• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasliquid

Can someone explain to a non-brit what it currently looks like and what this means?

Expected Tory majority now looks to be Tory minority because they won't have more than 50% of the MPs. They called it early thinking it would be a cake walk.

Slim but growing chance of Prime Minister Jezza if he can get backing from the smaller parties

slider

North East England going more Tory than expected. Doesn't seem to be replicated across the country though.

I keep asking (mentioning!) the high leave vote there. Might skew data in all sorts of ways that I can't fathom. But let's see...

Empty

Can someone explain to a non-brit what it currently looks like and what this means?

it looks like a hung parliament or very slim tory majority

no-one knows what it means as it's genuinely on a knife-edge. small changes in the seat numbers for tories vs labour+snp could be massively important

Still very early, but signs are showing a hung parliament, in which no political party actually holds the majority of the seats, and therefore cannot govern without aide from political opposition. Basically, nothing can get done - and given how, before May declared a GE, the tories had enough seats to get ANYTHING THEY WANT done, it's already looking better than any of us could hope for.

broz0rs

I follow mostly US politics on Twitter, but prior to the election the pundits who've commented about Corbyn mostly labeled him as a joke? Now he's the hero that needs to be in power because of this unexpected showing. Is that a fair assessment?

I'm also a non-Brit, but as a Canadian come from a country with a parliamentary system. I imagine Theresa May will step down as Prime Minister over this.

Her credibility would be shot.

In the old OT someone said there were reports of EU leaders laughing at the exit polls + her.

I follow mostly US politics on Twitter, but prior to the election the pundits who've commented about Corbyn mostly labeled him as a joke? Now he's the hero that needs to be in power because of this unexpected showing. Is that a fair assessment?
Very basically: vilified by left and right wing press so everyone had strong opinions with no exposure to him. May (Con leader) saw this as opportunity to steal seats from labour. People had to listen to Corbyn because it's an election, realised he wasn't a cunt. May and conservatives acted like cunts. Shot selves in foot.

Jibbed

It's way more complex than that. The first half of your assumption isn't far from the truth, but this election has been as much (if not more) about May's incompetency vs. Corbyn's.

Plum

He lives 364 days a year presenting Eggheads and wanting to die so he can do 1 day a year dancing around a map.

I don't know what "quiz show you can't win because you're going up against people paid to win quiz shows," is worse: The Chase or Eggheads. Probably the latter becaus Vine does look like he wants to die.

Pointless is best.

Yes and no. Yes in a sense that I'll hold my hands up and say I've been a critic of his since the second leadership battle, so if even members of his own party decry him, less informed US pundits, who I'd imagine would only have been given smaller notes on his record, they would see him as some make-shift 'Bernie'. No in that he's proven them, myself, and everyone else wholly wrong.

Edit: On another note, I need a drink!

Mael

In retrospect, May's dinner with the EU is even more hilarious.
She basically pulled the most idiotic move you can in politic, reminds me of France 97.
We had the best 5 years after that with plenty of progress socially and economically, here's to hoping you get that too at least.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It's less that he 'needs to be in power' (although he'd be better than the Tories), more that there's going to need to be a lot of crow getting eaten if he's proven to not be the total electoral anthrax that the media and even members of his own fucking party have been telling people he was for the last 18 months.

offshore

Duncan Smith might be in a bit of bother. Turnout in Chingford 71.4% too close to call.
giphy7wy9b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom