• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PlayStation Plus price increasing to £49.99 / year from 31st August 2017

Isn't Xbox Live £39.99.

Yes at the moment it is but it wouldn't surprise me if Live follows with a price increase at some point in the future too, as Microsoft increased the price of Xbox Live in other countries last year, just like PS+ went up in some countries.

dan2026

I don't think I will resub. I rarely play multiplayer on PS4 and the ps plus offerings have been mediocre for ages.

It's not worth it anymore.

geordiemp

PSN+ is OK, but price increase is bad.

PSNow can go burn in a hole, to hell with lag gaming, it can go away and die.

Soodanim

Everytime i think about buying a ps4, i then remember online is not free.
And now this is worse than ever.

Same here. I'd only even use it for one game, so it definitely wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm not sure if I'd feel like I was getting a lessened experience by not having Plus or not, outside of the included games and online play is there anything else locked away behind that paywall?

Neith

Banned
Everytime i think about buying a ps4, i then remember online is not free.
And now this is worse than ever.

Yeah IDK man it hasn't been free for years and most people don't care. Smart folks got loads of cards for 35-40 bucks when they were freely available in the past. I am in until 2023 at that price. Paying for this sucks but it is what it is. It keeps Sony profitable, and Sony needs to be successful to make games, which it does. I don't want Sony becoming a Microsoft in gaming and taking no risks and basically not making any games past a couple of them.

I don't think I will resub. I rarely play multiplayer on PS4 and the ps plus offerings have been mediocre for ages.

It's not worth it anymore.

It seems like you want the latest and greatest AAA game for PS Plus. It won't happen. But plenty of great games are on PS Plus all the time lol. The hyperbole is ridiculous.

I blame emoji movie for this.

LOL.

In reality there is a bit of truth in this. They were 35-40 or they just shrug and pay.

Lol no way can Sony justify PSN being more expensive than Xbox Live, it's like a third of the service. This is nothing more than abuse of market position.

Sony will try to stay successful no matter what. In this climate this is their money cow, and they will treat it as such. These passes were widely available for 35-40 bucks a while back. US has been 60 for some time now.

Also lol PS Plus is better than Live if you ask me 1/3 of the service is a laughable joke. They are pretty much equal.

Same here, I thought I was being a bit silly buying 15 months when I already had half a year left of my current sub. Now I wish I'd bought 2 :(

Not silly at all. I bought 7 years for 35-40 bucks before the 60 price in the US. I can't be bothered with watching for deals, and I want to be online. It's that simple and it is what it is.

BigEmil

Emailed them I'm unhappy got this eh
0KrQaSJ.png

PaulLFC

Emailed them I'm unhappy got this eh
Mostly the same statement they sent to Eurogamer - they're probably copying and pasting that to a lot of disgruntled customers since the announcement.

It's the "providing exceptional value" part that makes me laugh - "we're upping the price by 25% but don't worry, it's still exceptional value!" Here's a hint, Sony - it isn't you that gets to decide the level of value your service provides. It's your customers.

FinalAres

If PSNow is included, that'll be great.

I don't really like PSNow as an implementation of backwards compatability, but you know what? If it was included in PS+ I'd use it, and I'd use it a lot. Let's see!

Peroroncino

If PSNow is included, that'll be great.

I don't really like PSNow as an implementation of backwards compatability, but you know what? If it was included in PS+ I'd use it, and I'd use it a lot. Let's see!

Not really since it doesn't work in most EU countries that were also hit with the price spike.

Give you an incredible library of games then hold you hostage to it. Certainly hope their retention numbers are good because just like with Netflix's price rises. It makes resubscribing a harder pill to swallow.
Mostly the same statement they sent to Eurogamer - they're probably copying and pasting that to a lot of disgruntled customers since the announcement.

It's the "providing exceptional value" part that makes me laugh - "we're upping the price by 25% but don't worry, it's still exceptional value!" Here's a hint, Sony - it isn't you that gets to decide the level of value your service provides. It's your customers.
The value Sony alludes to is the combined RRP of the games you are given in a month. That is not decided by anyone. It's just a fact.

geordiemp

So Value wise it will be

Xblive >> PSN+ >> Nintendo online

Who would of thought MS would be offering the best value lol.

Note : Nintendo is cheaper but you get a joke of an online system for your money.

Kovacs

I was very on the fence about continuing my subscription once FIFA and Rocket League hit Switch, but I jumped on that 15 month for £30 deal on Amazon.

They now have 15 months to convince me that its worth the cost which I suspect will be a hard challenge given that this is the second year in a row they've raised the price and by not an insignificant amount percentage-wise.

Ideally Sony (and MS) would offer three packages - game + multiplayer or just games or just multiplayer.

For my own use, Nintendos online system may not be all singing and dancing, but if you look at the cost comparison and the games I play are available on both (plus Nintendo has more exclusives that I play online) it makes it hard to justify retaining the Sony sub.

For most the comparison will be with Xbox Live which they are now more expensive than. Soon with the XBOX they'll have a less powerful system with a more expensive online service that isn't as fast or reliable as the competition and it would be interesting to see how many of the hardcore jump ship.

Shin

Banned
Xblive >> PSN+ >> Nintendo online

How though, Xbox has been 60 euro for a while (official price since discount would apply to both) and the games doesn't seem to be better or people would be overjoyed.
My take on the whole subscription and especially PC users coming in with Steam, either console players are paying $5 per month to play online or they are playing for free and paying $5 per month for a game.
If there's a game that they throw in that's fun then great even better, not gonna cry because like all things in life prices go up whether we like it or not it's how the world works.
On top of that Rocket League, Battlefield and the likes have a far larger player base on consoles, so personally I'd rather game on that and pay the $5 per month.
Then there's the more frequent sales which are affected by PS+, I'm too lazy to do the math but you'll probably save more money in the end than you're spending on PS+.

Trying to be constructive about it and the way I see it, others might agree or disagree and that's fine, I rather have a proper discussion than read hit and run posts.
Plus within the 12 months time there's bound to be sales where you can get a year's sub for cheaper than the price Sony is asking, plan properly and snatch it when on sale.

down 2 orth

Guys don't worry, that extra ten quid is going to help Sony stay in profit this year and deal with their other failing divisions.

geordiemp

How though, Xbox has been 60 euro for a while (official price since discount would apply to both) and the games doesn't seem to be better or people would be overjoyed.

Not been a while since I paid a live sub, not since my 360 before ps4 launched, so maybe I was remembering the old pricing.

Guys don't worry, that extra ten quid is going to help Sony stay in profit this year and deal with their other failing divisions.

Probably, and the 20 bucks will be Nintendo like profits along with amiibo unlocks for basic game functionality (hard modes), and for MS will be a drop in the ocean lol

Maybe console makers want to secretly drive everyone to PC and is some cunning plan.

Plasma

Banned
Wouldn't mind if they made their online infrastructure better but I still get terrible download speeds. Bit of a contrast with steam which I don't pay anything for and can download anything super quick.

Top Bottom