• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

cripterion

Ahem

Granted the thread wasn't long, but only because everyone was in an unanimous agreement that it was shit. lol.

4 pages of outrage on Neogaf does not equal unanimous agreement. I couldn't care less about what Gamestop offers when it doesn't even exist in my country for example. (Still can be salty about the incentive but that's about it :p)

100% agreed. One is entitled to his or her opinion, but a dash of skepticism never hurt anybody when dealing with a multi billion dollar industry that's modeling a new product after the 2 time worst company in America winner's latest offering.

See I find that something's wrong with people when they think all these gaming problems with EA = worst company in America. But that's just me. If gamers could get a bit of perspective for fucks sake.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I don't think it's just EA/Ubi/Activison that have the option to do this sub plan. Square Enix, and Take Two could probably put together a decent library, as well. And when they create their plans, I don't think it'll be the exact same thing that EA does either. Maybe Square creates a plan that goes across current gen, and last gen platforms like ps+... Maybe Take Two throws something out there that includes a season pass along with access to new and old games. Who knows.

Gurrry

Honestly, once there are more games on access, Ill buy a year sub.

For now though, it needs some time to cook.

Ubi will be next. Everyone saw that coming.

I just wish someone could put them all under one app and one sub rather than making me pick and choose which ones I want to sign up for.

Steroyd

4 pages of outrage on Neogaf does not equal unanimous agreement. I couldn't care less about what Gamestop offers when it doesn't even exist in my country for example. (Still can be salty about the incentive but that's about it :p)

?

You brought up Gamestop, I gave an example of people giving a fuck about Gamestop's shitty decisions, of course no-one would give a fuck if it isn't in their country, because the same practice would go to a different retailer, like GAME in the UK for example.

I won't be touching any of these 3rd party publisher subscription services unless they offer massive discounts on all season passes or include them all for free.

10% discounts on already over-inflated digital prices do nothing for me.
6 hours access to a game i'll probably be getting anyway does nothing for me.
I don't really like 'big' franchises like Battlefield/Assassins Creed/Call of Duty/FIFA/Madden etc.

Very little value in them for me. I would however subscribe if all Far Cry DLC was included as part of the deal.

We'll be stopping our Xbox Live subscription once the current year ends as we don't get the value from that now either. We haven't bought a 360 game in a while and it looks like we'll be waiting a while for an Xbox One.

Personally, PS+ is the only subscription service that offers me value. 6 games a month across three platforms I own. Some of those games are eligible for cross-buy.

A narrower form of PS+, which is what 3rd party publishers will be doing (minus the cross buy) really doesn't offer me value.

JaggedSac

I won't be touching any of these 3rd party publisher subscription services unless they offer massive discounts on all season passes or include them all for free.

10% discounts on already over-inflated digital prices do nothing for me.
6 hours access to a game i'll probably be getting anyway does nothing for me.
I don't really like 'big' franchises like Battlefield/Assassins Creed/Call of Duty/FIFA/Madden etc.

Very little value in them for me. I would however subscribe if all Far Cry DLC was included as part of the deal.

We'll be stopping our Xbox Live subscription once the current year ends as we don't get the value from that now either. We haven't bought a 360 game in a while and it looks like we'll be waiting a while for an Xbox One.

Personally, PS+ is the only subscription service that offers me value. 6 games a month across three platforms I own. Some of those games are eligible for cross-buy.

A narrower form of PS+, which is what 3rd party publishers will be doing (minus the cross buy) really doesn't offer me value.

I'd like to get in touch with you. Is it galvanise@sony.com?

flkraven

What??

Update: EA has clarified that there will be no demo on any platform. EA Access will allow subscribers on Xbox One to access a full trial of the game before release.

“There will be no Madden NFL 15 demo this year on any platform and that was a decision made by the studio completely separate from EA Access,” an EA representative told me via email. “EA Access does not have any impact on our demo programs for our games. EA Access offers full trials of the game before the release date, but not demos.”

So, it's not a demo. It's exactly what was described in the original EA access reveal...

daniels

What??

So, it's not a demo. It's exactly what was described in the original EA access reveal...

"While this may indeed be true, the timing is peculiar. EA Access coincides perfectly with the scrapped demo and early access on Xbox One, creating an incentive—incidental or otherwise—to sign up."

Its all just a coincident nothing to see here.

"While this may indeed be true, the timing is peculiar. EA Access coincides perfectly with the scrapped demo and early access on Xbox One, creating an incentive—incidental or otherwise—to sign up."

You're really reaching...

yes i agree with it and no its not reaching.

It's exactly what was announced, and a demo or full game trial is not locking content behind a paywall. The demo, if they had released one, would have been free. You, as a customer, would have paid nothing for the demo. So, that demo being canceled has caused you absolutely no loss.

If you bought the game for $60, and then content was taken away from you and put behind a paygate, then that would be a very different situation. Your purchase would indeed be worth less.

So yes, it is completely reaching and frankly ridiculous to state that canceling a free demo is the same thing as locking content behind a paygate for customers.

Netprints

I have to say I like this EA access. I bought the sub for the whole year and I started to play FIFA last night because it is in the vault. Its a game I would never go out and buy. I am having a lot of fun with it already. It has allowed me to try new things without investing a lot of money into it.

daniels

a demo or full game trial is not locking content behind a paywall. The demo, if they had released one, would have been free. You, as a customer, would have paid nothing for the demo. So, that demo being canceled has caused you absolutely no loss.

I dont even know what to say... yeah i would have paid nothing for a demo, but now i have the fortune of paying for it because of ea access.
So if i dont have ea access i have lost nothing ?? Is that what you are saying??i dont get it..

Nibiru

Banned
This is great! The more monthly subs the better. I can't wait until I'm paying $100 a month in gaming subs!

The best part will be when basic things start getting put behind these paywalls. Great future for gaming indeed:(

flkraven

Is this for real? I quote the factual part of the article, and then you quote the part where the author makes a baseless guess as a response? Xbox 360 required that all companies create demos, and now that requirement no longer exists, so demos are less likely from all developers. Is there even a demo for Madden 25 on Xbox One/PS4 currently?

daniels

The baseless guess part.

Well its just my opinion that it is not just a coincident.
But i am not a particular smart dude so let me try this from a other angle.
Do you agree that EA access means that the probability of getting free demos outside of EA acess is reduced in future?
If you dont agree than i guess i dont know what to say and its all "lets agree to disagree" since i wont chance my opinion.
But if you agree doesnt that mean that everyone that doesnt pay for ea access is now worse off because of ea access?

The baseless guess part.

Edit: I would also like to add that I've confirmed there is no Madden 25 demo on PS4, so this convenient timing just got less convenient.

Oh shush! You are ruining the narrative with your "facts."

People keep bringing up the slippery slope argument but if it gets really bad then people will bail on it. But what about locking content behind the subscription you say... Well then vote with your wallet and resist the urge to get that content. There are plenty of games that release DLC that I choose not to buy because the value proposition isn't there for me but I'm still able to fully enjoy the game. People keep thinking they're going to be forced in to doing something when they have complete free will to not purchase something if they disagree with the practice.

Well its just my opinion that it is not just a coincident.
But i am not a particular smart dude so let me try this from a other angle.
Do you agree that EA access means that the probability of getting free demos outside of EA acess is reduced in future?
If you dont agree than i guess i dont know what to say and its all "lets agree to disagree" since i wont chance my opinion.
But if you agree doesnt that mean that everyone that doesnt pay for ea access is now worse off because of ea access?

Changing the goals... cool.

daniels

Changing the goals... cool.

Nothing changed its still about locking stuff behind ea access that we otherwise would get witouth paying for a subsciption
So you dont agree that ea access means that we will get less free demos in the future.. Well i also think in the future they will lock dlc behind ea access. So lets agree to disagree.

xblarcade

Depends really.

If EA see demos as sales tools (get people excited about upcoming games, hoping they will buy them) then yes. If they see them as freebies for people who like their products then probably not.

daniels

Depends really.

If EA see demos as sales tools (get people excited about upcoming games, hoping they will buy them) then yes. If they see them as freebies for people who like their products then probably not.

I agree and since i only can judge EA from past experiences, consumer relations and behaviour i dont know why i should trust them with this.
For me its actually really simple i just look at past behaviour+companys new service,product,whatever+room for abuse= my opinion.
And thats how my opinion is formed and if it comes out not favorable for EA or any other company its not really my problem, but if still trust them its really my fault and bad jugdment if i get fooled again..
Of course you can get lucky but eh i rather not gamble with the future of my favorite hobby.

RibMan

Blame Sony for popularizing subscription models it was only a matter of time before someone copied them

That's like saying "Blame Volvo for popularizing seat belts" or "Blame Adidas for popularizing studs". Subscription models work when the value from subscribing outweighs the value from not subscribing. There's a good way of doing business and there's a bad way of doing business - all major companies are guilty of both.

Let's be honest for a second. Are EA known for good business practices or bad business practices?

Based on EA's numerous business practices and Worst Company in America Awards performance over the years, I think the majority of gamers would agree with me when I say EA's way of doing business leans more towards the bad way of doing business. This is why people are concerned about Ubisoft and other major publishers getting involved in software subscriptions. There's nothing wrong with copying a good idea, however, there's everything wrong with copying a good idea in a bad way.

Perhaps I'm being overcautious, but this is one of those cases where I'd much rather be completely wrong than completely right.

Top Bottom