• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

Chase17

I'm about halfway through Syndicate and am loving it. Can't wait to see what they can do with some more breathing room (and the potential location of Egypt).

I wonder if Watch Dogs 2 or Ghost Recon Wildlands will fill that fall spot.

Ralemont

not me
Syndicate was the swan song of what the series had done. If AC does get reinvented, its old style of gameplay went out on a high note.

But to be a bit of a downer, I'm a little annoyed at the prospect of going back in time. One of the things I liked about the series was that it had a good meta sense of progressive advancement towards the present. At some point, you thought, all this will come to a head. Now it seems they'll just go to whatever time they want and extend the series indefinitely.

I hope the next one follows the same suit as Syndicate. Picked it up cheap and it's my favourite since 2. Much better and improved over the utter trash that was Unity.

Is the movie next year then? Wouldn't be surprised if they shit one out for dat synergy.

AC:The movie is dec 21st, 2016 (this year). I believe principal photography has finished as well in late January so at this points its editing, music, CGI, etc.

I hope we'll see remasters of AC1-2 on ps4/xbone most likely announced at E3 and released to coincide with the movie, I'd pick it up for $30-40 to play right after watching the movie.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It says no "new" Assassins Creed game. That still leaves open the possibility of something like a compilation or a PS4/Xbox One port of Rogue.

I'd say it would be guaranteed, if they didn't have Watch Dogs 2 to fill the gap.

Chase17

I think Assassin's Creed Collection was trademarked a few months ago, so it could be on the table.

Edit: Meant to quote about potential remaster. Quoted wrong post.

datwr

Great job Ubi, looking forward to a proper reimagining of AC! The Egypt setting also rumored sounds quite nice if that is then also true.

VAD

Since the release of Assassin’s Creed Unity, we’ve learned a lot based on your feedback
Like they needed feedback to learn that people don't like unfinished products.
Good on them to rethink their strategy and their processes.

oti

Banned
Scorpions_-_Wind_Of_Change

Fantastic. It's the move they need to be making right now. Good on Ubi.
looking forward to Watchdogs 2 and an HD port of AC2 this holiday

Briarios

Unity was uninspiring, but Syndicate was pretty good. The really need to reboot the modern day story part ... It's gotten ridiculous.

I'd be fine if the modern story was just about a regular person logging in to experience the life of their ancestor and finding out crazy shit -- maybe some adventure game stuff in the real world, but all the crazy, convoluted stuff that has come out of the last few needs to go.

LuuKyK

Hmm, wonder if they intend to do a more "open development" structure on this one with early feedback.

Now that you mention it... Ubisoft is not really open about their development at all comparing them to some other big companies right? I mean look at Square-Enix creating public pools and sending emails everytime looking for player feedback. Even EA did that for Dragon Age and Mass Effect IIRC. It certainly would be a welcome change, as much as AC becoming a non-yearly franchise.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ubisoft really isn't in the business of remasters this gen. Like EA.

They put out so much that they haven't needed to fill any obvious gaps with a remaster, the way Sony and Microsoft did. I don't think it's happen myself but I wouldn't be surprised.

CHC

Say what you will about Ubisoft but they DO care what people actually enjoy, more so than most AAA publishers. They certainly could have squeezed out another AC this year but ther fact they are recommitting to some level of quality is pretty good news. It's become a cliche to say that AC needs a year off but the fact that they are actually doing it is quite interesting.

I wonder if the Egypt rumors are true. Either way, I hope that the next game in the series can be exciting again.

Elginer

Crazy that I am I loved the hell out of Syndicate and actually enjoyed Unity. Good for them for trying to go and make the series the best it can.

jelly

Wow, didn't think they would do it.

I seriously doubt the 2017 game will solve any long standing issues.

Kucan

So instead of a 2-3 year dev time the next one will have a 3-4 year dev time, nice. Hopefully, the extra year will help it.

Markitron

hyped for Watch Dogs 2

I'm excited to see what they can do with a 2.5 year dev cycle. If it's anywhere near as big a leap as AC2 was, it could be something special. But please Ubisoft, for the love of god, new protagonist please. There's no redeeming Aiden's awfulness, there's no making him more interesting, kill him in the opening scene.

injurai

Banned
Wow, didn't think they would do it.

I seriously doubt the 2017 game will solve any long standing issues.

Half their issues were with fan burnout, so they are at least solving that.

I think Ubisoft wants to build AC back up so it's a series worthy of annual entries. Spending some time to reinvest in their pipeline, rework their engines, formulate new facets to the game design. It's what they need to do.

Good decision, I hope they take notes from CD project.

giphy.gif

One could hope.

Boooo...one of the few things I look forward to every year. I guess we are still getting AC:Identity, and I have chronicles Russia still to play...its just not the same

Top Bottom