• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

p3tran

Banned
So Ubisoft would be

Just dance 4
Assassins Creed black flag

That's it? Don't think they'd put watch_dogs since its still selling

Unless they put last gen games then I'll pass on ubis service

they also have out some smaller games (rayman, valiant hearts, child of light, trials fusion) , plus I guess they have their pipelines full.
maybe can also pull a plus/gameswithgold and put a new (smaller) release day and date for retail and to vault too?

about past gen games... maybe hd remake of some games missing from next gen could work in its (vault) favor I think. how about stick of truth and maybe a spruced-up call of huarez, no?

anyway.. possibilities, they exist. I guess thats why some of us gave these news even a minute of our time.
let them fix their possibilities and see what they can offer us, and lets judge it from then.

After about a million posts about EA Access I still find it funny that when taking Sony into the conversation we're constantly reminded that Sony is in it for itself and doesn't give a fuck about us.

... yet the argument is that we shouldn't make assumptions about other companies intentions because they are good guy EA(Ubisoft) because as it stands now - it's a good "deal". Go figure.

These are giant corporations, there are no good guys or bad guys. The whole goal is to make money...

It's quite simple really.

In this case Sony see EA access (and all the other inevitable publisher programs) as a threat to them making money off of PS+ and PSnow. MS likely sees the same issue but they are vulnerable and looking for an edge over there rival.

IThis will also destroy any hopes Sony has of capitalizing on PS+ if company's like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision are offering monthly rentals of there next gen catalogue games for 5$ then what hope does PS+ stand offering singular last gen games at 5$/week.

Wasn't there some statistic some months ago about the massive uptake in PS+ subs with the PS4? I can almost guarantee that wasn't to do with the "free" games.

Now that PS+ is compulsory for most multiplayer games it doesn't really matter what games they have. If you have a PS4, and you want to play the majority of games online, you are going to subscribe.

omonimo

Banned
Just a simple apology for changing the subject mid discussion then calling me paranoid because I pointed out you were drastically editing your posts and then calling me pathetic for saying I couldn't understand your English.
You called me shithead & you want my excuse just because I said it's pathetic use my bad english to lead the discussion? O_O
Ok apologies.

Blakynt

Banned
So happy to have read mr Yoshida interview about this topic, He is absolutely right to have rejected EA Access. In fact he said

The statement might look aggressive. But the thinking behind it is, we just do not look at one proposition, like EA Access. We look at the whole offering of the titles or services on the platform, and we thought about the impact of having something like that as a new symptom. If every publisher follows suit, and as a consumer you have to choose by publisher which service to subscribe to, that's not something we believe is best for consumers.

So we are not just looking at that one proposition. We were thinking about the impact that might have for the future offering of products and services on PlayStation.

REV 09

If gamers find value in a service like this then I don't see how it's a bad thing. If the quality of titles decline or if prices increase then gamers can always vote with their wallets and cancel their subs. I just don't want to use this service on MS's platform. I'd be open to it on pc or ps4.

Jito

Banned
You called me shithead & you want my excuse just because I said it's pathetic use my bad english to lead the discussion? O_O
Ok apologies.

I called you a shit head after you called me pathetic, don't give shit if you can't take it mate.

Thanks for the apology, no hard feelings.

Takiyah

I'm just scared of a future where I'll need to pay for a service to keep track of all my services.

/slowlyputtingheadondeskandneverliftingitagain

Yes, they are not doing it at the moment. But thinking they won't is utterly naive.

Cool. If/when that happens I wont renew. $30 for this offer, however, is not the situation you're describing. And call me naive if you want. I just don't see it making any business sense to do what you're saying. Sorry.

Vhagar

Neo Member
So Ubisoft would be

Just dance 4
Assassins Creed black flag

That's it? Don't think they'd put watch_dogs since its still selling

They have plenty of stuff they can put on there in the near future:
Rayman Legends
Trials Frontier
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts

Jito

Banned
Nope.

I said it's pathetic. Quite different.

Not really, you're still insinuating that my actions were pathetic when it was far from it, I was leaving the discussion as you were having trouble communicating your point.

Either way mate just leave it, apologies all round.

shanafan

I like the innovation behind this. It's the digital age, and it's nice seeing companies capitalizing on it.

It's funny though, I was playing around with my NES over the weekend and I had to do the good old blow into the cartridge to get it working. I laughed to my friend and said "This wouldn't be a problem with digital games."

I do like my physical collection though.. But ah well, I'm excited for the changes!

omonimo

Banned
Not really, you're still insinuating that my actions were pathetic when it was far from it, I was leaving the discussion as you were having trouble communicating your point.

Either way mate just leave it, apologies all round.

Please, you have my excuse, but I'm not stupid. I said it's pathetic when someone tried to downplay the other opinion because the bad syntax. I have talked in general. Don't put in my mouth what I haven't said about you.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
*facepalm*

Competition to PS+ is Games with Gold, Ubi Access wouldn't even be competition it would be a subtraction with an additional cost.

Lets use the absolute worse case scenario and Every major publisher has their own thing, you're now left with a situation where Sony can only offer their own games and indies, of which Sony's been criticised of their PS4 PS+ offerings so far might I add, there is no capability of adding value to the service beyond that, and you'd still need PS+ anyway to play your UbEActiTakEnix games online.

It doesn't follow from publishers having their own services that they wouldn't put games on PS+ or GWG. They get money from those deals. Apple don't stop selling iPhones in other shops just because they have Apple stores.

Basically what you seem to be saying is that the worst-case-scenario is that Sony might be forced to improve PS+ somehow if they had competition. The horror. The humanity.

Jito

Banned
Please, you have my excuse, but I'm not stupid. I said it's pathetic when someone tried to downplay the other opinion because the bad syntax. I have talked in general. Don't put in my mouth what I haven't said about you.

Oh man you just can't leave it can you. I didn't once downplay your opinion, I simply said I cannot understand you. Pretty big different. So how about you don't put words in my mouth then?

Handy Fake

Oh man you just can't leave it can you. I didn't once downplay your opinion, I simply said I cannot understand you. Pretty big different. So how about you don't put words in my mouth then?

You two should just fuck and get it over with.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Just make sure you don't post anything negative about EA or Ubisoft on the internet or do anything that violates their ToS. Just more services you can get banned from.

tynestar

I'm a fan of this. Yes, I know it can always become something horrible but at this time it seems great to me. I can buy the games I play a lot just like I do now and "rent" the games I don't care enough about.

My example: Brother and I in different states rarely get to play together but when we do get a rare few days to play for hours we can pay $5 to play last years NHL, Madden, etc.

Again, I'm not the typical user but it works in my case. So far I have bought nothing, nice to know the option is there when or if I want to try it.

so sony is looking after our best interest? Have we seen this article?

Ryan wasn't the only PlayStation executive to broach the subject of EA Access recently. Worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida tells Eurogamer that if Sony were to introduce EA Access to PS4, it could lead to a situation where other publishers follow suit. And as a result, the consumer would have to choose by publisher which program to subscribe to. According to Yoshida, "That's not something we believe is best for consumers."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-boss-says-we-dont-have-anything-against-ea-acc/1100-6421805/

Lol, it's already the norm. PS+ says hi.

PS+ for $50/year I can handle. I also get other things with it, like online storage and other stuff that I'm sure you know enough about or else you wouldn't have made that comment. Even the $50/year for XBL doesn't sting that much to me.

PS+ for $50, XBL for $50, EA Access for $30, Ubi Access for $30, and Activistion Access for $30 I cannot handle. I mean, technically, I can but, it's not something I want to do.

Steroyd

These are giant corporations, there are no good guys or bad guys. The whole goal is to make money...

It's quite simple really.

In this case Sony see EA access (and all the other inevitable publisher programs) as a threat to them making money off of PS+ and PSnow. MS likely sees the same issue but they are vulnerable and looking for an edge over there rival.

EA Access is nowhere close to being a threat of PS+, or are you really going to tell me that people will cancel their PS+ subscription for EA Access, and if so who and why!?

I'd even make a point on similar lines with PSNOW, I'm not seeing EA port SSX to the PS4 for EA access, it's far more likely to hit PSNOW licencing notwithstanding and that service is aiming to reach out to tablets and Smart TV's, while EA access is just PS4.

bbjvc

Except that by the time you realise the program is too toxic for you, you've already invested too much into it, you've got too much content to just throw away and there's no real alternative because everything has been stripped away from non subscribers.

It's no longer the great deal you originally signed up for, it's all your gaming held hostage.

worst case scenario would be I don't play game anymore, plenty other things I can do with my life...

We'll see when you'll(I will be out like a warg outa hell long before) have a subscription service per publisher all withholding contents from games with plenty of trinkets attached to make people subscribe.
Including artificially delaying games a few days so select subscribers feel like they get it early.
Or making people pay for demos.

PS+ for $50/year I can handle. I also get other things with it, like online storage and other stuff that I'm sure you know enough about or else you wouldn't have made that comment. Even the $50/year for XBL doesn't sting that much to me.

PS+ for $50, XBL for $50, EA Access for $30, Ubi Access for $30, and Activistion Access for $30 I cannot handle. I mean, technically, I can but, it's not something I want to do.

These are catalogue games, as someone who thinks this whole thing is a great idea I can tell you right now I won't be dropping my money down for every subscription...

I'd have no problem dropping 5$ to give AC4 and Rayman legends a shot for the month but I likely won't be paying a yearly subscription to Ubisoft.

Mael

Does he not understand that I can still sign up for NONE of them. This isn't Xbox Live or PSN, you aren't forced to sign up for multiplayer access

Hey you're aren't forced to signup on live or ps+ if you see no value in what they propose.
I have a ps4 and don't pay a cent to Sony on that service.
Nobody's forcing me.
Hey nobody was forced into buying that horse armour all those years ago.

Mugatu

I think it would be great to have this - it's like Netflix or the library - I don't go back and play most games once I've beaten them so this is a great option for me. I'm sure nobody is going to stop selling games so you don't have to buy the sub if you don't want to.

Does he not understand that I can still sign up for NONE of them. This isn't Xbox Live or PSN, you aren't forced to sign up for multiplayer access
Of course you don't have to sign up to these. But then don't be surprised when they start hiding more and more content behind the paywall in order to 'add value'.

These are catalogue games, as someone who thinks this whole thing is a great idea I can tell you right now I won't be dropping my money down for every subscription...

I'd have no problem dropping 5$ to give AC4 and Rayman legends a shot for the month but I likely won't be paying a yearly subscription to Ubisoft.

You say that now. Then you get hit with early Access DLC and other things exclusive to Access members that used be open to everyone. Before you know it, you're subscribed to all of them and in their crap so deep that you're going to drown.

We're going to end up paying for the right to pay for their games.

Mugatu

Of course you don't have to sign up to these. But then don't be surprised when they start hiding more and more content behind the paywall in order to 'add value'.

Well you can be cynical and speculate that everything will turn out the absolute worst but that doesn't mean it's true. MS had to backtrack from hiding apps behind paywalls so the current trend is actually the opposite of this - more companies are actually moving toward adding value to dubs (usually with free games) instead of taking otherwise free features away.

Top Bottom