• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PlayStation Plus price increasing to £49.99 / year from 31st August 2017

Bunga

Ugh. This is really shitty. I already thought PS+ was a bit of a rip off, certainly do now. A 25% increase is enormous.

I won't be renewing.

chunk3rvd

I've posted this a few times in the EU cheap ass thread but a lot of you won't read that and now's as good a time as any to repost.

If you have access to and O2 or unlocked phone handset, you can currently get a year's PS+ for £22 with the following steps:

1. Go to the O2 shop website and order an International Pay and Go sim. They have several different pay and go sims. It has to be the international one as that's the only one where this offer works
2. When your sim arrives, pop it into your phone and dial 4444 to top up. Follow the prompts and topup your sim with £11
3. Once you've topped up, text FREE10 to 21500
4. After about an hour, you'll get a text confirming £10 free credit has been applied to your account. You now have £21 credit
5. Go to the PSN website and choose to top up your funds by mobile phone. Choose a £20 topup, enter your number and reply Y to the text it sends you (the text costs 10p which is why you need £21 of credit)

You now have £20 of PSN credit for £11. Top up twice and you can renew your PS+ for a year. You can only use 3 different phone numbers per PSN account in a 30 day period so the most you can get using this is £60 in one month.

More details and loads of Q&A are in this HUKD thread

BONUS ROUND: make sure to click through Quidco or Top Cashback when you go to the O2 store. You get £5 cashback per sim, reducing the total cost to £6 for £20 PSN credit

The game industry deserves a crash for the way it treats consumers. Higher prices, more subscriptions, paying for extra content, grinding/F2P business models in full price games.

The industry needs a reset.

giphy.gif

mclem

Curious why the quarterly one is a rather greater proportional increase than monthly or annually. - heck, there's now just £1 difference between a quarterly purchase and three monthly purchases.

Edit: Huh, hadn't noticed that the Euros one goes the other way, individual months cheaper than the quarterly cost. That really makes no sense.

AHA-Lambda

Considering games have now seemed to sit on the £50 mark now, this isn't too surprising

Still shit, much like that £50 RRP is in general frankly

The only way they can justify this is by increasing the number of (relatively recent) AAA releases in PS+, while simultaneously dramatically increasing PSN servers and speeds.

I have my doubts that either will happen but hopefully I'm proven wrong.
in the mean time I'll just keep buying discounted prepaid PSN cards from cdkeys.

- reminder to everyone to disable auto-renew and use prepaid cards instead. Also activate 2-factor on you're account while you are there.

RoyalFool

Banned
Been a subscriber since day one, just turned off my auto renewal. I just don't play online enough to justify that cost, imagine others are in the same boat.

Pure greed on their behalf, and stupid as a lot of the folks who unsub are likely to consider other platforms in future. They had me for life at the old price.

ryushe

My subscription ended last month and while i was in the process of renewing, I had a thought: why am I even paying for this? Other than syncing my saves to the bedroom PS4, which I usually have to do manually (also, this is something the XB1 does for free and automatically), I literally have no use for this service anymore.

So yeah, good riddance PS+.

MrS

Banned
I'm disgusted by this because they basically have me over a barrel because I play a lot of games online. They have provided no rationale for the increase, the service is getting worse month-on-month, and then they send you a 'fuck you, pay me' email. Arrogant Sony has definitely returned.

Glad there’s no exclusive multiplayer games I want on consoles. Everything is on my pc and finally destiny will be coming to my pc.

My consoles are for singleplayer exclusives only.

Feel great about letting my membership expire.

Maybe I'll do a month when a big online game I care about is out but having a year long membership felt like a waste of money for me when the free games duck and I wasn't playing online regularly

Rourkey

I don't mind then charging for this I appreciate it costs money but this is a bit ridiculous if anything with the success of the PS4 the cost of this should be coming down due to economies of scale, this looks and feels like a money grab!

Temujen

Neo Member
How far do the 12-month-cards stack? I bought two and now the next payment date is June 2020 - is there a limit, or can you just keep extending it?

EmiPrime

Been a subscriber since day one, just turned off my auto renewal. I just don't play online enough to justify that cost, imagine others are in the same boat.

Pure greed on their behalf, and stupid as a lot of the folks who unsub are likely to consider other platforms in future. They had me for life at the old price.

They had you for life at £40 a year at the auto-renew price even though you were paying £10+ more than necessary but a £10 hike on that is too much? You will have no difficulties getting £40 codes after the price hike, don't you worry.

I'm disgusted by this because they basically have me over a barrel because I play a lot of games online. They have provided no rationale for the increase, the service is getting worse month-on-month, and then they send you a 'fuck you, pay me' email. Arrogant Sony has definitely returned.

How is it getting worse month on month? Some of you are so over-dramatic, if you are frugal you are not paying RRP so Sony don't "have you over a barrel". It's like complaining about £55 RRP games when Amazon are selling them for £40.

Wiped89

Damn, I missed that £29.99 deal by a single day (got paid the day after).

No way am I forking out £50. No chance in hell.

