• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
started watching Person of Interest. I like the premise and the cast is good . Will keep watching, the action was surprisingly decent; Caviezel is a badarse

and he also looks like a younger Keith Richards

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Rogue on DirecTV's Audience channel. Hm. I can't really tell if it's shit or just painfully mediocre - it certainly fluctuates between the two in almost every scene. The show employs some pretty good actors, but none of them can seem to rise above material that they've been given.

Thandie Newton plays an undercover cop who is pulled out of her mission to learn that her seven year old son has been randomly killed in a drive by. However, she's convinced that her son was specifically targeted, so several months after the police prove no help, she decides to take matters into her own hands and goes back undercover to find out who murdered her son and why. She's so obsessed by her work, that her husband and angsty teenage daughter (of course there would be an angsty teenage daughter) are struggling without her at home - cue the family drama, etc., etc.

None of that works.

However, Thandie works for this crime boss guy - I forgot his name, though he has a beard! - who has this whole crime family/opposing crime syndicate thing going on that's actually mildly interesting.

Also, there's nudity. So yay for that.

Also, apparently Mexico is filled with "freshly prepared organic pussy" <------- actual quote

Started and watched all of Children's Hospital recently. There's only like, 18 episodes between the two seasons, but each episode is 10 minutes, so it didn't take long to watch the whole series. Weird, sometimes pretty funny, and entertaining.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
ah, very good, thank you. I'm in the middle of Mad Men now but some more I want to see are: The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Archer, House of Cards, Samurai Champloo, Boardwalk Empire, The Shield, Deadwood, The Sopranos

Add Justified in there after you've watched Deadwood and you hit most of the best on TV.

For comedies, Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, Party Down, and Louie, which isn't like many other shows on TV.

T Dollarz

Add Justified in there after you've watched Deadwood and you hit most of the best on TV.

For comedies, Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, Party Down, and Louie, which isn't like many other shows on TV.

I've seen Justified, Arrested Development and Louie. I'm almost done with Parks & Rec too. I love them all. Never heard of this Party Down.

big ander

Started and watched all of Children's Hospital recently. There's only like, 18 episodes between the two seasons, but each episode is 10 minutes, so it didn't take long to watch the whole series. Weird, sometimes pretty funny, and entertaining.

There are 4 seasons and almost 50 eps now, though I'm assuming only seasons 1 and 2 are on netflix or something. Up near the top of the pile for current "pure comedy" shows. There's one episode in particular (311 The Night Shift) that might be my bar for how good a TV joke is. The entire episode is funny before you know what's coming, but it turns out the whole thing has been 11 minutes of set-up for an incredible punchline.

There are 4 seasons and almost 50 eps now, though I'm assuming only seasons 1 and 2 are on netflix or something. Up near the top of the pile for current "pure comedy" shows. There's one episode in particular (311 The Night Shift) that might be my bar for how good a TV joke is. The entire episode is funny before you know what's coming, but it turns out the whole thing has been 11 minutes of set-up for an incredible punchline.

Oh nice! Yeah I should've mentioned that what I watched was only what netflix has available at the moment. That episode sounds great, looking forward to seeing more of the show. I wonder, if they are up to season 4, why season 3 isn't on netflix yet?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen Justified, Arrested Development and Louie. I'm almost done with Parks & Rec too. I love them all. Never heard of this Party Down.

Party Down is only 2 seasons, and stars Adam Scott. Great show with a bunch of terrific guest stars and cameos.

Have you seen Freaks and Geeks?

I'd also add Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, Rome, Carnivale and Oz

big ander

Oh nice! Yeah I should've mentioned that what I watched was only what netflix has available at the moment. That episode sounds great, looking forward to seeing more of the show. I wonder, if they are up to season 4, why season 3 isn't on netflix yet?
Dunno, seems to be the pattern among all the CN/AS shows that were just added to netflix. I thought I was gonna be able to catch up on Adventure Time but they only have season 1.

Currygan

just finished watching Homeland season 2. Nice finale, although less shocking than S1, but I did love
David Estes being reduced to atoms
, the arsehole got what he deserved. Still good though, now I can look forward to S3 with much anticipation

The Sopranos season 1

I haven't started writing this post yet, but spoiler warning, I guess. Probably.

