• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
I don't entirely believe heather. They said no new game, but I think they could pass off an AC Collection around the same time as the movie's release and that could be considered an "old game".

DOWN

Banned
I don't entirely believe heather. They said no new game, but I think they could pass off an AC Collection around the same time as the movie's release and that could be considered an "old game".
That's harmless though. Wouldn't have anything to do with the new project studios and just adds more money for the company's budgets and profits to better amp up their healthy projects.

Well this may explain this image!

12713966_10207365769119622_1719027749_n.jpg

Looks awesome, but probably a fan design. I don't see a game company creating spines without the name of the game on like that. Also pretty sure a one-size-fits-all ring is way too impractical. Maybe if it was on a chain or leather loop for your neck it'd be more believable.

I'm sure the collection is happening, just not likely looking like this.

Does the world end when the movie comes out then? An Assassins Creed movie gets released and there's no Ubisoft game, this doesn't compute and the computer says no. We must have slid into some alternate Universe that will divide by zero and will just pop out of existence while the other Universe carries on with their Assassins Creed movie game tie in.

Havnt played an Ass Creed game since 2. They promised so much on 1 & 2 and failed to deliver both times.

Heres hoping their new take on the franchise actually lives up to the original creators vision and not some annualised pumped out every year dog shit.

I remember they wanted momentum systems and all sorts of shit originally and it seems too much cash made them forget why they actually wanted to make this series.

Liamario

Banned
One extra year of development = 4 years for the next entry development

The games are normally on a ~3 year development. Unity was openly stated to have been under way 3 years before it launched.

4 years is great.

My concern is not so much the length of time, but that they are still working on the franchise. I think creatively they need to focus on something else for a while and then come back to Assassin's Creed.

Lay of the collectibles for the next game, Ubisoft, please. I really enjoyed Syndicate, though, it was really charming.

I was hoping Rogue would come to PS4/XB1, but at least I can dig into the PS3 version now.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Good. I really like the series and I bought every main entry except Syndicate, Unity burned me out and I no longer want to go back to the same exact formula.

#MakeACgreatAgain

El-Suave

To be honest I'll miss AC this holiday season. Strangely enough I've not stopped enjoying the games and when faced with the choice between open world games as it usually happens that time of the year I usually played AC first.
On the other hand I'm glad if they can use the time to get the wider audience excited again for the franchise, the overall negativity made discussing the positives each game has brought not fun anymore.

valkyre

this is perhaps the best assassin creed news in quite a long time.

(i enjoyed Syndicate, but it really was not up to what the franchise can be)

Jumeira

Banned
Good. Hope they release end of 2017. Weve got this, and StarWars to look forward to.

Same old, tired scenarios, mechanics and that haystack really got to me, had a distaste for the series after AC4, as in, I can't do this anymore. So boring. Looking forward to a (hopefully) reboot, set in Mid East once again. Or Egypt. We have alot of games set in Japan that I don't have any desire to go there.

Jacknapes

I'm pleased, Ubisoft do have a lot of games coming this year anyway. Syndicate was a vast improvement over Unity, but the franchise was looking tired. At least with this break, and the next Creed set in Egypt, they should learn a few lessons.

It's not like there isn't an Assassin's Creed game coming this year, the 2.5D ones (Russia and India) are coming out (PS Vita edition coming later this year in April). Plus, there isn't anything stopping them releasing Rogue onto the PS4/Xbox One later this year either. At least with this break, i can replay Black Flag if nothing else this year.

Looks awesome, but probably a fan design. I don't see a game company creating spines without the name of the game on like that. Also pretty sure a one-size-fits-all ring is way too impractical. Maybe if it was on a chain or leather loop for your neck it'd be more believable.

Well if you read the link bellow the picture, the image was found on a site that ubi registered but it is still inactive!

Great news, and has been since it was first rumored. Hopefully this will give the series a shot in the arm.

The collection up the page looks so sick, would pay for that. I don't think it'll happen though :(

so they decide to let the franchise "rest" for a year when they finally managed to get a game (syndacate) that hit most of the right spot..
oh well, so far that they manage to "translate" the right recipe on other games (see watch dogs.. the first game has a few fine things, but a LOT of things that could be handled much, MUCH, better).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So you absolutely will not listen to compelling evidence that proves the exact opposite of your claim?
Why should I? I already know what they've changed / added and all of this combined is NOT a complete overhaul. I'm sick of the shitty old core gameplay, i'm sick of the shitty old core mechanics, shitty old engine, shitty old bare bones stealth system (which is not even working!), shitty and easy as F combat and shitty old open world mechanics of this entire series. I want all of this (whithout exceptions) to be changed completely to make the new game better and F unique, is that so hard to understand? Absolutely not a single thing they did (starting from ACB and ending with ACS last year) have not changed their games at the core completely, NOT A SINGLE THING.

Even ACIV and ACR at their core is exact same games as before but with ship combat and gameplay, absolutely everyone knows and sees this (well, except meybe you). And I haven't even mentioned a complete and total re-use of old assets like sound, animations and other stuff which is just lazy as F (not to mention that some of these assets and even mechanics ended up in Far Cry and other games they've made, which is a clear example of creative impotence and absolute lack of desire to make something new and unique). Again, stop trying to change my mind here cuz you clearly do not understand what I'm trying to say and you clearly do not know what a complete overhaul is. I've made an example and you still don't understand.. no, you simply do not want to understand because of one and very obvious reason.

*sigh*

Please, stop wasting my time with your useless arguments, I've better things to do with my life.

I just hope they don't take Syndicate's lower sales as a knock on the quality of that game. That game did so much right, both in gameplay and story, that it'd be a shame if they abandoned that for yet another dour revenge story. Best AC since Brotherhood, easily.

Look forward to whatever they come up with next year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I recall seeing that about a year ago, well before the URL registration.

yurinka

Now that you mention it... Ubisoft is not really open about their development at all comparing them to some other big companies right? I mean look at Square-Enix creating public pools and sending emails everytime looking for player feedback. Even EA did that for Dragon Age and Mass Effect IIRC. It certainly would be a welcome change, as much as AC becoming a non-yearly franchise.
I think it was last year when Ubisoft created a new studio in Newcastle just for Community Management and Customer Support, and debuted getting feedback for the 400+ fixes and tweaks introduced in the patches of Unity during its first months or with many things reported in the Rainbow Six forums about Siege beta that were applied in the final game.

In their dev diaries also have been shown play tests (common in the industry) where they took feedback, and in Gaf have been shown several polls about Ubi games that some players received by mail.

In addition to that, we also saw many old controversies addressed in their recent games, like having more polish and character diversity in Syndicate, to announce their games 1 year or less before release showing a closer image to the final game, splitting the series in different AC teams to don't need to ship a game every year and now taking a rest for this series.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why should I? I already know what they've changed / added and all of this combined is NOT a complete overhaul. I'm sick of the shitty old core gameplay, i'm sick of the shitty old core mechanics, shitty old engine, shitty old bare bones stealth system (which is not even working!), shitty and easy as F combat and shitty old open world mechanics of this entire series. I want all of this (whithout exceptions) to be changed completely to make the new game better and F unique, is that so hard to understand? Absolutely not a single thing they did (starting from ACB and ending with ACS last year) have not changed their games at the core completely, NOT A SINGLE THING.
Because you're obviously misinformed and doing a simple reading/watching would hopefully make you more informed. They've overhauled the mechanics, the engine, combat, as well as the pacing and activities of the open world:multiple times, at this point you're complaining that an AC game is still an AC game, which would be like me complaining that a SF game is still a SF game and claiming they never overhauled the series.

ven ACIV and ACR at their core is exact same games as before but with ship combat and gameplay, absolutely everyone knows and sees this (well, except meybe you). And I haven't even mentioned a complete and total re-use of old assets like sound, animations and other stuff which is just lazy as F (not to mention that some of these assets and even mechanics ended up in Far Cry and other games they've made, which is a clear example of creative impotence and absolute lack of desire to make something new and unique).
You realize game devs trade gameplay ideas all the time right? You realize game devs reuse assets all the time right? You realize ALL big companies have and will always at some point reuse assets right? You realize that effort has to go into making that work? You're really considering asset reuse to be lazy? Ok so i'm pretty sure you've never worked on a game.

Again, stop trying to change my mind here cuz you clearly do not understand what I'm trying to say and you clearly do not know what a complete overhaul is. I've made an example and you still don't understand.. no, you simply do not want to understand because of one and very obvious reason.
Evidently YOU don't know what a complete overhaul is. A complete overhaul does not=series absolutely does not resemble itself whatsoever. Like I said before, this is like reading, "all x games in a series are the same"

Please, stop wasting my time with your useless arguments, I've better things to do with my life.
Excuse me for hoping you'd read or even watch something that is contrary to your claims. You're on a forum. If you're gonna make a claim than be ready for someone to post links that are contrary. I mean ffs I could've gone started linking their GDC presentations because at this point your claims are 100% and you obviously have no inkling of how game development works at large studios, (omg they reused assets so lazy!!11), cringe worthy arguments.

I just hope they don't take Syndicate's lower sales as a knock on the quality of that game. That game did so much right, both in gameplay and story, that it'd be a shame if they abandoned that for yet another dour revenge story. Best AC since Brotherhood, easily.

Look forward to whatever they come up with next year.
They're really proud of the reception of Syndicate as a first studio outing.

KJRS_1993

And I haven't even mentioned a complete and total re-use of old assets like sound, animations and other stuff which is just lazy as F (not to mention that some of these assets and even mechanics ended up in Far Cry and other games they've made, which is a clear example of creative impotence and absolute lack of desire to make something new and unique).

Haha,okay mate, you don't really know what you're on about much then. There's a number of ways to pick apart what you've said, but I get the feeling you're just here to chat shit and not actually discuss much. Reusing assets is a thing since forever - and not just in games. I'm 99% sure Nintendo still uses sound effects from Mario 64. I'd bet money that code in the latest addition of Microsoft Word is pulled straight from Word 2003. Stuff is always being reused - It's smart development.

Better things to do then sit and write four paragraphs of moaning and then leg it saying you don't want to talk about it? Yes fam.

chart281292812944se7.jpg

Assassin's Creed - ~11.28 million units sold
Assassin's Creed II - ~11.36 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - ~6.92 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - ~9.18 million units sold
Assassin's Creed III - ~13.05 million units sold
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - ~12.72 million units sold
Assassins Creed: Unity- ~7.66 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Rogue - ~2.38 million units sold
Assassin's Creed Syndicate - ~4.12 million units ​sold

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/ubisofts-assassins-creed-hiatus-is-a-300-million-dollar-investment-for-franchises-future#cHHrDlW4Mmej24sC.99

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Good for them, hope they feel the same way next year,
A: and the year after that, goto A:

Ashtar

That's crazy how in the world did revelation sell better than Brotherhood I guess people really like old Ezio , and he's one of the only gilf s in gaming. I didn't think revelations Es that well received it I guess it was which is why ac3 sold so well.

theWB27

Havnt played an Ass Creed game since 2. They promised so much on 1 & 2 and failed to deliver both times.

Heres hoping their new take on the franchise actually lives up to the original creators vision and not some annualised pumped out every year dog shit.

I remember they wanted momentum systems and all sorts of shit originally and it seems too much cash made them forget why they actually wanted to make this series.

Hasn't played a creed game since 2 and then goes on to say they're all dog shit. Not to mention throwing 2 under the bus when that's usually one of the favorites in the franchise.

Whoa....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good. I really like the series and I bought every main entry except Syndicate, Unity burned me out and I no longer want to go back to the same exact formula.

#MakeACgreatAgain

Syndicate is apparently good though. I just finished Rogue tonight after playing Unity in January and yeah: The fatigue for the series is real. I'll be getting the 2D spin-offs off Steam sometime in the summer/sale and waiting on Syndicate to hit $20 or so so maybe 2017 given Ubisoft. :/

That's crazy how in the world did revelation sell better than Brotherhood I guess people really like old Ezio , and he's one of the only gilf s in gaming. I didn't think revelations Es that well received it I guess it was which is why ac3 sold so well.

3 was the American Revolution so a lot of people bought it for the American Frontier and revisionist Fictional History of the American Revolution for Independence.

JackHerer

This is actually a great move by them and something that I hoped they would do at some point. The gameplay of AC is pretty mediocre except for the parkour I guess. I should say, I haven't beaten an AC game since AC3. I have played 4 and 5 but got bored pretty quickly so I never got hyped for Syndicate and thus never bought the game.

I will be interested to see what they come out with in the end. The IP has something special about it but they haven't been able to leverage very well. The settings they create and the basic concept of the game of playing as an assassin in a historic time period has a lot of appeal but the gameplay is underwhelming enough to discourage me from spending time in that world.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I hope they will release a bundle collection on PS4/Steam/XBox this year then.

Top Bottom