• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK boxed sales: Zelda TOTK (sales up 18%) is back at No.1, replacing Final Fantasy (down 78%)

LakeOf9

It's two months old, it still topping charts with sales going up is insane to me

We don't yet have the AEW split (I will post when we do) but for Story of Seasons:

Of course, remember, this is UK-only, physical-only, so not totally representative (digital rates for Xbox, PS, and Nintendo are 75%, 75%, and 55% respectively)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's two months old, it still topping charts with sales going up is insane to me

We don't yet have the AEW split (I will post when we do) but for Story of Seasons:

Of course, remember, this is UK-only, physical-only, so not totally representative (digital rates for Xbox, PS, and Nintendo are 75%, 75%, and 55% respectively)

Is the bolded world-wide or in the UK for each?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I "finished" (in quotes cause I'll be back) TotK this weekend, and it's such a great payoff.
WoM for it is amazing, it's really an experience.

Congrats Nintendo for owning this year again with Zelad+Mario.

EDIT: Could the Direct have anything to do with TotK rise? Maybe some people thought their Switch is done, and after the Direct they're like, nope, I still want that Detective Pikachu game. So I guess I'll get that Zelda now too.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I "finished" (in quotes cause I'll be back) TotK this weekend, and it's such a great payoff.
WoM for it is amazing, it's really an experience.

Congrats Nintendo for owning this year again with Zelad+Mario.

EDIT: Could the Direct have anything to do with TotK rise? Maybe some people thought their Switch is done, and after the Direct they're like, nope, I still want that Detective Pikachu game. So I guess I'll get that Zelda now too.
I dont think so, the Direct totally lacked any TOTK didnt it? just some amiibo that arent even out for months

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I dont think so, the Direct totally lacked any TOTK didnt it? just some amiibo that arent even out for months
It's not about TotK, it could be that people thought their Switch is done for. Nothing in the horizon for them to keep playing it, and after the Direct they saw there's still life in the machine, might as well pick up Zelda. I dunno, otherwise an almost 20% climb is strange.

LakeOf9

It's not about TotK, it could be that people thought their Switch is done for. Nothing in the horizon for them to keep playing it, and after the Direct they saw there's still life in the machine, might as well pick up Zelda. I dunno, otherwise an almost 20% climb is strange.
I dont think most people (especially Nintendo buyers) know or care about things like product life cycles. I think TOTK is just doing well cause of word of mouth.

I could be wrong of course!

EDIT: also possible with digital sales accounted for it is declining (probably not by much, but still a relatively more normal trajectory)

Last edited:

Interfectum

The Legend Of Zelda Link GIF by GIPHY Gaming

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It didn't even perform well last week did it?

So, it's totally flopped in the UK.

More people should give it a go, but it shouldn't have been called final fantasy xvi imo.

Just call it final fantasy may cry or something and i think it would have performed the same sales wise and sat better with the fans. Maybe even done better.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It didn't even perform well last week did it?

So, it's totally flopped in the UK.

More people should give it a go, but it shouldn't have been called final fantasy xvi imo.

Just call it final fantasy may cry or something and i think it would have performed the same sales wise and sat better with the fans. Maybe even done better.
Nah, Final Fantasy May Cry would’ve sold less than Final Fantasy XVI, zero doubt. The issue here might be a tiny bit about the combat changes but I think it’s simply about so many playing TOTK.

Anecdotal, I don’t know anyone among my group of gaming friends that play FF16 right now. I know many that play TOTK though, that and some Diablo 4 and the usual CS.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, Final Fantasy May Cry would’ve sold less than Final Fantasy XVI, zero doubt. The issue here might be a tiny bit about the combat changes but I think it’s simply about so many playing TOTK.

Anecdotal, I don’t know anyone among my group of gaming friends that play FF16 right now. I know many that play TOTK though, that and some Diablo 4 and the usual CS.

I suppose it could be timing. But it seems like the demo caused some hype. I dunno. I just feel like they should have named it something different.

I'm enjoying the game alot so far. Hope it does better. We will see what they do with 17. It might be an RTS. Lol

yazenov

Yes, front-loaded sales*. Zelda has legs for weeks.

* Physical only, digital could be a lot higher, but we don't know yet.

Last week, over 56% of Final Fantasy 16's launch sales came via PlayStation Network (GSD Data).

Fredrik

I suppose it could be timing. But it seems like the demo caused some hype. I dunno. I just feel like they should have named it something different.

I'm enjoying the game alot so far. Hope it does better. We will see what they do with 17. It might be an RTS. Lol
Timing was bad no doubt. PS5 is a small platform compared to Switch, PS fans were hyped about the FF demo but it came in June and millions were already playing the insanely popular new Zelda by then.

Roufianos

What are some box stores I can go to?
I don't think there are any dedicated ones anymore. Game still exists but is usually only found within Sports Direct stores, and is super expensive. Super markets are your best bet.

Ordering online is fine, I usually get mine on release day or sometimes a day early.

Last edited:

Woopah

I’d image the FF series sales have always been front loaded.
JRPGs in general tend to be front loaded, and the UK isn't the best market for them.
Radcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire.
I'd say Nottinghamshire is a great place to be in general ;)
Timing was bad no doubt. PS5 is a small platform compared to Switch, PS fans were hyped about the FF demo but it came in June and millions were already playing the insanely popular new Zelda by then.
I don't see the impact of TOTK on FFXVI being too high. They are on completely seperate platforms and released over a month apart.

Fredrik

I don't see the impact of TOTK on FFXVI being too high. They are on completely seperate platforms and released over a month apart.
Switch is a secondary platform for many PS players, when a game comes out and getting tons of hype and 96 metascore then it absolutely affects all other game sales.
And a month is nothing. I started on the release day and isn’t even close to being finished.

Interfectum

Switch is a secondary platform for many PS players, when a game comes out and getting tons of hype and 96 metascore then it absolutely affects all other game sales.
And a month is nothing. I started on the release day and isn’t even close to being finished.
I think the combo of Zelda and Diablo 4 sucked a lot of money and time out of a lot of gaming circles. It was a bad time to release FF16 into.

Top Bottom