• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Off topic: Watching episode 2 of the Tester, Jaffe is in it lol. Man, these contestants suck, I wish I was on this show.

They are even playing Twisted Metal, pretty cool self promotion

ElRenoRaven

Off topic: Watching episode 2 of the Tester, Jaffe is in it lol. Man, these contestants suck, I wish I was on this show.

They are even playing Twisted Metal, pretty cool self promotion

Yea. It was a great episode. I love it everytime David's on. He doesn't sugarcoat shit and it's hilarious how it rubs some of these whiny idiots the wrong way.

Riposte

I would love to see hardcore strategic discussion for Twisted Metal, since I don't know what it looks like. I briefly looked through that TMA site, but didn't really get a good idea.

With the MP so broken, I really wish they'd shipped the game with a more fleshed out SP mode. I played for 40 minutes last night and made it 80% of the way through Sweet Tooth's story. If each SP campaign takes roughly 1-2 hours to complete, why on earth are there just 3 of them.

And while cutscenes are a neat homage to the stuff we lived through in the mid-90s, I can't help but feel they should have done a graphic novel/comic book approach a la inFamous.

AwShucks

I would love to see hardcore strategic discussion for Twisted Metal, since I don't know what it looks like. I briefly looked through that TMA site, but didn't really get a good idea.

My hardcore strategy? Haul ass around with Mr Grimm, freeze people and flame saw them then unload whatever other weapons I have and kill them. Sometimes it takes reversing and dropping mines as well, but people fall for that so easily it's great.

It's so damned fun.

Riposte

With the MP so broken, I really wish they'd shipped the game with a more fleshed out SP mode. I played for 40 minutes last night and made it 80% of the way through Sweet Tooth's story. If each SP campaign takes roughly 1-2 hours to complete, why on earth are there just 3 of them.

And while cutscenes are a neat homage to the stuff we lived through in the mid-90s, I can't help but feel they should have done a graphic novel/comic book approach a la inFamous.

Playing on a harder difficulty naturally makes things longer. But I suppose that doesn't count does it?

EDIT: Also I think they imagine players will mess find enjoyment in making their own games and playing against the AI that way. "Challenges" they call it, though it is totally free form so it is not what you'd expect. It is definitely a game about a set of mechanics first and a structure second.

RagnarokX

There are just 3 because originally this was a mp-only psn title. Sony asked ESP too late in development to make it a retail game with single player. ESP had already created a system with 4 factions and gunners in passenger seats. Making more characters would eat up too many resources.

BHK3

Banned
Diablo Pass

Talon

27-1

2820 exp

I sat by the highway using my special just getting poach kills and strong kills. I literally never let go of R2 because my killstreak kept giving me more special and more energy to sheild. Most broken vehicle in the game confirmed.

Unicorn

Diablo Pass

Talon

27-1

2820 exp

I sat by the highway using my special just getting poach kills and strong kills. I literally never let go of R2 because my killstreak kept giving me more special and more energy to sheild. Most broken vehicle in the game confirmed.

I thought it was super stupid they added a helicopter anyway. I still haven't played as him, aside from being forced to in Story, and even then I fucking just wanted to stop playing. TM and Helicopters is just wrong. It's all about the car chases, mang.

Diablo Pass

Talon

27-1

2820 exp

Maybe, put perhaps you were playing against "noobs." I have yet to have an issue with Talon so who knows, still only one week in.

Helscream

Banned

Well there is some hardcore strategy out there. It just takes the effort for everyone pool in our collective knowledge.

Two quick examples;

Roadboat+Reaper combo

Use Roadboats magnet to hold a enemy in place while reaper nails them with a flaming chainsaw. And if Roadboat is able to charge the magnet and send them flying in the air. Just kill the player with fire/homing missiles.

Talon+Outlaw (Or Roadkill) combo

Use Talon's magnet to carry Outlaw/Roadkill up in the air and unleash their alt special and bombard enemies below with blood missiles.

There really are a lot of possibilities out there. But I doubt we will ever get to explore those possibilities in ranked games. Maybe in a unranked game. But all the combos are endless.

Diablo Pass

Talon

27-1

2820 exp

I ALWAYS felt this! You think Diablo Pass will be bad? Imagine LA Skylines!

I think Talon is definitely more exploitable than most others. Hell, even Juggernaut is more balanced

Talon's special is ridiculously too strong IMO, "freeze and ram" works when Talon players are new, but now they sit way up high, snipe, use their special from way up high where other players either cannot reach them, duck and weave at the moment of possible death (sure, all vehicles do this, but some maps make it much easier for Talon than others). It's easy for a moderately good Talon player to dodge freezes from afar without using a shield too, I find.

Yeah, a good team can rid of a Talon player, but they just spawn again and do the same thing, it's annoying to constantly take them out. I hate focusing on them but I feel like I must because if I dont, no one else does (in non-party games, you Gaffers are great)

Only good strategy is Talon vs. Talon, but it sort of ruins the idea of "unlocks are just as balanced" and IMO, a Talon vs. Talon fight does not necessarily mean those Talons would bother with each other. I know it's good to play with teams, but when playing solo, I get frustrated being the only one paying attention, at least that's how I feel. A majority of the time I find Talon just annoying, but the game is still young and people are still discovering how to host lobbies

I really feel that Talon needs a tweak, specifically his special, whether its how fast they regenerate it, how much damage it does, how much ammo per special, or a combo of all three.

/rant

Helscream

Banned
I ALWAYS felt this! You think Diablo Pass will be bad? Imagine LA Skylines!

I think Talon is definitely more exploitable than most others. Hell, even Juggernaut is more balanced

Talon's special is ridiculously too strong IMO, "freeze and ram" works when Talon players are new, but now they sit way up high, snipe, use their special from way up high where other players either cannot reach them, duck and weave at the moment of possible death (sure, all vehicles do this, but some maps make it much easier for Talon than others). It's easy for a moderately good Talon player to dodge freezes from afar without using a shield too, I find.

Yeah, a good team can rid of a Talon player, but they just spawn again and do the same thing, it's annoying to constantly take them out. I hate focusing on them but I feel like I must because if I dont, no one else does (in non-party games, you Gaffers are great)

Only good strategy is Talon vs. Talon, but it sort of ruins the idea of "unlocks are just as balanced" and IMO, a Talon vs. Talon fight does not necessarily mean those Talons would bother with each other. I know it's good to play with teams, but when playing solo, I get frustrated being the only one paying attention, at least that's how I feel. A majority of the time I find Talon just annoying, but the game is still young and people are still discovering how to host lobbies

I really feel that Talon needs a tweak, specifically his special, whether its how fast they regenerate it, how much damage it does, how much ammo per special, or a combo of all three.

/rant

Well I will say that his Minigun turret is too damn strong for the mobility Talon has. Being in the air gives you the perfect vantage point to pretty much make every weapon you have as accurate as possible. So the only way you can really fuck with a Talon player is to go inside a building. Other than that your always open to attack. Like the Swarmer missiles always have the habit of crashing into the ground while using them. As with Talon it is coming straight from above so those Swarmers have a better vantage point to make contact. Talon is probably the most effective on LA Skyline/Diablo Pass. The only thing I can say is really just keep an eye out and try to hit Talon from as far as a distance as possible. Because the downside with being in the air you very vulnerable to getting hit. So if the team learns to focus fire on Talon he should go down real fast.

ScOULaris

After spending some more time with the game, I will concur with those of you who are saying that Talon needs to be nerfed. I'm starting to see players really exploit his strengths to the point where, on certain maps, he's way too dominant.

After spending some more time with the game, I will concur with those of you who are saying that Talon needs to be nerfed. I'm starting to see players really exploit his strengths to the point where, on certain maps, he's way too dominant.

Eh, IMO it was obvious from the start that maps like Diablo's Pass and Skylines would completely favor Talon over anything else. And like the guy above says, his turret really has zero repercussions

I am trying to do the Endurance trophy, 50 kills in endurance. Can that be 1 v 1 or does it have to be max vehicles? Any tips?

KuroNeeko

I'm nowhere near the level of skill, time played, or percentage unlocked that you guys are at, but I wonder Talon's strength is stemming from people not having the appropriate countermeasures unlocked. I haven't seen Talon in any of my games yet, but I have seen a crapload of Junkyard Dogs. :(

Liberty4all

Banned
Once talon players get to know where the megagun pickups are it gets even worse for those on the ground ... a good talon player uses tbe minigun special combined with megagun to start a killstreak and that replenishes mega gun .... megagun is even better than the mini special as you get an even better rate of fire without losing third person manouverability and visibility .... plus talon can easily access all hard to reach health pickups, sniper rifles, etc etc etc

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm nowhere near the level of skill, time played, or percentage unlocked that you guys are at, but I wonder Talon's strength is stemming from people not having the appropriate countermeasures unlocked. I haven't seen Talon in any of my games yet, but I have seen a crapload of Junkyard Dogs. :(
Isn't Talon weak against the sniper rifle too?

Liberty4all

Banned
Isn't Talon weak against the sniper rifle too?

ive been using talon alot to whore/grind up the xp ladder ... especially now while there arent as many players with it unlocked to counter with. usually somebody who targets talon with a sniper rifle dies to that talon player. i know i make it a priority to kill players on roofs.

I wanted to give Talon the benefit of the doubt but personally i think its OP.

BHK3

Banned
Eh, IMO it was obvious from the start that maps like Diablo's Pass and Skylines would completely favor Talon over anything else. And like the guy above says, his turret really has zero repercussions

I am trying to do the Endurance trophy, 50 kills in endurance. Can that be 1 v 1 or does it have to be max vehicles? Any tips?

Pick the football stadium map at sunsprings.

1v1

Pick a big vehicle, put the AI on normal, but health semi, just use the sniper rifle to 1 hit kill them. It'll take you about 25-30 minutes.

Talon's counter is Death Warrant and Roadkill, but those are sort of generic cars with generic specials so you hardly see anyone use them. But when they do, the fully charged special last so long that there's no way Talon can shield through it all.

Also starting to grow on Roadkill. Initally thought it was a useless car, for 10 hitpoints less you get Kamikaze which is faster and has a better special. Everytime I attempted to lay waste to an opponent with the blood missiles I'd lose a good chunk of my own while trying to hold aim on them for the entire 5 seconds. Then I realized Roadkill's special can acquire a lock from really far out so if you keep range it can actually be quite deadly. Still not sold on Roadkill but gonna keep trying.

Tokubetsu

Talon's counter is Death Warrant and Roadkill, but those are sort of generic cars with generic specials so you hardly see anyone use them. But when they do, the fully charged special last so long that there's no way Talon can shield through it all.

My biggest problem with Talon is mainting my reticule on him.

I discovered something and dont know if its been posted here.
If you shoot the Big Crane thats damaged in the Skyline stage, the Iron ball will hit a building, making it fall and unlocking a new part of the stage.
Shoot the Blimp too for another building to fall off.

Teknoman

Maybe they're waiting for the game to be playable online. So it may take a few months.

Every time I check the thread and see something like this...it makes me rethink getting it before a price drop. Is the online still plagued with connection errors or something?

10dollas

Banned
I think a good nerf for talon would include:

Reduce the autoaim on the megagun a bit.
Significantly reduce the range of the minigun's lock-on targeting
Reduce how far the minigun can angle down
Cut his boost bar to a fourth of what it currently is, so that he doesn't practically have unlimited boost

This would constrain his ability to cheese, while still maintain his much needed strengths that compensate for his fragility and lack of agility (he's definitely the most mobile of all the vehicles, but he's not very agile).

Talon's special is good, but it doesn't need it to excel. Mega Guns and Homing Missiles will result in about the same amount of damage, and thanks to killstreaks, you're able to continuously receive Mega Gun, Turbo, Energy, and eventually weapons. If you're able to pick off cars fast enough that they can't really damage you when you have your shields up, what does it matter that you wasted 150 mega gun ammo and all your energy? You just got it all right back.

Unicorn

Also, Jaffe said he'll upload the update video once his kids go to bed. He just left his lobby, so I assume he's putting them to bed or uploading the video now.

Announcer in Black Rock Stadium: "This makes about as much sense as Twisted Metal 3"

I had a chuckle, but then it repeated like 6 times during the match.

I swear to god I just played a game where THREE freaking Talon players were rocking sniper scopes. Frustrating as all fuck playing FFA, trying to aim at these assholes only to get constantly shot by everybody else.

That said I did come second so it's not like they are vastly dominant, but it was a flat map. Curious to see how scores end up in levels like Diable Pass, because I am sure what BHK3 did is easily repeatable

I also hope ESP can implement unlocking things during the lobby screen, I dont like backing out of a good server

RagnarokX

ive been using talon alot to whore/grind up the xp ladder ... especially now while there arent as many players with it unlocked to counter with. usually somebody who targets talon with a sniper rifle dies to that talon player. i know i make it a priority to kill players on roofs.

I wanted to give Talon the benefit of the doubt but personally i think its OP.

Talon is only OP until enough people learn to target it and unlock turbo dash. Seriously. In a room full of good players it takes skill to stay alive with Talon. What annoys me playing as Talon is that the lock on for his special is really crappy. It'll target someone else for no reason, lose target, refuse to target someone right in front of me.

Unicorn

Talon is only OP until enough people learn to target it and unlock turbo dash. Seriously. In a room full of good players it takes skill to stay alive with Talon.

THAT'S fucking why. I was like "fucking motion controls never work," but now I know I was just slamming my junk like an idiot for nothing.

Top Bottom