• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 199 Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 |OT| Stupid Sexy Rockhold

Status
Not open for further replies.
The middleweight division is so old and tired. Bisping is 37. Souza is 36. Weidman turns 32 this month and can't stay healthy. Rockhold is the youngest in the top 5 and he's 1) An idiot 2) 31. Romero, Vitor, Machida, Silva and Hendo are all dinosaurs.

We need a dominant young buck to clean this shit out and start fresh.

ask, and you shall receive

sn_g_punk01jr_576x874.jpg

Wallach

It's certainly over the line and he should get some sort of reprimanded for it but I don't think he should lose his Fox gig over it. People get heated and make mistakes in the moment. I'm sure we've all said something stupid we regret later when in an aggressive confrontation. He should come out and publicly apologize at the very least though.

I'd have no problem with him getting cut from his cushy Fox deal. He just won a UFC championship belt, this isn't someone who is working two jobs to keep the lights on.

Levito

Banned
Rory Macdonald said he's going to move up to middleweight, if he resigns with the UFC I think it's high time the Red King cleans out that division.

The guy is 37. You shouldn't be surprised that faggot is still part of his trash talk repertoire.. Especially in the heat of the moment.

Fag was THE go to insult in the 80s/90s. You can't just turn it off overnight. And.. You know.. These guys punch each other in the head for a living.
I don't know anyone my age who still uses these terms. We all seemed to turn it off pretty easy. Anyone who still says it is an idiot.

dem

I don't know anyone my age who still uses these terms. We all seemed to turn it off pretty easy. Anyone who still says it is an idiot.

When was the last time you were in verbal altercation with someone you just had a first fight with? Every fight in the world starts with someone calling another guy a pussy. Is that not a derogatory term?

Good on you for not acting like a savage in your accounting job.

The fact that Bisping caught himself makes this a non story, imo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When was the last time you were in verbal altercation with someone you just had a first fight with? Every fight in the world starts with someone calling another guy a pussy. Is that not a derogatory term?

Good on you for not acting like a savage in your accounting job.

The fact that Bisping caught himself makes this a non story, imo.
You can't be serious. You're trolling right?

dem

Not at all.

Let's get everyone fired who says the word pussy.

Isn't calling someone a pussy/bitch just saying they are weak like a woman? Is that not sexist?

Is there not a woman's rights issue in this country the same as there is a gay rights issue? Why is one allowed but not the other?

I think there should be some punishment, but I think it absolutely should be taken into account that he immediately knew he'd done something wrong and apologized for it right away. It was clearly said in the heat of the moment, and while an insult like that isn't appropriate for obvious reasons, he clearly wasn't meant in a derogatory way towards gay people.

It was a stupid mistake... but it's not a major story. I mean, it literally isn't. I've seen precisely no one reporting on it on the MMA websites I follow. "Guy makes mistake, immediately apologizes" is far from the biggest story right now.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm going to assume that Bisping's reign on top will be short lived. At least he made it to the top. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm going to assume that Bisping's reign on top will be short lived. At least he made it to the top. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I think he will. I mean, no one can take away the fact that he is the *first* Brit to win UFC gold. That's his forever. He's also at the tail end of his fighting career, and he's basically just shown he is championship material in a post TRT and lackadaisical drug testing UFC.

If TRT had been banned and they'd been doing WADA testing all along... can anyone honestly rule out that he could have been champion before last night? He lost title eliminators to people on TRT. He already beat the guy who was champ at the time who will always have the suspicion of having potentially been on performance enhancing drugs when he was on top.

We'll never know, of course... but to climb to the top once the things you'd been calling for for years happened... I mean it sure makes a great case.

Will he successfully defend? Maybe not. As I've said before, I think Mike can beat anyone in the division, but I also think most of the guys in the top ten can beat Mike.

But his legacy was cemented last night. It looks like his acting career is taking off too. So a couple more fights and he's probably shifting career win or lose.

3N16MA

Banned
I think he will. I mean, no one can take away the fact that he is the *first* Brit to win UFC gold. That's his forever. He's also at the tail end of his fighting career, and he's basically just shown he is championship material in a post TRT and lackadaisical drug testing UFC.

If TRT had been banned and they'd been doing WADA testing all along... can anyone honestly rule out that he could have been champion before last night? He lost title eliminators to people on TRT. He already beat the guy who was champ at the time who will always have the suspicion of having potentially been on performance enhancing drugs when he was on top.

We'll never know, of course... but to climb to the top once the things you'd been calling for for years happened... I mean it sure makes a great case.

Will he successfully defend? Maybe not. As I've said before, I think Mike can beat anyone in the division, but I also think most of the guys in the top ten can beat Mike.

But his legacy was cemented last night. It looks like his acting career is taking off too. So a couple more fights and he's probably shifting career win or lose.

He has had a solid career. Not the most popular guy but I doubt he cares as long as his fans at home cheer him on.

He has had a solid career. Not the most popular guy but I doubt he cares as long as his fans at home cheer him on.

I just find it especially sweet that THE guy who was campaigning to get performance enhancing drugs out of the sport goes on to beat the guy he always wanted to face, to get the title shot that always eluded him, and to beat the last guy who beat him for the belt. Yeah he's a dick. He doesn't deny it. But he was clean. He was a fighter. He never backed away from a challenge, and he always, always believed he could be the first brit to win UFC gold.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
happy for bisping. also, his post fight chat made me feel really old. seemed like yesterday he won the ultimate fighter and had held his then 5 year old son. now the kids all grown up.

did anyone gif the point to rockhold on the cage and bisping "fuck you"?

N° 2048

lol @ people getting upset over what bisping said.

People are so sensitive now. Even the fighters in the video laughed after Bisping said "I probably shouldn't have said that."

N° 2048

yeah lol @ people upset about a pretty disgusting slur being used. Get some thicker skin, people.

Come on he was in the middle of an argument. He even caught himself. Bisping just won the damn belt in 2016 and slipped a naughty word there in a post fight altercation with the man who had beat him once before.

I'd love to see you in those shoes and see if you'd remain composed.

omg come on he was in the middle of an argument. He even caught himself. Bisping just won the damn belt in 2016 and slipped a naughty word there in a post fight altercation.

I'd love to see you in those shoes and see if you'd remain composed.

Everybody who uses those words uses them in "the heat of the moment" or when they are upset. Not sure why that's any different or makes it any more excusable in this scenario. And I'm curious what your reaction would be if he had called Rockhold a "nigger".

Rur0ni

Everybody who uses those words uses them in "the heat of the moment" or when they are upset. Not sure why that's any different or makes it any more excusable in this scenario. And I'm curious what your reaction would be if he had called Rockhold a "nigger".
Yeah, I don't think people should get away with "heat of the moment" exchanges. Should be called out for it. Granted with Bisping there seemed to be some amount of immediate "oops, that was inappropriate", and in hyper-masculine situations like that one of the gut things to do is emphasize someone's lack of the above.

N° 2048

Pu**y and fa**ot are some of the most used words in a sport where people put each other in the hospital sometimes.
These are words I expect in this type of sport.

Why the fuck would anyone go racists out of no where?

Do you go around getting offended by everyone bad word you hear on radio songs?

What kind of question is that?

Pussy and faggot are some of the most used words in a sport where people put each other in the hospital sometimes.

The fact that you don't see the equivalence is part of the problem, and part of the reason why instances like this need to be called out and made examples of. Going "racists out of no where" is somehow much worse than going homophobe out of no where, which is okay because, you know, combat sports!

Nobody is saying Bisping should be fucking thrown in jail, but he should catch heat for this. He's a guy that's been on television for 10+ years. He's got a gig as a TV personality. He should know better. And he should be held to the same standards as anyone else who appears on TV, and not given a pass because "He punches people for a living durrr!" And judging by your stupid post, there are some people that think using homophobic slurs like that are somehow less bad than using racial slurs, so obviously some mass education is still sorely lacking.

Pu**y and fa**ot are some of the most used words in a sport where people put each other in the hospital sometimes.

Why the fuck would anyone go homophobic out of nowhere?

dem

The fact that you don't see the equivalence is part of the problem, and part of the reason why instances like this need to be called out and made examples of. Going "racists out of no where" is somehow much worse than going homophobe out of no where, which is okay because, you know, combat sports!

Nobody is saying Bisping should be fucking thrown in jail, but he should catch heat for this. He's a guy that's been on television for 10+ years. He's got a gig as a TV personality. He should know better. And he should be held to the same standards as anyone else who appears on TV, and not given a pass because "He punches people for a living durrr!" And judging by your stupid post, there are some people that think using homophobic slurs like that are somehow less bad than using racial slurs, so obviously some mass education is still sorely lacking.

I expect to see you calling out everyone who says bitch or pussy in the future. Thanks

Fox318

dwill.png
Hendo is 3-6 over the last 3 years. He's more like 5 wins away from deserving it. I know the UFC is a bullshit sports organization but come on.

the defending 145 champ is fighting the gatekeeper to 155 at 170.

Having a legend who beat the current champ coming off a big win isn't carniest thing they can do.

Lets look at 185 right now

Champion : Michael Bisping
  1. Luke Rockhold
  2. Chris Weidman
  3. Jacare Souza
  4. Vitor Belfort
  5. Anderson Silva
  6. Robert Whittaker
  7. Lyoto Machida
  8. Gegard Mousasi
  9. Tim Kennedy
  10. Uriah Hall
  11. Derek Brunson
  12. Thales Leites
  13. Rafael Natal
  14. Thiago Santos
  15. Dan Henderson

If I'm setting up cards you have Weidman vs Rockhold fight for a shot at the belt soon and don't forget about Souza and Yoel off suspension.

Machida, Hall , Silva are coming off losses.

I mean the men who should probably get the shit is Souza or Kennedy right now.

Maybe have the fight in England.

You're making the classic mistake of thinking people are "offended" or can't handle the word when really we're just commenting on how stupid the person is behaving.

Continue to explain to us why MMA should be full of adult children.

I expect to see you calling out everyone who says bitch or pussy in the future. Thanks

That's a fair point. And considering what people are saying when they call someone either of those words, or where those words really came from, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they were phased out of the public lexicon.

Levito

Banned
Honestly with women regularly fighting on UFC cards now, I've thought it was especially dismissive of a lot of the male fighters still calling eachother 'pussies' and other gendered slurs. Especially considering they also *train* with women in their gyms.

dream

I dunno, Levito, I think the Ultimate provides equal opportunity to use gendered insults. I recently saw Claudja tell Joanna that she was going to fuck her by fisting her vagina, to which Joanna responded, "I am engaged, I'm not a...different one."

I don't really believe Bisping is truly repentant about using the faggot slur, but my only expectation is that he apologizes and doesn't make a habit out of it, so I'm not going to lord this over him as evidence that he's a terrible human. At least he stopped spitting on people.

ldcommando

Banned
how jon jones and dc going to trash talk each other if we take the word pussy away? Let´s wait for 200 then we talk about getting rid of it.

Levito

Banned
I dunno, Levito, I think the Ultimate provides equal opportunity to use gendered insults. I recently saw Claudja tell Joanna that she was going to fuck her by fisting her vagina, to which Joanna responded, "I am engaged, I'm not a...different one."

Well first off, you can be a woman and still be misogynistic. Joanna also said she was going to send Claudja 'back to the jungle' and I shouldn't have to explain why that's fucked.

That's up to their own volition if they or anyone else whats to use that language, but it still seems weird to me.

how jon jones and dc going to trash talk each other if we take the word pussy away? Let´s wait for 200 then we talk about getting rid of it.

I wasn't suggesting to 'take it away', I just think it's kind of a shitty comment to say given there's women that are in this sport too. It wont get taken away, just me 2c.

That's a fair point. And considering what people are saying when they call someone either of those words, or where those words really came from, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they were phased out of the public lexicon.

Where were you when your boy McGregor said dos Anjos had a sore vagina???

Probably laughing.

He even said that in response to a FEMALE asking him a question.

Where was the outrage then??????

dream

When it comes down to it, this is human cockfighting, and I think we sometimes forget that just because the Ultimate is covered by ESPN.

dem

Please explain why instead of unarticulate reactions.

He has nothing to add. He doesn't understand why an über masculine sport where people punch each other in the face/break limbs isn't filled with a bunch of guys who speak like Anderson Cooper. His head is in the sand.

Probably laughing.

What outrage is there? I'm not calling for anything to happen to Bisping. Is it outrage to point out that what he said was stupid? I find that more than anything, in situations like these, there is this weird pre-emptive defense to the anticipated backlash, with people saying "Bisping better not catch shit for this!" or "OH HERE COMES THE PC CULTURE JUST WAIT". When he says something like what he said, and the reaction by some people is to just want to brush it away, or try and reason why it's not as bad as a racial slur, that just tells me we need to do better, and having a dialogue is the way to do that.

Levito

Banned

Probably laughing.

No one is outraged, we're having a discussion. You're doing the "you're mad about this but *not* mad about this" thing like we should never have social-political debates ever or something.

Conor says shitty stuff ALL the time. Like when he called Nate a 'Cholo' or Dennis Siver a Nazi. Part of the reason I enjoyed seeing that dumbass get starched by Nate was cause he says bullshit like that. How the UFC handles how fighters conduct themselves is a difficult slope, I don't know how they go about doing the 'this is ok but this isn't' thing, but know when Bisping, one of their champions, uses a homophobic slur, he's representing the company. Liz Carmouche is a lesbian and a UFC fighter, kinda throws her under the bus, eh? I'm not calling for anything to happen to him either really, but it WAS a shitty thing to say.

Conversely, do you think fighters should just be able to throw around whatever slurs they want with no repercussions? Should folks be droppin n-words in press conferences?

dem

No one is outraged, we're having a discussion. You're doing the "you're mad about this but *not* mad about this" thing like we should never have social-political debates ever or something.

Conor says shitty stuff ALL the time. Like when he called Nate a 'Cholo' or Dennis Siver a Nazi. Part of the reason I enjoyed seeing that dumbass get starched by Nate was cause he says bullshit like that.

How the UFC handles how fighters conduct themselves is a difficult slope, but know when Bisping, one of their champions, uses a homophobic slur, he's representing the company. In a way saying 'yeah, LGBT people aren't welcome here'. Liz Carmouche is a lesbian and a UFC fighter, kinda throws her under the bus, eh?

Conversely, do you think fighters should just be able to throw around whatever slurs they want with no repercussions? Should folks be droppin n-words in press conferences?

Or like you making fun of Dan Hendersons age? AGEIST

What outrage is there? I'm not calling for anything to happen to Bisping. Is it outrage to point out that what he said was stupid? I find that more than anything, in situations like these, there is this weird pre-emptive defense to the anticipated backlash, with people saying "Bisping better not catch shit for this!" or "OH HERE COMES THE PC CULTURE JUST WAIT". When he says something like what he said, and the reaction by some people is to just want to brush it away, or try and reason why it's not as bad as a racial slur, that just tells me we need to do better, and having a dialogue is the way to do that.

Did anyone point out what Conor said was uncalled for or stupid???

Did anyone point out what Conor said was uncalled for or stupid???

I don't know. You should check. Is your premise that people are only allowed to speak up if they have spoken up EVERY SINGLE TIME in the past? Like, this gotcha stuff isn't really necessary, or what this is about. Nobody is saying we are perfect and Bisping is a worthless homophobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom