• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK boxed sales: Zelda TOTK (sales up 18%) is back at No.1, replacing Final Fantasy (down 78%)

Robb

Gold Member
Can't we just enjoy both games?
bjWcVap.jpg

LakeOf9

How ff16 launch compare with ragnarok? With digital included
I'll let someone else answer with the UK specific numbers, globally Ragnarok sold 5 million in three days, FF16 sold 3 million in 3 days

Ragnarok also had a PS4 version though which FF16 does not

Some comparisons:

• Tears of the Kingdom: 10 million (3 days)
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: 10 million (3 days)
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus: 6.5 million (3 days)
  • God of War Ragnarok: 5 million (3 days)
  • TLOU2: 4 million (3 days)
  • FF7R: 3.5 million (3 days)
  • FF16: 3 million (3 days)

FF16 has done very well for itself all things considered. Sony exclusives dont seem to have the insane numbers Nintendo ones do, but Sony exclusives also face more competition from third party games than Nintendo ones do.

Hudo

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: 10 million (3 days)
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus: 6.5 million (3 days)
This is the fucking reason why Game Freak keeps making the lowest effort Pokemon games possible. I actually think they spend most of their effort into researching what amount of minimal effort they can get away with. It's fucking crazy that the biggest entertainment franchise is putting out games like this.

LakeOf9

This is the fucking reason why Game Freak keeps making the lowest effort Pokemon games possible. I actually think they spend most of their effort into researching what amount of minimal effort they can get away with. It's fucking crazy that the biggest entertainment franchise is putting out games like this.
I am playing Legends right now, this one is actually really good (I am surprised, this is my first Pokemon game, and I always thought they were pretty bad, especially the Switch ones)
Scarlet and Violet look awful though I agree

Fredrik

I'll let someone else answer with the UK specific numbers, globally Ragnarok sold 5 million in three days, FF16 sold 3 million in 3 days

Ragnarok also had a PS4 version though which FF16 does not
Yeah for a PS5 exclusive it’s selling really well tbh. 38 million users on FF versus idk maybe 130 million (?) on GOWR
In percentage that is:
7.8% of the PS5 userbase
vs
3.8% of the PS4+PS5 userbase

Woopah

Switch is a secondary platform for many PS players, when a game comes out and getting tons of hype and 96 metascore then it absolutely affects all other game sales.
And a month is nothing. I started on the release day and isn’t even close to being finished.
Fair point!

Physical is just shorthand for "bought in a shop". The Japan chart does the same thing.

I guess, that would make more sense.

Hasn’t FF16 sold roughly the same as RE4 which has been out for longer? FF16 is selling fine

And yes, this. RE4R had four platforms to sell on, whereas FF XVI only has one, but it's still pacing with the former which is great.

I think FF XVI will have pretty good legs in the longer term, like what we've seen with some of Sony's games like Miles Morales, GOWR and GT7, as PS5 sales continue to grow.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It didn't even perform well last week did it?

So, it's totally flopped in the UK.

More people should give it a go, but it shouldn't have been called final fantasy xvi imo.

Just call it final fantasy may cry or something and i think it would have performed the same sales wise and sat better with the fans. Maybe even done better.

Not flopped, but worth noting that even with digital + physical combined, FFXV's physical only sales were 1/3rd higher. FFXV Physical + Digital probably brings it closer to 50% or more.

UK was really hyped for XV.

F0M80K-X0AAZBS1

Last edited:
Hopefully UK sales are a good indication of world wide trends, Zelda will probably have decent legs in many countries. We will get worldwide official numbers on August 3rd when Nintendo has it's earnings report. here are Switch's 5 million plus opening quarters for software. I think Zelda TotK will be in the 18 to 20 million range.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: 20.61 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield: 16.06 million
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 13.97 million
Pokemon Legends Arceus: 12.64 million
Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 12.08 million
Animal Crossing New Horizons: 11.77 million
Pokemon Let's Go Pickachu/Evee: 10.00 million
Super Mario Odyssey: 9.07 million
Splatoon 3: 7.90 million
SM3DW + Bowser's Fury: 5.59 million
Mario Party Superstars: 5.43 million
Luigi's Mansion 3: 5.37 million
Super Mario Party: 5.30 million
SM3D All-Stars: 5.21 million

Last edited:

MrA

Hasn’t FF16 sold roughly the same as RE4 which has been out for longer? FF16 is selling fine
that was until the end of March, so the time difference is a week vs a month,ff16 could have better legs, could have worse, UK is probably going to be a poor benchmark either way as it launched weaker compared to other regions in the UK (if ff16s UK performance was inline with RE4 to worldwide it would only have launched to 2.25 million )

Hardensoul

I think the combo of Zelda and Diablo 4 sucked a lot of money and time out of a lot of gaming circles. It was a bad time to release FF16 into.
This is me, I downloaded D4 special Edition and got my Rogue to first main Town hub but I kept wanting to play Zelda and I'm still playing Zelda over 300hrs now.

Lethal01

I suppose it could be timing. But it seems like the demo caused some hype. I dunno. I just feel like they should have named it something different.

I'm enjoying the game alot so far. Hope it does better. We will see what they do with 17. It might be an RTS. Lol

How would not being called Final Fantasy make it sell better instead of worse?

Top Bottom