• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UDK Thread: Unreal Development Kit

Have any of you guys ever played around with the terrain editor of UDK? I have never used it, so I will try it now, see how it works :p

I'll be following a couple tutorials and post the results later today!

Also I'm finally installing this month's UDK and damn.. it's taking forever to install.

I've been interested on this for a long time and I'm finally trying to learn how to do stuff. I've tried Cry Engine 3 too and even though some things are easier or more accessible (editing terrain, snapping meshes to it, setting the lighting up) I think it's better if I stick with UDK.

Years ago I tried to learn how to model with 3dsmax but I forgot everything and now I'm trying to find the strength to learn some Maya, but damn, the interface is pretty frustrating... :( I guess if I get my drawing tablet working it'll be easier.

So anyway, what tutorials will you be using? What other tutorials would people recommend? I want to learn how to create materials with some guide instead of just messing around, basic kismet and basic modelling too?

Mik2121

I've been interested on this for a long time and I'm finally trying to learn how to do stuff. I've tried Cry Engine 3 too and even though some things are easier or more accessible (editing terrain, snapping meshes to it, setting the lighting up) I think it's better if I stick with UDK.

Years ago I tried to learn how to model with 3dsmax but I forgot everything and now I'm trying to find the strength to learn some Maya, but damn, the interface is pretty frustrating... :( I guess if I get my drawing tablet working it'll be easier.

So anyway, what tutorials will you be using? What other tutorials would people recommend? I want to learn how to create materials with some guide instead of just messing around, basic kismet and basic modelling too?
There are a bunch of tutorials on the OP, I'll be following the 3DBuzz tutorials and also the UDK website.

As for modeling, I'd say doing the actual modeling is much easier in 3DSMax than Maya, but Maya has better compatibility with other software (3DSMax works great with UDK, ZBrush, etc.. though).

Regarding the other stuff you want to learn.. again, the CGTuts videos.

There are a bunch of tutorials on the OP, I'll be following the CGTuts tutorials and also the UDK website.

As for modeling, I'd say doing the actual modeling is much easier in 3DSMax than Maya, but Maya has better compatibility with other software (3DSMax works great with UDK, ZBrush, etc.. though).

Regarding the other stuff you want to learn.. again, the CGTuts videos.

Oh, hadn't noticed you had updated the OP, I'll take a look now at those and at CGTuts. I learnt the basic stuff with worldofleveldesign and didn't know of other sites, thanks. About Max and Maya, I guess I'll try to learn a little bit of both and then choose one then. Thanks again.

strata8

1.make train
tumblr_l90ap2M2T81qzevzd.jpg

Mik2121

Uhm... the 3DBuzz tuts are for the Terrain tool, but it seems Landscape is better, so I will have to search for tutorials for it.

I will also have to read about what's the difference between Terrain and Landscape, and which one is better for smaller environments (it seems to be Landscape for any case... and Terrain still stay as a legacy tool).

Edit: After some searching, it seems Landscape is there indeed as a the new Terrain editor, making Terrain Tool obsolete. Apparently it was buggy earlier, but now it works fine, which is great. I will jump straight onto it and skip Terrain Tool (which apparently doesn't change all that much from back in UT2k3/2k4 and I know how to use that one, so whatever :p)

Blizzard

Banned
Have any of you guys ever played around with the terrain editor of UDK? I have never used it, so I will try it now, see how it works :p

Also I'm finally installing this month's UDK and damn.. it's taking forever to install.
I think I messed with it (the original terrain editor) a little. If you don't mean landscapes, I definitely recommend trying the new landscape system, however. I assume that's the main focus of UDK landscaping in the future, with the new foliage integration and whatnot.

*edit* I replied to soon and see you already figured this out yourself. =P Yes, landscape is new, landscape has gotten better (though it probably still has bugs for all I know), and foliage was FINALLY integrated again earlier this year if I recall correctly. So you should be able to do some sort of land with plants if you don't want to place lots of meshes by hand, I guess.

Mik2121

I think I messed with it (the original terrain editor) a little. If you don't mean landscapes, I definitely recommend trying the new landscape system, however. I assume that's the main focus of UDK landscaping in the future, with the new foliage integration and whatnot.

*edit* I replied to soon and see you already figured this out yourself. =P Yes, landscape is new, landscape has gotten better (though it probably still has bugs for all I know), and foliage was FINALLY integrated again earlier this year if I recall correctly. So you should be able to do some sort of land with plants if you don't want to place lots of meshes by hand, I guess.

Yeah, I know Landscapes was integrated earlier this year and foliage is available. I have already played around with it now, but I need to learn how to apply materials, as it works different than with the Terrain Editor. I already found a video on Youtube, so I will get a couple terrain textures ready first before jumping into it (I like to work with my own material).

(._.)

Banned

Yea I have used it a couple times. I like how easy it is to get a fairly simple sloppy one up in a matter of minutes.

There is one in unity also but I think the one in UDK is better.

EDIT: It would also be cool if we could maybe we could make this a 3d modeling thread also since I know that is a pretty important skill to have when using an engine like UDK.

Mik2121

Alright, started practicing with the Landscape tool. Right now I only made two textures (sandy soil and rocky cliff), they don't mix together very well, but for test's sake...

uUfYe.jpg

Even with just one more texture, all the blendings would look much better, but for now this is good enough to practice. I'm digging this tool! :)

Yea I have used it a couple times. I like how easy it is to get a fairly simple sloppy one up in a matter of minutes.

EDIT: It would also be cool if we could maybe we could make this a 3d modeling thread also since I know that is a pretty important skill to have when using an engine like UDK.

There's a modeling thread! I don't remember exactly the url, but I believe we had one going on some time ago :p

Blizzard

Banned

As long as it's discussion about making models to be used in the UDK, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me since this is such a low-traffic thread. If you were trying to make models for CryEngine 3 or something, then that would be more appropriate for the CryEngine 3 thread (or potentially a general modeling thread) in my opinion.

Alright, started practicing with the Landscape tool. Right now I only made two textures (sandy soil and rocky cliff), they don't mix together very well, but for test's sake...

Even with just one more texture, all the blendings would look much better, but for now this is good enough to practice. I'm digging this tool! :)
That looks pretty good already! My biggest concern would be how good it looks with normal mesh buildings, trees, and player models added. How does it handle collision? If I want to go running up a mountain is that basically plug and play?

One of the things that made me sad was that apparently some engine(s) have nice road creation mechanisms, but apparently it's a huge pain to do in the UDK. I think your options are lofted splines or giant meshes, and there isn't an easy way to make either work with landscapes and whatnot. Sadly, the discussion immediately got shutdown and the most helpful person in the thread kept having posts edited or deleted because mods thought they were too related to other engines even though we were asking/trying to figure out how to do stuff in the UDK. =( I hope the UDK community doesn't basically die because of stuff like that.

Mik2121

That looks pretty good already! My biggest concern would be how good it looks with normal mesh buildings, trees, and player models added. How does it handle collision? If I want to go running up a mountain is that basically plug and play?

One of the things that made me sad was that apparently some engine(s) have nice road creation mechanisms, but apparently it's a huge pain to do in the UDK. I think your options are lofted splines or giant meshes, and there isn't an easy way to make either work with landscapes and whatnot. Sadly, the discussion immediately got shutdown and the most helpful person in the thread kept having posts edited or deleted because mods thought they were too related to other engines even though we were asking/trying to figure out how to do stuff in the UDK. =( I hope the UDK community doesn't basically die because of stuff like that.

I will try to set up some extra meshes and the like. But it shouldn't look all that bad... Though I'd rather add also extra meshes for the cliffs, as the textures get very stretched in those areas.

As for the collision, it's the same as the mesh, so yeah you can go and run up a mountain while you paint it :p.

As for the roads and the like... yeah. Right now the best option is to export the heightmap to whatever 3D modeling software, apply it to a highly subdivided plane and then build the road there. Then just export it, and that's it. It's not as easy to do as with other engines, but at least you can export the heightmap so it's not that bad..

I don't think the UDK community will die though, there's more people than ever working with it, even after the CryEngine SDK released.

Blizzard

Banned

Mik2121

Arfhghh...

Yesterday I fell asleep while playing around with UDK :p

Anyway, see the image I posted above.. it looks alright, but the scale was completely off. I placed a couple props I had and they all looked so tiny. I will do another landscape later today, prepare a third material, and then see how it all looks.

Blizzard

Banned
Arfhghh...

Yesterday I fell asleep while playing around with UDK :p

Anyway, see the image I posted above.. it looks alright, but the scale was completely off. I placed a couple props I had and they all looked so tiny. I will do another landscape later today, prepare a third material, and then see how it all looks.
Let us know how it turns out. Even "simple" stuff can look pretty neat, though the green is probably way too saturated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQl_EUTBdM (I linked this earlier so it's a repost). I don't know whether they're using landscape or terrain, but I would guess landscape since it's a relatively recent video.

And since I got distracted by related videos, have some YouTube UDK stuff, everyone:

DataCore, little scifi UDK scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQkDnK6T0w0

Mountain scene (mountains are a static mesh, apparently): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eixktLyvKw

Pretty autumn colors park scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhGvItExEc0

For people who like Mirror's Edge or crazy reflective surfaces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5XTQxzydZQ

(._.)

Banned
uUfYe.jpg

Did you make those materials yourself or did you DL them somewhere?

Like once you have all the geometry for your terrain did you just mess around with the brushes that allow you to paint on the material the way you want? I think you can brush plants on also which is pretty cool.

As long as it's discussion about making models to be used in the UDK, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me since this is such a low-traffic thread. If you were trying to make models for CryEngine 3 or something, then that would be more appropriate for the CryEngine 3 thread (or potentially a general modeling thread) in my opinion.
I feel like this thread can just serve as a general game engine, personal project, level design and modeling discussion thread.

I just want more people to talk to that work in 3ds max.

Mik2121

Did you make those materials yourself or did you DL them somewhere?

Like once you have all the geometry for your terrain did you just mess around with the brushes that allow you to paint on the material the way you want? I think you can brush plants on also which is pretty cool.

I feel like this thread can just serve as a general game engine, personal project, level design and modeling discussion thread.

I just want more people to talk to that work in 3ds max.

I made the materials myself. Got tons of original textures (ie. photos) and free public material from various texture websites. Spent some time on Photoshop cleaning up the textures and making them tileable, then just get some normal map and specular map working, set up the material editor, and there you go! :p

As for this thread having other purposes.. I would like to keep other game engines outside this thread. Some simple modeling tips and the like, sure.. but having talks about Unity or CryEngine should stay somewhere else.

Ah, if you want I can set up a live streaming showing how to prepare some simple materials, make the normal maps and spec, then setting them up inside UDK. I only did it once yesterday (the setup for Landscape, that is), but I think I already memorized it.

The M.O.B

I do 3DS Max modeling and UDK. I've been doing Max for about 2 years now and only recently got into UDK this year. Haven't had much time(or motivation) to do much work this semester, but will probably frequent this thread more in a couple of weeks after my classes are over and I can start a smallish project I can finish over winter break.

I'm also going to start practicing making/editing textures taken by camera and drawing them by hand.

Mik2121

I do 3DS Max modeling and UDK. I've been doing Max for about 2 years now and only recently got into UDK this year. Haven't had much time(or motivation) to do much work this semester, but will probably frequent this thread more in a couple of weeks after my classes are over and I can start a smallish project I can finish over winter break.

I'm also going to start practicing making/editing textures taken by camera and drawing them by hand.

Good luck with that! :) Dunno if you know the site, but www.polycount.com is very helpful for that kind of stuff :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I started to enrich myself by learning UDK. The 3D Buzz tutorials are phenomenal. I'm about to hit how to light a level and I am really enjoying myself. I still gotta learn 3d modelling though so that I can make my own static meshes.

I started to enrich myself by learning UDK. The 3D Buzz tutorials are phenomenal. I'm about to hit how to light a level and I am really enjoying myself. I still gotta learn 3d modelling though so that I can make my own static meshes.

I'm on the same boat. Thanks to the OP tutorials and some others I found on youtube I'm now learning to use volumes, jump pads, ladders and those things. Next thing I want to learn is how to make an automatic door :p

I'm also looking at the starter gametypes on the Epic website to see how Kismet works. I understand the logic mostly but the hard part is actually placing and linking what I want :( Still have to create mats, textures and meshes but I guess that will come later. A video of how you created those materials would be nice anyway and it would help greatly, Mik2121 :)

I find 3d modelling kinda frustrating even for extremely simple shapes. I mean, I apply poly edit and then symmetry but it never works :( I guess I have to specify where is the center of symmetry or something but I haven't been able to find out how and I'd rather not waste time fumbling until I really feel like I need it.

I'm glad to see some more activity on this thread!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm on the same boat. Thanks to the OP tutorials and some others I found on youtube I'm now learning to use volumes, jump pads, ladders and those things. Next thing I want to learn is how to make an automatic door :p

I'm also looking at the starter gametypes on the Epic website to see how Kismet works. I understand the logic mostly but the hard part is actually placing and linking what I want :( Still have to create mats, textures and meshes but I guess that will come later. A video of how you created those materials would be nice anyway and it would help greatly, Mik2121 :)

I find 3d modelling kinda frustrating even for extremely simple shapes. I mean, I apply poly edit and then symmetry but it never works :( I guess I have to specify where is the center of symmetry or something but I haven't been able to find out how and I'd rather not waste time fumbling until I really feel like I need it.

I'm glad to see some more activity on this thread!
I started teaching myself 3D modeling stuff with Blender (see the first page of this thread), and I think it's a different set of skills and possibly even more work than making simple maps. It takes time and patience and is probably not for everyone.

Regarding jump pads, how did you do those in the UDK? Or did you mean you used the UT3 editor to use built-in jump pads?

Mik2121

I can either make a video or put up some live streaming on ustream or something, which I believe saves the video for others to watch later, anyway.

I can explain how to set up certain basic stuff, how to prepare some simple materials out of photos (though for good materials you need to spend quite a bit of time on Photoshop cleaning up the texture, etc...), and how to prepare some basic Landscape scene and it's own material.

Also if there's some time left, I can jump into 3DSMax and do some basic modeling for you guys to get an idea. Both modeling from photo sources (which, honestly, nobody usually does :p) which gives you some really fast results, and also basic modeling + UV unwrapping + texturing (which is the process 99.9% of the times).

PS. I don't like talking in English via webcam or stuff like that so I'd rather do live streaming with the chat window so I can chat with you guys, rather than a simple video with, well.. no voice :p

Blizzard

Banned
I can either make a video or put up some live streaming on ustream or something, which I believe saves the video for others to watch later, anyway.

I can explain how to set up certain basic stuff, how to prepare some simple materials out of photos (though for good materials you need to spend quite a bit of time on Photoshop cleaning up the texture, etc...), and how to prepare some basic Landscape scene and it's own material.

Also if there's some time left, I can jump into 3DSMax and do some basic modeling for you guys to get an idea. Both modeling from photo sources (which, honestly, nobody usually does :p) which gives you some really fast results, and also basic modeling + UV unwrapping + texturing (which is the process 99.9% of the times).

PS. I don't like talking in English via webcam or stuff like that so I'd rather do live streaming with the chat window so I can chat with you guys, rather than a simple video with, well.. no voice :p
While that sounds good, honestly a recorded video is probably the best option since it seems unlikely you will find a time that interested people will be able to watch a live stream.

And then if you want to do the effort of recording it and don't want to talk, you can always add youtube annotations or something.

(._.)

Banned
I'd like some help with materials and UV unwrapping. I already know the basics of unwrapping but material making is a craft in of itself. I haven't really looked at anything online about it so I guess I'll get back to ya and ask some questions when I need some feedback.

I'm trying to texture this building I made.

DsVyo.jpg

I already had some on it already but they looked bad...

Blizzard

Banned
I'd like some help with materials and UV unwrapping. I already know the basics of unwrapping but material making is a craft in of itself. I haven't really looked at anything online about it so I guess I'll get back to ya and ask some questions when I need some feedback.

I'm trying to texture this building I made.

DsVyo.jpg

I already had some on it already but they looked bad...
Are you intending it to be a lifesize building that players will walk past on the street as a closeup view, or is it going to be part of a 3D backdrop that they will never be close to? If it's the second, then using some large textures and a single static mesh could work I guess, but if it needs to be seen closeup, then I -highly- recommend making it out of modular pieces.

With modular pieces I guess you need to worry about lighting seam problems, but still. You could also experiment with ProcBuilding or whatever they're called, depends what tools you have access to I guess.

Mik2121

While that sounds good, honestly a recorded video is probably the best option since it seems unlikely you will find a time that interested people will be able to watch a live stream.

And then if you want to do the effort of recording it and don't want to talk, you can always add youtube annotations or something.
I was planning on just recording with at least 1 or 2 people on the chat, then just saving the video and having it available for everybody else. Some really simple stuff though, nothing very advanced (3d-wise, anyway), seeing how many people here might not even know how to use many of the tools.

If so, I can set up a streaming in a bit :) (if anyone is interested)

(._.)

Banned
The player will be walking around in my scene. That model the player will be very close to. broke the model down and detached many parts of it. I don't think you could really say that particular piece was made with modular modeling. I made that for a class but I would like to make a UDK scene using what I know. I may end up having that model in the scene and then make a couple more buildings that can have parts that can be swapped with. I have the modeling portion of things down. I just haven't messed much with importing into UDK and I am very new to making materials.

Mik2121

Uhm, I can give you some tips if you want. I will try to find some alright software to stream from my desktop and then set up the whole thing on ustream. I will record it over there I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
The player will be walking around in my scene. That model the player will be very close to. broke the model down and detached many parts of it. I don't think you could really say that particular piece was made with modular modeling. I made that for a class but I would like to make a UDK scene using what I know. I may end up having that model in the scene and then make a couple more buildings that can have parts that can be swapped with. I have the modeling portion of things down. I just haven't messed much with importing into UDK and I am very new to making materials.
Gotcha. That's such a uniform building that it probably COULD be made with the UDK procedural building stuff, but placing it by hand should get better results as long as you can figure out some solution to lighting seams on adjacent pieces.

ANYWAY, long story short is to learn to texture a very simple object first, like a chair with two textures (seat and everything else). Then move on to part of your building, etc. That's my suggestion at least!

Mik, I only have access to Blender so your 3D modeling video might not help me specifically, but go for it if you're passionate about it, since it might help others!

Mik2121

Alright, I'm setting it up right now. I'm using the free version of WebcamMax so there's a stupid watermark on the top, but for today this will be all I can do. I will try to find some free software another day :p

Mik2121

Alright, I set it up here instead:

http://www.livestream.com/MikStreams?t=957678

I took the resolution down to 1280x720 and still there seems to be some lag and the image is blurry.. but this is about as much as I can do right now. If it's too bad, I will try again with the other software and using ustream instead!.

Also, if anyone joins, enter the livestream chat (it should let you choose from Livestream / Facebook / Twitter)

Mik2121

Just did one streaming with The M.O.B but it was kinda random. I did two materials (grass and cliff wall) but didn't spend much time on the textures themselves. I ended up setting up a small terrain and applying all the materials, but just that (without grass, other meshes, etc...) doesn't really look all that hot :p

Anyway, next time I will spend more time and also show how to do some basic 3D stuff for those that don't know, and spend a bit more time on the textures (I seriously only did some basic stamp tool cleaning to get rid of the edges so the textures would tile, and also a bit of color correction......)

In the end it was all about 1 hour:

- Finding the original textures
- Cleaning them up and making them tileable
- Creating the spec and normal maps
- Creating the materials inside UDK
- Setting up the final shader for the terrain
- Creating the terrain itself and setting up the scene

All in all, it should have taken about 20 minutes if things were smooth, but the computer had some severe slow-downs because of the streaming, and ended up spending a lot of time inside UDK waiting for anything to... move. Usually it goes silky smooth, so I guess it's the stupid streaming app I used.

Thanks Blizzard, I'll try Blender again (I've had it installed for months but the install got corrupted and it didn't boot...) and see if I "get it" faster :)

A shame I completely missed the livestream, but! I'll watch the record tomorrow, thanks for that Mik, watching the whole process will help a lot :D.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks Blizzard, I'll try Blender again (I've had it installed for months but the install got corrupted and it didn't boot...) and see if I "get it" faster :)

A shame I completely missed the livestream, but! I'll watch the record tomorrow, thanks for that Mik, watching the whole process will help a lot :D.
Try one of the recent Blender installs, since the new versions have a different UI from the old ones. That may be confusing, but there should be plenty of tutorials that use the new UI now, and if you're patient you can even figure stuff out from the old ones.

Another piece of advice is to look up the Blender IRC channel (there may be more than one, but especially http://webchat.freenode.net/, #blender channel) and just idle there while you work. The people there are VERY nice if you politely ask for help and are patient, and some of them know some crazy things. When I used to hang out there, there was even a guy who worked at Pixar and he was messing with Blender, which was cool.

Mik2121

Hi ho. I will do the streaming again because yesterday's was a bit of a mess. I will get some photo resources ready first instead of spending 10 minutes looking for some...

It's still around 8pm or so over there, right? If anyone is up to it, I can do one in about an hour. I can show some modeling basics too (with 3DSMax, but they apply to any other software as well).

Blizzard

Banned
Hi ho. I will do the streaming again because yesterday's was a bit of a mess. I will get some photo resources ready first instead of spending 10 minutes looking for some...

It's still around 8pm or so over there, right? If anyone is up to it, I can do one in about an hour. I can show some modeling basics too (with 3DSMax, but they apply to any other software as well).
I am posting this about 12 p.m. east coast U.S. time, 9 p.m. west coast U.S. time. I gotta go to bed for the work week, but good luck!

By the way, I think CamStudio is a free/open-source recording tool for tutorials etc., if you want to try a recording route instead of streaming. I don't know what sort of overhead it would cause though, and you would probably want to reduce the fps to say, 30 before recording.

Mik2121

Dang, already midnight over there? I just thought it would be better to do the streaming first just in case anyone wants to ask something, I could help right there.

I know someone else wanted to see how I prepared the materials, and someone else see how to do some 3D stuff... so if they show up now and are still awake, let me know! :)

Try one of the recent Blender installs, since the new versions have a different UI from the old ones. That may be confusing, but there should be plenty of tutorials that use the new UI now, and if you're patient you can even figure stuff out from the old ones.

Another piece of advice is to look up the Blender IRC channel (there may be more than one, but especially http://webchat.freenode.net/, #blender channel) and just idle there while you work. The people there are VERY nice if you politely ask for help and are patient, and some of them know some crazy things. When I used to hang out there, there was even a guy who worked at Pixar and he was messing with Blender, which was cool.

Wow, a lot more people than I thought on that IRC channel. I'll idle there while I try to get things working, thanks again :)

Also, it was 6 AM where I live when you posted that last message, Mik... :p Living in three different corners of the world kinda sucks.

Mik2121

Dang. Where do you live? BTW, if you're a student you might be able to grab the Student License for 3DSMax. If you plan on ever get into serious modeling and join the game / movie / advertising industry via 3D modeling, I would suggest you learning how to use it, or / and Maya.

Dang. Where do you live? BTW, if you're a student you might be able to grab the Student License for 3DSMax. If you plan on ever get into serious modeling and join the game / movie / advertising industry via 3D modeling, I would suggest you learning how to use it, or / and Maya.

I'm from Spain :)

Yeah, where I study we use Autocad so getting student Autodesk licenses shouldn't be a problem, they even have 3DSMax installed because the teachers want to learn it as well and that's where I've been practicing. And I hope I can join the industry someday, yeah, hard as it might be.

I think the hardest part may be organizing what you do... when you want to learn some Python to learn how to program even if a little, texturing, modelling, and overall designing it can get overwhelming. But hey, it's fun.

Mik2121

I'm from Spain :)

Yeah, where I study we use Autocad so getting student Autodesk licenses shouldn't be a problem, they even have 3DSMax installed because the teachers want to learn it as well and that's where I've been practicing. And I hope I can join the industry someday, yeah, hard as it might be.

I think the hardest part may be organizing what you do... when you want to learn some Python to learn how to program even if a little, texturing, modelling, and overall designing it can get overwhelming. But hey, it's fun.

Ah joer, no sabía que eras de España xd. Yo también lo soy! Aunque ahora vivo en Japón.
Anyway, and just so everybody can understand what we're talking about...

Are you in some sort of technical school or a university? If it's a University and you got your own email address, try registering on the Autodesk website. The Student License is free and it lets you download all the Autodesk packages including older versions of some of them (all the way down to version 2010 of 3DSMax and Maya, as far as I remember).

As for things getting overwhelming, if you take it slowly it really isn't all that bad. Sure, it will take you a while, but in less than a year you should be able to do some really neat stuff :)

BTW, what do you plan on creating the most? Characters (and creatures, animals, etc..) or Environment? I do mostly Environment with a bit of creature modeling, but not really all that much into humans and the like...

Ah joer, no sabía que eras de España xd. Yo también lo soy! Aunque ahora vivo en Japón.
Anyway, and just so everybody can understand what we're talking about...

Are you in some sort of technical school or a university? If it's a University and you got your own email address, try registering on the Autodesk website. The Student License is free and it lets you download all the Autodesk packages including older versions of some of them (all the way down to version 2010 of 3DSMax and Maya, as far as I remember).

As for things getting overwhelming, if you take it slowly it really isn't all that bad. Sure, it will take you a while, but in less than a year you should be able to do some really neat stuff :)

BTW, what do you plan on creating the most? Characters (and creatures, animals, etc..) or Environment? I do mostly Environment with a bit of creature modeling, but not really all that much into humans and the like...

Anda xD Terminaremos dominando el mundo, mola tener un compatriota por aquí.

Anyway... technical school, we just do some simple 2D work, but they are pretty cool people so I'll ask my teachers if they can get me one of those.

It's very encouraging to see what other people can do in a short time and I thought UDK would be harder to start with so yeah, I'm motivated enough :D

As much as I'd like to do character design I find it incredibly hard compared to environment creation. In the future, who knows, but I'll focus on environments for now...

If I may ask, how did you end up in Japan...? I don't think I'm wrong when I say that leaving Spain is almost a must if you want to do something on the industry :/

Top Bottom