• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Typos on game boxes

verdures

BocoDragon said:
Your Japanese program is weird. Can anyone explain why tu would ever make sense?
Different romanization systems; transliterating the characters from Japanese into the Latin alphabet. Using tu strikes me as strange, though. Feels off and antiquated, like someone using Wade-Giles for Chinese instead of Pinyin.

Jroderton said:
How did that ever end up there anyway?

I don't remember if there was an official response but the person in charge of making the cover up just took artwork from IGN and threw it all together, I guess.

Mungular said:
back of the dark souls guide
7i1on.jpg
Fucking hilarious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
verdures said:
Different romanization systems; transliterating the characters from Japanese into the Latin alphabet. Using tu strikes me as strange, though. Feels off and antiquated, like someone using Wade-Giles for Chinese instead of Pinyin.
I just can't see "tu" ever being an appropriate romanization for the sound... unless they were trying to keep it down to 2 roman characters apiece. Unless, of course, there are some dialects of Japan that speak it like that.

Also I never understood why Pinyin is supposed to be better than Wade-Giles, aside from the fact that the Chinese gov chose it. Wade-Giles correctly uses "ch" for the sound like in "change". Pinyin uses a Q? WTF? Ask an English speaker to read "Qing", and they will never, in a million years, guess that you are supposed to say "Ching" (which is how WG spelled it!).

ElectricBanquet said:
I remember on the box for Marvel vs. Capcom for Dreamcast one of the screenshots was actually from Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.
Not on the North American version. I'm looking at it now and I see no such thing.

BocoDragon said:
I just can't see "tu" ever being an appropriate romanization for the sound... unless they were trying to keep it down to 2 roman characters apiece. Unless, of course, there are some dialects of Japan that speak it like that.

Also I never understood why Pinyin is supposed to be better than Wade-Giles, aside from the fact that the Chinese gov chose it. Wade-Giles correctly uses "ch" for the sound like in "change". Pinyin uses a Q? WTF? Ask an English speaker to read "Qing", and they will never, in a million years, guess that you are supposed to say "Ching" (which is how WG spelled it!).
It's supposed to be pronounced what?
...Well I've been pronouncing something wrong for quite a while. I wonder why they did that.

BocoDragon

First Name said:
It's supposed to be pronounced what?
...Well I've been pronouncing something wrong for quite a while. I wonder why they did that.
I know a white Canadian practitioner of 'qigong' who has been pronouncing it "key-gong" for years. It's actually "chi-gong" as in chi energy....

BocoDragon said:

I speak a bit of mandarin and to he fair the ch and the q are similar but not the same sound. The same way z and s and x sound similar but are also pronounced differently. Pinyin is superior

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
270110_lback.jpg

The back of the Killzone 2 box art has always bugged me. Zoom in and scroll to the beginning of the third paragraph from the bottom. It reads:

"Killzone is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Guerilla. 2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Killzone 2 uses Havok Physics. 1999-2004 Havok.com Inc. (and it's Lincensors)."

Fucking shit has bugged me since the day I noticed it.

DonMigs85

snes-d-force-box.jpg

The manual for this game was filled with typos

As for Ocarina, my box had environment spelled correctly so I guess they fixed it in later runs?

From Makai Kingdom's back cover. This was back in Nippon Ichi's "how do I English" phase:
Makai_Kingdom_Dvd_custom-front-2.jpg

Randomly genarated extention maps!
Use various tanks, like [list of objects that are not tanks]!

I have what I often suspect to be an illegitimate copy of Final Fantasy VII for PC. The back of the box suggests, among other winners, "nail bitting combats."

I may upload the image tomorrow.

UFRA

Y2Kev said:
Apparently the Dark Souls guide talks about Deus Ex 3 on the back?

Yes, only on the "sleeve" that comes on it though. It's not on the actual guide itself.

I once had a pic of the back of the Resistance 2 box. It listed "voice chat" as a feature twice in the bullet point list on the top side.

Sort of off topic, but if i remember correctly, DOA3 on the XBox had Hayate saying something like, You thought you are tough but you are not or something like that during his win pose.

