• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Parliament Vote to trigger Article 50 (498 - 144)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

Thanks for the reply, it's a parent that was born in Ireland so hopefully it will work out. Still a potential longshot but it's nice to have a glimmer of hope when I'm feeling this hopeless about the future.
If you have an Irish parent it's very easy to get an Irish passport and remain an EU national.

Conan-san

Yep, even that tadger Murray of Labour voted against Article 50. Now we have this..!

[Tory grandstanding]

Somehow I think this will backfire for them. It better!

You know that raises the question. What happens when we do go indy2 and the Tories refuse to ok it?

Besides them looking like cocks, obviously.

Also that's hilarious given how Tory chose to respect an advisery only poll by starting all this, possibly setting America up for Trump and by basically annullng the whole "God (EU) only through I" bullshit.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Good now the EU can get on with the serious business of defining how bendy is too bendy for their bananas!

/s

The above would be too bendy for the EU, the UK we welcome it!.

OK now /s

As a 'Norn Irish' I think its time to get RoI passports, just in case...

Flintty

Stupid question, but me sitting in Austria, I never understood what EXACTLY UK wants to achieve with Brexit.

Can anyone explain to me?

People voted leave for a variety of reasons...

The people that voted? Majority did it for: less brown people, less Muslims, less Polish. You see, they steal all the jobs, and they are also at the same time stealing all the welfare by being unemployed.

But this doesn't speak for us all.

TeddyBoy

Never thought I'd get to witness the decline of two superpowers in my lifetime

The UK stopped being a superpower once world war 2 ended, ever since then we've fallen down.

Unless your referrring to the EU, in which case it will still be quite strong but without federalisation and the hard power it brings I wouldn't call it a superpower.

theaface

People voted leave for a variety of reasons...

world-cloud.jpg

Come on now. Let's not pretend this what about anything other than what it was. Did other factors exist? Sure. But they were a drop in the ocean compared to people's misninformed perceptions of immigration.

Mivey

If you have an Irish parent it's very easy to get an Irish passport and remain an EU national.
Does that technically make you an Irish citizen? Would be just funny if a decision motivated by fear and English nationalism lead to an increase of UK citizens getting a second citizenship.

Micael

While I feel for the people that wanted to stay in the EU, it is more than time for the UK to trigger article 50, EU has far far more important issues to deal with, and with some luck with every negotiation "leak" that happens a bit more sense will form in those countries toying with the idea of right wing extremism.

Hmmm...now the break up of the UK begins?
Considering that the SNP are waiting for the polls to indicate majority support for Scottish independence (they're nowhere near), suggesting that Northern Ireland should reunite with the Republic is a great way to restart The Troubles, and nobody is suggesting that Wales is going anywhere.

So, uh, no, the breakup is looking pretty unlikely right now.

Rush_Khan

Most of these MPs probably can't even give a good reason to leave (if there is one...). Would rather further their political gain.

operon

Thanks for the reply, it's a parent that was born in Ireland so hopefully it will work out. Still a potential longshot but it's nice to have a glimmer of hope when I'm feeling this hopeless about the future.
If you have a parent born in Ireland before 2005 then they are Irish and any of their children would be entitled to Irish citizenship

Considering that the SNP are waiting for the polls to indicate majority support for Scottish independence (they're nowhere near), suggesting that Northern Ireland should reunite with the Republic is a great way to restart The Troubles, and nobody is suggesting that Wales is going anywhere.

So, uh, no, the breakup is looking pretty unlikely right now.

The Northern Ireland issue is extremely complex. Hard border with the Republic cannot exist. The only practical option is a border at the Northern Irish Airports and Ports, but then that would be an internal UK border, would Unionists be happy with that? I don't think so.

Fact of the matter is that the Republic cannot afford to take on Northern Ireland, so you are either looking at a hard border crippling economies or an internal border within the UK. Shit Sandwich A VS Shit Sandwich B.

ittoryu

But this doesn't speak for us all.

I am glad you were not among those that, the day after the referendum, rush to tell me to get the fuck out of the UK, that it was time for me to pack up and leave, to go "where people will like you, not here anymore", etc.

Am I thinking this will crash the UK?
Maybe, maybe not.
Will I feel regret if this will happen?
Possibly, because I've always thought of London as my second home (10 years here).

I bought a flat here, I have the utmost interest in seeing things working out for the best; however, after the shitshow of the leavers, all the racism, the horrible horrible things I have been told, the sterotype of "EU come here to claim benefit", I am not even sure I want to see things working out, even if it will go against my own interest.
I want to see this mindset disappear forever, back into the sewers of where it came from.

The Northern Ireland issue is extremely complex. Hard border with the Republic cannot exist. The only practical option is a border at the Northern Irish Airports and Ports, but then that would be an internal UK border, would Unionists be happy with that? I don't think so.

Fact of the matter is that the Republic cannot afford to take on Northern Ireland, so you are either looking at a hard border crippling economies or an internal border within the UK. Shit Sandwich A VS Shit Sandwich B.

That's not really such a problem. Land borders are hard, but just saying you have to show your passport at the airport or when you get on the ferry is pretty easy to implement.

I know that technically you don't need to show it now when travelling between NI and Great Britain (like, you can show a driver's licence or something?), but I've been to NI a few times and always took my passport with me anyway.

Edit:

It looks like Ryanair already require passports to travel on their planes.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
At this point I just want them out of EU, to be honest. I feel bad for the people affeted negatively. But the thought of getting rid of Theresa May and Nigel Farage (and with him Trump) in the EU debate is a positive for all concerned.

With most of the current world revolving around the legacy the US and UK have done over the last 100 years, I feel that it's kind of refreshing to see both of them disappear into obscurity on the international scene.

EGM1966

Does that technically make you an Irish citizen? Would be just funny if a decision motivated by fear and English nationalism lead to an increase of UK citizens getting a second citizenship.
Yup. My wife is Irish and can hold passport. She currently has UK passport but is thinking of switching now. I'm UK but as her husband I can apply for citizenship. So yes a spike is possible. No idea if it will happen or not.

Syder

If you hold a nation's passport you are a citizen of that nation, yes. I hold a British and Irish passport.

Honestly, how this doesn't lead to the end of the UK is beyond me. If Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland were smart they would push for independence and throw in with the EU. Force England to realize how silly they have been.

TrueBlue

Honestly, how this doesn't lead to the end of the UK is beyond me. If Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland were smart they would push for independence and throw in with the EU. Force England to realize how silly they have been.

Wales voted Leave too, I think?

Lagamorph

Then leave it as a 2 country UK. Wales can go down with the ship if they like, but there's no way leaving the EU benefits working and middle class people in either country.

It doesn't benefit the rich class either, which is why the richer you were the more likely you were to vote remain when you look at the result breakdowns.
The richer/younger/more educated you were, the more likely you voted remain statistically.

-Silver-

I don't get it, why the hell are we so adamant about leaving? A year ago it didn't make sense but sure, whatever. The USA was still in a good position, a stable position. The current climate where USA is screwing itself over for a laugh should be a good reason to be wary of them, not double with leaving the EU and making "great" trade with those guys. They seemed to more than happy to screw themselves over for the short term gain, why would they not do the same to us?

Maximus P

world-cloud.jpg

Come on now. Let's not pretend this what about anything other than what it was. Did other factors exist? Sure. But they were a drop in the ocean compared to people's misninformed perceptions of immigration.

That picture actually proves their point.

Immigration is massive on that pic, but they're are also a thousand other reasons why people voted, and that picture shows them taking a much bigger portion rather than the word immigration.

Immigration was a massive factor for majority. But the population were lied to, by both the leave campaign and the media. I would, without a doubt expect that another vote now would show totally different results . I for one won't be labeling all leave voters as racists and xenophobic.

PJV3

I don't get it, why the hell are we so adamant about leaving? A year ago it didn't make sense but sure, whatever. The USA was still in a good position, a stable position. The current climate where USA is screwing itself over for a laugh should be a good reason to be wary of them, not double with leaving the EU and making "great" trade with those guys. They seemed to more than happy to screw themselves over for the short term gain, why would they not do the same to us?

If there is a global trade war when we are about to leave then we have to hope that 50 is found to be reversible or we can stretch negotiations out longer.

theaface

Immigration is massive on that pic, but they're are also a thousand other reasons why people voted, and that picture shows them taking a much bigger portion rather than the word immigration.

Immigration was a massive factor for majority. But the population were lied to, by both the leave campaign and the media. I would, without a doubt expect that another vote now would show totally different results . I for one won't be labeling all leave voters as racists and xenophobic.

