• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

TMB averaged 91% and it was a difficult game, especially for newcomers. I realize that was 10 years ago and the game industry has changed a lot, but it would still really surprise me if this game received negative, or even mixed reviews. I'm not sure why Sony are so hesitant to have review scores released before the game goes on sale.

Have you listened to any recent podcasts regarding Twisted Metal? These supposed "journalist" claim this is an IP that was great in the 90's and it should have stayed there. In their opinion there is no need for a "car combat" game in this day.

I'm actually not looking forward to the reviews.

Unicorn

TMB averaged 91% and it was a difficult game, especially for newcomers. I realize that was 10 years ago and the game industry has changed a lot, but it would still really surprise me if this game received negative, or even mixed reviews. I'm not sure why Sony are so hesitant to have review scores released before the game goes on sale.

Well, reviewers review things less on their actual feeling about it, and more on what the average joe (who reads their review) will think. (Think the Paper Mario:TYD Review from GameInformer).

I think a handful of the big outlets will knock points off for accessibility. They'll say, "well, it's not for everyone because you have to learn the controls," like it's Steel Battalion or some shit, "but for those die-hard few and fans, this a must own. 7/10"

Or there will be the small outlets that will say, "you know what, fuck you, you need to learn to play this game. The reward in properly learning the game goes beyond metadata like Pokemon stats, the intricacies of the game are crucial to your enjoyment. If you don't have fun with the gameplay, it's your fault for not putting in the time to learn it. again, fuck you. 10/10 Review written by David Jaffe Jr."

It could be like if reviewers weren't aware Fighting games have intricate systems, "The AI has these ridiculous moves they can do, like cancel their moves and do another one. Why can't I do that? Why make a game where I'm meant to lose? 6/10"

Mostly, I'm looking at GameInformer and IGN. IGN with their God Hand with a 3/10, GI with F-Zero GX getting an 8/10 for saying the challenges are unrewarding when completed, etc.

Basically, numerical reviews are horseshit, catering to your reader-base, trying to push sales, etc. need to be out of the system.

ElRenoRaven

Decided seeing the Jaffetars that we needed one more added to the group. So whoever wants it can use good old Jaffetooth
wVBvj.jpg

Pranay

Well just pick the one which you have seen and ill request one more time to change it. <_<

But please hope the OT tag discussion doesnt make the thread go completely offtopic

Seeing as how this game is mature rated, do we get to see Dollface's tits?

That's actually kind of funny... cuz something similar occured in TMB

While driving Shadow, you highlight the "special weapon" in your inventory, hold all four trigger buttons (L1,L2,R1,R2) then press triangle three times. Raven the driver will pop out completely nude with black bars covering her naughty bits. Its the X-rated version of her alternate special (highlighting special weapon and pressing Up, Up, Up)

Maybe some similar easter egg for this game? :)

wcw

Neo Member
Well, reviewers review things less on their actual feeling about it, and more on what the average joe (who reads their review) will think. (Think the Paper Mario:TYD Review from GameInformer).

I think a handful of the big outlets will knock points off for accessibility. They'll say, "well, it's not for everyone because you have to learn the controls," like it's Steel Battalion or some shit, "but for those die-hard few and fans, this a must own. 7/10"

Or there will be the small outlets that will say, "you know what, fuck you, you need to learn to play this game. The reward in properly learning the game goes beyond metadata like Pokemon stats, the intricacies of the game are crucial to your enjoyment. If you don't have fun with the gameplay, it's your fault for not putting in the time to learn it. again, fuck you. 10/10 Review written by David Jaffe Jr."

It could be like if reviewers weren't aware Fighting games have intricate systems, "The AI has these ridiculous moves they can do, like cancel their moves and do another one. Why can't I do that? Why make a game where I'm meant to lose? 6/10"

Mostly, I'm looking at GameInformer and IGN. IGN with their God Hand with a 3/10, GI with F-Zero GX getting an 8/10 for saying the challenges are unrewarding when completed, etc.

Basically, numerical reviews are horseshit, catering to your reader-base, trying to push sales, etc. need to be out of the system.

I think that Twisted will actually get good reviews. Some will cite the cheap AI and controls and give it a lower score. But if you get paid to play games professionally the controls and AI won't be much of an issue. Good reviewers will give the game a good or fair score (If there are any complaints they will be legit).

The controls aren't hard. Yeah it takes a couple matches to get use to, but what game doesn't? There is so much surface appeal and depth to this game, any reviewer worth their salt will see that.

Didn't Jaffe say the difficulty would be more forgiving in the retail release? There's a degree of difficulty, sure, but it's not going to have that initial barrier that the demo did.

ElRenoRaven

If we need more Jaffetars

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/sevxsev/J1.png?t=1328991642[IMG] [IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/sevxsev/J2.png?t=1328991742[IMG] [IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/sevxsev/J3.png?t=1328991761[IMG] [IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/sevxsev/J4.png?t=1328991781[IMG][/QUOTE]

For those who may not be into the cult of Jaffe here is one for you.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SzrjQ.jpg

Pranay

Nice Avatars, Got My PS Installed, will try to contribute from my end.

@Phsycoraven and others

Anything missing in the OT which is worth adding, Do tell me =)

Nice Avatars, Got My PS Installed, will try to contribute from my end.

@Phsycoraven and others

Anything missing in the OT which is worth adding, Do tell me =)
Something that bugged me just a little bit is that you grouped all 5 missile types simply into "Missiles"

The actual list is:
Swarm Missiles
Stalker Missile
Homing Missile
Fire Missile
Power Missile

That's just a nit-picking thing though.

Oh man we really need jaffe and co to add a scaled down version of this guy into the game.

Mean.. Come on! who doesn't want to play/fuck shit up as him!

265_large.jpg

Definitely agree, a scaled down version would kick ass. That and a few other things I've seen that are pretty much in the game already (sorta) would make for great DLC if it sells enough.

Also check out this guys portfolio, pretty cool (but may contain spoilers). I see you're a Dollface fan,

604_large.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just figured I'd drop in this thread, and say that I'll be picking this game up in the next week or so ... even though I've never purchased a Twisted Metal game before.

This is the type of game that doesn't get made anymore; a pretty niche title that requires significant time investment to get good at, and is still difficult. Graphics that focus more on the gameplay than wow-ing you in screenshots. And a revival of an IP with a small but dedicated fanbase that managed to get a decent budget. Finally, Sony was wise not to send it out to die during the holidays, and instead released it at a more opportune time.

I don't know how much I'll play it; but a game like this deserves success in a sea of doom and gloom shooters and generic third person action adventures. I'll be doing my part to insure this game is successful. I hope you fans get to enjoy another sequel in the near future! :)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Have you listened to any recent podcasts regarding Twisted Metal? These supposed "journalist" claim this is an IP that was great in the 90's and it should have stayed there. In their opinion there is no need for a "car combat" game in this day.

I'm actually not looking forward to the reviews.

While nervous, I'm also very excited about the reviews because I'm curious if the game's heartbeat- the multiplayer- beats as strongly for reviewers as it does for me, the team, and many folks who seem to have really enjoyed the MP of the demo. I feel the mp- local and split- is so strong that even if it shipped at 60 bucks with NO CAMPAIGN- the game would be well worth the price and more. But the parts that make me nervous- when it comes to reviews- are:

1- will others see the depth and breadth and tactics and strategy and longevity in the MP that we do and review (and rate) the game accordingly? Or have we not done a good enough job leading new players into the deeper ends of the swimming pool and thus they will review the MP simply on the loud and crazy and fun (but ultimately base and simple and limited) shallow end of the pool? Both views are valid- I feel we have a very fun shallow end of the pool but the same pool gets very very deep- but it's on us to have made the transition from shallow to deep enjoyable and noticeable for the new player and we have zero way of really knowing (till the embargo lifts) if we've done that.

2- IF a reviewer (or player) sees the deep end of the pool, I am very very confident players will feel this game is well worth 60 bucks and MORE for ONLY the MP. IF a player doesn't see the deep end (again, this would be our fault...the excuse of them just not 'getting it' is our failure...it's our job to make sure they 'get it') and he's left with only the awareness of the shallow end of MP and our campaign (a campaign that - as I've said-is more varied than any other TM campaign we've made but does have it's issues and it is NOT meant to go toe to toe with campaigns like BF3 or Uncharted 3), then I think we will be looking at 'meh' scores.

My hope is many reviewers see the MP as not just good but amazing, so amazing that they feel it's an easy BUY recommend. I stand strongly by the statement I've been making to the press for months: in terms of fun factor, gameplay, and value, I will easily and with zero hesitation (hell, I'll do it with relish and excitement) put our in game multiplayer (not meta, but in game) up against any MP game that's launched in years. Will we win that fight? Dunno about that but- in my biased opinion- it would be a hell of a great - and fair- fight!

David

I'm waiting for the third Twisted Metal University video to feed my appetite.

I wonder how deep this game goes into strategy, and I really hope that specific stats for each car make it into the final game.

For example, all vehicles seem to do different Ram damage, they all fill up the Special meter at different times, some vehicles drop stronger mines than others, stronger EMP blasts than others, the energy meters all fill up differently, they all have different jump heights, I think they all have different physic weights in the sense that you can't flip over Darkside the same way you can flip over a Death Warrant, they all have different handling, speeds, armour, etc. Anything else I'm missing? Would be cool if, like Talon, some vehicles, like Axel, can access some parts of the map other vehicles can't, such as small tunnels.

RagnarokX

While nervous, I'm also very excited about the reviews because I'm curious if the game's heartbeat- the multiplayer- beats as strongly for reviewers as it does for me, the team, and many folks who seem to have really enjoyed the MP of the demo. I feel the mp- local and split- is so strong that even if it shipped at 60 bucks with NO CAMPAIGN- the game would be well worth the price and more. But the parts that make me nervous- when it comes to reviews- are:

1- will others see the depth and breadth and tactics and strategy and longevity in the MP that we do and review (and rate) the game accordingly? Or have we not done a good enough job leading new players into the deeper ends of the swimming pool and thus they will review the MP simply on the loud and crazy and fun (but ultimately base and simple and limited) shallow end of the pool? Both views are valid- I feel we have a very fun shallow end of the pool but the same pool gets very very deep- but it's on us to have made the transition from shallow to deep enjoyable and noticeable for the new player and we have zero way of really knowing (till the embargo lifts) if we've done that.

2- IF a reviewer (or player) sees the deep end of the pool, I am very very confident players will feel this game is well worth 60 bucks and MORE for ONLY the MP. IF a player doesn't see the deep end (again, this would be our fault...the excuse of them just not 'getting it' is our failure...it's our job to make sure they 'get it') and he's left with only the awareness of the shallow end of MP and our campaign (a campaign that - as I've said-is more varied than any other TM campaign we've made but does have it's issues and it is NOT meant to go toe to toe with campaigns like BF3 or Uncharted 3), then I think we will be looking at 'meh' scores.

My hope is many reviewers see the MP as not just good but amazing, so amazing that they feel it's an easy BUY recommend. I stand strongly by the statement I've been making to the press for months: in terms of fun factor, gameplay, and value, I will easily and with zero hesitation (hell, I'll do it with relish and excitement) put our in game multiplayer (not meta, but in game) up against any MP game that's launched in years. Will we win that fight? Dunno about that but- in my biased opinion- it would be a hell of a great - and fair- fight!

David

As you know, GAFers generally don't have a high opinion of games journalism. Reviews don't sway most informed gamers and exist as a sport to watch and laugh at which reviews say the dumbest and most controversial things. The worrying thing is there are fewer gamers that are informed about Twisted Metal and reviews might hold more stock with more people than more popular games. Many people I talked to wouldn't even give the demo a chance and instantly wrote it off. Given the various previews recently from various games journalists, expectations are very low that they will give this game a fair chance and explore all of its facets. Twisted Metal is likely to get docked simply because it does break the mold; see all of the complaints about the default controls not being like every other game with cars.

The news about Twisted Metal climbing on Amazon has me more optimistic that despite the bizarre stigma attached to the series and likely less than stellar professional reviews the game will be a cult hit that spreads on word of mouth. I hope this game does extremely well and I wish you the best of luck. The demo was an absolute blast.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
As you know, GAFers generally don't have a high opinion of games journalism. Reviews don't sway most informed gamers and exist as a sport to watch and laugh at which reviews say the dumbest and most controversial things. The worrying thing is there are fewer gamers that are informed about Twisted Metal and reviews might hold more stock with more people than more popular games. Many people I talked to wouldn't even give the demo a chance and instantly wrote it off. Given the various previews recently from various games journalists, expectations are very low that they will give this game a fair chance and explore all of its facets. Twisted Metal is likely to get docked simply because it does break the mold; see all of the complaints about the default controls not being like every other game with cars.

The news about Twisted Metal climbing on Amazon has me more optimistic that despite the bizarre stigma attached to the series and likely less than stellar professional reviews the game will be a cult hit that spreads on word of mouth. I hope this game does extremely well and I wish you the best of luck.

A- love ur avatar!:) Hell, I love them all!

B- agree with the optimism. Really hoping for a strong word of mouth to propel us to at least some definition of success. We are incredibly proud of the game and the warmth the demo received on GAF has us feeling that perhaps we're not alone in feeling the game offers players a lot of fun and depth! Much appreciated!

David

I'm waiting for the third Twisted Metal University video to feed my appetite.

I wonder how deep this game goes into strategy, and I really hope that specific stats for each car make it into the final game.

For example, all vehicles seem to do different Ram damage, they all fill up the Special meter at different times, some vehicles drop stronger mines than others, stronger EMP blasts than others, the energy meters all fill up differently, they all have different jump heights, I think they all have different physic weights in the sense that you can't flip over Darkside the same way you can flip over a Death Warrant, they all have different handling, speeds, armour, etc. Anything else I'm missing? Would be cool if, like Talon, some vehicles, like Axel, can access some parts of the map other vehicles can't, such as small tunnels.
That all seems right on but I think every vehicles energy moves are the same (mines do same damage, EMP has same effect) but obviously from TMU #1 the amount of energy and recharge rate vary with vehicle as well as how long it takes to break an EMP blast, like you said.

During the Machinima stream they were using Kamikaze and squeezed between two of the dynamic walls on Black Rock Stadium just barely, surely anything bigger would never make it through. This'll really come in handy when you're getting bullied on by bigger vehicles.

Lots and lots of different stats to keep in mind. Agreed that they should put something on the website or in game with actual numbers to make it easy to compare.

quest

Not Banned from OT
thank you all to who gave the TM2 on PSN a thumbs up. I downloaded and god I suck and am out of practice lol. I will play the hell out of TM2 until the new one comes out be good practice. It is so damn fun but I need to do better job of avoiding mosh pits lol.

ElRenoRaven

A- love ur avatar!:) Hell, I love them all!

B- agree with the optimism. Really hoping for a strong word of mouth to propel us to at least some definition of success. We are incredibly proud of the game and the warmth the demo received on GAF has us feeling that perhaps we're not alone in feeling the game offers players a lot of fun and depth! Much appreciated!

David

Don't worry David you guys aren't. Games like the ones you guys have made over the years really liven things up. I've see so many of the zany non cookie cutter game franchises or games die off or not get sequels due to the demand for the next shooter, racer, or yearly sports game that it hurts to think of them all. I just thank god that at least one of them has survived all these years and that in a couple days I'm getting to play something that isn't just another cookie cutter game.

Beardz

I bought my PS3 because of Warhawk... and like someone said, Twisted Metal is my new Warhawk. If I didn't have my PS3 already, I would buy one just for this game.

rdrr gnr

David
I think it's nearly impossible review a multiplayer game based on its depth and breadth, given how reviews are actually done. Most reviews of MP-heavy games boil down to incredibly superficial criteria that are judged in a small amount of time:

1) # of maps
2) # of gamemodes
3) # of weapons/classes (in this case, vehicles)
4) # of unlocks or levels (which in the 'journalist' world equates to depth)

They can't, without dedicating a substantial amount of time, gauge how balanced and nuanced the mechanics of a game actually are. So I do think that the review will be relegated to the 'shallow end of the pool.'

Pretty sure but been too busy to even think to ask for them.

Are you projecting higher sales in US or rest of the world?

Incrdible game, btw. I didn't expect anything as nearly as feature-packed or polished. I'll be sure to pick it up when I clear a part of my backlog and get some time to invest into the multiplayer.

RagnarokX

thank you all to who gave the TM2 on PSN a thumbs up. I downloaded and god I suck and am out of practice lol. I will play the hell out of TM2 until the new one comes out be good practice. It is so damn fun but I need to do better job of avoiding mosh pits lol.

The hardest levels are Moscow and Holland.

Moscow is really small, and both arenas have very little cover. Holland has you take on 9 opponents. Antarctica can be challenging too because of the stage falling apart, but opponents can die that way too so you can use it to your advantage.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The hardest levels are Moscow and Holland.

Moscow is really small, and both arenas have very little cover. Holland has you take on 9 opponents. Antarctica can be challenging too because of the stage falling apart, but opponents can die that way too so you can use it to your advantage.

Ya I just need practice and memorize the levels again. I beat the game in the old days with most of the characters. Figure this would be great practice and have a blast.

David

I really hope this game gets a good sized audience. The demo really scratched an itch that had not been since TM Black. I so hope that there is a good online community for years to come.

Also, I think this game has real power to reach people that don't normally buy many games. I have 4 different friends who literally NEVER get excited about games. I mean these guys buy like 1 game every 2 years. Yet they are all super excited to get Twisted Metal next week.

This game comes with a sweet tooth skin for Warhawk as well as Twisted Metal Black right?

The download for TM:B is only on the first pressings of the game I believe. So the first shipments to retail are the only copies that come with Black. So if you want your copy to have Black, you'll have to pick it up on the first day/week most likely.

I think it's nearly impossible review a multiplayer game based on its depth and breadth, given how reviews are actually done. Most reviews of MP-heavy games boil down to incredibly superficial criteria that are judged in a small amount of time:

1) # of maps
2) # of gamemodes

They can't, without dedicated a substantial amount of time, gauge how balanced and nuanced the mechanics of a game actually are. So I do think that the review will be relegated to the 'shallow end of the pool.'

This x100

You cannot expect reviewers to take an in depth look into the MP anymore. In fact, in general, I read some reviews from last gen and before and they are so much better written and detailed than reviews now. They scratch the surface and are done with it. It amazes me how horrible most seem to be at online MP too, and it amazes me even more how little they know about even the basics of a multiplayer games

RagnarokX

1) # of maps
2) # of gamemodes

They can't, without dedicated a substantial amount of time, gauge how balanced and nuanced the mechanics of a game actually are. So I do think that the review will be relegated to the 'shallow end of the pool.'

The potential reviews make me think of this Goldeneye review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-zAljF4B0#t=13s

"Nintendo has emphasized that Goldeneye is not just another Doom clone. This may be true, but Goldeneye hardly redefines the genre."

"Beating the game is impossible on the higher difficulty levels. Do yourself a favor; don't even try them. You still get an ending with low difficulty and as far as we know the ending does not change with the difficulty."

"The ending is pretty stupid. It reflects the lack of emphasis on cinematic sequences in the game. There are very few cinematic sequences in the game."

"You will surely want to change from the default controls to make the game handle more like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. The control is not flawless, no matter what the setting."

"If you beat the game on the hardest mode you will unlock hidden levels for the 4-player minigames, which we can't show you because we only have one controller. And frankly we don't care about the multiplayer stuff; nobody buys a game specifically for multiplayer options."

Top Bottom