Famassu

Not an official release, but back when I was ignorant of the "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" rule when buying GBA games off Amazon & eBay, the cheap copy of Fire Emblem I got turned out to be a pirate. The description on the back cover has one typo and one thing I think is kind of weirdly stated:

"After many years, the rightful heir to the throne of Rikea has beenfound."

&

"Command a fantastic army of heroes in this turn-based strategy battle." (dunno, shouldn't it be "in this turn-based strategy game" or something?)

And the side of the box has these:

"People who are photoseneitive should not play video games without first seeing a doctor"

and

"IMPORTANT! Read the instructon booklet before setup or use of your system"

BocoDragon said:
Your Japanese program is weird. Can anyone explain why tu would ever make sense?

Because Japanese does not use a western alphabet in the first place, and any possible spelling is an approximation? The Japanese program is not weird, everyone who knows Japanese knows that it is not uncommon to transliterate that particular kana as either 'tu' or 'tsu' depending on who you ask.

qq more

On the Club Nintendo code mini booklet for Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, the copyright section of it (at the bottom left I think?) said "Mario & Luigi Partners in Crime". I don't know if I still have that booklet, I'll have to find it sometime.

linko9

OK, let me try to clear up the tu vs. tsu thing. First you have to understand the notion of a phoneme. A phoneme is what most people would call a “sound” in their language. This is different from a “letter.” In english, most phonemes (sounds) are spelled with one letter, but many are spelled with two letters. The sounds we spell “p” is one phoneme, but so is the sound we spell “ch.” . Phonemes are written between slashes, like /tu/ for english “two,” or “to” or “too”: note that even though they’re written differently, they all consist of the same phonemes. As you can imagine, the simplest and most elegant way to write a language alphabetically is by assigning one letter to each phoneme. This is not how English works, which makes it very hard for children and second language learners to learn how to spell English words.

Now we must introduce another notion; the fact that for a single phoneme, there can be multiple different “allophones.” For example, in English, there are (broadly speaking) two allophones for the phoneme /p/. In the words “pat” and “spat,” any English speaker will tell you that the p in each word is the “same sound”. That’s because they’re the same phoneme. However, they are not the same allophone. If you put your hand in front of your mouth when you say these two words, you’ll find that in “pat”, the p is accompanied by a puff of air (called aspiration), whereas in “spat”, it’s not (or at least not as much). So, while the letter p represents the same phoneme in each word, it does not in fact represent the exact same sound. We can say that in English, aspirated p and unaspirated p are not “contrastive”; that is, there can’t be two words that differ only by one word having aspirated p, and another word having unaspirated p.

Now, let’s look at Japanese. In Japanese, the sounds that English speakers would spell as “t” and “ts” are allophones of the same phoneme; that is, they are NOT contrastive. The sound [ts] only occurs before the vowel /u/. So, for Japanese speakers, [ts] and [t] are the “same sound”, in the same way that for English speakers, the p in “pat” and the p in “spat” are the “same sound”. If you want your spelling system to be elegant, you’ll ideally have one letter for each phoneme, and so you will use the same letter (t) to represent both [ts] and [t] in Japanese. This is why you see alternate spellings for “Natsume/Natume” or “Ketsui/Ketui”, even amongst official promotional materials. The phonemes for these words are /natume/ and /ketui/, but in each case, the /t/ is pronounced as the allophone [ts], which to English speakers sounds like a “different sound”.

Hope that all made sense. Some other allophonic alternations you might not have known about in Japanese:

[f] and [h] are the same phoneme /h/: [f] only appears before /u/.
See alternate spellings “Futari/Hutari”
[ch] is also an allophone of /t/; it appears before /i/ or /y/
Can’t think of any video game examples
[sh] is an allophone of /s/, appearing before /i/ or /y/
Ever hear a Japanese game developer talk about a “shirizu” for English “series”?

Now, you may be asking yourself “what about “Fainaru Fantajii”? How is there an f there? Well, that’s because contact with foreign languages like English has created a “phonemic split” in Japanese, so that f and h are in fact different phonemes in modern Japanese. However, the older pattern is still adhered to in non-western-borrowed Japanese words. You’ll only find f followed by anything other than /u/ in these borrowed words.

ShaunBRS

Bas Rutten and Pat Miletich's names were spelled incorrectly as Bas Rutton and Pat Militech on the first run of EA MMA. Somebody got kicked in the liver for that, I hope.

qq more said:
On the Club Nintendo code mini booklet for Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, the copyright section of it (at the bottom left I think?) said "Mario & Luigi Partners in Crime". I don't know if I still have that booklet, I'll have to find it sometime.

I just looked at mine and yea it says that lol.

Thoraxes

qq more said:
Haha you're right! Just took a picture of mine. It's a bad pic, but you can make it out.

26MZ3.jpg

linko9 said:
OK, let me try to clear up the tu vs. tsu thing. <snip>

lol, always laugh when I see someone else interested in linguistics joining the party. But I have to warn you, I'm afraid that for about 99% of people reading your post, you definitely did NOT clear anything up :) It's like some asking why 2+2=4 and then a mathematician breaking out the Peano Axioms and/or the properties of a ring.

BocoDragon

cpp_is_king said:
Because Japanese does not use a western alphabet in the first place, and any possible spelling is an approximation? The Japanese program is not weird, everyone who knows Japanese knows that it is not uncommon to transliterate that particular kana as either 'tu' or 'tsu' depending on who you ask.
I would not find it weird for many languages (I'm not confused by why Chinese or Arabic has variable romanizations), but Japanese is made up of a series of full syllablic sounds that never change in any context. They can be directly converted to roman characters in a way that they will never require interpretation in how to pronounce it (with exceptions, such as the "su" sound at the end of verbs getting shorted to just an "s" sound).

Put simply, The tsu syllable always sounds like tsu, and never like tu.... as far as I've ever encountered.

linko9 said:
OK, let me try to clear up the tu vs. tsu thing. First you have to understand the notion of a phoneme. A phoneme is what most people would call a “sound” in their language. This is different from a “letter.” In english, most phonemes (sounds) are spelled with one letter, but many are spelled with two letters. The sounds we spell “p” is one phoneme, but so is the sound we spell “ch.” . Phonemes are written between slashes, like /tu/ for english “two,” or “to” or “too”: note that even though they’re written differently, they all consist of the same phonemes. As you can imagine, the simplest and most elegant way to write a language alphabetically is by assigning one letter to each phoneme. This is not how English works, which makes it very hard for children and second language learners to learn how to spell English words.

Now we must introduce another notion; the fact that for a single phoneme, there can be multiple different “allophones.” For example, in English, there are (broadly speaking) two allophones for the phoneme /p/. In the words “pat” and “spat,” any English speaker will tell you that the p in each word is the “same sound”. That’s because they’re the same phoneme. However, they are not the same allophone. If you put your hand in front of your mouth when you say these two words, you’ll find that in “pat”, the p is accompanied by a puff of air (called aspiration), whereas in “spat”, it’s not (or at least not as much). So, while the letter p represents the same phoneme in each word, it does not in fact represent the exact same sound. We can say that in English, aspirated p and unaspirated p are not “contrastive”; that is, there can’t be two words that differ only by one word having aspirated p, and another word having unaspirated p.

Now, let’s look at Japanese. In Japanese, the sounds that English speakers would spell as “t” and “ts” are allophones of the same phoneme; that is, they are NOT contrastive. The sound [ts] only occurs before the vowel /u/. So, for Japanese speakers, [ts] and [t] are the “same sound”, in the same way that for English speakers, the p in “pat” and the p in “spat” are the “same sound”. If you want your spelling system to be elegant, you’ll ideally have one letter for each phoneme, and so you will use the same letter (t) to represent both [ts] and [t] in Japanese. This is why you see alternate spellings for “Natsume/Natume” or “Ketsui/Ketui”, even amongst official promotional materials. The phonemes for these words are /natume/ and /ketui/, but in each case, the /t/ is pronounced as the allophone [ts], which to English speakers sounds like a “different sound”.

Hope that all made sense. Some other allophonic alternations you might not have known about in Japanese:

[f] and [h] are the same phoneme /h/: [f] only appears before /u/.
See alternate spellings “Futari/Hutari”
[ch] is also an allophone of /t/; it appears before /i/ or /y/
Can’t think of any video game examples
[sh] is an allophone of /s/, appearing before /i/ or /y/
Ever hear a Japanese game developer talk about a “shirizu” for English “series”?

Now, you may be asking yourself “what about “Fainaru Fantajii”? How is there an f there? Well, that’s because contact with foreign languages like English has created a “phonemic split” in Japanese, so that f and h are in fact different phonemes in modern Japanese. However, the older pattern is still adhered to in non-western-borrowed Japanese words. You’ll only find f followed by anything other than /u/ in these borrowed words.
Very interesting.

I had to read it several times, but I think I get it :)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BocoDragon said:

The "Zh" being "J" fucked me up for a while. Also "X" being "Sh".

linko9 said:
Hey, we've gotta try :)

By the way, another, hopefully more easily digestable explanation for the tsu vs. tu thing is the following:

The natural arrangement of the Japanese alphabet is in table form, where the rows of the table indicate the "first letter" (consonant) if you were spelling the letters in English, and the columns represent the "second letter" (vowel) if you were spelling the letters in English.

The rows of the table are [none], k, s, t, m, h, n, y, r, w.

The columns of the table are a, i, u, e, o.

With only a couple exceptions, every single combination of these letters is a valid Japanese "letter". For example, k+u = ku = &#12367;. n+e = ne = &#12397;. etc.

The reason tsu/tu (e.g. &#12388;) is frequently written as "tu" by native speakers is because it creates more consistent rules for transliteration. ta, ti, te, and to do not have an "s" sound in the middle so it would actually be blatantly wrong to write those as tsa, tsi, tse, or tso. Those sounds don't even exist.

So simply for the sake of consistency in spelling, "tu" is written instead of "tsu".

Granted the linguistic explanation is more forml and more "correct", but hopefully this explains it in a way the layman can understand.

BocoDragon said:
I would not find it weird for many languages (I'm not confused by why Chinese or Arabic has variable romanizations), but Japanese is made up of a series of full syllablic sounds that never change in any context. They can be directly converted to roman characters in a way that they will never require interpretation in how to pronounce it (with exceptions, such as the "su" sound at the end of verbs getting shorted to just an "s" sound).

Put simply, The tsu syllable always sounds like tsu, and never like tu.... as far as I've ever encountered.

While true most of the time, it is not true always. If you add a tenten to the hiragana &#12388; you get &#12389;. This is sometimes pronounced "zu" and sometimes "du", and sometimes maybe even "dzu", depending on the word in question and the dialect of the person speaking.

The same is true of other kana, there is not always a single pronunciation. The most obvious examples of this are &#12405; (fu / hu depending on the word / person), &#12375; (shi / si) and &#12377; (s / su)

BocoDragon

cpp_is_king said:
By the way, another, hopefully more easily digestable explanation for the tsu vs. tu thing is the following:

The natural arrangement of the Japanese alphabet is in table form, where the rows of the table indicate the "first letter" (consonant) if you were spelling the letters in English, and the columns represent the "second letter" (vowel) if you were spelling the letters in English.

The rows of the table are [none], k, s, t, m, h, n, y, r, w.

The columns of the table are a, i, u, e, o.

With only a couple exceptions, every single combination of these letters is a valid Japanese "letter". For example, k+u = ku = &#12367;. n+e = ne = &#12397;. etc.

The reason tsu/tu (e.g. &#12388;) is frequently written as "tu" by native speakers is because it creates more consistent rules for transliteration. ta, ti, te, and to do not have an "s" sound in the middle so it would actually be blatantly wrong to write those as tsa, tsi, tse, or tso. Those sounds don't even exist.

So simply for the sake of consistency in spelling, "tu" is written instead of "tsu".

Granted the linguistic explanation is more forml and more "correct", but hopefully this explains it in a way the layman can understand.
Right... now I get that "tu" might more truly communicate how the sound is thought of in Japanese. It's the same sound as ta, te, etc. but when you have an "u" sound following, it reveals that it actually functions slightly different than a "t" sound in English.

The "Tu" version is using roman characters as a "code" to correspond to actual Japanese sound forms, while the "tsu" version is spelling them phoenetically so English speakers can easily mimick them.

BTW is &#12385; rendered as "ti" in that situation? Is &#12375; rendered as "si"?

Top Bottom