• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms there will be no Assassin's Creed in 2016

joecanada

Good. Syndicate was burned really badly by being hot off the heels of Unity. Not giving time to recover probably would have killed the franchise (and maybe even affected the movie's potential).

Wouldn't put it past them to meet halfway and have a game in March 2017. Though if they genuinely have no new AC until next holiday I'll be impressed.

Is Syndicate the one most people say is okay? I'm thinking of picking it up on sale later

That's crazy how in the world did revelation sell better than Brotherhood I guess people really like old Ezio , and he's one of the only gilf s in gaming. I didn't think revelations Es that well received it I guess it was which is why ac3 sold so well.

The only thing Revelations did wrong was copy+paste the previous game. It was just more Brotherhood, and not so bad. It also had the best implementation of multiplayer in the AC series so far (RIP AC MP).

AC3 was the first bad entry in the franchise, but Black Flag was saved by being quite a unique AC game and cross-gen making double dippers. But when Unity was bad, nothing could save Syndicate from flopping.

Is Syndicate the one most people say is okay? I'm thinking of picking it up on sale later

Yes, it's the newest one too.

Josh5890

chart281292812944se7.jpg

I swore off the franchise after 3. I was so excited for it, being the history buff I was and Ubisoft killed a part of me. Then I received Black Flag for Christmas and I had the most fun with an AC game since AC2. Unity was more of a copy and paste than a new experience. That is what I want with the Egypt game.

Boss Mog

Good, it means they're really taking their time with the Bakumatsu AC game.
ac_japan-640x377.jpg

I actually enjoyed Watch_Dogs, so I'm kind of glad to be getting a sequel instead this year.

grimmiq

This is good news for me, took a break after Black Flag, late last year I got a real craving for AC and played through Unity/Rogue/Syndicate/Shadow of Mordor back to back (just the main story parts, going mission to mission and ignoring side content/collectables), and I think I'm good for 1.5-2 years without touching one again.

VariantX

Good, this series has more franchise fatigue than any other outside sports

Nah, call of duty needs a break too. Rotate franchises instead of rotating teams on a single franchise.

That aside, this is a good thing for the franchise in the long run.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Haha,okay mate, you don't really know what you're on about much then. There's a number of ways to pick apart what you've said, but I get the feeling you're just here to chat shit and not actually discuss much. Reusing assets is a thing since forever - and not just in games. I'm 99% sure Nintendo still uses sound effects from Mario 64. I'd bet money that code in the latest addition of Microsoft Word is pulled straight from Word 2003. Stuff is always being reused - It's smart development.
I just want this series to be better and each game to be unique and not just in terms of setting and time period (this changes absolutely nothing). This whole thing about which I've talked about above is preventing me to enjoy these games cuz they are just too F similar to one another at their core. Why can't they change it like they did with POP 2008?

I'm sorry if it sounds like I have these games, but I don't hate them, I just want them to be better the way I (and many others) wan't them to be. Nothing more, nothing less. Please understand.

woen

That's crazy how in the world did revelation sell better than Brotherhood I guess people really like old Ezio , and he's one of the only gilf s in gaming. I didn't think revelations Es that well received it I guess it was which is why ac3 sold so well.

That's the only game that is a direct sequel and that has the fucking same hero/location/time period. Hell, first it was conceived as a DLC-add on.

Revelations had a new and fresh location, much older hero, felt like a different time period, and the come back of Altaïr. It was good marketed too.

Also as every AC thread since 4 years people are hoping the "formula" will change after the pause (insinuating there was no change since AC1). They already did lots of work with Unity (and Syndicate) but it will be the same universe and the same core game design because that is what people like. Obviously most of these people are not on neogaf to argue with the people that don't play AC games but are the first to
shitpost
comment on AC gaf threads. So you'll still play an assassin (or a templar) in a historical (urban) setting with assassination missions, close combat and stealth, and you'll be able to move around in and on the buildings, and yeah if you already don't like the games you won't like them any better in 2017 or 2018. If they need to change the big mechanics it will be in a spin-off like the three 2D Chronicles games.

By the way if Watch_Dogs is still very bankable, and other games (The Division etc.) become bankable or very bankable too, then they'll be able to release an Assassin every two years because it won't be their (almost) only source of revenue. Like 2016 WD2, 2017 new AC, 2018 WD3 etc., and in-between they can put a Far Cry sequel in the spring or during the fall, or a new IP or sequel to their new big games that succeeded (because they invest a lot in new IPs even if they are mostly flawed and sound like prototypes). They need that shift in their cycle and without WD2 in 2016 they couldn't have got their board to agree to a AC pause in 2016.

Madness

Good. Take your time with each game now.

Delaying just for the sake of delaying doesn't do anything. They need to really evaluate whether another game is even needed for years. I mean just because they skipped a year means what? That they'll offer something I wouldn't have done in AC2, Brotherhood, AC3, AC4 Black Flag, Unity etc.

The series has been milked nicely. They shouldn't bring it back for maybe 4+ years, maybe wait till the next gen or something. So that we're all wowed again. Otherwise honestly, what will they do more than Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate in terms of next gen?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
For when it comes to it . . . will it be?

Assassin's Creed II: The Movie: The Game
Assassin's Creed: The Movie II: The Game
Assassin's Creed: The Movie: The Game II

UrbanRats

Syndicate is a very solid entry, but it's not great.
In AC terms, it means it's still at the top of the pile though, given the lack of competition.

Also, it too, needed extra polish time, seeing how many crashes I've had on PC, forcing me to stop playing soon after I had completed the critical path.

Top Bottom