• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

From a retail standpoint- My store has more pre-orders for Twisted Metal than Uncharted 2 or 3 ever got. =O

Really intrigued to hear things like this. That ShootmyTruck promo is closing in on 1 mill views on Youtube too.

It's strange, I see such little discussion/coverage/hype for this both on official TM forums and the internet, yet you hear things like this from Amazon and retails.

Can't wait to see the numbers

Bruiserk

Didn't get a chance to pre-order mine yesterday. Maybe today, but definitely before Tuesday! I wonder if there is going to be a midnight launch at my local Bestbuy...

The potential reviews make me think of this Goldeneye review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-zAljF4B0#t=13s

"Nintendo has emphasized that Goldeneye is not just another Doom clone. This may be true, but Goldeneye hardly redefines the genre."

"Beating the game is impossible on the higher difficulty levels. Do yourself a favor; don't even try them. You still get an ending with low difficulty and as far as we know the ending does not change with the difficulty."

"The ending is pretty stupid. It reflects the lack of emphasis on cinematic sequences in the game. There are very few cinematic sequences in the game."

"You will surely want to change from the default controls to make the game handle more like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. The control is not flawless, no matter what the setting."

"If you beat the game on the hardest mode you will unlock hidden levels for the 4-player minigames, which we can't show you because we only have one controller. And frankly we don't care about the multiplayer stuff; nobody buys a game specifically for multiplayer options."

That was all a joke, right? Because It was funny

RagnarokX

From a retail standpoint- My store has more pre-orders for Twisted Metal than Uncharted 2 or 3 ever got. =O

Is your store in a juggalo camp? :p

That was all a joke, right? Because It was funny

No, I did a little research when these videos first went up and as far as I can tell they were made by a guy named George Wood who had a game review show on TV back in the 90s. He and another guy started this bogus organization called the National Academy of Video Game Testers and Reviewers and they have an annual awards ceremony where developers have to pay them if they want to receive their awards. Recently George Wood has faked his death or something.

You should watch the rest of his videos. Most of them are just as bad. I especially recommend the Tomb Raider 2 review.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I don't think my local GS stores are going to open at midnight to sell them. So I am debating waiting until Tuesday morning or going to Wally World at midnight and buying.

Is the 30 days early access to Axel a new buyer bonus or only preorder? Have they confirmed whether he's freely unlocked after 30 days or paid DLC?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
No joke, people are coming in with more interest on this than anything ever before. Remember, Twisted Metal has left a permanent imprint in our childhoods =)

Well sir, that is dang neat news! So happy to hear that. I really, really, really wish I could be all like 'game comes out Tuesday, whatever- meh'...but dude, shitting bricks right now. :)

Square Triangle: is your store inside ESP hq?

Really hope this game is a huge hit.

Lol. Not that it matters but it's a Metro Detroit location.

I hope so to, I think it's hilarious how a pre-order bonus for Twisted Metal is a $10 coupon for 1-800-FLOWERS.

Well sir, that is dang neat news! So happy to hear that. I really, really, really wish I could be all like 'game comes out Tuesday, whatever- meh'...but dude, shitting bricks right now. :)

my nearest Gamestop is populated with employees who "never turn on their PS3's," and TM is all I've heard them talk about lately. "finally a game that's going to make me dust off my PS3!"

then again almost every time I go in there they're talking about a new game that's going to make them "dust off their PS3," so I dunno if that even means anything.

my nearest Gamestop is populated with employees who "never turn on their PS3's," and TM is all I've heard them talk about lately. "finally a game that's going to make me dust off my PS3!"

then again almost every time I go in there they're talking about a new game that's going to make them "dust off their PS3," so I dunno if that even means anything.

My co-workers are the same way, something is being pumped through the vents. It's annoying as hell.

Hmm, how do games with a car focus generally sell in Detroit?

I've never lived nor worked outside the state but we are kinda known for automobiles ;) but I think that has zero effect on the sales. Just people really interested in TM. I mean GT5 and Forza sold like crap at my location but every Need for Speed is like the second coming.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.

Great to hear! This time I hope it's the truth! Appreciate the update from the front! :) I keep wanting to go into my own Gamestop and ask them but frankly I'm too embarrassed :).

My co-workers are the same way, something is being pumped through the vents. It's annoying as hell.

One of the guys at the one I go to, almost every time I'm just in there browsing I hear him going on about how he thinks the Dualshock sucks for first person shooters and that he only uses his PS3 for Netflix. Then the next time I go in, he's all happy because there's finally this game that's going to make him dust off his PS3! There seems to be about 3 games a week or so that's going to make him dust it off. I wonder just how dusty it is. Does he dwell in a vacuum hose?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lol. Not that it matters but it's a Metro Detroit location.

I hope so to, I think it's hilarious how a pre-order bonus for Twisted Metal is a $10 coupon for 1-800-FLOWERS.

oh? Detroit? well i would figure a place like detroit would enjoy smashing cars into other cars

remist

Never played a twisted metal game, so this has been completely off my radar. Just watched some gameplay videos and a few interviews and decided to preorder. Been looking for a new multiplayer game to get into and this looks interesting.

ElRenoRaven

That is what Sony told me yesterday. Unless something changes- always could (hell, demo was supposed to STILL be up! :)- expect it to hit our website Monday eve!

David

Sweet. I know I have no artistic ability but by god I will find a way to get the skin I imagine in my head created lol.

I think TM1, TM2, and Black each sold around a million, with 3 and 4 selling less.
Even 3 & 4 were million plus sellers.

AlaRAcxCEAAtQDC.jpg

You'd think that people living in Detroit would buy games to escape reality.

Metro Detroit is not Detroit. I use that term because people outside of Michigan just think there is only one city in the entire state. I get it though, a Detroit joke, "Hah!".

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Speaking of SKIN CREATION TOOL, just posted this over on the TM GAMESPOT forums, seemed relevant:

Twisted Metal's Skin Creation Tool works two ways:

1- EASY WAY: go to our website and use the site tool which lets you:

a- pick 1 of the game's 17 vehicles

b- select a base color

c- put stickers and decals on top of the base color or upload your own images (yes, multiple).

d- use the top down, unwrapped skin texture to slide your images around on the car OR let the tool help you by guiding you to areas of the vehicle (side panels; top of car; hood;etc.) to customize.

e- As you customize, there is a low poly version of the in game model (needs to be low poly so it runs fast in browser) that is updated in real time so you can see the effect your customizing has on the vehicle itself.

This option is for fast creation and folks who want to express themselves but have no paint program and/or artistic skills.

2- HARD WAY: download the unrapped skin texture file to your paint program and do whatever you want. I am pretty sure you can ever remove the grunge layer from the vehicle (not sure if that stayed in or not, but last I checked it was in).

When you are done (with either option) upload it to the site, name it, and let the world see it. You can- from there- pubish it to your PSN account and it's waiting for you in the CUSTOM PAINT SHOP when you load up the game next (assuming it's connected to PSN). Others can download your skins or you can password protect them so only you can use them or just you and your friends/clan can use the skins you've made.

Something to note: Every vehicle is NOT created equal. Because we have so many unique vehicles and drivers and gunners, memory was at a premium in the game and so SOME vehicles share texture locations. For example, some of the cars share the same texture on left and right side door panel, while others had the memory to have a totally unique texture on each door. So there will need to be some noodling and playing around to get it looking perfect. The idea is hard core artists will be excited to spend lots of time making super cool stuff that the community will take into the game to show off and the less ambitious can use the web tool to get logos and images on their vehicle super fast and they'll be able to express themselves but just not as well. Very cool tool but pretty 'garage band' in terms of feature set. It's very powerful and neat but don't go in expecting LITTLE BIG PLANET or MODNATION level of polish and finish cause that ain't this. BUT you WILL be able to do pretty much whatever the hell you want with this thing (baring the memory issues I spoke of!

David

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of SKIN CREATION TOOL, just posted this over on the TM GAMESPOT forums, seemed relevant:

Snipped for length

David

HOLYSHIT! I can't wait to play around with this stuff. Just to see what real artists can do and what people with no talent like me can too will be interesting.

wcw

Neo Member
For those asking about sales history of Twisted almost every Twisted has sold a million copies. TM1 went just over a million, TM2 was the highest selling one with just over two million, and TM3, TM4, Twisted Metal Black, and the PSP Twisted Metal (IF you include the PS2 port copies) all broke just over a million.

I think that Small Brawl is the only one that didn't clear a million and that was a PS1 game that came out a year after the PS2 was out. To top it off is was a spinoff.

This game will clear a million but how much beyond that is up to a whole lot of things. Hopefully for Twisted's sake it clears 2 million.

ElRenoRaven

For those asking about sales history of Twisted almost every Twisted has sold a million copies. TM1 went just over a million, TM2 was the highest selling one with just over two million, and TM3, TM4, Twisted Metal Black, and the PSP Twisted Metal (IF you include the PS2 port copies) all broke just over a million.

I think that Small Brawl is the only one that didn't clear a million and that was a PS1 game that came out a year after the PS2 was out. To top it off is was a spinoff.

This game will clear a million but how much beyond that is up to a whole lot of things. Hopefully for Twisted's sake it clears 2 million.

Yup. Even now you can find new copies of Small Brawl so who knows. By now it might be past a million too.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
AlaRAcxCEAAtQDC.jpg

Metro Detroit is not Detroit. I use that term because people outside of Michigan just think there is only one city in the entire state. I get it though, a Detroit joke, "Hah!".

Damn you. I have feelers out to multiple Gamestops in the area to get my hands on that thing.

Endo Punk

Even though Sony is not making it easy for the Euro gamers I really wish the best of Luck to Jaffe and his team at ESP for success in the European market. I really want this game to make it big here, I know I will be supporting it and I made sure one of my friend gets it as well, demo convinced him :)

I started with race controls but my muscle memory for the original control setting began to itch so I went back to classic and I have to admit it actually helped my game a lot more. Much easier to race and turn with [] and X, also switch weapons with L1 and R1.

wcw

Neo Member
Hm... anyone think TM will sell 2 million on PS3?

Depends on reviews, Sony's advertising push, and if the online is solid out the get go (No lag, matchmaking, and connection issues). Its a good lock to break a million. But how far beyond that will be determined by those factors.

Let's help build a custom playlist, Gaffers

What's everyone's favorite song from the demo and what is your ideal custom playlist going to be? I know PS3 doesn't do custom music yet, but we can dream ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBtVQ0TxWA This song from the game, I love so much. Cruising down the road, and getting into the chaos with this blaring feels awesome. It just fits so perfectly. I feel like putting on my sunglasses whenever it comes up. Compton from NWA is also so badass. Oh, and Rob Zombie is a given.

Would love some custom suggestions, I don't normally listen to this kind of heavy music, but I am wanting to build an awesome set for Twisted Metal

I know I am putting in Superbeast my Rob Zombie for sure, perhaps the whole TM3 tracklist, but outside that I don't have a clue.

Top Bottom