• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PlayStation Plus price increasing to £49.99 / year from 31st August 2017

Auctopus

I just renewed for a year about 2 months ago. If I renew again before the price hike, will it stack on to my current 12 month subscription?

i.e. will I be covered until 2019?

I saw the email title here in South Africa, and I thought, "Finally, they're lowering the inflated price to match the exchange rate."

Nope. Instead it was, "Please be happy that we're increasing the cost to more than the UK and Aus, almost the same as Europe. No, we don't give a shit about you third world peasants. Fuck you, give us money."

oti

Banned
I'm such an idiot for not picking up my 12 months card for 30 Euros a few days ago. Got 15 months for 35 Euros through Amazon and thought that was enough. :[

Baleoce

And yet the message they're likely to receive from this (from a business perspective) is an increase in annual sub sales as people clamour to get the best price before the hike. There'll probably be no practical backlash, which is just sad.

Audioboxer

Ah, yeah, I forgot the low hanging fruit joke in my first post, so, "arrogant Sony is back".

There we go, crisis averted.

But yeah, first time I'll let Plus lapse for a while. I mostly play SP games anyway and I see no reason for a £10 hike.

Sub ends in November for me.

DavidDesu

Name change? Hahahahahaha.

Only game I play online is Rocket League and I've not really had a PS+ game I've actually wanted to play for quite some time now.

I'll probably just try and buy a cheap 12 months code online soon and that'll be me set through to 2019. Can't see me not paying for PS+ anytime soon but this does sting a little. Considering the hundreds of hours I must have played Rocket League it probably is good "value", meh. They really should start giving access to some PS Now titles or something for that price though, you don't really get much besides the free games and the odd discount here or there but that's minimal. How else do you benefit?

Nintendo's pricing seems reasonable (what was it £20 a year?). Sony should offer something like that just for playing online and unbundle the PS+ games. Equally so (if Vue ever comes to the UK) they should do premium PS+ that includes Vue as well as games, maybe one including unlimited PS Now streaming too..

Well this isn't ideal. Was planning to subscribe to play New Everybody's Golf, which is basically an online-only game by the looks of it. Though it helps that the game itself can be found for a reasonable price I guess.

That's the problem though, unless you're deeply invested in a single platform or online game it's hard to justify subscriptions like this -- I used to subscribe just to get cloud saves for my Vita, which is crazy when you think about it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Laughable. Thanks to the recent Amazon deal I'm signed up for a while but we'll see if they can justify that price hike going forward because as of right now, they can't.

I hate when companies tell you what they're doing but why. Though given the reason is likely pure greed, that would explain the lack of reasoning.

Good job Amazon had that sale recently. My PS Plus is sorted well into 2019.

Kouriozan

I let my sub expire a few months ago and glad I did, never play online and the free games are pretty bad for a JRPG fan like me.

I bought a years sub recently so I'll have a chance to see where the service is going before deciding but an extra tenner may definitely be the final straw if I were deciding right now. I don't play online very much so my main incentive for plus is the instant game collection which unfortunately has been a very mixed bag in recent times.

*Splinter

I hate when companies tell you what they're doing but why. Though given the reason is likely pure greed, that would explain the lack of reasoning.

Good job Amazon had that sale recently. My PS Plus is sorted well into 2019.
The "why" is because they think they'll make more money at this price. "Greed" is a very naïve way to look at a business's decisions.

Whether or not they are correct remains to be seen. 25% price hike in return for the loss of subscriptions and goodwill. Many people value online play highly though, so I suspect they'll be fine.

VegiHam

The "why" is because they think they'll make more money at this price. "Greed" is a very naïve way to look at a business's decisions.

Whether or not they are correct remains to be seen. 25% price hike in return for the loss of subscriptions and goodwill. Many people value online play highly though, so I suspect they'll be fine.

So 'more money' and 'greed' are different motives?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At least in UK the 3-month subscription is still slightly advantageous. In other EU countries they've made it more expensive than just subscribing month-by-month, rendering it absolutely pointless. Lol.

Anybody else notice that it's actually cheaper to be three 1 month subcription than one for 3 months (in Euros, that is)? Lol..

Audioboxer

lol, the email doesn't even attempt any PR fluff like "our fantastic PS plus service" or "we'll be adding great value content to your PS devices each month" or "just wait to see what is to come for the PS families in 2017 and beyond".

Just, here's your price increase, if you don't want it, do this....

k90s44c.png

Even PR is arrogant Sony.

PaulLFC

lol, the email doesn't even attempt any PR fluff like "our fantastic PS plus service" or "we'll be adding great value content to your PS devices each month" or "just wait to see what is to come for the PS families in 2017 and beyond".

Just, here's your price increase, if you don't want it, do this....

Even PR is arrogant Sony.
They did say this as part of their statement to Eurogamer:

We are changing the pricing to reflect various market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members.
:lol what "exceptional value" would that be?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
#4thepayers
Timing of this is ironic considering that hooked on PSN thread.

Audioboxer

They did say this as part of their statement to Eurogamer:

:lol what "exceptional value" would that be?

Okay, but, Sony, your PR email will be seen by countless millions, Eurogamer's article by a fraction. That email is just shoddy all round from a PR standpoint. A teenager in high school studying entry level business studies could tell you if you're increasing your prices by like 25% you release an email of "epic proportions" to try and cover your lust for £££$$$.

*Splinter

So 'more money' and 'greed' are different motives?
"More money" is literally their purpose for existing. Describing that as greed is true but meaningless - this is no more or less "greedy" than their decision to make online play free on PS3 (or literally any other decision, that's just a contrasting example).

Freeman76

Fucking Sony are back their arrogant nonsense. Dont support this crap, cdkeys have plus for 33 quid, and another 5 % off if you like them on fb.

Storm360

Don't be silly, it's way better than it was back on the PS3, this is quite the price hike though.

Eh, in my experiences it's been about the same, maybe slightly better but still nothing worth paying for, then again though I'm a Rock Band player so I'm naturally quite pissy with Sony Europe

Top Bottom