season hasn't been all that great like the first two seasons. A lot of the cases I didn't find all that interesting and there are only a few early on I really enjoyed. So is this just one of the weaker seasons or is it just me?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
eternaLightness said:
So I'm on episode 16 of Season 3 of X-Files and I have to say this season hasn't been all that great like the first two seasons. A lot of the cases I didn't find all that interesting and there are only a few early on I really enjoyed. So is this just one of the weaker seasons or is it just me?

it's the opposite for me. you may be reacting to the tonal shift in season 3. more light-hearted more often.

Just started watching the Sherlock series from last year with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Holy wow. It's blowing me away right now and solidifying my belief that pretty much anything Steven Moffat touches turns to gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom