• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emwitus

First Episode of sherlock holmes(British series)- Since i'm not done i wont write anything about it now. But how did i not know about this show?

For the new page...

Hi there folks! If any of you post in the movie thread, you've probably seen this post asking that they move to a monthly format:
No, you haven't done anything wrong. But you've probably noticed that we've been trying recently to do more to ensure that large ongoing community-esque threads don't become too large and insular, or too intimidating for new posters to jump into. We're also trying to make the OT more consistent with the gaming side, in terms of how threads are managed and so forth.

In line with that, we're asking that if you'd like to continue with this thread, you switch to a monthly format, a la the Comics thread or the What Are You Reading thread, or the threads on Gaming for the various ongoing online services.

I suggest that you start a thread for June within a few days, at which point this one can close up shop. If you guys want to do fancy monthly spreads like the comics thread, that's fine, and if you want to do a minimalist first post and then just talk about what you're watching for the month, that's fine too.

Feel free to discuss among yourselves as to who wants to make the new thread and what form it will take, and to PM me if you have questions.
We're going to ask the same of this thread. Discussion seems a bit slower in here than the movie thread, at least at the moment, so if there's not a lot of response to this someone may want to just step up and make the thread.

We certainly don't put up a lot of posts here, but it's understandable that you'd want some symmetry between this and the movie thread. It does make me a little nostalgic since we've been using this thread since January 2009.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh, I don't really see the need to be honest. This thread has only gotten 20 posts this month - "general" TV GAF isn't anywhere near active enough to have monthly threads. Most of the TV discussion takes place in the respective show threads or topic specific threads (like pilots or cancellation) so having a "...and all the rest" thread like this one to compliment the other threads makes the most sense to me. Not really sure if it's viable to do one every month, but I guess we'll see!

Also, I can make the thread if no one else wants to. Cornballer? Anyone?

Family Guy - Latest Episode on FOX Sunday

After this episode I'm done with Family Guy. I seriously lost my shit after seeing that it was another time machine episode. Not only that but FG has just lost its flame to me anyways. All it is to me now is just a reason for Seth Mcfarlane to get himself to sing (I noticed he started singing a crap ton in FG now, the dude is in love with his voice). Also its not even about making people laugh anymore, its more about trying to see how far they can push people's buttons on jokes. What I mean by that is making very touchy jokes to see how far they can push it (ex: 911 jokes, child abuse jokes, and religion jokes etc). I never took offence to these jokes in the slightest but its hard to not notice them try to do this all the time.

At least this shortens up what I watch on Sundays animation program on FOX. Now I just watch Bob's Burgers and American Dad.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just stumbled across an apparently new tv show with Jason Priestley called Call me Fitz

wow, this show is all kinds of bad.

Vert boil

It would be a bad idea to do monthly threads, this and the movie thread are polar opposites. There is no culture or regulars here and it would just create some unnecessary work once a month for someone and then a few months down the line a mod would pop in and ask that monthly thread were stopped.

We don't know yet of community will continue to be a death sentence for smaller threads but I would expect a move there would have the opposite effect, drive-by posts that fuel the thread would slow down and the thread would become insular because only subbed people would post/know it existed.

Does anything really need to be done with this thread? It feels like the thread has just been caught up with a decision that has been made about problems in other thread that don't occur here.

0.01 pence

isoquant

I started and finished Season 3 of Workaholics this week. Enjoyed the show so much more than I thought I would.

Are Seasons 1 & 2 as good? (Even if the answer is no I'll probably check them out at some point)

It's had ~1500 posts in the last year, which seems reasonably active, but it does look like it's been a bit lower recently. And I can see how most of the discussion would be getting sucked up by other threads. Do you guys think the thread might be better off in Community rather than being a monthly thing?

I dunno. There really isn't a community going on here. I pop in every now and then, which seems to be the case with most people.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, to be honest, the females. ;P

Hehe, that's understandable. I do love me some Sophia Bush

MTAx3fK.gif

I've moved the thread for now, and if you'd prefer to switch to monthly instead, please let me know.

Bueno! :D

TripOpt55

I watched about 7 seasons of One Tree Hill but never finished it. I'd like to one day. I watched that much of it I should really see it through. It is so cheesy sometimes it hurts.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I watched about 7 seasons of One Tree Hill but never finished it. I'd like to one day. I watched that much of it I should really see it through. It is so cheesy sometimes it hurts.

Aw, and you only had one (shortened) season to go! Shoulda stuck with it; there were a lot of crazy delicious plot lines in the final season.

TripOpt55

Aw, and you only had one (shortened) season to go! Shoulda stuck with it; there were a lot of crazy delicious plot lines in the final season.

Well I didn't watch them on TV. I was borrowing the DVDs from my friend who loved the show, but he didn't get the most recent DVDs (Maybe I only watched 6 seasons, pretty sure I had at least 2 left). I have since got Netflix which I could watch it on. I just need to jump back in I guess. Hopefully I will finish it up one day. I think I may have even ended on a cliffhanger... haha. I think they were at a ski resort in the last one I watched.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the first episode of Rectify tonight, I really liked it. I read reviews beforehand that mentioned it was a slow burner, but the episode didn't feel all that slow to me. It really kept me emotionally invested the entire episode, and I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of the first season.

Abigail Spencer is beautiful.

I think I want to start watching The Killing. How are the first two seasons? I remember hearing about people being let down by the series 1 finale. So yeah, worth watching overall?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I love her voice so much.

I love when
Dan redeems himself. And Nathan forgives him.

dem tears man

hehe, yeah. I'm impressed that they were actually able to
redeem Dan - not just in the eyes of the other characters, but also in the eyes of the audience.

I think I want to start watching The Killing. How are the first two seasons? I remember hearing about people being let down by the series 1 finale. So yeah, worth watching overall?

You need to look at the first two seasons as two halves of a single story. The main mystery isn't solved at the end of the first season like everyone expected, but everything is solved by the end of the second. Season one is pretty meandering and it also has a lot of red herrings, which, combined with the anticlimactic finale, caused a lot of people to stop watching. Season two fixes a lot of season one's problems (but not all of them) though and wraps most of the storylines up nicely.

The one thing that has remained consistently great across both seasons is the acting - the actors are great across the board. The unrelentingly dreary atmosphere is also very well done.

The upcoming third season, which will have a self contained story, has an almost entirely new cast (outside of the two leads) and focuses on a new investigation.

You need to look at the first two seasons as two halves of a single story. The main mystery isn't solved at the end of the first season like everyone expected, but everything is solved by the end of the second. Season one is pretty meandering and it also has a lot of red herrings, which, combined with the anticlimactic finale, caused a lot of people to stop watching. Season two fixes a lot of season one's problems (but not all of them) though and wraps most of the storylines up nicely.

The one thing that has remained consistently great across both seasons is the acting - the actors are great across the board. The unrelentingly dreary atmosphere is also very well done.

The upcoming third season, which will have a self contained story, has an almost entirely new cast (outside of the two leads) and focuses on a new investigation.

Thanks for the info. I think I will start it tomorrow and see how it gels with me. AMC has done me good so far so it's at least worth a shot. I am guessing I will be glad I waited till now so I can gobble it up on Netflix streaming.

Hoplatee

I would not waste your time with it. I started watching it after I knew how much it was 'hated' and knew that S2 was better but it still was really average at best.

The pilot was pretty decent so I thought people were just wrong. Around episode 4 I knew they weren't so I just had to keep watching it to see how 'bad' it would get. And it does get a lot worse. There is so much time wasted on exactly nothing in that show. Not once, not twice, no, around 10000 times. You'll notice it pretty fast. S2 does get better at the end but never really enough to make it worth your time in my opinion.

The Danish version is much better. I don't consider it really great either but I do prefer it over the US remake.

e) changed some stuff

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Started watching Homeland. Saul's my constant, so dreamy. However, I started thinking Jessica was hot but now I can't unsee Michael Cera for some reason.

SEdAphq.jpg

TripOpt55

June is here. I usually try and tackle a series or two (depending on the length of said series) each summer when June begins and most of the network stuff I watch is over. Today I started Alias. Enjoyed the first episode. I think depending on how I take to this show, I may try and catch up on Sherlock and maybe try Mad Men.

awm8604

Banned
Orphan Black.

Just finished the first season which had its finale this past Saturday. An amazing surprise from BBC America. The best new show I've seen in a while.

Interesting, short article about TV composers having to change their style up a bit because of binge watching:

- Variety: Binge-Viewing Gives Composers New Headaches

Random aside, I do wonder if we'd benefit from having monthly threads over in the OT for stuff like this (similar to the movie threads). I come across a few articles each week that are worth discussing in a general thread, but probably don't merit a new thread on their own. I'm not sure where to post that stuff at the moment, but I guess here is the best bet for now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Random aside, I do wonder if we'd benefit from having monthly threads over in the OT for stuff like this (similar to the movie threads). I come across a few articles each week that are worth discussing in a general thread, but probably don't merit a new thread on their own. I'm not sure where to post that stuff at the moment, but I guess here is the best bet for now.

Maybe we could try it for a few months and see how it goes?

Maybe we could try it for a few months and see how it goes?
I think I'm going to post stuff in this thread during June, and we'll see how much content/interest develops. If people want a monthly thread where we can discuss these topics, then we can make one.

Anyway, an article from this morning:

- NPR's Linda Holmes: The Critic, The Viewer And The Episode Dump

Discussion of binge-watching, reviews of pilots, and other things on the minds of critics these days.

One more article:

- Matt Zoller Seitz: Should Netflix Shows Be Considered ‘Television’?
Younger readers may not remember this debate. It began heating up in the mid-nineties when cable channels such as HBO produced dramas, comedies, movies, and mini-series that were good enough to crowd the networks' similar offerings out of their Emmy categories. The broadcast networks argued that the cable channels had an unfair advantage because they had fewer contract restrictions and tended to make shorter seasons that were easier to plan out; both made it more likely that original and consistent popular art could be made on cable.

I think it's possible to make a similar argument about streamed shows that go up all at once. They're meant to be viewed all at once, and they're conceived like a very long movie, and produced that way, too — which is different from the production of a broadcast or cable network series, which is spread out over a much longer period and requires a lot more improvisation on the part of writers and crew.

Bazza

Decided to check out Continuum the other week, was up to date in 3 days. Really enjoying it I wish there were more episodes per session. Rachel Nichols is cute, nice to see a fair few actors from the various Stargate series's pop up.

Gonna be interesting to see how things are going to develop after
reveal to Carlos
, Kellog is an interesting character i really like he is relativity neutral, I hope he doest go darkside I want him to walk the line between black and white but ultimately doing the right thing. If he goes bad then he will eventually be brought down.

big ander

A couple recent blog posts that might be of interest to TV GAF:

- Film Crit Hulk on spoilers and how we consume art

After the intro it's more directed towards discussing film, but most of the points apply to tv as well. I like the way he writes, but the all caps gimmick drives me nuts sometimes. I typically use this to convert it.

I love FCH. Found that to be a pretty good piece if only because its main point is to slow down and just discuss, we jump into that "x is a spoiler y isn't spoilers suck spoilers DON'T suck" war too quickly when there's really no answer.

As for the Seitz– I've been wondering if a new term will evolve for "television". I could see people using "series" more frequently maybe, as a catch-all to describe all serial pieces whether they're delivered all at once or over years and years. But who knows.

- Onion A|V Club Crosstalk: Embrace the mystery: Is repeat viewing the best way to approach complex TV? *some Game of Thrones discussion/spoilers*

I love FCH. Found that to be a pretty good piece if only because its main point is to slow down and just discuss, we jump into that "x is a spoiler y isn't spoilers suck spoilers DON'T suck" war too quickly when there's really no answer.
Agreed. I liked his advice on slowing down and his concerns about how we're losing discussion as a larger group as viewing 'pockets' become increasingly fragmented. He sort of lost me when talking about the four levels of artistic consumption, though.

big ander

Agreed. I liked his advice on slowing down and his concerns about how we're losing discussion as a larger group as viewing 'pockets' become increasingly fragmented. He sort of lost me when talking about the four levels of artistic consumption, though.
Yeah I'm not clear on why dividing consumers into those four specific categories is necessary or how he decided to do it. but the intent, to point out that everyone is coming from a slightly different position when viewing and we should do our best to understand that in discussion, is nice.

Salsa

hey GAF I have some free time coming up and with Mad Men's season ending I only have Dexter and Breaking Bad ahead of me in terms of TV so im gonna buy and jump in into something new (and among the highly revered) that I havent checked out yet. Now help me pick where to first:

The Shield
Deadwood
The Killing
Justified
The Americans

I kinda expect the responses to be mostly between The Shield or Deadwood, right?

also I could just give up on slowly going through the GOT books and just watch Season 2 already

hey GAF I have some free time coming up and with Mad Men's season ending I only have Dexter and Breaking Bad ahead of me in terms of TV so im gonna buy and jump in into something new (and among the highly revered) that I havent checked out yet. Now help me pick where to first:

The Shield
Deadwood
The Killing
Justified
The Americans

I kinda expect the responses to be mostly between The Shield or Deadwood, right?

also I could just give up on slowly going through the GOT books and just watch Season 2 already

1. Deadwood
2. The Shield
3. Justified
4. Catch up with Game of Thrones
5. The Americans
6. 24
7. The Killing

In that order.

1. Deadwood
2. The Shield
3. Justified
4. Catch up with Game of Thrones
5. The Americans
6. 24
7. The Killing

In that order.
I don't know where I'd put GoT in there (depends on your preferences for medium, etc...) but the rest of that list is how I'd set it up. It also matters if you want to watch current shows or ones that are already completed.

Vert boil

Over the past week or so I've been re-watching some recent (gettin' old) british comedies.

Made it through The IT Crowd, The League of Gentlemen and The Office (dawwwww). I'm so used to US version that I completely forgot about the name of the uk paper company. I was expecting them to say Dunder Mifflin.

Just started The High Life. I was shocked to find out that there are only six episodes and a pilot. I remember watching quite a bit more when it first aired.

Black Books is up next.

Watched the first two episodes of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The writing is so, so bad. Someone tell me it gets vastly better, because the animation is mediocre and I'm not fond of the artstyle. I just finished Justice League: Unlimited which, while being very flawed, makes this look even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom