• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Bruiserk

Not sure if Nuke is the mode for me. Did very poorly in that Jaffe room until the third round where I switch to Death Warrant. Still did poorly but managed to get a nuke off and into the statue's face so I wasn't totally worthless to my team. Most of the game was spent running around, being too late, getting lost, failing to spot stairs and failing miserably at hitting anything in the air. I know about right stick aiming but seriously, if it's in the air, I can't hit it.

I feel the same way. Maybe I just haven't had any good matches but it always seems too long to hold my interest until the end.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Newly discovered fact - Mr Grimm, not so hot as a Nuke mode vehicle. I did not do my team any favors while playing as him the first two rounds. Not sure what the best vehicles are however, but Kamikaze seemed much better suited for the mode.

But I will continue destroying w/ Mr Grimm in any DM game

Yeah, I can't speak as to how effective Grimmy is since I haven't unlocked him yet, but I'm starting to get the feeling that TM is not going to be about rolling with your favorite character. I mean, it's not one of those games where you can just pick a favorite, get good at him, and then just expect to do well on the majority of maps / modes. Rather, if you're playing to win, you'll need to pick the character suited to the mode / map. I will say that from my time with the demo, Grim was pretty good on defense in Nuke. You have a decent amount of speed and since your opponent will be confined to a relatively small area - you'll have an easier time flamesawing their a$$.

If true, I understand why they did it - but I would have preferred the former, especially since I like Grim and Kamikaze.

I loved playing as Reaper in Nuke in the demo... haven't tried it yet in the full game, but I expect I'll still find him quite useful in that mode. No doubt it's a difficult vehicle to master.

KuroNeeko brings up a great point about the vehicles though. Something that's really impressed me with the new TM is how you can't just get good at one vehicle and expect to do well in any map/mode. There's a lot of situational use with each vehicle, and the ability to change vehicles during the match can be a great help to a skilled player as they respond to the flow of the match. It's awesome that the game has that level of depth, and very rewarding to the player who takes the time to learn each vehicle.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I had other posts, you know? I've also elaborated that I like how the game looks and plays for what it is, but there is no way this game doesn't look dated.

You're playing on 7 year old hardware, is that your definition of dated? Because you might as well leverage that complaint at any console game that comes out these days.

If the large interactive and destructible levels filled with 16 vehicles and characters moving at blazing speeds with constantly flying projectiles at a steady frame rate doesn't impress you then you need to set more realistic expectations. It's silly to say it looks like a budget game. I'm sure with a budget like whatever Uncharted gets they could do more, but you're never going to get Uncharted level visuals with the type of game Twisted Metal is trying to be.

RagnarokX

Newly discovered fact - Mr Grimm, not so hot as a Nuke mode vehicle. I did not do my team any favors while playing as him the first two rounds. Not sure what the best vehicles are however, but Kamikaze seemed much better suited for the mode.

But I will continue destroying w/ Mr Grimm in any DM game

Best vehicles for nuke:
Offense: Crimson Fury
Defense: Talon, Axel

During the first Jaffe game I was rocking Axel when we were on Defense, then killing myself before the round ended to switch to Crimson Fury in time for the Offense round. I got 3 or 4 nuke hits and killed a lot of enemies trying to sacrifice.

David talks a lot. He always has. Also odds are he's damn stressed by it and he's not afraid to show that. He's also being honest. You can't spin what it is to be a positive when it's clearly a huge negative. This franchise isn't a huge series. Never has been. At the same time it's been out of the limelight for 10 years. If a franchise ever needed some tlc and support from the IPs owners it was this series. The way Sony's handled the entire launch has been shitty. Let's be honest here and recap.

1. Demo with the same broken ass online.
2. Sony promised to fix demo yet doesn't
3. Sony promises to extend demo yet doesn't
4. Sony assures that it won't happen with Retail yet it does
5. Not one fucking ad anywhere to be seen.
6. Skin tools promised days before launch and don't come out till days after.
7. Sony changes time for that to be up time and time again.
8. Game and Demo both actually crash some PS3's and make others overheat.

Need we go on? He is right and honest to say that what is going on is shitty because it is. I'm sure he's not alone in thinking that. I'd put my money on the rest of the ESP team feeling the same way. Hell most of fans are thinking that. Go and look at the tweets he's getting. Some are pretty fucking vile. The whole thing is beyond fucked up. The saddest part is that he and the ESP guys are taking all the blame while Sony themselves don't say a fucking word or man up and come out and take responsibility for their large part of this debacle. All this is made worse by the fact that this isn't the first time either. Sony manages to do this shit every goddamn time they launch a fucking game.

So I applaud him for manning up and saying you know what this shit fucking sucks and you're right to be pissed. He's not filling us full of shit like other developers do. He's not making excuses like the other developers do. He's being honest and that's very fucking refreshing because it shows that he's a goddamn human being and not some uncaring bastard who's just out to make a goddamn buck fans be damned.

Now that said it's late here. I'm off to bed. Hopefully we'll get that patch tomorrow and it will fix most of the problems. I just really hope that all of this shit hasn't seriously hurt a franchise that I've loved since game one.

Well said. Game is such a blast when it works. One of the more refreshing online games this gen.

On another note...LA Skyline is my favorite level so far, especially when you have 2 Sniper rifles ready to go. ^_^

Apoc87

Banned
I hate trial-by-error in video games.

Dollface's checkpoint race on normal. I failed at least 50 times.

Gold Starred that bitch, though. I will never look back.

Why does the Hunted have to kill other players? I'd imagine they'd get points for simply outlasting the other players' constant barrage of attacks...

Scoring should also consist of those who kill the Hunted, but the Hunted should get x points for y amount of time alive

I hope Collector from Black/Halo comes back, will there ever be more modes?

AEREC

I hope the patch goes live today...between the freezes and how long it takes to get into a game, I dont even want to bother trying.

Damn shame too...when Im online Im having the most most fun in an online game that Ive had in a while.

J-Rod

I get the impression that Sony was backing this game then at some point along the line just quit giving a crap at all and quit putting money and resources into it. I also get the feel that two different teams made the game, because some parts look fancier/different artistically for lack of a better description than others.

Really looking forward to unlocking tier 2 vehicles. It's been fun so far, but I'm tired of playing the meat wagon game.

OSHAN

I hope the patch goes live today...between the freezes and how long it takes to get into a game, I dont even want to bother trying.

Damn shame too...when Im online Im having the most most fun in an online game that Ive had in a while.

Same here. I only had about 30 minutes to play last night and I only got one game in.

DirtyLary

I get the impression that Sony was backing this game then at some point along the line just quit giving a crap at all and quit putting money and resources into it. I also get the feel that two different teams made the game, because some parts look fancier/different artistically for lack of a better description than others.

Really looking forward to unlocking tier 2 vehicles. It's been fun so far, but I'm tired of playing the meat wagon game.

I think the VITA took priority in advertisement.

Just as bad as games releasing the same week as MW.

ElRenoRaven

Yea. I myself just decided to take a break till it's fixed. I'm just going to be patient and wait. Till then when I get the urge I just do a game or two of challenge mode and get my fill that way.

How exactly are all these connection issues SONY's fault and not the fault of the actual developers?

Yeah ESP is getting a free pass here and it's funny to me. The demo was broken, there is no excuse for a broken game to be released afterwards. To constantly deflect blame to Sony is funny. I can play other Sony published games online just fine.

Cactus

Banned
How exactly are all these connection issues SONY's fault and not the fault of the actual developers?

Yeah ESP is getting a free pass here and it's funny to me. The demo was broken, there is no excuse for a broken game to be released afterwards. To constantly deflect blame to Sony is funny. I can play other Sony published games online just fine.

I could be wrong, but haven't the issues been 100% confirmed to be on Sony's end?

I could be wrong, but haven't the issues been 100% confirmed to be on Sony's end?

So SONY reps themselves have said it's their own hardware fault? All I've seen is people taking David's word for it. Yet no other SONY hosted game is having any issues, yet even the demo for the game had ton of problems. It really seems like it's all the games fault itself and until it's patched I doubt we will see improvements.

Cactus

Banned
So SONY reps themselves have said it's their own hardware fault? All I've seen is people taking David's word for it. Yet no other SONY hosted game is having any issues, yet even the demo for the game had ton of problems. It really seems like it's all the games fault itself and until it's patched I doubt we will see improvements.

Sony reps wouldn't say anything either way.

It could very well be ESP's fault, but I have no reason to disbelieve David at this point in time. Sony has had serious launch-week issues with their servers in the past.

newjeruse

Whose idea was it to have no beta?

Whoever decided that is largely at fault.

Dollars-to-donuts Starhawk doesn't have these issues when it comes out.

I think ESP deserves the benefit of the doubt but I am a little confused. This game had a long dev cycle. It was delayed once. There is no way this didnt happen in testing. As much as I dont want to admit this, it should have been delayed again. Even if it was missed in QA, they knew about it in the demo. They also had to know it wasnt fixed when they launched. I tried to play last night and couldnt get in.

What really makes this nuts is the people who can play have leveled up and unlocked all kinds of shit. I'm am getting killed online when I get in because I can never get in so there is a huge skill gap going on now. I didnt like unlocking cars to begin with. The lobby needs more communication without the filtering. (Since filtering ensure you wont get in a game)

Unicorn

Last night I couldn't even log on to the TM servers when I turned the game on. Was only able to choose LAN in multiplayer. I ended up just playing a round of Challenge then spent the rest of my night watching some Game of Thrones. Hoping to play tonight online, though. FIX YO SHIT SONY

The demo, with how messed up it was, actually worked better for me than the final game. I probably played about 30 games online with the demo, I haven't been able to play 1 full match online with the final game. Also, with all these problems, I bet it kills any hope of DLC for the game. That's partly due to the problems and partly because it seems like Sony doesn't give a fuck. Which is sad, because the game is awesome.

The demo, with how messed up it was, actually worked better for me than the final game. I probably played about 30 games online with the demo, I haven't been able to play 1 full match online with the final game. Also, with all these problems, I bet it kills any hope of DLC for the game. That's partly due to the problems and partly because it seems like Sony doesn't give a fuck. Which is sad, because the game is awesome.

Again how do we know it's Sony that doesn't get a fuck and not ESP who should be fixing their game?

Any other first party game that released and had issues was the game itself that the devs had to take care of with updates. Ever since the demo had issues it's been all blamed on Sony? Sony just hates this game for some reason? ESP has no control over the game now somehow?

Problems have been going on for some time now, as said a beta should have caught this stuff.

Again how do we know it's Sony that doesn't get a fuck and not ESP who should be fixing their game?

Any other first party game that released and had issues was the game itself that the devs had to take care of with updates. Ever since the demo had issues it's been all blamed on Sony? Sony just hates this game for some reason? ESP has no control over the game now somehow?

Problems have been going on for some time now, as said a beta should have caught this stuff.

Oh, I have no idea on who's fault it is. I don't know nearly enough about the technical aspects of this stuff to speculate. I only suggest that it seems like Sony doesn't give a fuck because they didn't extend the demo a bit longer and because their ad campaign is pretty weak for the game. Though I realize they're in full Vita mode. Also, although there may have been one I haven't seen, wouldn't it be good policy for Sony, as publisher, to make an announcement that they will fix the problem soon, regardless of who gets the real blame? The game is their brand after all.

ElRenoRaven

I'll tell you how we know. During the shoot my truck live stream there was a Sony rep there with David and he admitted that the problem is on Sony's end. That's how we know. Speaking of the problems David tweeted that at 3 Pacific time today he has another meeting with Sony and will have a new update after that.

Demo worked better for me too. Rarely had issues joining games, though the games I was able to join, probably half ended early as people were booted out. Retail game started out well, last couple days I haven't been able to join anything. Going to be a pain in the ass to platinum this game when there's a trophy for winning a game online 30 days straight but the online play is broken.

AwShucks

Whose idea was it to have no beta?

Whoever decided that is largely at fault.

Dollars-to-donuts Starhawk doesn't have these issues when it comes out.

I love Twisted Metal so I can look past the issues for now. I've played a ton of the Starhawk beta and it DOES NOT have these issues.

So you're probably right. I'll take those donuts.

Best vehicles for nuke:
Offense: Crimson Fury
Defense: Talon, Axel

During the first Jaffe game I was rocking Axel when we were on Defense, then killing myself before the round ended to switch to Crimson Fury in time for the Offense round. I got 3 or 4 nuke hits and killed a lot of enemies trying to sacrifice.
Don't count out Road Boat either. Can't tell you how many times on defense the opposing team was about to get a time extension by having the leader in the ring only to get pull back by my magnet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I love Twisted Metal so I can look past the issues for now. I've played a ton of the Starhawk beta and it DOES NOT have these issues.

So you're probably right. I'll take those donuts.
I got network errors on Starhawk too. The thing that really hurts TM is the lack of drop-in / drop-out games. No one wants to sit in a lobby, especially when it takes like 10 tries to even get in one.

I got network errors on Starhawk too. The thing that really hurts TM is the lack of drop-in / drop-out games. No one wants to sit in a lobby, especially when it takes like 10 tries to even get in one.
Go to your filter options and limit it only to servers currently in "Game Room" which is the lobby.

Whoever thought these races in campaign were a good idea needs to be shot. I could see one too break things up but they are so frustrating I cant imagine anyone playing them for fun. Its like you are just trying to get through them.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Lulz.

Hey question: what's the difference between "Suggested Games" and "All games"?

I want to use the all games filter because my suggested list is about half the servers of the full list

There may be other differences that I haven't noticed, but the big one is that "Suggested Games" won't display games that are currently in progress, so it won't try and throw you into a lobby that you'll be forced to sit in until the current game ends. I almost always leave it on Suggested Games for that reason alone, unless I'm looking for a very specific game to join.

Endo Punk

There needs to be a demo with no MP in the store for Euro gamers. Sony needs to promote this game heavily here after the delay, and without a demo it's not going to get the attention.

10dollas

Banned
Hey who do I gotz to friend in order to join in on the GAF mayhem? My gamer tag is either i0dollas, iodollas, or 10dollas heh...

is there any reason the TWO people on my friends list whom I want to invite to an in-game party don't show up in the game list and I have to manually type in their names?

Top Bottom