Man did I have the complete wrong impression about what this show is. In my head this show was comparable to The Shield, in the sense of people doing bad things that shouldn't be found out, and they cover it up by doing even worse things which means that the total amount of horribleness is even greater and oh god there's tension in every second.

That's not what this show is at all. This show is a not-as-pretty-looking Boardwalk Empire. There's a shitton of quiet moments which are there so the louder moments would have more punch to them. Tony will get to strangle a guy, but not before we see him go check out colleges with his daughter for 30 minutes with occasional cuts to his wife who is watching a movie.

That's not a bad thing at all, as Boardwalk Empire is one of the greatest shows going right now, it's just not what I thought this show was.

I would like to see the show get deeper into what the Sopranos actually do as mobsters though, because so far it kind of seems like the writer got all of his ideas from skimming through the mafia wikipedia page once. In the earlier episodes we see the characters sitting around a table saying "Yeah, mobstuff, right?" "Yeah totally. Mobster things" before getting back to family drama.

Couple random thoughts

* He's not quite there yet, but Paulie is totally gonna end up as my favourite character. Dude needs more screentime.

* I hope there a reason they're keeping Melfi around other than so they could have their occasional inner-monologue-but-not-really scene and this-really-reminds-me-of-the-loading-screens-from-The-Darkness scene.

* Christopher's "I'm a nobody and I hate it" attitude is totally gonna lead into him doing something really stupid that makes me hate him. Shooting the baker guy was already pretty dumb of him.

Currygan

Person of Interest is brilliant. Didn't know Jim Caviezel could be such a badarse, he deffo scratches that Jack Bauer itch. Loving it, and finally a show with more than 12 episodes per season

TCRS

Banned
Finished season 3 of Mad Men and started season 4. January Jones is so fucking hot. And Sal lost her cute lisp :/

Otherwise a good start.

On season 4 of 30 Rock and they need to freshen this up a little. It has started feeling a bit too samey. By this time Community had went completely insane, and Parks & Rec had brought on Rob Lowe and Adam Scott, with Lowe ending up as one of the best characters.

Loving the constant random guest stars though.

obin_gam

Just saw the pilot of Wentworth (the remake of the Australian long going crapshow Prisoner about a womens prison.) The original was terrible, boring, and looked like it was shot-on-shiteo and I hated it.

This one was great and I highly recommend it! It's OZ with women.

ECLUE29.jpg

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The Mentalist, Dexter, Merlin. No time for much.

Grinchy

Banned
Just watched last week's Nurse Jackie.

Don't ask why I'm still watching this show because I have no idea why. I cringe through large portions of it and I fast forward through some scenes as well.

Banglish

Hay guise.. just finished season 3 of The Walking Dead, re-watched the last couple episodes of Breaking Bad, and finally caught up the last episode of Game of Thrones. Also watched this mini-series on netflix called Top Boy which I quite enjoyed. If you're into
Starting up Luther as we speak, and going to start Mad Men after that.

Bladenic

Finished Season 2 of House of Lies. Better than Season 1 but still not a great show.

Also watched all of Suburgatory. The season 2 finale was one of the worst season finales I've seen in years. If it gets canceled and that's the series finale, then it would be the worst series finale ever.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I started 30 Rock last week on Netflix. I'd seen a few random episodes here and there in the past but never really cared for it. Since starting from the beginning though I've fallen in love with it. I'm several episodes into season 2 and I think it's even better than season 1. How long does this show stay strong for?

cmr-94

Finished The Tudors and was surprised how good it was tbh. Seems to get little love on gaf but that last scene with the flashbacks definately struck a cord.

big ander

I started 30 Rock last week on Netflix. I'd seen a few random episodes here and there in the past but never really cared for it. Since starting from the beginning though I've fallen in love with it. I'm several episodes into season 2 and I think it's even better than season 1. How long does this show stay strong for?
Through season 3 and a lot of 4. 5 and 6 the quality dips a bit, but not very drastically. 7 is a spectacular victory lap.
It's one of the most consistently great sitcoms ever.

TCRS

Banned
Mad Men season 5. What a great show, I love these kind of 'slow' shows.

Don't know what I'm going to watch next, season 6 won't be online before next year I would say (netflix).

t-ramp

I watched the first two episodes of Red Dwarf on Netflix the other night with a friend. A couple good laughs to be had. On the whole it's just a decent British comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom