• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

GeeTeeCee

Fair enough. Syndicate was great, so I'm excited to see what can be done with the series when it's given a little more time.

Bring back Prince of Persia you god damned French fucks. Nobody I know (IRL) who played Watch_Dogs wants a sequel.

That was harsh. I just miss Elika :-(

Catvoca

Banned
Glad they're not taking the activision model of just pushing them out until the franchise is completely dead. If they take some time and really change things up I'll be on board for the next game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Half their issues were with fan burnout, so they are at least solving that.

I think Ubisoft wants to build AC back up so it's a series worthy of annual entries. Spending some time to reinvest in their pipeline, rework their engines, formulate new facets to the game design. It's what they need to do.
This is exactly what they did with 3 and then Unity two years later. Not so coincidentally those were the buggier ones upon release compared to their streamlined predecessors and sequels. It sounds like they're once again rebuilding, (odd considering their overhauls usually get two subsequent games with similar mechanics). Pretty sure this is the black flag team again as well.

koutoru

But is one year really enough?

Give it a break for 2-3 years and bring back other franchises instead.

What about a new Splinter Cell?
They could technically cycle through with Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and AC.

That would give each series a 3 year break before the next main line title, just a thought though.

So, the leak that developer on 4Chan posted (which all news outlets picked up after) ended up being true after all.

Really looking forward to what they can come up with Egypt for setting and their "Witcher III'esque" RPG targets then. Design, mechanics and story too. I reckon this is the point where this franchise actually evolves into something bigger.

Lunar15

Good. Take some time, do a good game. Syndicate was a step in the right direction, but let's be honest, this series is played out in a lot of respects.

It's obvious they're intimidated by a new Valkyria game coming out this year after how last time releasing an AC game at the same time as Valkyria went down.

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Still have a ton of ips just sitting here if they wanted to bring in new games , but I imagine they have a full year anyway what with ghost recon and watchdogs 2.

Please do the same for far cry as well Ubisoft after primal bombs

injurai

Banned
This is exactly what they did with 3 and then Unity two years later. Not so coincidentally those were the buggier ones upon release compared to their streamlined predecessors and sequels. It sounds like they're once again rebuilding, (odd considering their overhauls usually get two subsequent games with similar mechanics). Pretty sure this is the black flag team again as well.

Unity being buggy has very little to do with the process I'm talking about, that has to do with hitting a launch window.

Foffy

Banned
No Assassin's Creed game in 2016.

Two game set in the Assassin's Creed universe in 2016.

????????????????????????

This is something I have wanted for the series for a while now, I can only hope it's because they are redoing all the core mechanics and are actually getting their shit together writing and story wise.

Ushay

Post if you're ok Ubisoft.

This is good news, we can have a properly developed game. I'm pretty excited after Syndicate which was surprisingly very good.

I assume they finally see that AC doesn't need to be a yearly release? Can't say i am looking very forward to WD2 though, didn't think much of the first one.

Say what you will about Ubisoft but they DO care what people actually enjoy, more so than most AAA publishers. They certainly could have squeezed out another AC this year but ther fact they are recommitting to some level of quality is pretty good news. It's become a cliche to say that AC needs a year off but the fact that they are actually doing it is quite interesting.

I wonder if the Egypt rumors are true. Either way, I hope that the next game in the series can be exciting again.

It just took them two stinkers (AC3 and AC Unity) and Syndicate's low sales to start caring about what people enjoy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They need to make a complete overhaul of all gameplay mechanics and completely rework parkour and combat systems along with the open world and everything related to it. But to do all of this they need a lot more time and one additional year of development won't save this series and new game. Two-three years maybe, but most certainly not one.

Crossing Eden

Unity being buggy has very little to do with the process I'm talking about, that has to do with hitting a launch window.
If they made Unity using the AC4 version of the AnvilNext engine, (as in, not rebuilt it mostly from the ground up), it wouldn't have been anywhere near as buggy as it was. the point is they've done total revamps for the series multiple times. If the rumored setting is true, it requires yet another revamp, even more so than before.

They need to make a complete overhaul of all gameplay mechanics and completely rework parkour and combat systems along with the open world and everything related to it. But to do all of this they need a lot more time and one additional year of development won't save this series. Two-three years maybe, but most certainly not one.
Every AC game already gets 3 years of dev time. This team wasn't sitting around doing nothing while UbiQuebec handled Syndicate. And let's not do the thing we do in every AC thread where people pretend that they've made absolutely no attempts to revamp this series,

skynidas

Banned
hmmmm, so what is the big Ubisoft game this holiday for Ubi? Ghost Recon? That one looked interesting. I don't know why, but I feel Watch Dogs 2 will be early next year instead of this year.

Crossing Eden

hmmmm, so what is the big Ubisoft game this holiday for Ubi? Ghost Recon? That one looked interesting. I don't know why, but I feel Watch Dogs 2 will be early next year instead of this year.
WD2 most likely unless they delay it.

jschreier

Great scoop, J!

Looking forward to seeing what Ubisoft does with Assassin's Creed in 2017, especially since the game should be directed by Ashraf Ismail, who rocked it on Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. (That's mostly from a mental calendar.)
Yeah, Empire is headed up by the Black Flag team (Ismail, Darby McDevitt, etc).

Top Bottom