SentryDown

Good thing I took the Amazon Prime deal two weeks ago then, 15 extra months for half price. Not sure if I'll extend further afterwards, I'm playing these PS+ games less and less.

Sorry Sony. Unless you give a detailed report why your increasing the price I'm cancelling my subscription. I seldom play online and very few IGC interest me so this just saves me £50 each year!!!

They gonna need to make PS+ a lot better to get me to pay for PS+ when their servers are kinda bad as well.
Until Dawn was nice as is Just Cause 3 though

Certinty

Thankfully I have about 18 months left of my current subscription. After that however there's zero chance I continue, £50 to esentially receive games I'll never play and to just play Rocket League online? No thanks.

Can't believe PS+ went from being incredible on the PS3 to this.

luminous

Cant wait to pay even more of a ripoff price for a bunch of shit I never asked for when all I wanted was to play Overwatch

Anung

Un Rama
Wow, Sony can go fuck themselves.

Aside from a few decent months here and there the monthly games suck and they've put next to no effort into improving the service itself (apart from making the video/apps screen a huge advertisement) and it's download speeds.

Edit: luckily I got 15 months for 27 quid but if I can't find a decent price like that after it's ran out then I'm done.

Metalmarc

Only ever use Plus for Free games, i don't play online anyways and it just so happens that some of the games they give free recently until dawn/just cause 3 i own anyway

Goodbye from me

MrS

Banned
How is it getting worse month on month? Some of you are so over-dramatic, if you are frugal you are not paying RRP so Sony don't "have you over a barrel". It's like complaining about £55 RRP games when Amazon are selling them for £40.
Because none of the recent PS+ games look remotely interesting to me?

MrS

Banned
Even this and previous month?
August and July, sure. Just Cause 3 looks woeful, it reviewed poorly and I've heard it runs badly. I'm not remotely interested in an Assassin's Creed standalone either because Ubisoft haven't put out a good game in years. Already own Downwell. From last month I already own Until Dawn and have no interest in GoT. June wasn't great either, was it?

Cc23830

i own a PS4 pro, xbox one S and a fairly good PC and this hike, even though its " just £1 a month" is enough for me to say fuck it and ditch the console. the service was already dodgy and The slow download speeds are ridiculous on my 300mbs internet connection.

Goodbye old friend, we had a good run.

EmiPrime

Because none of the recent PS+ games look remotely interesting to me?

Then you have very narrow taste in games. There has been a lot of diversity across genres recently on PS+ (Alienation, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Downwell, Tales from the Borderlands, Darkstalkers, Tokyo Jungle, Freedom Cry...).

August and July, sure. Just Cause 3 looks woeful, it reviewed poorly and I've heard it runs badly. I'm not remotely interested in an Assassin's Creed standalone either because Ubisoft haven't put out a good game in years. Already own Downwell. From last month I already own Until Dawn and have no interest in GoT. June wasn't great either, was it?

Well the bolded is bollocks. No point discussing if you're going to make blanket statements like that.

Endo Punk

The game industry deserves a crash for the way it treats consumers. Higher prices, more subscriptions, paying for extra content, grinding/F2P business models in full price games.

The industry needs a reset.

They treat their consumers like shit because unlike any other entertainment medium we are the biggest sheeps.

MrS

Banned
Then you have very narrow taste in games. There has been a lot of diversity across genres recently on PS+ (Alienation, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Downwell, Tales from the Borderlands, Darkstalkers, Tokyo Jungle, Freedom Cry...).
Haha yeah, sure I do. What makes you think I didn't already own some or most of those games?

Well the bolded is bollocks. No point discussing if you're going to make blanket statements like that.
In your opinion, perhaps. I don't buy Ubisoft games anymore because they're usually awful.

Nevermind, on to the ignore list you go.

EmiPrime

Haha yeah, sure I do. What makes you think I didn't already own some or most of those games?

You said that the recent games aren't remotely interesting to you and yet you bought several of them.

Huh?

In your opinion, perhaps. I don't buy Ubisoft games anymore because they're usually awful.

Nevermind, on to the ignore list you go.

Ah right that's how it is. My ignore list is used for gators and bigots, didn't know some people are so precious that they use theirs for disagreements regarding an online subscription service.

Freeman76

Im really starting to dislike Sony. Buying a PRO was a bit of a con as the support most games have is shit. Sony are now starting to squeeze the balls of their customers which I also dislike.

The annoying thing is they have the best games by a mile. I would just switch back to MS but then I would be missing too many brilliant games.

CDkeys to the rescue. I managed to grab 12 months for £33 this morning before they hiked the price up. My sub was nearly up, and I only did this because D2 is out soon, otherwise I just wouldnt have bothered.

Rektash

The thing that really irks me here is the gall of increasing your prices when your service is as shit as it is. PSN is already super profitable, yet they increase prices even more despite their service being ass.

Terrible free games, bad download speeds, you get hacked occasionally and unreachable/slow services during weekends due to their network not being able to take the load (in my region at least).

Top Bottom