• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch troll tries to donate $50k then chargeback as a prank. It ends bad.

Platy

People worried about this kid:

His Twitter hints that he has very well off parents (his "first" birthday gift of the day was a $200 workout bench), and he's poking fun at his $1010/month payments for this little stunt. He talks about blowing $4000 like it's nothing.

So, yeah.

This quote destroyed any "aww poor dude" ...

Yikes on all accounts.

For the unaware, the PayPal Chargeback Fee to the party getting paid is $20 USD per transaction. So in the case of anyone getting 10 chargebacks, the minimum is $200 that the person/company that got paid initially has to pay PayPal, and that's in addition to whatever monies that have been removed. Getting $10k in donations over 8 transcations coats that streamer $10,160 at minimum.

So I imagine many people here are in defense of the 'prankster' because the donations were to Twitch streamers, but the only way this could be worse is if it were another business where they came away with physical goods. Either way, the intent was malicious and the guy is of age to be prosecuted.

"His life shouldn't be ruined because of this." He tried to ruin someone else's. If PayPal did deny the chargebacks, he has to pay that money back and hopefully will have learned a valuable lesson in "teh LULs".

And this quote made me go "This dude is EVIL"

Lets look at some things here.

He is 18. I was in Iraq at 18, so don't even try the "he's just a kid" card.

He waited a month to attempt the charge back in hopes that these streamers would have already spent the money and he could fuck them over. Stand up guy there.

He stole a credit card from him parents unless its his. We don't know that part of this.

He puts this on youtube trying to benefit from other people's demise. Again, what a stand up guy and a valuable member of society.

I say fuck him. There are consequences to your actions. His action was to try and ruin other people's lives and to grow his channel in the process. Fuck him, there should be no charge back, he should be $50,000 in debt. The streamers shouldn't have to pay back shit. They did nothing wrong.

Strike

Serves him right. That money will do a whole lot better in their hands than it probably ever would've done in his.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Last year someone sent me 3 payments through YouTube Fan Funding that ended up being around $200.

6 months later (almost to the day) those charges were mysteriously refunded (some credit cards give you 6 months to do a chargeback)

The YouTube FAQ page literally says "Fan Funding voluntary payments are non-refundable"

I don't owe any money, but it fucked up my analytics AND I can no longer use Fan Funding because it says I'm at -$200, so anytime someone throws in a buck it just chips away at that.

Had repeated emails with YouTube support trying to get it fixed, but after 8 months I gave up.

In short, fuck people like this.

Hugstable

Banned
lol dude deserves it if he was planning on pulling some shady shit like chargebacks weeks after the fact. Congrats to all the lucky recipients!

Come on man, the kid is underage and just an internet troll with a lot of money. Let's not exaggerate what he's done.
What's exaggerating? This 18 year old could have ruined the lives of tons of streamers if the chargeback had worked, by trying to wait until they had spent money before taking the money back, not to mention the extra fees PayPal charges the recipient when a chargeback happens.

Johndoey

Banned
So i'm willing to excuse a lot of shit 18 year old kids do. However he is clearly old enough to understand the financial consequences of his actions, so fuck him.
Don't screw with people and their livelihoods.

T.O.P

Banned
Well you decided at some point that what you thought was important enough that you made a post expressing it, so there will be people who care about what you posted and respond accordingly. If you didn't want that to happen, then next time don't post.

Respond accordingly meaning -> "Shes a girl streamer so there is already some that instantly don't like her."

I said i'm unhappy that she ended up getting money out of this, also added why a couple of post later

But the dude above just need to point it out that people supposedly don't like her because she's a girl and

Then why bring up that she got some good fortune and then go ugg, like it somehow affects you that something good happened to her. You don't like a streamer, that's fine, no need to go around saying stuff like that. I don't like her either, you don't hear me going "ugh why did she have to get money from this jackass"

So should i express what i think about the situation or what?

Because that reads more like "why not just shut up?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_XlIrVDQ8

and treats twitch like myfreecams but yeah the gender is the issue.

^

She has no place on twitch

Its hard to feel bad for someone that dumb. So happy he didnt get his money back. Hope that teaches him a lesson.

If donating large sums of money with the intent of never paying up is apart of troll cutlure, then i hope this happens more.

If you are using money as a weapon to troll you dont deserve the money. And you seem like you are someone who is bad with money.

Steejee

He stole a credit card from him parents unless its his. We don't know that part of this.

I'll repeat something I've said a few times:

This likely wasn't going to a credit/charge card. I have an excellent credit score and even I couldn't charge remotely close to $50k to a single card, or even several cards, as limits on individual cards simply don't go that high if you're not talking something like an AMEX Black or equivalent, which all require six figure yearly *spending* to get. I'd have to max out my three cards, and my wife's cards to hit 50k if I didn't go right into Debit or pay them off immediately and recharge.

I have to believe this was cash in the bank or in Paypal, either his parent's or an absurd allowance he'd stashed.

So I don't expect he'll get debt from this, but he should get one giant lesson.

brawly

I find it hilarious how that Hearthstone streamer didn't blink an eye at that 6k donation but the next one made her dance lol.

Second girl was adorable too. Worth it for the video. Thanks Nexus!

statham

If I got gifted a couple of thousands, I would spend it on a nice vacation, to comeback and find it got refunded and I'm out $2k for a vacation I probably couldn't afford. Screw the guy. Hard lessoned learned,and probably caused alot of twitchers grief with there bank accounts. Hes 18, thats a adult just about everywhere, hes accountable for his actions.

SDF-1

Banned
lol why would you feel sorry for the kid. I love when someone pulls an dick move and gets stooged for it, truly one of life's greatest pleasures.

lol why would you feel sorry for the kid. I love when someone pulls an dick move and gets stooged for it, truly one of life's greatest pleasures.

Its not even like he did it just once either. He had many opportunities to think "gee maybe this is kind of fucked up" but instead did it multiple times with zero concern for what may happen afterwards. If hes in debt now its his own fault.

Future

Don't forget to add all those annoying pop screens with someone donates, follows and subscribes to your channel. Oh yeah don't forget to have a a small screen of the actual game going.

Yet soooooooooooooo many people stream these channels. It's the one thing I can point at and see the generation gap: I'm an old man that didn't grow up streaming so obviously I will never get it

Respond accordingly meaning -> "Shes a girl streamer so there is already some that instantly don't like her."

I said i'm unhappy that she ended up getting money out of this, also added why a couple of post later

I guess the blustering about twitch's TOS would be more convincingly not about her gender if the first arrow out of everyone's quiver wasn't 'AND she's a camwhore!'

iphys

Doesn't the fact that he didn't actually intend to gift the money make it not a legal gift? When I was a kid my big brother gave me his old skateboard ramp and taught me how to use it pretending to be all nice to me for once and then burned it the next day as a cruel soul-destroying prank. Did he actually legally destroy my property just by virtue of the fact that he said it was mine even though he truly didn't mean it when he said it?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yikes on all accounts.

For the unaware, the PayPal Chargeback Fee to the party getting paid is $20 USD per transaction. So in the case of anyone getting 10 chargebacks, the minimum is $200 that the person/company that got paid initially has to pay PayPal, and that's in addition to whatever monies that have been removed. Getting $10k in donations over 8 transcations coats that streamer $10,160 at minimum.

So I imagine many people here are in defense of the 'prankster' because the donations were to Twitch streamers, but the only way this could be worse is if it were another business where they came away with physical goods. Either way, the intent was malicious and the guy is of age to be prosecuted.

"His life shouldn't be ruined because of this." He tried to ruin someone else's. If PayPal did deny the chargebacks, he has to pay that money back and hopefully will have learned a valuable lesson in "teh LULs".

This is pure scummy evil bullshit. Not surprised to learn it's some rich psychopathic kid. Shame 50K is pocket change for this fuckwad. And no lol he's 18. That's a kid.

MUnited83

For you.
Come on man, the kid is underage and just an internet troll with a lot of money. Let's not exaggerate what he's done.

he's not underage, and there's nothing exaggerated here. The scummy lowlife piece of shit tried to put people in financial trouble and could have potentially ruined people's live. Fucker should pay every single cent or go to prison.

Well I think saying 'she deserves whatever she gets' is more stupid, frankly.
Obviously her comments were deplorable but we all say inane bollocks when we've had one too many.

Try saying that to your boss after an office party or to a family member during a reunion, it will go pretty smooth.

If you can't stop saying shit when you're shitfaced, don't get shitfaced. Nobody is forcing you to drink. If you do then you deserve the consequences.

Awesome news. People who do this kind of thing are assholes and deserve it.

Can't sympathize with anyone who gives large sums of money to streamers to make them react and take it away. If you don't want to lose your money then don't do this shit. Simple.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Serious question, what does your credit score have to be to have a ~50 THOUSAND dollar credit line or possibly more...I think he did this in cash...I dont think he has any debt from this...

The only way this kid/young adult has 50k in credit is across more than a dozen credit cards because I doubt he has good enough credit to do it over a few at his age so Unlikely, or with a centurion card or a black card and let's face it you have to spend a minimum of 250,000 dollars yearly to qualify for one of those, and if he can do that well this is a raindrop in the ocean for him...

I think this guy/younger adult and his family are financially well off to begin with or at least he was...

This has actually made my week. I am a better person having read this, and I honestly hope he has to pay back every cent over his working life. From what I've gathered, he set out explicitly with the intention of trying to fuck over other people's financial situation and in the process obliterated his own. The phrase 'get fuckin rekt m8' gets thrown around a lot these day but GODDAMN.

Top Bottom