• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the first two episodes of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The writing is so, so bad. Someone tell me it gets vastly better, because the animation is mediocre and I'm not fond of the artstyle. I just finished Justice League: Unlimited which, while being very flawed, makes this look even worse.

The best thing about Avengers: EMH is the long running storyline plotting and continuity. Animation never really impresses, and dialogue isn't amazing, but it's still a solid show, and much better than the newer lineup from Marvel's TV output.

The best thing about Avengers: EMH is the long running storyline plotting and continuity. Animation never really impresses, and dialogue isn't amazing, but it's still a solid show, and much better than the newer lineup from Marvel's TV output.
What I have seen so far is definitely not solid. I could accept that it's building up, but the foundation thus far is quite weak.

What I have seen so far is definitely not solid.

Well, again, the best part of the show are the long running arcs. There's a sense that they knew exactly what they wanted to do with the show and never strayed from their plan until the end when Marvel started messing with it and ultimately canned the series. It's unfair to judge any show on it's first few episodes if you think they're rough, more so with animation as it takes a while to find a groove. Even something like Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't that great in the beginning (not saying Avengers is anywhere on that level.)

Keep watching. If the animation/art, and writing bother you that much, bail out. Warning though, the new Avengers + Spider Man series are much worse.

The fourth episode is kind of decent.
Was that Wolverine I saw?

The show up to and including this point is a series of character introductions, but they do a poor job of it. It would appear that they (the creative team) want the viewers to carry over some knowledge from the movies and other depictions of these characters, but that's a bad move especially from a dramatic standpoint. The information that they do regurgitate is sloppily done, to make matters worse.

Update: Episode five is back to crap and it was written by the head writer, that's always a good sign.

Just watched the second half of New Girl season 1. I fell out of watching it when it was airing for whatever reason.

Really funny show, just enough weirdness for my taste and just enough sweetness too. Will need to catch up on Season 2 now I guess. Or take the lazy option and wait for Netflix.

sruckus

I've been watching Being Human (UK). I started a long time ago, but started watching again because I got curious again how
the ghost discovering she was murdered by her bf
panned out.

It's pretty good.

oni_saru

I started watching Queer as Folk last night.

The first two episodes were okay. It was just sex, sex, and more sex! :'D

Third episode was way better and got me excited to see what happens next!

Another tv show I've been slowly but surely watching is Supernatural. I'm on season five now! I really enjoy this show. Sam has gotten a bit annoying since season four. Hopefully he goes back to being cool. I miss the old Sam. :(

TripOpt55

I am about halfway through Season 2 of Alias and it just went a little nuts. Not sure how I feel about it but am intrigued to watch more.

Also finished up the first season of New Girl which I liked a lot. Particularly Schmidt and Nick. Jess is kind of meh and I don't think it did too well during emotional moments but it sure does make me laugh.

Fjordson

Is The Pacific worth watching? I loved Band of Brothers, but I don't hear as much praise for The Pacific for whatever reason.

Watched the first two episodes of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The writing is so, so bad. Someone tell me it gets vastly better, because the animation is mediocre and I'm not fond of the artstyle. I just finished Justice League: Unlimited which, while being very flawed, makes this look even worse.

I watched like 20 episodes and no, it really doesn't. It's just so mediocre.

Vert boil

Just finished Hit & Miss,
I went in blind and probably benefited from that. An overview should be okay to read but the pre-release stuff that I've looking up afterwards are all pretty tacky and they do the show a disservice.

It's a little too heavy handed at times and falls flat occasionally it worth watching. Even though it doesn't appear that a second season will be made it ends at an acceptable place. Although Top of the Lake is superior, they both share a similar vibe and if you enjoyed TotL you should enjoy H&M.

Banshee...did this turn out to be good? I totally forgot about it and need something fun to watch.

Bloody good.

does rectify have swearing and nudity that would be censored on AMC?

just finished top of the lake.. pretty damn good

started the first ep of the fall last night too, also good so far.. really good looking people on that show

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
US version. I keep forgetting to mention that!!

Ah, cool. I've been meaning to check the US version out but I keep forgetting to. I enjoyed the UK version though.

Is The Pacific worth watching? I loved Band of Brothers, but I don't hear as much praise for The Pacific for whatever reason.

I actually just watched The Pacific! I was aware of the fact that a lot of people here on GAF disliked it or were disappointed in it, especially when compared to Band of Brothers, so I adjusted my expectations accordingly and ended up really enjoying it. It's a great show, though I don't think its narrative is as strong as Band of Brothers's mainly because it lacks the latter's focus. Nevertheless, I thought that it was very effective for what it was. Absolutely worth watching.

Banshee...did this turn out to be good? I totally forgot about it and need something fun to watch.

Fuck yes! If you're looking for fun, Banshee is the answer!

does rectify have swearing and nudity that would be censored on AMC?

IIRC, the Sundance channel is owned by the same parent company that owns AMC, and thus operates by the same censorship rules as AMC.

oh.. i was asking cause top of the lake was on sundance too but it has nudity and swearing

but i guess its a bbc thing

also i watched it on netflix i dunno if it was censored on sundance channel

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
oh.. i was asking cause top of the lake was on sundance too but it has nudity and swearing

but i guess its a bbc thing

Well, AMC shows can have nudity, although not frontal or full boobz, and they can say almost everything aside from "fuck" (it gets bleeped on air). I haven't seen Top of the Lake, so I don't know the kind of content it has in it, but I'm assuming that all the "fucks" and explicit nudity (if it has either of those things) were censored when it aired on Sundance. Of course, these things wouldn't be censored on DVD or Netflix.

TripOpt55

Wow the last half of Season 2 of Alias was all over the damn place. I was equal parts loving it and saying, "What the fuck am I watching?" Ending was kind of cool though. Excited to check out more, but I like to leave breaks between seasons so I hang on the cliff a bit. Will probably get into Orange is the New Black before jumping back on board.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just watched Empire Falls from HBO. I thought it was decent - it's got a fantastic cast - but the way in which it was filmed suggested a Disney Channel original film circa 1997 and the score was horrible - really loud and intrusive and it gave everything a sort of corny vibe. The book is probably much better.

Divius

I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch. Preferably 20-30 minutes.

I've already seen a bunch but will take any suggestions. My favorites include Arrested Development, Parks & Rec, Archer and 30 Rock.

An-Det

I just finished Angel. Such an amazing show, with some wonderful character development. Particularly Cordelia and Wesley, their paths from their origins on Buffy to their time on Angel was easily the highlight. I can't believe WB screwed the pooch and let this go after Joss's demand for early renewal, especially with Season 5 being as good as it was.

The two death scenes with Wesley and Fred/Illyria were tragic. 'Wesley, why can't I stay?' and 'do you want me to lie to you?'. So good.

Vert boil

Fantastic. Exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for, but I've already seen it :p Veep was great.

Seen Better off Ted?
-----

Finished the original version of The Bridge.

First off, those fucking doors.

I had a few issues with the american version so I watched the original instead. The US version lifts some scene's wholesale from the original so a few of the issues I had persisted but the original handles them better.

Although I've only seen one episode of the US show, the original handles Saga better. She's extremely quirky but is actually believable in the role of a detective. The american version is turned up to twelve and could only be a detective on a tv show.

It's a solid show. Nothing mind blowing but a good compulsive watch. Looking forward to the second season.
-----

It's been a while since I've watched a subbed tv show so I finally got round to watching Carlos.

Quite good, as long as you spread it out it's a nice mini series.

TripOpt55

I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch. Preferably 20-30 minutes.

I've already seen a bunch but will take any suggestions. My favorites include Arrested Development, Parks & Rec, Archer and 30 Rock.
I'll third the Party Down suggestion and add Happy Endings. First season is okay but it really comes into its own in the second. Though I'm not sure it is that similar to the comedies you listed.

UrbanRats

Watched 4 episodes of Rectify.
Shit's good.

I don't know if it's me, but a few shots were almost Malickian, for example when Daniel and Tawney talk in the field near the church, at sunset.

Only 3 episodes in but I must say that Banshee is a lot of fun. Digging the characters. Especially Proctor. Lots of action and tense moments as well. Yeah, I will most certainly be watching this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom