• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

Glad to hear this. It needs to be redesigned and improved, because variety is an issue. The games are so similar in a lot of respects.

I just beat Syndicate for a second time, though, and liked it more the second time through. I liked Unity as well. But sequel fatigue is real.

dreamfall

Great news! I hope that this gives them a longer development cycle to create some absolute magic! Syndicate was incredible!

Yopis

Ran this into ground harder than splinter cell. Remember at the start of last gen Asscreed was to be a trilogy.

Watchdogs sadly is next for overkill.

injurai

Banned
Again Unity already did that, (tailing missions for instance were massively reduced yet also expanded to be more open just like every mission in the game). I do wonder if they're going for a new identity altogether or whether that would be a good idea. It remains to be seen because all we can do atm is speculate on just how big the changes will be.

I don't know why you are so set to say I'm asking for something that already happened. They have to revamp that game every time they do a big locale jump. I'm excited to see them take things back to Egypt, to the simpler times like AC1. I'm also interested in them drastically changing up now animations work, how the fundamentals of tooling work. Is you're point still stimming out of the argument that the revamps have left things buggy and it was really the sequels that delivered?

As a fan of the franchise I welcome this expected news but I hope they release something this year (HD remaster), Chronicles left a bad taste in my mouth.

d00d3n

Nice. I am looking forward to the secretly developed Beyond Good & Evil sequel as their big fall 2016 game!
I wish ... :(

Stat!

Its a shame. AC Unity and AC Syndicate were the second and first best games in the series.

Would have been more than happy to see some more AC! Hopefully it comes back soon!

Laffer

I would love an Assassin's Creed compilation with all the games for the current generation. This would be the perfect opportunity to make it happen.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't know why you are so set to say I'm asking for something that already happened. They have to revamp that game every time they do a big locale jump. I'm excited to see them take things back to Egypt, to the simpler times like AC1. I'm also interested in them drastically changing up now animations work, how the fundamentals of tooling work. Is you're point still stimming out of the argument that the revamps have left things buggy and it was really the sequels that delivered?
No I was saying that there have already been revamps, a typical narrative you commonly see on gaming forums is that "all X games are the same" concerning large franchises and their sequels, in this case AC.

injurai

Banned
No I was saying that there have already been revamps, a typical narrative you commonly see on gaming forums is that "all X games are the same" concerning large franchises and their sequels, in this case AC.

I see, but I don't get why that's related to what I'm saying. Even with all the work that they've done it's still be an annual series that has started to wear on people. Not always offering the change or progress forward that people are looking for. If they want this series to be around for another 10 years it helps change things that they have previously not touched through their various iterations.

I would love an Assassin's Creed compilation with all the games for the current generation. This would be the perfect opportunity to make it happen.

AC Rogue will probably come out for consoles next holiday or when the movie comes out.

There will be AC in one way or another. All the PS3/360 AC games in one box is a little bit too much imo. As someone who never played an AC game before Black Flag, I would be interested in an AC2 remake or something like that. People always say it's an amazing game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Good thing the company made a very detailed retrospective video series detailing the changes made both small and large. I'd advise going through that before unironically stating that they literally made the same game every time. It's like saying Nintendo makes the same Zelda game every time.
Uh, give me a break. Who cares about these useless changes if the game at it's core is the same? Do you know the meaning of overhaul? You can add a shit ton of small things to your game but it won't change a thing if you stubbornly not willing to do a complete overhaul which was needed like 5-6 years ago. The one and only big thing they've added was ship combat and gameplay, that's it, and even this was abandoned after 3 games.

They did a complete overhaul of POP back in 2008 which was a completely new game with a completely new concept, why can't they do the same with AC?

It it that bad? Which ones did you play?

Played all of them, got burned by playing the same game 3 times, story was garbage and gameplay so-so (first impressions with China were good though), art is good too but I as I said I got burned. 3 games for $30 is not a bad deal anyway.

Bizzquik

Still haven't gotten to Syndicate yet.
Ever since Rogue and Unity released nearly simultaneously, I've been a game behind.

I have several more chapters to go in Unity. I think I'll wait for several months, then get back to it and its DLC - and just play Syndicate in late 2016 / early 2017.

It'll be like the series never left.

FoneBone

Saw this quote pop up in the OP of one of the other active Ubisoft threads on GAF:

This phrasing is slightly different than simply saying that there will be no new Assassin's Creed in 2016. Is the bolded trying to indicate that there may be no new release in 2017 either?

I suppose this may just mean fiscal year 2016-17, which I think ends in March of 2017.

No, in the context of an investor report, that would just refer to the upcoming fiscal year.

How badly did Syndicate do relative to previous games? Do we have any numbers (not Chartz, obviously)?

injurai

Banned
Who cares about these useless changes if the game at it's core is the same? Do you know the meaning of overhaul? You can add a shit ton of small things to your game but it won't change a thing if you stubbornly not willing to do a complete overhaul which was needed like 5-6 years ago. The one and only big thing they've added was ship combat and gameplay, that's it, and even this was abandoned after 3 games.

They did a complete overhaul of POP back in 2008 which was a completely new game with a completely new concept, why can't they do the same with AC?

Exactly.

IvanJ

Banned
Glad to hear that Kotaku rumor was correct.
I've been on an AC boycott ever since a huge disappointment with AC3. I hope they can reboot the series and make it great again, I'll be ready to give it a second chance next year.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I see, but I don't get why that's related to what I'm saying. Even with all the work that they've done it's still be an annual series that has started to wear on people. Not always offering the change or progress forward that people are looking for. If they want this series to be around for another 10 years it helps change things that they have previously not touched through their various iterations.
What things haven't they actually touched upon or changed in some way?

Who cares about these useless changes if the game at it's core is the same? Do you know the meaning of overhaul? You can add a shit ton of small things to your game but it won't change a thing if you stubbornly not willing to do a complete overhaul which was needed like 5-6 years ago. The one and only big thing they've added was ship combat and gameplay, that's it, and even this was abandoned after 3 games.

Because they've overhauled multiple mechanics in the series. They didn't JUST add small changes but also incredibly large ones that completely changed aspects of the game design as well as changing mission design and pacing. Again, read and watch the entire video series because your statements makes no sense under any sort of scrutiny.

Sterok

As I thought, Ubisoft seems to be getting their act together. We'll see how it pays off in the long run, but I think they're on a better foot going forward than they were two years ago.

ryseing

It will be odd not seeing the ads and trailers this fall. But I suppose that will be replaced by trailers for the movie and such.

Hyped for WD2. If it gets the big fall spot that means Ubi has a lot of faith in it. Potential for this game is infinite.

Lucreto

It looks like I am the only one who is sad by the news.

I love all the games and it's a tradition for me to get the next game in the series for Christmas.

Unless Mass Effect Andromeda gets released this year I see nothing of real worth to get over the Christmas period.

YAY!!!!! I love Assassin’s Creed and I really hope giving it a break will allow them to explore the franchise in ways we never imagined. The Assassin’s Creed brand is destined for so much more and Ubisoft really tried with Unity and Syndicate. I really like that they are taking a break and thinking this through.

Surprise me Ubi.

injurai

Banned
What things haven't they actually touched upon or changed in some way?

Because they've overhauled multiple mechanics in the series. They didn't JUST add small changes but also incredibly large ones that completely changed aspects of the game design as well as changing mission design and pacing. Again, read and watch the entire video series because your statements makes no sense under any sort of scrutiny.

Obviously they have changed a lot, but they have also had to keep a lot of core mechanics the same. We had identical animations game after game, and it took them a long time for them to start expanding this. But even these changes have been subtle at best. It's clear they haven't wanted to stray too far from changing the core mechanics. They have been much more comfortable adding new mechanics with little precedence in the series.

We've seen massively overhauled game franchises before. Look how different the MGS games are between each entry, AC hasn't come close to that. It hasn't shifted up fundamental paradigms of itself. It feels like it's gotten away from what I loved about 1 & 2 with each entry. Where hiding amongst the crowds as become less of an explored game mechanic, and has become a glorified shadow to hide in.

These are the types of things I want them to explore, and they really haven't.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin’s Creed franchise. As a result, we’ve decided that there will not be a new Assassin’s Creed game in 2016

Dat specification...I'd say the collection is a lock as well, then.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No they didn't (again, I don't care about useless and not completely game changing stuff they've added) and no I will not read and watch a single thing. I've played every game they made before Unity and I know what I am talking about. Hell, I am not the only one who thinks the same way so please, stop trying to change our mind (you won't succeed) and stop defending them cuz they do not deserve this, not a in the slightest.

DOWN

Banned
I'm not sure if they've learned anything. The series needs an extended hiatus. Two years isn't enough.

One extra year of development = 4 years for the next entry development

The games are normally on a ~3 year development. Unity was openly stated to have been under way 3 years before it launched.

4 years is great.

Venom Fox

Banned
Crossing Eden meltdown in T-Minus 2 minutes...

I have to agree though that this game NEEDS a complete overhaul. Everything needs changing in someway to bring fans back and bring in new consumers.

injurai

Banned
One extra year of development = 4 years for the next entry development

The games are normally on a ~3 year development. Unity was openly stated to have been under way 3 years before it launched.

4 years is great.

Plus they already have 2 games under their belt on this gen's hardware. 4 years is a lot of headroom to do things that they could never do before.

GavinUK86

i guess to get my assassin's creed fill this year i'll get the jack the ripper dlc for syndicate and finally get around to playing rogue on pc.

Top Bottom