It doesn't work that way. The graphic demonstrates that immigration was, by far and away, the biggest reason for people who voted leave. That there are hundreds of tiny 'other' answers is besides the point. This isn't about labelling all leave voters as racist or some such, it's simply asserting that this was ultimately a referendum about people's views on immigration, which it absolutely was.

That word chart is just a list of words not each individual reason. The word "back" is there separately from "control". There weren't hundreds of reasons to vote Leave.

SomTervo

Scottish indy ref, Scottish indy ref, Scottish indy ref, Scottish indy ref

But evidently for most people, 'immigration' was the issue that spurred them to vote leave. And most people voted to leave the EU.

How does it prove their point?

Rodelero

That word chart is just a list of words not each individual reason. The word "back" is there separately from "control". There weren't hundreds of reasons to vote Leave.

No-one is saying that immigration was the only reason people voted to leave the EU, but it was the most significant reason, and if people weren't concerned about it, it would have been a very comfortable Remain victory. One of the many history rewrites undertaken by Leavers, politicians, and much of the media, is to imply that immigration wasn't as important as 'taking back control'.

The irony, of course, when most people have no idea what control they want to take back, is that much of the sovereignty argument boils down to xenophobia too.

No-one is saying that immigration was the only reason people voted to leave the EU, but it was the most significant reason, and if people weren't concerned about it, it would have been a very comfortable Remain victory. One of the many history rewrites undertaken by Leavers, politicians, and much of the media, is to imply that immigration wasn't as important as 'taking back control'.

The irony, of course, when most people have no idea what control they want to take back, is that much of the sovereignty argument boils down to xenophobia too.

Yes. I agree 100%. I was disputing Maximus's point.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The title is misleading. Any bill must pass three readings before it becomes a piece of legislation and takes effect. MPs merely voted in favour of the first reading, which is a largely formal stage - there's no debate or opportunity for amendment, the vote is to determine whether the bill in question is even worth being debated or amended in the first place or whether it should just be thrown out entirely. It is completely obvious that most MPs - even those representing Remain constituencies - would vote for at least this stage of the bill. Regardless of your opinion on Brexit, you cannot possibly pretend that, at this stage, the notion of Leaving is not something that should be treated to full parliamentary process. The second and third readings (and the battle in the Lords) will likely drag on for some time, and there will be many opportunities to vote against or amend the bill at a point it actually matters.

Having said that, nobody understands how parliamentary procedure works and newspapers report it terribly, and I suspect a large number of MPs who voted against this reading know that, and are doing so in a PR move to avoid "voted for Brexit" being on their CV, rather than because they have any actual ambitions to stop the bill by trying to forge alliances with soft Leavers or the like.

MrChom

The second and third readings (and the battle in the Lords) will likely drag on for some time, and there will be many opportunities to vote against or amend the bill at a point it actually matters.

The Lords is going to be an absolute bloodbath by the time we're done here.

It won't matter in the end, May will force it through, but I really hope the argument in the Lords and further HoC readings knock lumps out of her party.

I may be wrong, but Ireland being outside of Schengen means we could negotiate Visa-free travel between the two countries, no?

I may be wrong, but Ireland being outside of Schengen means we could negotiate Visa-free travel between the two countries, no?

As "Taking Back Control" (of their borders) was such a big part of the Leave Campaign they have to implement some kind of border control, either at Northern Ireland ports/airports into the UK or at the Republic/North border to control/stop EU immigration into the UK.

Otherwise what's to stop an EU National arriving into Dublin (won't be stopped there), getting a train to Belfast and then skipping over to the UK mainland. It'd be a huge gaping hole in the UK border.

nubbe

Shame for the UK people
The upside is that the EU might federalise now and make a more homogeneous and peaceful Europe

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

No. If there are no checks between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, and no checks between Northern Ireland and Great Britain, then as an EU national I could travel to the Republic, cross into the North, and travel to the UK. To stop this, there would need to be checks either between the Republic and the North, or the North and Great Britain. You can't really get around that. Either would be damaging, but I suspect the checks will be implemented between the North and Great Britain simply because you usually have to bring some form of ID to get on internal plane flights and there's massive queue for ferries anyway and adding a passport check is only a marginal degree of extra inconvenience; whereas checks between the Republic and the North is inviting the Troubles to reignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom